Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightmare On Elm Street NES "original" version???

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Nightmare On Elm Street NES "original" version???

Saw an apparently very early promo poster for the NOES game for the NES. It was actually from a horror movie collectors database and not a video game related one. Anyways, the description of the game was WAY different than the production model. In this version, you were Freddy trying to prevent the children from getting your bones.

So.... anyone ever seen anything on this before? Maybe a nudge into finding more info?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by camarotuner View Post
    Anyways, the description of the game was WAY different than the production model. In this version, you were Freddy trying to prevent the children from getting your bones.
    In the version of NOES that was released, Freddy is trying to stop you (the children) from collecting his bones...I think you may have just misread/misunderstood the ad you saw. Where did you see this?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

I remember reading a magazine a long time ago, and they had an ad for like a funco type store, and they had a nes checklist... and one of the games that was coming out soon was Hellraiser. Never came out.
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Camarotuner,

Very interesting post, thanks. As Gallery Curator of the Video Game Ads section on this website, I was wondering if your movie collector friend would let you take a picture of that NOES poster so I can add it to the Video Game Ads section? It would be greatly appreciated and an awesome contribution to the DP site. Thanks and have a good one.

DigitPress Jim
    I love ALL Video Games with all my heart and soul

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Kind of off topic but I remember playing a NOES game for and it was far superior than the one released on NES. I believe it was somewhat like a dungeon crawler and involved the characters from part 3, each having similar abilities as in the movie. You could select a kid and when they died you had to change to another one (ala Friday the 13th), this usually happened to me when Freddy appeared.

I never did finish it, but I got pretty far and it's really one of those hidden gems you fall upon via abandonware. It's a good example what should be done with a licensed game and I'm surprised they didn't try something similar when Freddy VS Jason came out.
    Last edited by exit; 12-19-2007 at 01:13 AM.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Kind of off topic but I remember playing a NOES game for and it was far superior than the one released on NES. I believe it was somewhat like a dungeon crawler and involved the characters from part 3, each having similar abilities as in the movie.
    That's the C64/PC version.
    http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/f...me/default.php
    Last edited by PingvinBlueJeans; 12-19-2007 at 01:44 AM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have no idea who owns the poster, it was actually a picture from a guys collection I saw online.

Definately didn't misread it, now maybe they misprinted it (which was pointed out to me last night) and got Freddy and the heroes backwards. This wasn't terribly uncommon for NES stuff to get screwed up advertisements.

If anyone finds out anything further, please post it because I'm curious as hell.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

the orignial concept was scrapped for the more pc version that was released.
    and yes you were spose to play as freddy, only a few screen shots exist in a very early issue of nintendo power and one egm buyer's guide. I had scanned the np blurb years ago.

no idea about any kind of prototype existing of it however.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh okay cool. Do you have the link to that poster by chance that you can IM me camarotuner? I would be interested in checking it out. Thanks.
    I love ALL Video Games with all my heart and soul

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

OH NOES

lol
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    the orignial concept was scrapped for the more pc version that was released.
    and yes you were spose to play as freddy, only a few screen shots exist in a very early issue of nintendo power and one egm buyer's guide. I had scanned the np blurb years ago.
    Yes, I remember reading a preview of Nightmare on Elm Street in Nintendo Power. The player controlled Freddy and he had to kill children...or something like that. Then, when the game came out, I was confused because it was completely different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyone View Post
    I remember reading a magazine a long time ago, and they had an ad for like a funco type store, and they had a nes checklist... and one of the games that was coming out soon was Hellraiser. Never came out.
    Hellraiser was also supposed to release for the Turbo Grafx CD but didn't, just FYI.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nightmare on Elm Street NES version 1 confirmed

I have no idea who owns the poster, it was actually a picture from a guys collection I saw online.

Definately didn't misread it, now maybe they misprinted it (which was pointed out to me last night) and got Freddy and the heroes backwards. This wasn't terribly uncommon for NES stuff to get screwed up advertisements.

If anyone finds out anything further, please post it because I'm curious as hell.
    His eyes were not tricking him any. An old (of course it is going to be old)
    issue of Nintendo Power ran a story about the Nightmare on Elm Street game. However this was not the version NES fans would eventually play. The graphics displayed crudely crafted sprites of three children battling another crude sprite of Freddy. The setting was in a boiler room. The caption read something to effect of "Now you get to control Freddy in his battle for Elm Street." I remember thinking that Nintendo was losing their mind for letting such a game be released, this move seemed to contradict everything they appeared to stand for at the time. Time passed, eventually a new version of Nightmare on Elm Street was featured in Nintendo Power. The new version was the one NES fans are familiar with. I remember calling the Nintendo hotline and asking what the deal was. The Nintendo rep said that the idea was considered too violent and Nintendo wanted Rare/LJN to alter the gameplay. So yes, I remember the photo, I recall the caption.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Remembering the ad

I am new to the forum but I have been searching this topic. . .

I too have seen the LJN poster that showed about the original idea for the Nightmare on Elm Street game. It was actually at a Gamers Paradise when they used to sell video games as well as tabletop.

I remember that the player was able to control Freddy, the graphics were a lot more detailed, and he had the ability to travel through phone lines to get place to place.

You really can't find anything about this on the internet, however. . .It's almost like someone desperately tried to cover this up. I mean, if you look at the controversial unreleased games that were for NES and other systems that get a LOT of publicity, it's kind of weird that no one speaks on this.

But, please, if somebody can get a link to that pic of the poster I would greatly appreciate it. . .I've been searching for over 20 years. . .

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Abadon View Post
    But, please, if somebody can get a link to that pic of the poster I would greatly appreciate it. . .I've been searching for over 20 years. . .
    If it was indeed shown in Nintendo Power (as several people here have claimed), it should be fairly easy to locate. Who has an archive of back issues?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ok, it was at least far enough along to warrant a poster AND it has screen shots, can anyone find anything else on it?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ok, it was at least far enough along to warrant a poster AND it has screen shots, can anyone find anything else on it?
    Yes, it looks like that version was indeed at the playable stage, if not completely finished.

:waits for DreamTR to whip out the prototype: = P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. To quote that poster:

"You ARE Freddy Kruger. A horde of obnoxious teenagers is trying to get rid of you by finding your scattered bones and burying them. The only way to stop them is to kill them."

What were the people at LJN thinking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post

"You ARE Freddy Kruger. A horde of obnoxious teenagers is trying to get rid of you by finding your scattered bones and burying them. The only way to stop them is to kill them."
    Can you imagine the backlash they must have gotten from Nintendo?