Thread: SMS HU card games.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

there are quite a few My Card games left in Japan which are quite enjoyable if you can appreciate mid/early 80's style gaming

here are some I own:
    Bank Panic
    Bomb Jack
    C-SO!
    Champion Billiards
    Champion Boxing
    Champion Ice Hockey
    Championship Lode Runner
    Chack 'n' Pop
    Choplifter
    Elevator Action
    H.E.R.O.
    Monaco GP
    Pit Pot the Magical Castle
    Pitfall II The Lost Caverns
    Soukoban
    Star Force
    Super Tank
    Woody Pop: Shinjinrui no Block Kuzushi
    Zoom 909

Champion Billiards is an excellent game of pool by Compile, the music is surprisingly good for the era ~ but of course Compile has always been known for their excellent compositions
    Choplifter is a great version of that game, and very enjoyable
    Champion Boxing is rather good and quite unique
    Woody Pop is one of my favorite ball&paddle/block games, and controls fantastically with the paddle controller
    Star Force is pretty good
    Elevator Action is fun
    C-So! is a neat action game from Compile
    Bomb Jack is very good
    the only games I listed above which I don't enjoy are Load Runner and Soukoban

And it should be noted, these were introduced in 1985 along with the Hudson Bee Card for MSX computers.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 05-14-2013 at 04:44 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

when I saw Pitfall 2 on there I was excited because I love the Atari 2600 version. Upon looking up videos I have to say. the Atari version is a lot better, specially the music even.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Aren't the Card games that were left in Japan for the SG-1000 Mark II? That would explain why they are so primitive/awful.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Yes most all of the My Card games were first released for SG-1000 compatible systems.
    A couple later ones like Woody Pop are strictly Mark III compatible.

Calling them all "awful" is rather ignorant and unfairly dismissive. These games were designed in 1985, if you can't appreciate them in that context, and for the simple straight forward challenges they offer then that's fine, but awful as a blanket statement is almost juvenile.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    when I saw Pitfall 2 on there I was excited because I love the Atari 2600 version. Upon looking up videos I have to say. the Atari version is a lot better, specially the music even.
    It's a port of SEGA's arcade version.

While the 2600 game is an absolutely spectacular piece of 2600 software, the arcade game is a hell of a lot of fun.

I only wish the SMS/SG-1000 version didn't skimp on the graphical detail of the arcade. The Sega home version is n odd hybrid of the arcade and Atari versions.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    It's a port of SEGA's arcade version.

While the 2600 game is an absolutely spectacular piece of 2600 software, the arcade game is a hell of a lot of fun.

I only wish the SMS/SG-1000 version didn't skimp on the graphical detail of the arcade. The Sega home version is n odd hybrid of the arcade and Atari versions.
    Oh, man... I had no idea this version existed. Yet another version of this game I'm going to have to track down! But can anyone tell me if the Japanese My Card games will work on an American system?
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Not on the Master System. Unless there's 1986 or later My Card games with western-style header.

Genesis removed that check and should run anything full Mark III mode.
    Lum fan.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

+1 for Ghost House. I remember my brother and I put a lot of time into that game when we were kids.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Calling them all "awful" is rather ignorant and unfairly dismissive. These games were designed in 1985, if you can't appreciate them in that context, and for the simple straight forward challenges they offer then that's fine, but awful as a blanket statement is almost juvenile.
    Yeah, fair enough. More accurately, the sega card games are awfully aged.

Thing is, that I like the Master System. A lot, in fact. Even so, none of the games on the card format stand the test of time in the same way many of the cartridge games do. I compare the Sega card games to the more forgettable entries in the NES black box series like Urban Champion or Baseball, and I think it's an apt comparison. Games like Urban Champion are equally as awfully aged for the NES and just as unrecommended.

The games on the card format unfortunately just don't amount to anything better than that level of quality overall. My Hero and Transbot are about the best on the format, but even those pale in comparison to the library available on cartridge. This thread is someone asking which ones are worth buying, and really, none of them are worth buying. It's a failed format for a reason. The best use of the card slot is for the Sega 3D glasses, not any actual Sega card games.
    Last edited by Satoshi_Matrix; 05-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I like Teddy Boy, My Hero and I especially love Ghost House.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ghost House and Spy Vs Spy are the only two I own which I really enjoy, so that's my input for this thread. I think there were only like 6 titles released for the SMS on Sega Card in the US. I should really just pick up the two I'm missing and be done with the set.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally beat level 1..geeze, level 2 was fine until those spitting frogs.

DDoes my hero exist in any other console form that more closely matches the arcade version?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally beat level 1..geeze, level 2 was fine until those spitting frogs.

DDoes my hero exist in any other console form that more closely matches the arcade version?
    I've been playing a little My Hero here and there as I recover from a nasty ear infection, and I am up to level 3, and I too know the pain of those damn spitting frogs. There is some spot in the 3rd level where a team of two frogs keep me from going any further. I wish you could kill those bastards as they have a strange hit bubble around them that I struggle to jump over and avoid.

If the Almighty Wikipedia is to be believed, the Sega Master System port is the only port of My Hero.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally beat level 1..
    I clicked into this thread and this was as far as I got and I knew what game you had to be talking about lol

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scotterpop View Post
    Oh, man... I had no idea this version existed. Yet another version of this game I'm going to have to track down! But can anyone tell me if the Japanese My Card games will work on an American system?
    Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Not on the Master System. Unless there's 1986 or later My Card games with western-style header.

Genesis removed that check and should run anything full Mark III mode.
    Be careful here, since there's some fuzziness about whether we're talking about SG-1000 cards or Mark III/SMS cards. Just to be clear, none of the SG-1000 games will run on the Genesis, because it doesn't support the TMS9918 video modes. You'll get a black screen with game sounds, but no video.

The same is true of F-16 Fighting Falcon, and a handful of unlicensed and/or Korean SMS titles (mostly MSX ports) that also used those modes.

In addition, all the SG-1000 games have incorrect colors (too dark) on Mark III/SMS hardware. Some games aren't harmed too much, and I believe some others were adjusted for the new palette, but a few SG-1000 games are borderline unplayable on SMS/Mark III because of it.

BTW the SG-1000 is basically a ColecoVision in all but name (the BIOS is the only major difference, plus the controllers obviously), and various people have been busily porting the SG-1000 library to CV. Other than buying a Dima 2-in-1, or using a Game Gear with a flashcart that sets up the right palette, that's the only way to experience SG-1000 games with the correct colors on US-released hardware.

I like the SG-1000 a lot, and in some ways I prefer the "feel" of its library to the ColecoVision's. I translated a couple games for it, which was fun, and other people have translated Black Onyx and Sokoban. There are only 5-6 games left that have any Japanese at all, and of those, only one requires the language IIRC (Loretta no Shouzou: Sherlock Holmes).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which games actually came on the card in the USA? official releases only

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts