Thread: At Games Colecovision, Intellivision, 2600 Flashbacks Pre-order

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Yes, all audio in Pepper II is correct. Love those Exidy sounds. Terribly underrated game plagued with a stupid title - should have just called it Zipper like they originally intended.
    Good to hear that it's fully intact. That's one of the real gems here, but I was worried that this and the main theme might end up being edited out due to obvious reasons.

If there's ever an Arcade Flashback, I hope the arcade version makes the cut (Along with Venture, Mouse Trap, and Hard Hat to name three other Exidy favorites).

Speaking of Mouse Trap, odd that it's absent here yet Venture and Pepper II are included.

Frenzy and Venture play fine but suffer a little due to the sketchy joysticks. The large dead zone (in relation to the stick throw) that develops after the joysticks are broken in, coupled with the very short stick throw, means that it's easy to roll into unintended directions.
    Does controller #2 do anything in single player? If so, it might be worth rewiring an Atari Flashback joystick to keep plugged into port 2.

Most of my Colecovision time isn't spent with a real Colecovision controller, but rather, my favorite Atari 2600 compatible stick in the second controller port.

Edit: I have that backwards, I think. Haven't fired it up in a couple of years, but I think the workaround for many games requires plugging the Atari compatible stick into port 1, and using the keypad on the Coleco controller in port 2 to select your options.

It would be neat if this workaround still works with their emulator (I.e., if controller 2's keypad can be used to start a game in single player mode).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-28-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Does controller #2 do anything in single player? If so, it might be worth rewiring an Atari Flashback joystick to keep plugged into port 2.

Most of my Colecovision time isn't spent with a real Colecovision controller, but rather, my favorite Atari 2600 compatible stick in the second controller port.
    The pinout isn't right so anything other than the included controllers doesn't work right - the mapping is all screwy. On the Flashback if you hold both fire buttons on controller 1 upon power on, it will go to the diagnostic menu. One of the menus is an input test. Utilizing this it's possible to see just how messed up the mapping is. A standard VCS joystick allows you keypad 7 and keypad 9 (if I'm remembering correctly) as a couple of the joystick directions with everything else non-responsive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The pinout isn't right so anything other than the included controllers doesn't work right - the mapping is all screwy.
    That's why I was talking about rewiring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

That's why I was talking about rewiring.
    Re-reading your earlier post I see that now. If anything I would grab a couple connectors and make a patchbox but I'll wait for someone else to make a pinout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think AtariAge has had one up for weeks for rewiring the pinout to match the Colecovision's pinout. So it would be a trivial matter to apply this knowledge to a CX40 equivalent (And if it was an adapter like I think someone at AA is producing for the Intellivision model, it would be plug and play with Atari joysticks without any modification necessary).

The key question is if controller 2's keypad can be used to get a single player game going while using controller 1 to actually play the game with, like could be done with Coleco published software on the real deal.

If you have to start your game with controller 1's keypad, the value is defeated by the hassle of quickly changing controllers out (Although those really desperate could still come up with a solution).

Seems a shame, it's almost like they intentionally tried to not make these compatible. Even the overlays aren't compatible with the originals on at least one of the two new Flashbacks.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-28-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

If you have to start your game with controller 1's keypad, the value is defeated by the hassle of quickly changing controllers out (Although those really desperate could still come up with a solution).
    That works as expected but I think there are a couple games where you still have to decide your options with the first controller. I know the games that give you the standard blue Colecovision options screen will allow you to decide the game option with the second controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That works as expected but I think there are a couple games where you still have to decide your options with the first controller. I know the games that give you the standard blue Colecovision options screen will allow you to decide the game option with the second controller.
    Yeah, 3rd party titles are problematic in this regard.

But for 1st party, arcade style action, it's a much appreciated option.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone know why Toejam and Earl 1 or 2 never appears on these things or any compilation disc that Sega puts out? It must be some sort of strange licensing agreements with the characters.