Thread: NES and SNES RetroPort GameCube adapter video review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Thirty bucks? Is that really a decent price? If so, I'm kicking myself for not picking up the one I saw last year for $10.
    I'm not sure if you're aware that you need the disc too, otherwise it's a useless chunk of plastic and metal. And yes, I had been failing for weeks to win one on eBay with the disc for less than $40, so when I saw one in a store for $30 I bought it instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix
    There is no input lag whatsoever on the NES or SNES RetroPorts from Retrozone. They're completely fantastic.
    I didn't really think so, Kirby's Dream Land seemed a bit sluggish but I've only ever played the game for a few minutes, so I guess it could just be me not being used to the controls. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it.

Overall I am very pleased with this product and with it and the Game Boy Player hope to rediscover the Game Boy family of titles after spending many years away from them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Someone at AtariAge swears that the Game Boy Player has perceptible input lag even when using wired controllers and a standard definition CRT. So while myself and everyone else there said he was nuts, perhaps there's a bit of truth there and you're noticing it as well. The adapter shouldn't be doing it since it's just a cable. Never had any issues with mine and I'm pleased with it. Use it on my Wii from time to time for Wii compilations, SuperNes games on the Virtual Console, etc.

If you're satisfied using it for your Game Boy Player, that's great. But I suspect the first time you try playing a game that relies on you routinely using both buttons at the same time (Particularly if you have to hold down A while using B, such as jumping while running), I think you're going to be annoyed having to use SuperNes A and B instead of Y and B. That's why I quickly stopped using mine for that purpose.

GameStop's regular price for Game Boy Player's, disc and all, is $9.99. Bought several spares and I've seen others mention purchasing it for that price at GameStop in recent months, so I assume it's still somewhat available with the same price (Although I imagine stock varies greatly these days for any GCN stuff). $30 is a bit steep but for such a great accessory, overpaying a bit for it isn't too big of a deal especially if you're pleased with it.

Pretty sure I paid $50 or so to buy mine new 7 or 8 years ago and it was worth every penny and then some.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-24-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I registered just to say that my SNES RetroPort maps Y and X to select. I bought it recently so this may have changed.

I can spit out an item in Kirby and navigate the GameShark menu - both which use select. Let me know if this is new. He may have updated the converter.

Also, I prefer the Super Famicom controller to the GBA w/link cable.