Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
I'm not sure how much of an affect humidity would have, but heat is sure to speed up the data loss. What happens in EEROMs is that bits are held high by an electric field(or low by the lack of one). That field slowly dissipates over time as electrons escape...which is sped up the hotter it is. This is why they were only guaranteed to last 10 years or so.

I would certainly hope that all proto-collectors are aware of this, though I'm pretty sure that most at least make personal ROM dumps right?
Well, the contacts looked like total shit on these carts. I had to scrape oxidation off some of them (tin colored, not gold, heh). Once a light sanding was done and contacts checked with a multimeter, I was sure the contacts were in good shape. The two or three carts I saw this artifacting on all had EEPROMs, all came from Brazil, all had oxidized contacts. Coincidence? Well, possibly, I guess, but they seemed to have something to do with each other.

I would like to hear someone's opinion on how humidity could affect an EEPROM, because jb143 is right, it is unlikely when thinking intuitively, but as I've stated, I've been witness to such phenomena, um, maybe, heh.

-Rob