Thread: Any nes games without glitches

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any nes games without glitches

I am seeing that all nes games I come across there is a video only that show that games glitches. Is there any game you know if that has no glitches what so ever? If not then why does this happen in all nes games?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I'm sort of just talking out my ass, but there are very few games that I've played that haven't frozen or glitched out in some wierd way, requiring me to reset them.

I suspect that may be because developers and debuggers can't possibly test every possible permutation of environmental circumstances, gameplay styles and inventory status to see just what would happen in every instance.

Modern games have tons of glitches too. Just about anything Bethesda puts out barely works. My PC version of L.A. Noire is giving me shit about 5.1 sound (it's outputting in stereo! WTF? I might as well have bought a console version.) Aliens Infestation crashed my 3DS last week. I don't know why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Tetris.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Queen_Zoe

Any complex game is pretty much guaranteed to have a glitch or two somewhere. The important thing is figuring out if those glitches do anything to interfere with regular game play. They almost never do.

Glitch videos of NES games are popular because the NES was and is very popular. Master System games have glitches, but those videos almost never get the audience that NES games do.

In relation to skaar's post, the licensed version of Tetris definitely has glitches. You can use the demo to start the game with four lines already cleared. More glitches exist, and they've been used during the TAS videos. Again though, they're nothing that would interfere with regular game play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

It depends on what you mean by glitches. A glitch can refer to anything at all that can occur without the programmer's intention. By that definition, its very difficult to find any game at all ever that does not have glitches, now so more than ever.

The larger, more complex and open ended you make a game the more options players have to try things the programmers didn't intend. This is why play testers are so vital to the debug process. These days, they're often called "beta testers" but no matter what you call them, they're importance can't be denied.

Personally, I hope glitches never go away. There are some truly fantastic ones that can greatly boost the enjoyment of many oldschool games. Some of my favorite examples are map warping in Zelda Link's Awakening and wall jumping to get to the top of the castle in Mario 64.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Damn... I always thought of Tetris as pretty clean glitchwise, as I can't think of any graphical glitches I had ever seen - but I do recall some audio ones.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Audio glitches are fine, but game play ones aren't because they take away from how the games should be played and add frustration when it happens. Some of the glitches are almost impossible to come across and I can't fault the makers of it and other make you say "Did they really test this game out before shipping it or say fuck it where on a dead line so no time to test it through so here you go." Most notable for me is rush 2 when you go off a jump really high toward a building you go into nothingness and have to restart the car to continue or how in the stunt track there is the long half track jump that if you go up it fast enough you go through the ceiling. This is what I really hate. Before I make this go on forever I say good day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never met a glitch i didn't like. The Mario 64 backwards Z jump up the stairs momentum glitch is probably the best ever made IMHO.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

I love glitches. Hittin the water-guy in Trojan and making him land on the ground, Getting the spider or whatever to shoot through Indiana Jones' neck, making the SMS Rampage characters slide on their asses across the ground...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

One thing you can do is buy an iNESternet internet adapter and download the updates/patches for those games.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I rarely encounter glitches, but I think that may be because I primarily play Japanese games. The Western game industry seems to be more accepting of glitches since patches are a norm. Plus I'm guessing Japanese games go through two runs of QA (in Japan and then during localization). I also don't tend to attempt to do really wonky things in games.

Pretty much any game will glitch under the right circumstances. It's not so much that a game "has" glitches, as in having a section of bad code, but rather the code won't function as expected when receiving input that wasn't expected. The important difference is how the glitch is encountered. If you have to do something really precise and outlandish, then who cares. If you encounter a glitch just through normal playing, then it's a problem.