Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The best game you have ever played?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's still Chrono Trigger, beyond a shadow of a doubt. I really don't think I'll ever play another game that will have the same impact on me that CT did. Earthbound is an extremely close second, however.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Oopsie .... !

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    ... ["The Empire Strikes Back: Arcade"]is an awesome game too!
    True that the first SW game is the best, but Empire is right up there with it.
    Probe Droids and Walkers?
    Awesome.
    Indeed!

Later!
    CLICK > "paisleyATOM" -- Your Source For 68000 Apple Computer Entertainment

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mega Man X4 for the Saturn. I got that game for Christmas I think in 98, beat it and and have beaten it countless times and insanely obsess about it still to this day. I have the PS version, and the JP Sat version, and only the JP Sat version has gone unbeaten.

I remember when I was in college I made a friend of mine quite mad. He had gotten it for the PS and couldn't even get past the intro stage. He swore it was a mistake for me to choose Zero. In about an hour I got to the final battle w/Sigma and I would have won if he hadn't been sitting there screaming "DIE FUCKER!" to me at the top of his lungs. I may not have beaten it in front of him, but the satisfaction of making him look like a novice was priceless.
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    @ CaryMG: Your enthusiasm is wonderful, but it would be nice if you could go a little bit easier on all the screenshots. Lots of folks here are still on dial-up, and when you add a million huge screenshots to a post like this, it also wreaks havoc with the layout.

If you could shrink 'em down a hair or in this case leave out a bunch of them since 1 per game that you've listed is plenty, that would be most welcomed. Thanks.
    I disagree, this is a technical website and CaryMG taking the time to display obscure screenshots of games that even 95% of us have never seen before should not be shunned but rewarded.
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Popping in to mention a couple I haven't seen in thread yet:

Alundra (PSX) - Terrific storyline that tied my emotions in a knot even when I was old enough to know better. I have never wanted to kill an endgame boss the way I wanted to kill Melzas, and unironically yelling heartfelt, cheesy hero-dialogue at the TV right before the fight started is one of my most cherished gaming memories. (Yeah, I was living alone at the time. Obviously.) Also notable as the game that made me realize how badly translated most other Japanese games are by comparison.

Devil Dice (PSX) - How this puzzler was not a huge hit I'll never understand. My favorite puzzle game to this day.

Ancient Domains of Mystery (PC) - Rogue-likes aren't everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine. I will probably catch some flak for listing a rogue-like game in the "best games ever" thread when there are so many terrific games with graphics out there. I'm okay with that. In terms of gameplay, this one is deeper than most of them. I've been playing this since 1999, and I'm still discovering new things in it. At the same time, it's not like NetHack, which requires a master's degree in NetHackOlogy to play past the first half-dozen levels. (Those who understand, will understand.) My profile on this board is based on a prominent NPC from ADOM.

I'll also second Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX) for being entertaining for all the wrong reasons--and a couple of the right ones too. Ridiculously convoluted plot + English translation handled by an infinite number of monkeys banging away at keyboards = high comedy. I should stress, however, that getting all the classes, items and abilities is so much fun that you won't care that you don't know what's going on. Good stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Half-Life (PC)

The game is a remarkable experience. Even today it stands tall as one of the best FPS games ever made. Incredible immersion and gameplay. The game delivers in every aspect. The game looked and sounded great and with the High Definition upgrade or Half-Life Source the game looks good even by today's standards. Yet what really sticks out is the incredible gameplay. You had to think. You really needed to plan out what you were going to do before you did it. The puzzles could be annoying but were no real problem. The game truly is the thinking man's first person shooter. It has possibly the largest mod community ever and gave us Half-Life 2 also one of the best games in history. This game gave us Counter Strike, What more could you want?

Also you guys may want to look out for the full Half-Life game done over in source. Not the HL Source that came with the collectors edition but a FULL conversion of the classic game. I saw a article about it in a PC Gamer I will look for a link later

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PSX) i think i put about 2k hours into that game.

Perfect Dark (N64) is a close second contrary to popular belief this game is actually the better game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by almostgotthemall
    Outcast - 1999 PC
    dear god yes, one of my all-time favourites too, what a fantastic game, and the graphics
    -Jan