Thread: Playing PAL games on US GameCube with Freeloader

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sorry about going all necromancer on this but I didn't see a reason to waste the space on a new thread.

I just got stupid super lucky in that 2mi down the road I just nabbed Doshin the Giant PAL/GCN in like new shape. I've wanted this game as long as it came out overseas and we got screwed out of it.

I recall the need of a freeloader needed for this, but I'm seeing some sketchy back and forward on information between the old one, the new one, 1.06 or 1.06b and before or after working or not.

WHat's the real deal here?

Also it came with a memory card 251 with someones hand writing on it saying "PAL GAMES ONLY" so I'm going to assume this is a case where if I tried to share a US card it would thrash my other saves. Right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I'm among those in the best position to help. A matter of getting me off the proverbial couch to bother buying a PAL game.
    Lum fan.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Also it came with a memory card 251 with someones hand writing on it saying "PAL GAMES ONLY" so I'm going to assume this is a case where if I tried to share a US card it would thrash my other saves. Right?
    I wasn't aware of such an issue between PAL and NTSC-U saves, but rather just between NTSC-J and other regions. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have a PAL save or two on one of my otherwise NTSC-U cards. But don't go on my word alone, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about it can either confirm or deny my claim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

It's determined by CONSOLE region. Not game disc region.

When you (for example) successfully save an NTSC-J game running under NTSC-U mode, any data created is in fact NTSC-U format.
    And may not be read by an NTSC-J system or copied onto an NTSC-J memory card.

The reason for so much confusion regarding this, is because devices like Action Replay, Freeloader, or modchips do not change the console's region setting. They instead just force imports to run.

Accordingly importing a memory card from Japan cannot help either. This example Gamecube, since it still boots into NTSC-U mode, would insist to reformat it.
    Last edited by theclaw; 01-16-2013 at 05:42 PM.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Makes me wonder then if it's console specific and not game, why someone would have bought Doshin the Giant, and then setup a memory card 251 all alone just for that and marked it PAL GAMES ONLY.

I've been considering getting Kururuin Splash, Mr Driller and a couple of others (and yes i'm aware driller won't save.) I just don't want to corrupt any existing data I have so I just wanted it clearly spelled out what is safe and what isn't.

If I need to buy another memory card that shouldn't be a problem as I'm sure there's a general lack of interest in the smaller ones like the 59 which is all I'd need.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I can't speak from experience about that part until I buy a PAL game. Sorry.
    Maybe they weren't aware of the specific details, or wanted to play it safe.

Well known Japanese games with English saving trouble is a short list:
    Radirgy
    Donkey Konga
    Donkey Konga 2
    Donkey Konga 3

I'd suspect Star Fox Assault also. But I'm not risking my data to find out.
    Memory card 59 wouldn't do for me. I want to try things like the Famicom games in Animal Forest+.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't have the bongos, did when it was new but I just couldn't get into it. I think Radirgy could be fun but the one I'd like I know would be a saving issue is Mr Driller, but I have no idea if saving is a real thing to care about with it as it's a puzzle game after all other than scores.

I'm thinking one of those Gundam titles would be fun, Nintendo Puzzle Collection, and the Hudson famicom remakes.

The PAL stuff I think that could be fun would be: Asterix & Obelix XXL, Knights of the Temple: Infernal Crusade, Pool Edge, V-Rally 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

You can add the Bleach game to the list. It'll save, but randomly after that it'll keep asking to reformat the card.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.