Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
I don't use cheap speakers with my setups. Even when my PCs are connected at my desktop, I'm using a ($240 in 1993) RCA all-in-one stereo (2.1 surround) that has a built-in sub and Dolby NR. I decided to do a little test this evening, using a Sony headset (compared very well with my brother's studio headset he used in sound production) a CD played directly from the stereo and then from my 2009 HP media center PC. I paused the music, cranked up the volume and listened for any hiss or hum sounds; It was clean of any system interference. The music quality was about the same, be it from the PC CD player, the RCA stereo (when RCA used to be good) or a Pansonic MP3/CD player. The high range was crisp, the mid-range was clear and the bass wasn't distorted.

I ask you this. Do you think the soundchips in the Xbox 360 and PS3 are garbage?

I believe it's pretty telling, when MaximumPC lists the best of the best, and they don't even bother to mention sound cards.

http://www.maximumpc.com/best-of-the-best

And their media PC uses onboard sound as well.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...pc_living_room
1. You're using an all in one system and you're going to try and tell me that you don't use cheap speakers? I can guarantee you that you have cheap speakers and you will never hear the interference or hiss. Also, RCA hasn't been good for 40 years. And back in 1993, $230 was cheap. Just remember that a CD player was about $800. A good receiver cost about $400-$500. And you can add another $400 and up for speakers. And this was for good quality consumer end components, not even audiophile components. I hate to tell you, but you have the definition of cheap. Your speakers are most likely made out of straight paper, have poor signal to noise ratio, frequency response, and it doesn't end there. Your "sub" isn't really a sub. It's a full range speaker. I'll bet that the speaker cabinets are made out of plastic or particle board, not solid wood. Beyond the speakers, the amplifier driving them isn't a great amplifier either. Sony, also has never been known for great speakers or head phones. You think that the highs are crisp, the mids are clear. But ignorance is truly bliss. If you think that an RCA all in one system from 1993 is decent then you don't know quality.

2. Now, as for the X-Box/PS3 comment, that depends. If you're using stereo via the composite, yes. If you're using optical or HDMI then the X-Box or the PS3 aren't doing the processing. The receiver you're connecting them to is. Therefor the onboard sound has nothing to do with the sound quality.

3. Maximum PC is not any sort of authority on sound quality. And just because they don't list a sound card on that little list is not indicative of anything.

4. How many times do I have to say this? Sure, their media PC has onboard sound. My media PC has onboard sound. But, like them I'm sending the audio to the receiver via the HDMI on the video card. The onboard isn't used, just like in the case of the X-Box/PS3. The audio is processed by the receiver.

I suggest you go hang out on the Head-Fi or Audioholics forums and find out what quality is and learn more on this subject.