Thread: What type of enjoyment do you get out of "rare" ga

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What type of enjoyment do you get out of "rare" ga

Honestly, you spend all this money on a rare game, what sort of mental satisfaction do you get?

Happy to finally own the game?

Happy to tell other that you have the game?

Happy about its cash value?

Say these forums didn't exist, and you had nobody but yourself to talk gaming with... would you still have that extensive collection?

Do you buy to impress others as well as yourself?

Are these the games you love?

I'd like to hear some of your opinions...

For the record, the "rarest" games I own are the GBA Castlevanias all sealed... because I love them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finding it is what's its all about .. thrill of the hunt .. my fuel to go out every Sat morning
    Must do the route

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly the hunt and waiting for the game to come in the mail are the two funnest / most agonizing parts of hunting rare games for me. Its great when you own them, but its not so much fun as it is a relief that it didn't get lost in the mail.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thrill of the hunt!

Think of it this way... My mother collects coins. She does it because her father, a banker, collected coins, and she has fond memories of che childhood when the two of them would sort through all the coins from the bank deposits looking for rare ones. Now when you clooect anything other then games, there isn't even the option of doing anything with them. You wouldn't go out and spend a rare silver quarter, nor could you go and do anything with a rare baseball card. At least with old games and electronics you have the ability to play something. Even if you just let it sit there on a shelf, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

All of the above. When it comes to rare and/or valuable games, the greatest thing about them, besides hopefully enjoying them, is the idea that you can relax and not worry about having to find the game anymore, consider the idea that your investment could possibly grow in value, and maybe impress yourself and others with it.

Even though my mom knows squat about video games, she's a bit impressed everytime I tell her about a good deal I've gotten. Like last summer she was worried that I was spending too much money when I forked over $70 for Rondo of Blood, but when I told her that I could sell it on eBay for twice that much, she didn't worry anymore. Nevermind the fact that I have no intention to sell, hehe. :P

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only seek rare games when there's something I really want to play that happens to be rare.

i.e. Earthbound or something.

I *do* seek out crappy rare games, but really only for resale purposes. If I see something that's rare, but sucks, I'll buy it cheap to ebay it (like a Psychic Detective or something along those lines).

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a collection, getting closer and closer to that final goal of owning all US release of a certain system is what does it. Mostly personal goals, but bragging rights never hurts
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Re: What type of enjoyment do you get out of "rare"

Quote Originally Posted by TonK
    Honestly, you spend all this money on a rare game, what sort of mental satisfaction do you get?
    You only spend "all this money" if you're buying off ebay, of course sometimes you have to, but for the most part the majority of us here don't buy from ebay unless it's last last resort. My mental satisfaction comes from being closer to a complete collection.

Better be if I just paid hard earned money for it.

Of course, I love to tell people that I got a rare game. Is that the only reason I bought it? Not in the slightest.

Anyone that says they don't care about cash value at all is a liar.

Say these forums didn't exist, and you had nobody but yourself to talk gaming with... would you still have that extensive collection?
    I collected before I knew about these forums, I'll collect if the forums went away. Having people to talk about and brag too do not justify my hobbies.

I don't spend my money to impress others, I have never had anyone over my house to see my games, nor do I ever plan to. My games are solely for my own personal enjoyment, but I do post pictures online, it makes me feel good about the thousands upon thousands I've spent on my hobby.

I love games? I don't know what you mean here, yes, I do love my games I guess. I'd probably fuck a Mario cartridge if it had a vagina.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    I'd probably fuck a Mario cartridge if it had a vagina.
    3 letters dude. T M I.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    I'd probably fuck a Mario cartridge if it had a vagina.
    Must... suppress... mental... image

Too late. Where's the mop?

And I buy "rare" games because they look pretty on my shelves!
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You only spend "all this money" if you're buying off ebay
    Not necessarily. I found Ogre Battle PSX over the weekend, cost me $36.99 from EB.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by link1110
    You only spend "all this money" if you're buying off ebay
    Not necessarily. I found Ogre Battle PSX over the weekend, cost me $36.99 from EB.
    I'm sorry, I mean't eBay or overpriced video game stores that know the going rate of games.

I bought Ogre Battle PSX a month or two ago for 2.50 at the Pawn Shop.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i had a kick ass collection before i knew of Dp. i was actually looking for game lists to try to complete collections which brought me here.

i have this stuff cuz i like to have it. i actually feel wierd when people are in my game room. like theyre going to break soemthing. thus,, i am a selfish bastard who has this stuff for me. like its a large accomplishment to have this much stuff...i dont know.

Rarities? a jedi fears not these things... i buy them because i know i have them and you dont. not because i say 'i have them and you dont', even though i can sometimes(case in point). but i dont spend a lot on em. the fun for me is finding a copy of nba basketball 2k3 for $5. my focus is on good or rare games cheap, not dropping $400 on a sealed zelda that they made 4,000,000 of. some people liek that cup of tea, just not myself....

though i dont think id have sex with a mario cart if it had a vagina.

ahhh...who am i kidding? if it has a vagina, its fair game.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd like my ga "medium rare," please.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bragging rights is only part of the reward when it comes to owning a rarity. I take a great deal of pride and comfort knowing that some of my games are worth some hard cash although I have no intentions of selling any of them at this time. Some day If I ever have any kids I'll most likely hand my collection down to them (when there old enough to know not to use the manuals as toilet paper).

Future aside, not only do I love to show off my collection to my non game collecting friends, but I also give them the opportunity to experience them. If I can make there faces light up with joy and delight then my job is done.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's usually the biggest thrill - completing a particular collection, or playing a game I've read about and heard about for a long time - in some cases, for 20 years or more. I just like to play 'em.

Kinda, but not really in a bragging way. For example: I take a bunch of O2 rarities and imports every year to OKGE/OVGE in Tulsa and make them available so everyone can play them. That's part of the thrill for me - finally getting to play something for yourself, not on an emulator, not seeing screenshots or video, but getting to pick up the original controller, on the original system, and play the real thing. I like to share that experience with others. I don't waste anyone's time with "Hey! I'm showing off this game that I paid $X for!" because only other collectors will be impressed by that. To casual gamers, or collectors who could care less about a particular system, they may not know or care if it's rare. But they can finally say they've played it, at least.

Often, once I've put my money on the table and watched the other guy take off with it while I have my game, I don't think about that any more. I don't buy stuff to resell it.

Yep.

No - the reason I buy any game, rare or common, is so I can play it. And hopefully be entertained.

They all are. Rare or not. I don't spend my money on games I have absolutely no interest in - you won't see me hoarding any SNES or SMS rares, for example, because I wouldn't have a way to play them. What's the point?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To me, the hunt is half the fun. And if its Ebay, the thrill of the snipe.

And after that, playing the game, knowing I own the game, and smiling at it as it sits at its rightful place within my collection. Sometimes the game is great fun and I'm surprised (i.e. Blast Wind for Sega Saturn), other times, I have to try really hard to convince myself the game is decent (Crows: The Battle Action for Sega Saturn).