Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rare value in DP guides

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok I got the answer,

We need to break into peoples homes, raid their attics, because there may be many games lying there waiting to be discovered..

That game, you think is rare, bub, it may just be an R2 instead of an R9

Joe Bloggs may have 200 copies sitting in his attic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

papa stu and hydr0x

I understood that a lot of the work in creating the guide is exactly as you described - I did find that in my searches.
    I was just wondering if there was any contact with the industry that goes along with what you described.

as far as scientific formula - I hope you didn’t think I was looking for a mathematical equation - I just meant - a process that is followed throughout every section of the guide(s) making them all somewhat equalized and relative to the process. Not just totally based on individuals but, rather individuals adhering to a mechanical scheme.

Something that proved there was something like that. Which I didn’t find in my seaches.

Like something you described, plus some market and manufacturing data. Something as simple as that – nothing hugely complicated like: we take this and that, put it into excel and generate a value - I understood it greatly relied on ones opinion I was just wondering all the factors that go into forming it.

Would I think differently if there wasn’t anything like I described? Of course, but at least I would know. Would it stop me from using it? no, but, as you said, I would think of it less as a bible but rather more as a guide

I am very happy a group like this has come together and put forth such a professional effort in creating a guide and a community based around it – I am appreciative of it and greatly surprised it is mostly offered up for free. I really wasn’t trying to step on anyone’s toes. I am just trying to validate my ehem cough cough… love for this place and the guide. Just want to clear up any misgivings I have that have come from unanswered questions. That’s in my personality – I worry too much – that’s why I usually am so thorough in things that I do. – I really didn’t want that to come out as gay sounding as that did but instead of rewriting it I put this in.

So I thank the efforts put into it – I just had a question about the process

Oh and joe bloggs may have 200 copies of everything in his attic – that’s where the manufacturing data comes in handy.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1
    papastu and hydr0x

I understood that a lot of the work in creating the guide is exactly as you described - I did find that in my searches.
    I was just wondering if there was any contact with the industry that goes along with what you described.
    Not to my real knowledge. Remember that this started as a rarity guide for classic games and systems. Most of that info isnt known (like release counts and such) except in some cases where specific developers and small publishers have come forth and said something (and that isnt common). If that kind of info was known we'd have a lot more complete information for every system and wouldnt still find even current gen stuff that we never knew about. That isnt to say that I've not met some high ups from Sony and found out about some cool things, but by no means has what ive learned from them decided the rarity stuffs.

as far as scientific formula - I hope you didn’t think I was looking for a mathematical equation - I just meant - a process that is followed throughout every section of the guide(s) making them all somewhat equalized and relative to the process. Not just totally based on individuals but, rather individuals adhering to a mechanical scheme.
    We all adhere to a similar set of rules. Each system bears its own weight based on popularity and commonality (so there can be a good level of deviation between systems and how there are determined rares for each system.) To a degree the raritys are all on par with each other across systems as well as a per system basis. I'll get back to this in a minute.

Like something you described, plus some market and manufacturing data. Something as simple as that – nothing hugely complicated like: we take this and that, put it into excel and generate a value - I understood it greatly relied on ones opinion I was just wondering all the factors that go into forming it.
    No market and manufacturing data is regularly available for the general public. Most companies and places hold onto game sales figures and we really only get to guess (at best) about figures and sometimes numbers leak out (like the 10k produced DragonBallGT Final Bout and Panzer Dragoon Saga numbers) but even then we really dont know, because we dont work for the companies. Well I cant speak for others but I know that theres nothing I plug into excel but my knowledge and observations seen in the many marketplaces that we need to look at to help determine prices.

Would I think differently if there wasn’t anything like I described? Of course, but at least I would know. Would it stop me from using it? no, but, as you said, I would think of it less as a bible but rather more as a guide
    Like what? You assume/d that we just make this shit up? DP wouldnt still be around if it was that full of BS. Good products stay, bad ones dont.

I am very happy a group like this has come together and put forth such a professional effort in creating a guide and a community based around it – I am appreciative of it and greatly surprised it is mostly offered up for free. I really wasn’t trying to step on anyone’s toes. I am just trying to validate my ehem cough cough… love for this place and the guide. Just want to clear up any misgivings I have that have come from unanswered questions. That’s in my personality – I worry too much – that’s why I usually am so thorough in things that I do. – I really didn’t want that to come out as gay sounding as that did but instead of rewriting it I put this in.
    W/o the community most of this would never be either A. Discovered B. Understood or C. Even talked about

So I thank the efforts put into it – I just had a question about the process
    No Prob....

Oh and joe bloggs may have 200 copies of everything in his attic – that’s where the manufacturing data comes in handy.
    Thats nice, but then again its almost always impossible to know, and when people hold that many of one game, unless they release them VERY slowly, they will flood the market and kill the demand and its value (which has happened numerous times).

As seen in the front of the Rarity Guides is a list that describes the R's that the guide uses to tag rarity. Here's what DP has to say about all this

Quote Originally Posted by DP Guide
    There is a scarcity value that commonly appears next to the dollar value, and it represents a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the most common and 10 being the most rare.

R0: titles listed with a rarity of zero are simply games that were never released or require more research on our side. All rumor mill titles and current gen systems sport zeros.

R1:These are items you can find or buy anywhere. When you find a bunch of games, these will be in the pile.

R2: You can find these titles just about anywhere, too, they are just slightly less common, perhaps in certain areas.

R3: You'll find these items throughout the proper channels (other collectors!), not as common "on the street", but fairly common on the internet.

R4: Things get a little harder here, as a title rated as such could have a lower production run, or other factors that pull it out of the common bin, but nowhere near rare. You can start calling titles here on out as Uncommon.

R5: The hunt begins. Five are the kinds of items you have to look for, but definately always in reach.

R6: If you see a six or greater, atleast one of us had a problem finding this title. You can call this VERY UNCOMMON and if you so desire BORDERLINE RARE.

R7: RARE. A true collectable! Sevens up represent the hardest 25% of games listed in this guide.

R8: We consider these items you'll never find by chance (except in those legendary lucky finds). There are a few eights that we havn't gotten our grubby little hands on... yet.

R9: The centerpieces of a collection make up the nines. If you even hope to buy one of these, prepare to write out a BIG check.

R10: Not only is this a centerpiece of a collection, but tens mean that you could be holding a one of a kind (certainly just one of a handfull). Kind of like holding a 1953 Mickey Mantle or an Action Comics #1.

Note that a 2 for the Atari 2600 should be just as easy or hard to find as a 2 on the NeoGeo AES. It's all relative across systems, not within them.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A small but important distinction to make is that the DP Guide is not based on an empirical 'Rarity' value, which would be determined solely based on number of copies made minus number of copies lost/destroyed since then.
    Instead, it is a 'Scarcity' rating which basically evaluates how hard it is for Joe Collector to find a copy of a particular game. There's a lot of other factors involved than sales figures since, for example, some games may have sold relatively well but are rarely offered for sale because people hang on to them. Conversely, there are games that will have sold much less yet are much easier to find because they have little play value today.

It's this reasoning that also makes it irrelevant whether or not there are huge stashes of games awaiting discovery in attics or warehouses - sure, there may be a warehouse full of cases of DarXide somewhere, but that wouldn't make it any easier to find one unless someone uncovers them. And if something like that did happen (like with Mega Man: The Wily Wars recently), then we would take it into account and make any appropriate adjustments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well now I finally know – thank you all for your insight
    I was curious if there was a system used for finding market information. Considering the operations of company I work for – they employ people to find out specifics ( like that ones I mentioned) to determine the market value for something and for the potential dollars left to obtain. I know this is not the same scenario – I was just wondering. – well actualy I was hoping there was but there isn’t – and that’s ok -

what I think is bad about the current system is that if it is as described, it leaves a lot of work to be done in maintenance. I can see someone slaving to keep up with changes trying to monitor what’s currently going on with certain titles and making changes accordingly. – not that fun If it was partly based on some facts like time and number produced then that would be much easier to maintain.

Well I hope others will find this post easily when looking for the same info so that the questions can somewhat stop – I wish I could change the title to make it pop up under more specific searches.