Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

http://www.retrogamenetwork.com/2014...hback-release/

Coleco mini-arcade line sounds like it is coming back.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    http://www.retrogamenetwork.com/2014...hback-release/

Coleco mini-arcade line sounds like it is coming back.
    $100 says they'll be crappy sun-lit transparent LCDs like when Frogger was "re-released" a few years ago. No way they would actually do these justice with VFDs.

Also love that they show the Coleco Donkey Kong Junior tabletop that was never released - way to do your research! Um.. I mean type "coleco tabletop" into Google Images. They should have posted pictures of the Omega Race tabletop mockup while they were at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Considering the fact that dk jr is a rebranded nintendo game & watch they likely dont have access to that mold unlike the other so maybe thats why. I also have that new Frogger youre ripping on both tabletop and handheld, also space invaders and pinball in handheld form too all from excalibur and theyre fantastic, superior really seeing that it saves high scores, has a mute button, and runs on far less battery power. I think theyd still go with the classic design if its not just some emulation package. I have to wonder who all of the license holders will let them do this between Nintendo Namco and Sega being involved. I would think Nintendo would be dicks about it, but Namco and Sega I could see them being fine due to other farmed out project tv game things.

who knows maybe they would do omega race if they have the old stuff on it after so long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I also have that new Frogger youre ripping on both tabletop and handheld, also space invaders and pinball in handheld form too all from excalibur and theyre fantastic, superior really seeing that it saves high scores, has a mute button, and runs on far less battery powe
    They're complete and utter garbage compared to the soft glow of a VFD, really unlike any other kind of display produced before or since. But man, new is superior, because that's what DP is all about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You know really I don't think the arrogance there was really warranted. So you hate the screen? Whoopdeedoo. DK Jr Coleco used it and it looked fine and that type Excalibur went back to with their stuff from last decade and it worked as nicely too. They're fine for what they are, cheap distractions. I like the VFD style equally so as I've got the coleco Pac-Man and DK, Entex Crazy Climber and the Parker Bros Q-Bert too so I have an even split between the types and I don't prefer one over the other.

It's going to come down to whatever this modern Coleco holder wants to do or can be allowed to do. If they have the rights to the old documents and stuff from the originals they may just duplicate the things with a more modern board inside to keep costs cheap. Hell they may be completely dickish and just make one like the arcade/home Pac-Man Party cabinet where you run an emulator(android likely) and a LCD/LED screen and have it do all the Coleco tabletops in one unit to keep costs down and increase desire to buy. It's really up in the air given what we've seen from resurrections before because even those old Mattel Eletronics games had a come back a decade ago and you could get it with the little red LEDs but there were also black and white cheapo LCD screen versions too like some Tiger handheld.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

For what's essentially the price of a Threshold cart, I'm in for 1 of the CV units, fo sho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bad news? Toys R Us is no longer showing the Colecovision, Intellivision, or Sega Genesis Flashback units as available for pre-order, presumably because they're sold out. If you want one, you'll have to wait until October 1st, which fortunately is right around the corner.