Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
You're putting in a lot more time searching every nook and cranny.
It's done on purpose to extend the game time, this is how RPGs can advertise being 100+ hours long. They find ways to waste your time.

Actually that's something else I dislike with modern games, having multiple paths designed for multiple playthroughs. Usually these don't offer much like some very slightly different dialog to explain something in further detail, but you have to replay the game to get it all unlike older games where you can just further explore dialog options until everything is exhausted.

It's a reason I dislike that most recent Telltale King's Quest game as you have three ways of solving puzzles and these affect which ending you get, these are really just cheap ways of extending the playtime. Old games would just be linear and made longer to have more content.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
Another thing that modern games have done is that modern games feel the need to put a lot more text, like they always have to go into detail to describe something.
Yes, modern games seem to take themselves too seriously compared to older games, even when a story is really poorly written it's treated like it's extremely important so I just get irritated with it. Not all games need a serious story or complex plot to drive the gameplay. It's the same with modern movies and anime too, I'd often just prefer a simple story like 80's action and fantasy movies had so I can just be entertained without needing to spend effort deciphering the plot. If I need to read a wiki page to figure out what's happening in an action movie then the plot is probably too complex.

Also what I dislike in modern games is Quick Time Events, especially during cut scenes. I'm sure they put a lot of effort animating a cut scene and are including crucial exposition to the plot, but I'm ignoring all of that as I'm just focusing on the button prompts to complete the section so I can get back to the actual game. Cut scenes used to be a reward, now they're just tedious. It's another reason I dislike the Telltale King's Quest game. Copying the gameplay from Dragon's Lair isn't a good thing, we're not dealing with laserdisc limitations so this poor gameplay isn't excusable in modern times.