Thread: Sega CDX Tracking Motor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got som Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray and sprayed that Tracking motor and now its moving. before you could hear it try to move, but it didn't, but now it seems the spindle motor to it is not receiving power. connected directly to 2 AAs in a battery back it spins like it should, but connected to the MB it dosent move at all and dosent seem to receive enough voltage to spin.

Ahh CDX, fix one thing and another thing goes wrong...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Make sure you didn't swap the the spindle connector and the inner detect switch, they use the same type plug, the spindle motor should connect to CN502 and the switch should connect to CN507.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah thanks that wasn't it though unfortunally. though it is defentally to easy to get those two connectors mixed up

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm back with my perpertually broken Sega CDX.
    I got both motors to move now, just the clicking so its seems like the switch that detects when the CD Lens Assembly is all the way in is not working now.

What would be the easiest way to test that, though it also could be that its polarity is mixed up as when i was trying to remove the connectors, i pulled the wires out of it my accident have them back in now and stripped back the wire so it would make contact with the metal (and used a little bit of solder to help)

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedMoogleXIII View Post
    I'm back with my perpertually broken Sega CDX.
    I got both motors to move now, just the clicking so its seems like the switch that detects when the CD Lens Assembly is all the way in is not working now.
    When you say clicking is it clicking from the start when the laser moves to the inside or is it after it spins up the CD?

The reason I ask is I just got another CDX (the old one I had has a dead CD mother board) and the problem with this one was the laser and both motors where dead. So I went to salvaging parts from the other CDX one at a time. I got up to the point where the laser was moving to the inside, picking up that there was a disc, and spinning up the disc but when it would get to the point of reading the disk all I got was a clicking after a few seconds it would stop clicking and stop spinning the disc. That was at about 1AM I have to get up at 6AM for work so I didn’t get to do too much testing after that.

The easiest way I can think to test the switch is to move the laser to the outside remove the spindle motor that will give you access to the switch (you might need something to push it in) power up the CDX push the lid close switch the laser will start to move push the switch in the laser assembly if the laser stops it works.

But if yours is spinning up the CD the switch works as the switch is how the laser knows where to look to see if there’s a disc inserted.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know why but this didn't get bumped when I replied earlier so I'm doing it now.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Insert Coin (Level 0) mylifewithsega's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JM587683

Hey, I'm A.J. Good to meet you all. This thread actually brought me here. One of my subscribers is having an issue with the Sega CDX where the motor spins the opposite direction before it rights yourself. Even then, it's hit or miss when it comes to actually reading the disc. Could that be tied to a power supply issue, like using the wrong AC adapter?