Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Recent NES black box sales

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sure you can. Look at all the people scooping up collector's editions and "limited editions" and even just plain old current generation games and keeping them sealed or even having them graded. I was collecting comics for most of the 80s and that's exactly the same thing other collectors were doing with the exception of the grading back then. People were literally walking into the comic store on new release day and buying up multiple copies of every new release and every "limited edition" cover or variant and immediately sealing them up and boxing them and then waiting for the next price guide update so they could cash in. Yes, the cost of a video game is higher, but I knew plenty of people spending $50 or more a week on new comics in the 80s which is the same as $100 a week in 2012 dollars or about two new games. I'm not seeing much difference. It also seems like many more people have access to credit cards nowadays and certainly aren't afraid to rack up massive debts in support of their collecting.

You're right, there probably aren't thousands of copies of most of the early NES titles out there. Of course, there also aren't thousands of collectors looking for them. Most collectors here and elsewhere are perfectly happy with a loose copy or a complete copy or even a minty boxed complete copy. While it only takes two people to run a price up, you can never depend on those two people showing up at any given moment.

Your scenario about these alleged comic collectors looking to spend millions on games is cute, but it's not based in reality. For a totally disinterested collector to walk in and buy games as a pure speculator is far too risky. After all, if what you're claiming is accurate, what would be the potential financial benefit of scooping up what amounts to a tiny handful of games and trying to sell them for premium prices? You can't make millions off just five copies of something regardless of how rare it might be in sealed condition if it's a mass produced item that is available in substantially similar condition (i.e. mint, complete, boxed, etc...) for next to nothing.

You also have the added problem that a lot of collectors collect games because they can play them. It's not like a baseball card or coin where you can see everything the item has to offer even in a sealed case. Batteries can leak, metal can corrode, boxes can get moldy or brown, plastic shrinks and gets brittle and as I noted earlier, video games of the cartridge variety are a really volatile mix of all sorts of reactive materials that can't possibly remain stable over time. Is anyone really going to pay millions for something that won't be around in 75-100 years?

Continuing on your point, what guarantee would these alleged buyers have that another equally wealthy buyer would not only pay more than what they paid for something, but would do so right at the time they are looking to sell? You certainly aren't going to find enough buyers in the current crop of collectors who will spend tens of thousands of dollars on a single game, especially if there is no guarantee they can sell it for more when they move on. While the prices are interesting and generate discussion, they aren't really a reflection of the actual value these games will have over time. The only way to predict that future is to wait it out and see what happens when the NES generation ages just like the 2600 generation did. I'm certainly curious to see how the next few years play out and it seems like the wise path would be to wait and see rather than joining the speculation and risking huge financial losses.

Frankly, this really isn't that personal for me. If anything, I have a huge potential financial upside if your predictions are correct. I have hundreds of mint sealed NES games including a number of black box titles. I also have a lot of disposable income. It doesn't change the fact that I come to collecting with experience, wisdom and common sense. A sealed NES game is not worth tens of thousands of dollars as long as there are readily available copies of the same game simply missing a piece of shrinkwrap that can't be maintained in pristine condition no matter how hard you try 20 years from now (i.e. 50 years after these games were packaged). Comic books and other paper collectibles can be preserved for potentially hundreds of years given proper archival practices, there is no such means of doing so for video games, especially if you're keeping them in a regular suburban home or storage unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    You can't compare 1980's videogames to 1980's comic books or baseball cards. In 1985 how long had videogames been around compared to how long comics had been around at that point?

You are comparing comic books which sold for $1.00 brand new by the tens and hundreds of thousands to collectors who instantly placed them in protective sleeves to videogames that sold for $40 or $50 to people who planned to throw away the boxes and play the games. No one bought Donkey Kong Junior Math and stored it away new as an investment. The ones that did survive new and sealed (we are talking about less than 5 known Dk Jr math sealed copies) did so only on accident. Will more turn up? Sure over time more will turn up. Thousands? tens of thousands? hundreds of thousands? umm no. The demand for this title will eat up any supply that is found. You won't find thousands of copies of this title new and sealed, ever.

You are trying to personalize this. You don't have the mindset or even know any of the people who have spent 5k or 10k for a single sealed Nintendo game. Not knowing them or not understanding them doesn't mean someone else won't pay those prices because you don't think it is sane. It doesn't work that way. I'm telling you it is my opinion that not only is not going to go away but that it will get worse because we are starting to see people like ex-comic collectors jump into this game now as well. They love the grading system and they are attracted to the big dollar signs and huge increases. To them and yes I have heard them say this, they are getting on at the ground floor and they have tons of cash to dump into this. They are used to comic book prices afterall where the holy grail of the hobby isn't 20-30k but a million plus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Sure you can. Look at all the people scooping up collector's editions and "limited editions" and even just plain old current generation games and keeping them sealed or even having them graded. I was collecting comics for most of the 80s and that's exactly the same thing other collectors were doing with the exception of the grading back then. People were literally walking into the comic store on new release day and buying up multiple copies of every new release and every "limited edition" cover or variant and immediately sealing them up and boxing them and then waiting for the next price guide update so they could cash in. Yes, the cost of a video game is higher, but I knew plenty of people spending $50 or more a week on new comics in the 80s which is the same as $100 a week in 2012 dollars or about two new games. I'm not seeing much difference. It also seems like many more people have access to credit cards nowadays and certainly aren't afraid to rack up massive debts in support of their collecting.

You're right, there probably aren't thousands of copies of most of the early NES titles out there. Of course, there also aren't thousands of collectors looking for them. Most collectors here and elsewhere are perfectly happy with a loose copy or a complete copy or even a minty boxed complete copy. While it only takes two people to run a price up, you can never depend on those two people showing up at any given moment.

Your scenario about these alleged comic collectors looking to spend millions on games is cute, but it's not based in reality. For a totally disinterested collector to walk in and buy games as a pure speculator is far too risky. After all, if what you're claiming is accurate, what would be the potential financial benefit of scooping up what amounts to a tiny handful of games and trying to sell them for premium prices? You can't make millions off just five copies of something regardless of how rare it might be in sealed condition if it's a mass produced item that is available in substantially similar condition (i.e. mint, complete, boxed, etc...) for next to nothing.

You also have the added problem that a lot of collectors collect games because they can play them. It's not like a baseball card or coin where you can see everything the item has to offer even in a sealed case. Batteries can leak, metal can corrode, boxes can get moldy or brown, plastic shrinks and gets brittle and as I noted earlier, video games of the cartridge variety are a really volatile mix of all sorts of reactive materials that can't possibly remain stable over time. Is anyone really going to pay millions for something that won't be around in 75-100 years?

Continuing on your point, what guarantee would these alleged buyers have that another equally wealthy buyer would not only pay more than what they paid for something, but would do so right at the time they are looking to sell? You certainly aren't going to find enough buyers in the current crop of collectors who will spend tens of thousands of dollars on a single game, especially if there is no guarantee they can sell it for more when they move on. While the prices are interesting and generate discussion, they aren't really a reflection of the actual value these games will have over time. The only way to predict that future is to wait it out and see what happens when the NES generation ages just like the 2600 generation did. I'm certainly curious to see how the next few years play out and it seems like the wise path would be to wait and see rather than joining the speculation and risking huge financial losses.

Frankly, this really isn't that personal for me. If anything, I have a huge potential financial upside if your predictions are correct. I have hundreds of mint sealed NES games including a number of black box titles. I also have a lot of disposable income. It doesn't change the fact that I come to collecting with experience, wisdom and common sense. A sealed NES game is not worth tens of thousands of dollars as long as there are readily available copies of the same game simply missing a piece of shrinkwrap that can't be maintained in pristine condition no matter how hard you try 20 years from now (i.e. 50 years after these games were packaged). Comic books and other paper collectibles can be preserved for potentially hundreds of years given proper archival practices, there is no such means of doing so for video games, especially if you're keeping them in a regular suburban home or storage unit.

You are basing all your arguments on everything making sense to you or on how you think things should be.

I am basing mine on what buyers and sellers of the these games at 5k and 10k are telling me.

If you don't believe it is here to stay and you have sealed blackbox Donkey Kong and Mario titles to sell send me a pm.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    You are basing all your arguments on everything making sense to you or on how you think things should be.

I am basing mine on what buyers and sellers of the these games at 5k and 10k are telling me.

If you don't believe it is here to stay and you have sealed blackbox Donkey Kong and Mario titles to sell send me a pm.
    Of course I am, just like you are arguing from what makes sense to you and how you think things should be. The difference is that you are actively involved in trying to profit from this alleged surge in prices and as far as I can tell, your only motive in posting this is to create some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy so you can make more money. I'm not somebody that resells and certainly the few times I have sold things over the years, it's only been because I had extras of something and even then, it was about clearing space and not because I was looking to cash in. Like most collectors here, I have given away far more than I have ever sold. The thing is, I make a very comfortable living, so I have zero interest in selling my collection regardless of how successful you are in getting people to buy into this surge in value fantasy. Hey, maybe you'll succeed and you can kill game collecting once and for all by making it into some ultra-exclusive club where only the super wealthy can hope to find anything interesting or special. Good luck with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Of course I am, just like you are arguing from what makes sense to you and how you think things should be. The difference is that you are actively involved in trying to profit from this alleged surge in prices and as far as I can tell, your only motive in posting this is to create some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy so you can make more money. I'm not somebody that resells and certainly the few times I have sold things over the years, it's only been because I had extras of something and even then, it was about clearing space and not because I was looking to cash in. Like most collectors here, I have given away far more than I have ever sold. The thing is, I make a very comfortable living, so I have zero interest in selling my collection regardless of how successful you are in getting people to buy into this surge in value fantasy. Hey, maybe you'll succeed and you can kill game collecting once and for all by making it into some ultra-exclusive club where only the super wealthy can hope to find anything interesting or special. Good luck with that.
    I am not arguing how I think they should be but I how I presently see them to be.

Not sure what you mean about the rest. I would have loved to have picked them up and have tried for many years now but they are insanely rare and I got in too late.

I have some black box games but just the common ones really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Possible new record here as it was purchased by the main buyer who has been buying up many of the high dollar black box games

Super Mario Bros. brothers NES Nintendo Brand new VGA 90+ sealed
    Sold For: US $50,000.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230788562126

I wonder how much it actually sold for?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Braveheart69's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What a fun read. Glad to see Port is full of shit as usual and wrong as always. Some things never change.
    I've never cared less what anyone else collects or how or why, to each their own. Flattering that you continue to be so obsessed with me and my wallet Dave.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Mario's Right Nut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll collect as I see fit. You do as you see fit. Just be sure that you keep badmouthing us where we won't see it! That's important.

Stay classy Port! Your envy makes me feel sexy.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I like how it takes a necro-bump from buyatari for these two to respond. Then again, it was a thread of Jonebone and Nolan Twins slapping each other for me to see that this thread actually made some NA stock come out of their comfort zone. It's not top 20 list, but it'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart69 View Post
    What a fun read. Glad to see Port is full of shit as usual and wrong as always. Some things never change.
    I've never cared less what anyone else collects or how or why, to each their own. Flattering that you continue to be so obsessed with me and my wallet Dave.
    Wow, so I post evidence and links of your activity and you respond 'lol, you're wrong', not even acknowledging any evidence presented. Awesome response - both completely devoid of substance and dismissive at the same time. A prominent mod on NA, folks. Quite a paragon of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario's Right Nut View Post
    I'll collect as I see fit. You do as you see fit. Just be sure that you keep badmouthing us where we won't see it! That's important.

Stay classy Port! Your envy makes me feel sexy.
    Sorry, I'm not one of your 'duders' that licks your fire red nuts when you overpay by 500% for something. You may have wanted to look at your buddy's post above, because you just said exactly what he did, which of course, was nothing.

Why did you two even post? Best reasoning is I hit the mark with Braveheart and he felt he had to 'defend' himself, lacking any real defense. No secret that the two moneybags are friendly (the rich tend towards the rich) so out comes the ginger to back up his friend, without backing him up at all.

You sure you two are in the financial sector? The way you guys act, you have trust fund kiddie written all over you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Then again, it was a thread of Jonebone and Nolan Twins slapping each other for me to see that this thread actually made some NA stock come out of their comfort zone.
    We kissed and made up. All is good in NA land.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Psssh... black boxes were so 3 months ago. It's all about prototypes now
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm just happy the McNoMorals have been completely put on front street, up until the Flintstones deal they were still respected. Disliked for there arrogance but still had respect within the community which even before the Flintstones deal most people that had been around them enough knew they were shady but I digress. I'm just happy that people are at least "Aware" now...

http://www.sealedvideogames.net/2012...sed-prototype/

Just glad I was able to add to there legacy...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ha, the only thing funnier than VGA grading a prototype is the profanity ridden outrage that it has created among some collectors. Yeah I'm not a fan of it either, but people do realize that any publicity is better than no publicity, right? By adding all of these links and threads, it's only giving them more page views. Way to show them who's boss!
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfuzion View Post
    I'm just happy the McNoMorals have been completely put on front street, up until the Flintstones deal they were still respected. Disliked for there arrogance but still had respect within the community which even before the Flintstones deal most people that had been around them enough knew they were shady but I digress. I'm just happy that people are at least "Aware" now...

http://www.sealedvideogames.net/2012...sed-prototype/

Just glad I was able to add to there legacy...
    Umm, that's just Dark Sol. Can't say that his feelings about me are new dude. Pretty much anyone who has been banned from NA (Dark Sol, Dutch, etc.) trolls me everywhere they can.

There are plenty who disagree with what we've done that don't carry themselves like idiots (Port, Jone, Ace, a million others), and I can completely understand and respect where they are coming from. Dark Sol was selling women's pants on Ebay that he was fucking modeling in the add, you think I give a shit what that dude writes on his page that no one views? Say what you want about me, you won't catch me wearing and selling women's clothes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrmark0673 View Post
    Dark Sol was selling women's pants on Ebay that he was fucking modeling in the add, you think I give a shit what that dude writes on his page that no one views? .
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BANANA-REPUB...item1e70e3aff1

Still for sale.

Looking good my man!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Umm, that's just Dark Sol. Can't say that his feelings about me are new dude. Pretty much anyone who has been banned from NA (Dark Sol, Dutch, etc.) trolls me everywhere they can.

There are plenty who disagree with what we've done that don't carry themselves like idiots (Port, Jone, Ace, a million others), and I can completely understand and respect where they are coming from. Dark Sol was selling women's pants on Ebay that he was fucking modeling in the add, you think I give a shit what that dude writes on his page that no one views? Say what you want about me, you won't catch me wearing and selling women's clothes.
    I wasn't aware... consequences will never be the same...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BANANA-REPUB...item1e70e3aff1

Still for sale.

Looking good my man!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

There are plenty who disagree with what we've done that don't carry themselves like idiots (Port, Jone, Ace, a million others).
    I have to try harder next time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All this drama lately. I'm still glad I got out of NES collecting when I did.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm an avid nes sealed collector and I don't broadcast much about it. I'm a "behind the scenes" type of person.

My personal collection is very important to me. I saw someone mention "degradation" on cardboard boxes. Is there an article on this anywhere? Any facts behind what is being said? I own a few titles that are over 25 years old and look like they came straight off the factory floor. To me, logically, at this rate of "degradation," it would take 100's of years before its "degraded?" So is this even a valid argument? I heard someone mention something about toys and how they are being "degraded?" Where you refering to the glue that holds the plastic to the cardboard box? Wouldn't that mean the glue is more of the factor and not the actual plastic? It would seem we are comparing apples to oranges since nes sealed games are not sealed in the same manner.

My collecting involves finding a nice example, sending it to VGA for cleaning, having VGA case it in 100% UV archival acrylic, and detailed grading with which I place the papers in UV archival plastic holders. I would think that this type of handling would keep the pieces in top shape for decades?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The problem with your theory is that simply sticking a cardboard box covered in shrinkwrap inside a UV acrylic case does nothing to slow the aging and degradation of the carboard, paper and plastic in the wrap, the box, the manual and the cartridge itself. While light can certainly be damaging, things like heat, humidity, moisture and airborne pollutants are often far more damaging to cardboard and paper products and many games being found decades after release were stored in all sorts of questionable environments. Simply put, NES boxes were not made of acid free archival material. They were designed to get the games to a store shelf and into the hands of a consumer who presumably would throw the box away after opening. Keeping them wrapped in acidic shrinkwrap only accelerates this process.

Is your collection going to disintegrate in a couple of decades? Probably not, but these games are already 20-30+ years old at this point, so in another 20 years they will be pushing 50 and unless you have invested in a climate control storage unit which also contains inert gas to slow the process, your collection is going to start showing signs of wear over time. Frankly, unless you bought the games new in the 80s, you have no idea how they have been stored and I have opened many sealed games over the years that had mold forming inside the boxes from being stored in moist or humid conditions and games that were exposed to such heat that the sticker dried up and was coming off the cartridge. Personally, I have quite a few older sealed games going back to the original Odyssey, but I refuse to pay crazy amounts of money for them because I know that they aren't going to last forever or even many more decades given the fact that I have collected many other paper items over the years including stamps, paper currency, movie posters, books, comics and political memoribilia and without exception, they all degrade over time unless you find a way of permanently separating the acidic components from the components that are susceptible to damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost271 View Post
    I'm an avid nes sealed collector and I don't broadcast much about it. I'm a "behind the scenes" type of person.

My personal collection is very important to me. I saw someone mention "degradation" on cardboard boxes. Is there an article on this anywhere? Any facts behind what is being said? I own a few titles that are over 25 years old and look like they came straight off the factory floor. To me, logically, at this rate of "degradation," it would take 100's of years before its "degraded?" So is this even a valid argument? I heard someone mention something about toys and how they are being "degraded?" Where you refering to the glue that holds the plastic to the cardboard box? Wouldn't that mean the glue is more of the factor and not the actual plastic? It would seem we are comparing apples to oranges since nes sealed games are not sealed in the same manner.

My collecting involves finding a nice example, sending it to VGA for cleaning, having VGA case it in 100% UV archival acrylic, and detailed grading with which I place the papers in UV archival plastic holders. I would think that this type of handling would keep the pieces in top shape for decades?