Thread: Will Wii games still be produced after the Wii U is released?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    A PS2 game came out a couple of weeks ago, five years after the PS3 came out. The last GBA game came out in 2008, three years after the DS came out. This further supports the notion that the Wii will have games for years to come.
    I don't know, there wasn't really much in the way of late releases for the Gamecube other than the Zelda game and frankly, the Wii was 100% backward compatible at release, so I can't see much coming out after the WiiU comes out. Frankly, other than sports games and some stuff that was converted from the PSP, I don't know why people seem to think that the PS2 has been "supported". It's not like Sony or anyone else put major development resources into it after the PS3 released.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Frankly, other than sports games and some stuff that was converted from the PSP, I don't know why people seem to think that the PS2 has been "supported". .
    It goes back to the original title of this thread. The OP wanted to know if they will still be making Wii games when WiiU comes out. He didn't say "supported," so any sports game or whatever should count.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Frankly, other than sports games and some stuff that was converted from the PSP, I don't know why people seem to think that the PS2 has been "supported". It's not like Sony or anyone else put major development resources into it after the PS3 released.
    It's not supported much after the release of the next version, but much more than any other system to date. It's not just sports games either. Persona 3 was released before the PS3 in Japan, FES, that included additional content was released afterwards. I'm pointing out Persona 3 only because work on Persona 4 probably didn't start until after Persona 3 was finished or later. Persona 4 was released in 2008, almost two years after the release of the PS3 in Japan, past two years in the US.

The PS2 got a decent amount of support compared to pretty much any other console. Something we can compare right now is the DS. At the same point in time after the release of the previous console, the PS2 was still getting a somewhat decent amount of games. Most of them may have been multiconsole titles or ports, but still getting releases all the same. It did get its fair share of exclusives as well, though.

Off topic, but check out the releases coming out for the PSP. For PAL owners, unless you import Gungnir, Growlanser, and probably Persona 2 from the US you should move along as there's nothing more to see. Even sports games don't make the listing, but they do in the Japan listing. Looking at the Japan release list and . The Japanese really love the PSP.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Look, I'm not doubting the premise that the PS2 continued to be supported or that it has been better supported than any other console of its age. There were even a few good games for the PS2 after the PS3 was released. Having said that, I think it's a little silly to get too excited about the possibility of the Wii continuing to be supported or have releases for it after the WiiU comes out. Sure, there may be a few titles that were too late to switch over to the new platform just like there always are, but other than from the collectors perspective of buying the last release or something along those lines, I have yet to see an older platform get something amazing once the new hardware is released.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It's not supported much after the release of the next version, but much more than any other system to date. It's not just sports games either. Persona 3 was released before the PS3 in Japan, FES, that included additional content was released afterwards. I'm pointing out Persona 3 only because work on Persona 4 probably didn't start until after Persona 3 was finished or later. Persona 4 was released in 2008, almost two years after the release of the PS3 in Japan, past two years in the US.

The PS2 got a decent amount of support compared to pretty much any other console. Something we can compare right now is the DS. At the same point in time after the release of the previous console, the PS2 was still getting a somewhat decent amount of games. Most of them may have been multiconsole titles or ports, but still getting releases all the same. It did get its fair share of exclusives as well, though.

Off topic, but check out the releases coming out for the PSP. For PAL owners, unless you import Gungnir, Growlanser, and probably Persona 2 from the US you should move along as there's nothing more to see. Even sports games don't make the listing, but they do in the Japan listing. Looking at the Japan release list and . The Japanese really love the PSP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I imagine the Wii U will come with a set of Wii controls out of the box for backwards compatibility with the Wii and Wii U motion gaming.

I don't know, there wasn't really much in the way of late releases for the Gamecube other than the Zelda game and frankly, the Wii was 100% backward compatible at release, so I can't see much coming out after the WiiU comes out. Frankly, other than sports games and some stuff that was converted from the PSP, I don't know why people seem to think that the PS2 has been "supported". It's not like Sony or anyone else put major development resources into it after the PS3 released.
    There will be something like 100 million Wii's out there this fall. I can assure you a developer isn't going to automatically dismiss the platform just because the Wii U is out on the market. If anything, beyond the traditional fair (1st party Nintendo releases and major 3rd party games), I suspect Wii U backwards compatibility will help ensure the scores of budget games aimed at the casual gamer will keep the Wii's release schedule at least semi busy for years to come. And I don't know why you think Wii U backwards compatibility apparently makes it even less likely for the Wii to see more releases. Logic dictates the situation would be exactly the opposite since Wii U gamers will still have the option to enjoy Wii releases (Along with those 100 million Wii's out there)

And to me, something like Motorstorm Arctic Edge, a PSP port back in 2008 or so, most certainly qualifies as "support". Seems like a odd distinction to consider it otherwise.

Was the Xbox barely ever supported just because the vast majority of 3rd party projects were PS2 ports? I don't think you'd find much support for such a notion.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-29-2015 at 02:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    And I don't know why you think WiiU backwards compatibility apparantly makes it even less likely for the Wii to see more releases. Logic dictates the situation would be exactly the opposite since WiiU gamers will still have the option to enjoy Wii releases (Along with those 100 million Wii's out there)
    Well, that didn't happen with the GC, despite the Wii's perfect backward compatibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Edit - I'm not sure why I thought Bojay was suggesting that Wii U BC will make it even less likely that the Wii will be supported since I don't see that in his replies just now after rereading them. So ignore that bit of my argument.

The GameCube was all but abandoned by consumers well before release of its replacement and had less than quarter of the amount of consoles out there that the Wii has. Beyond Twilight Princess after the Wii was released, there had been very little activity on the console for a long time and there was little activity shortly after Twilight Princess was released. There's little that Wii GCN support could've done to actually bring back any sort of life to that platform.

The Wii has added something upwards of 10 million consoles in the past 6 months or so. My impression of the Wii is that it's still selling halfway decently for a 5 year old underpowered console and many Wii owners are still regularly using it (Although new releases of any major interest to people like us has dwindled to a trickle and I'm sure will be drying up completely soon). Wii U backwards compatibility is just going to encourage that to last for longer than it would've otherwise.

I suspect the Wii is going to remain the system of choice for budget releases, releases aimed at young children, minigame collections, casual games, etc (And I would look for Nintendo's apparently successful Selects line of rereleases to continue). Wii U backwards compatibility is just going to help encourage that material to continue to be released on the Wii.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-29-2015 at 02:51 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    And the GameCube was all but abandoned by consumers well before release and had less than quarter of the amount of consoles out there that the Wii has. Beyond Twilight Princess after the Wii was released, there had been very little activity on the console for a long time and there was little activity shortly after Twilight Princess was released. There's little that Wii GCN support could've done to actually bring back any sort of life to that platform.

The Wii has added something upwards of 10 million consoles in the past 6 months or so. My impression of the Wii is that it's still selling halfway decently for a 5 year old underpowered console and many Wii owners are still regularly using it (Although new releases of any major interest to people like us has dwindled to a trickle).

I suspect the Wii is going to remain the system of choice for budget releases, releases aimed at young children, minigame collections, casual games, etc. And WiiU backwards compatibility is just going to help encourage that material to continue to be released on the Wii.
    I guess you haven't seen the attach rate data for the Wii. It's gotten to the point where even the budget publishers aren't bothering anymore. I don't think there has been a new Wii release from the usual suspects like Zoo or Storm City since early Fall of 2011. Maximum Family Games has even moved on to the Xbox 360. The reality is that the audience outside of collectors who continue to play a console after the next generation has been released is generally the same audience who buys used games and isn't too interested in cheap but very mediocre or downright poor new games. The WiiU hasn't even been released and doesn't even have a firm US release date, but the number of upcoming Wii releases is literally tiny. There's no way some publisher is going to suddenly see it as an opportunity a year or two from now when the user base is a fraction of what it is today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You don't even typically see most Wii releases on release list months ahead of time. I'm sure the shovelware will continue for an extended period. Many shovelware publishers concentrate on the Fall with few releases before the end of summer.

And what's attach rate data prove? That's number of games sold divided by number of consoles sold. How exactly are you using that number to show that publishers aren't even bothering with the platform now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It proves that Wii owners aren't buying many games, which makes supporting the platform less attractive.