Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Supaboy - New SNES handheld from Hyperkin

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tested Donkey Kong Country 2 and I get the piracy protection screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

hm. I would recommend trying it again. The DKC trilogy does have anti piracy bootscreen if it detects latency with the pin connector, but that shouldn't happen when you plug it directly into the Supaboy without the use of any other adapter. My copy of all three games works fine with the Supaboy. it's possible you have a later revision, but I still haven't heard of any such issues. Do you own any other Super Famiclones? If your copy of DKC2 doesn't work on your Supaboy it shouldn't work on any other clones either.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default also not true

Quote Originally Posted by Coreykun667 View Post
    Someone told me that if there's just a 2 digit number, then it's a first rev. and the later ones had an "A" stamped too. Guess I'm wrong then. I just found out that the ones that say "Made in Mexico" work? Figures with my luck...
    Did you see that on that YouTube video? If so, you'll notice my comment telling the guy "thanks for trying, but that's not correct."

I have two copies of Super Mario RPG - los dos hecho en Mexico - one works on the Supaboy, the other doesn't.

Also, I haven't heard back from Hyperkin in several days re: the status of my Supaboy. I'm not worried, just annoyed that their customer service doesn't respond to my emails. I mean, I'm always incredibly polite...should I start being a dick?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Whether the game was made in Mexico or Japan has little to do with SA-1 games running on clones. All revisions of the game were made in both countries. The determining factor is the board revision, which you can't tell apart aside from directly looking at it. There is no external way to tell the revision.

As for your problems contacting Hyperkin, try to be patient. I can't imagine Hyperkin is a very large company. They probably have twenty employees, tops. There's probably only a single person to address all custom relations. I'm not defending Hyperkin, but you should try to appreciate their situation.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Whether the game was made in Mexico or Japan has little to do with SA-1 games running on clones. All revisions of the game were made in both countries. The determining factor is the board revision, which you can't tell apart aside from directly looking at it. There is no external way to tell the revision.

As for your problems contacting Hyperkin, try to be patient. I can't imagine Hyperkin is a very large company. They probably have twenty employees, tops. There's probably only a single person to address all custom relations. I'm not defending Hyperkin, but you should try to appreciate their situation.
    I very much do understand and appreciate the situation. Having said that, it's been a week since I first emailed for an update, and regardless of a company's size, it's unacceptable to take someone's money and not acknowledge their communication in a situation like this.

There's a reason there are templates in Outlook.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After trying to take videos and not being able to capture the sound issue properly with my camera I decided to give up and return the item to the seller.

Hyperkin has not been open enough about acknowledging the flaws of this system to the public. We still don't even have clarity regarding what to expect from the final product this long after it's release. This is bad business plain and simple.

The Pokefami DX and the upcoming Retro Duo Portable appear to be much better alternatives.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taiyaki View Post
    After trying to take videos and not being able to capture the sound issue properly with my camera I decided to give up and return the item to the seller.

Hyperkin has not been open enough about acknowledging the flaws of this system to the public. We still don't even have clarity regarding what to expect from the final product this long after it's release. This is bad business plain and simple.

The Pokefami DX and the upcoming Retro Duo Portable appear to be much better alternatives.
    I just received an email from Lawrence. Sounds like they're not actually repairing the device, just replacing it. So I am assuming the one I receive will be exactly the same. :/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    Did you see that on that YouTube video? If so, you'll notice my comment telling the guy "thanks for trying, but that's not correct."

I have two copies of Super Mario RPG - los dos hecho en Mexico - one works on the Supaboy, the other doesn't.

Also, I haven't heard back from Hyperkin in several days re: the status of my Supaboy. I'm not worried, just annoyed that their customer service doesn't respond to my emails. I mean, I'm always incredibly polite...should I start being a dick?
    I see. Yeah, it was that Youtube video.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    hm. I would recommend trying it again. The DKC trilogy does have anti piracy bootscreen if it detects latency with the pin connector, but that shouldn't happen when you plug it directly into the Supaboy without the use of any other adapter. My copy of all three games works fine with the Supaboy. it's possible you have a later revision, but I still haven't heard of any such issues. Do you own any other Super Famiclones? If your copy of DKC2 doesn't work on your Supaboy it shouldn't work on any other clones either.
    I don't have a Snes clone other than the Supaboy. My DKC2 cart does have a bit of difficulty even playing on my Mini Snes sometimes. I bought my DKC2 off of some guy on Amazon. The cart was cleaned by them. I have to get it in that sweet spot for the pins I guess?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally got around to trying it again and DKC2 works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

glad to hear it. DKC2 should work as long as its clean. The only games that will refuse to boot are 1.1+ revisions of SA-1 games like Super Mario RPG and Kirby Super Star.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

change 8 pin sound amplifier TDA2822M by Njm2073d

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by horn View Post
    ???

Tell us more....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default he's suggesting

Quote Originally Posted by horn View Post
    he's suggesting one of us take it upon ourselves to find a suitable replacement for the TDA2822M that Hyperkin uses to pump out the audio in the Supaboy. Any takers?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    he's suggesting one of us take it upon ourselves to find a suitable replacement for the TDA2822M that Hyperkin uses to pump out the audio in the Supaboy. Any takers?
    I *could* try that - I just don't have the part. I wonder if he's done it himself. I'm also waiting for a reply from Hyperkin before I do anything to my unit, but they're taking their time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just last week received my Supaboy! Ordered from a seller on Amazon.

Happy with:
    + + + Yay.. Portable SNES! Very rad that companies are doing this.
    + Looks like a large SNES controller! Cool.
    +Seems to work when plugged into an external TV and used with original SNES controllers, cool!
    +Not very heavy at all

Neutral:
    =Fairly tight cartridge slot can be scary to push a cart into because of how tight it is. I guess it's better than a loose one, but I fear for my cart's life some times.
    =The LCD screen acceptable. Decent color, brightness, about as nice as an early DS screen. Still has blur and some motion issues, but not as bad as I was expecting.
    = I've heard complaints about the position of Start/Select, and I'm fine with it. Quickly adapted.

Disappointed with:
    - - - - Many of my games will randomly freeze and then loose their saves. Yoshi Island, Zelda LTTP, Super Metroid, and a few others do it often. Even Super Mario All Stars + World froze randomly and lost my saves! These games work fine on my SNES, are super clean, and don't have battery issues.
    - Tried to be sure I wasn't bumping the system or anything by playing through a TV with the supaboy on a table, and yoshi would still randomly crash and loose saves. In he last 2 days, went through most of the game twice on my SNES just to test the cart, and it's fine.

- - Straight out of the box the screen had many fine scratches on the top of the screen, and a few stains on the underside of the screen. While these are generally unnoticeable while playing, it's still not indicative of a quality product when you open a box to find that.

- - The sound really is pretty bad. Quiet volume would be fine if they couldn't fit larger speakers into the system, but there is a distracting buzzing that worsens already poor sound. It goes away if you plug it into the tv, but I want to use my portable system AS a portable.

- - As the battery runs down from fullly charged, more and more problems occur. More screen flicker, more freezing, etc. And this starts after only 30 min or so, and the quality degrades as battery level approaches zero. Of which there is no indicator (even though there is an LED on the front of the system), so the system just glitches and turns off when it runs out.

- - I'm not really going to discuss the average-poor quality of materials, buttons, dpad, etc. Those don't seem to matter if I can't really play games properly on the thing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It sucks to say the Super Mario RPG barely works with my supaboy. It started up the first time I put it in, but froze shortly after. And now it starts about 1/20 times, but not without erasing all my saves.... again. *Sigh* Maybe a Japanese copy will work better?

Does anybody know of any issues with Earthbound? I don't want to pay the $100-150 unless it works like a game should.
    Last edited by ShakeyOwnz; 01-14-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyOwnz View Post
    It sucks to say the Super Mario RPG barely works with my supaboy. It started up the first time I put it in, but froze shortly after. And now it starts about 1/20 times, but not without erasing all my saves.... again. *Sigh* Maybe a Japanese copy will work better?

Does anybody know of any issues with Earthbound? I don't want to pay the $100-150 unless it works like a game should.
    EarthBound works perfectly fine in my experience. No increased enemies or anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyOwnz View Post
    I don't want to say JSnake is lying, but he's definitely not correct in saying that EarthBound plays fine on the Supaboy. EarthBound employs all of its anti-piracy measures when played on a Supaboy. Expect enemy encounters to be increased by a factor of four, making the entire game an absolute grind. Just go to the part in the beginning of the game with the town gang thugs. There will be so many of them onscreen it will cause slowdown! And of course, the horrible delete your SRAM final boss.

If you want to play EarthBound, the only system that's suited for it is a real SNES or Super Famicom.

For more on the Supaboy, check out my video review. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAxAu6kx7Zg

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe he plat EB on Flashcart? There's a rom that has disabled anti-piratcy measures.