Thread: Volition's Jameson Durall says banning pre-owned games is "fantastic" [Escapist]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought Red Faction used due to good reviews for $10 years ago. The risks were small so I didn't mind taking it. Ended up playing through it a few years later, liked it, and went out and bought the sequel new for $20 as a Greatest Hits rerelease and bought the newer games as they were released (Both of which I've yet to spend any significant time with).

If I'm unable to do that in the future, the Volition's of the world can rest assured I won't be taking a risk on their software. I'll buy as I play (Maybe 3-4 big games a year on a console) and won't be buying games with intentions of playing them years down the road since I very well won't be able to due to DRM since I won't really be owning them (So there's $120 Volition wouldn't have from me if the 360 had been that way). So I'd be sticking with safe bets I'm sure I'll enjoy, such as Zelda games from Nintendo and would concentrate even more on classic gaming. And I sure as heck wouldn't be willing to pay anything near $50, $60, or more for pieces of software I don't really own.

Smaller developers like Volition was a decade ago can rest assured that they won't ever get my dollars in their idea of a Utopian future for game developers and publishers that represents vastly increased risks for the consumer with each purchase. I was exposed to their Red Faction series since the risk were low thanks to used games and I could enjoy the game on my own terms when and if I decided to ever do so. And wouldn't you know it, the game was good when I played it and encouraged me to buy future installments new.

If they put half the concern they have about the used game market into their game development where it belongs, I think they'd see significant increases in revenue as consumers like myself positively respond with their wallets. Discouraging consumers sure isn't the way to an improved balance sheet at the end of a year.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-20-2012 at 05:49 PM.