Insert Coin (Level 0) Genjackson's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    guyonthedock_js

Default Trying to identify old Civil War game

I played a civil war game in the 4th grade that I am wanting to relive. It was a strategy game. You picked which you wanted to be. You had to move your armies from historic location to historic location. The armies were represented by blue and grey dots(maybe it was blue and red). Every time you would move to a spot occupied by the other army there were pictures from battles with generic battle noises. That's about all I remember. I have a feeling that it probably sucked pretty bad and I only liked it because I was the only person in the class that could beat it. It might fit into the educational genre. Any ideas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    guyonthedock_js

nope, it was newer than that. It would have been mid to early 90's. Thanks anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Edward Grabowski's The Blue & The Gray?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm... it's probably wrong, but could it possibly be Entrex Software's Civil War game? I didn't have that one, but did have their American Revolution and Hannibal's Heroes games back in the mid '90s; I remembering both being awful. And yeah, I got a second one anyway. Wish I'd found a better historical-themed game instead.

Most of the Entrex games seem to be really hard to find any information about on the internet -- Civil War, American Revolution, and Hannibal's Heroes all aren't in either GameFAQs or Mobygames, for example -- but they do exist... I found a site with shareware or demo versions of them too: http://www.freeinfosociety.com/media.php?id=5407 (according to the page it's a demo. Haven't tried it.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    guyonthedock_js

Quote Originally Posted by Sysop View Post
    Edward Grabowski's The Blue & The Gray?
    Newer than that one. Maybe an updated version though.

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Hmm... it's probably wrong, but could it possibly be Entrex Software's Civil War game? I didn't have that one, but did have their American Revolution and Hannibal's Heroes games back in the mid '90s; I remembering both being awful. And yeah, I got a second one anyway. Wish I'd found a better historical-themed game instead.

Most of the Entrex games seem to be really hard to find any information about on the internet -- Civil War, American Revolution, and Hannibal's Heroes all aren't in either GameFAQs or Mobygames, for example -- but they do exist... I found a site with shareware or demo versions of them too: http://www.freeinfosociety.com/media.php?id=5407 (according to the page it's a demo. Haven't tried it.)
    Newer than these also. One thing I remembered after seeing the Blue & the Gray was that the board that you played on was the eastern half of America only. It was in full color. Also it was new enough to where everything didn't really look pixelated. We're getting closer.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It sounds like you're talking about The Civil War published by Empire circa 1995. They also published a slightly improved version a year or so later known as the Master Players Edition, which may be a bit harder to find.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It definitely sounds like the Entrex game. I have the mac disks for it, but no manual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Genjackson View Post
    I played a civil war game in the 4th grade that I am wanting to relive. It was a strategy game.
    What year were you in 4th grade? That would certainly help narrow down the options.

Based on your description, I seriously doubt this is what you played, but was it Sid Meier's Gettysburg or Sid Meier's Antietam? They were released in 1997 and 1999 respectively.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-16-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    guyonthedock_js

Quote Originally Posted by TascoDLX View Post
    It sounds like you're talking about The Civil War published by Empire circa 1995. They also published a slightly improved version a year or so later known as the Master Players Edition, which may be a bit harder to find.
    That's about the right year, but it's not the right game

Quote Originally Posted by fsu View Post
    It definitely sounds like the Entrex game. I have the mac disks for it, but no manual.
    It's definitely not the Entrex one.

"If I cannot swear in heaven, I won't go there." Mark Twain