Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The D-pad is all wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm also not impressed with what I've seen so far of this. But I disagree with his assessment on these things being pointless. Handheld clones of past systems are very appealing to me when they're done right (Which this one doesn't strike me as being anywhere close, so far).

The screen doesn't even look like it's a 4:3 display to me in that video. If they can't get something as basic as that correct, it leaves little hope for the thing.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-09-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Old_Skool_Fool's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I kind of have to agree to a point.

From the video the controllers look like cheap crap, though they usually are. The system itself seems like a decent portable SNES. I can see MyTurnToPlay's point when he pulled out the NES adapter. You can't really call that a portable anymore at that point. I can't agree on any other level though.

The controller adapter is the real awesome thing here. The controllers are MUCH better than the FC16 Go, and of course they aren't up to par with official controllers, but then again...what is?

I feel it's great as a portable, as the converter is a 2 inch extension from the base connect of the unit. I mean, NES carts are HUGE to begin with. Just because you need an adapter doesn't make it less of a portable. I had a TG16 Express and I had a 7 Inch import game converter that stuck out of that thing ridiculous, and that was exactly what that thing was built for back in the day. I really don't see that as being an issue at all.

This is a PORTABLE CONSOLE. This can setup as a sit up unit or out to the TV via the cable. Realistically you can't fit 2 ports into the unit without it being super wide and uncomfortable. This unit is comfortable to hold. And is going to have some serious compatibility. Especially with the add-on carts.
    http://www.DasReviews.com
    Game News & Reviews On Just About Anything!
    Please Support our Sponsors at:
    http://www.DasCheap.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I would call it a portable SNES. I would not call it a portable NES with that thing sticking out of the top. That's just my opinion. Also, I said that all the included controllers with any of these clones are crap. I'm just glad that they make them to work with the original controllers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Skool_Fool View Post
    And is going to have some serious compatibility. Especially with the add-on carts.
    Elaborate.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    The screen doesn't even look like it's a 4:3 display to me in that video. If they can't get something as basic as that correct, it leaves little hope for the thing.
    Can we get a confirmation on this? I'd call an incorrect aspect ratio a pretty big deal.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well I was simply pointing out the irony of demanding perfection from clones, which are by definition, crap.

Fact#1: NES and SNES carts were never meant to be played portably.
    Fact#2: Clone systems have always been, and will always be, total and complete garbage.
    Fact#3: Due to Fact#1 & Fact#2 above, either stay away from clones altogether....OR buy them and shut up. If you want the best NES/SNES experience, play it using original hardware. Otherwise, stop your whining and b*tching, and get over it.

thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    This is true, but what's your point? I like the idea of being able to do something the original creators never intended. I like the idea of playing my old carts on commutes, trips or hell, in bed. This is the same appeal s the Sega Nomad all those years ago.

Fact#2: Clone systems have always been, and will always be, total and complete garbage.
    That's your opinion, not a fact. Clones have continued to become better and better as time has gone on because the market looking for such devices has also increased. There are quite a number of clones that are not "complete garbage" such as the RetorN3, RetroDuo and the Famulator. I can't speak to the quality of the RetroDuo Portable, but it does look like it'll be very good as well.

Fact#3: Due to Fact#1 & Fact#2 above, either stay away from clones altogether....OR buy them and shut up. If you want the best NES/SNES experience, play it using original hardware. Otherwise, stop your whining and b*tching, and get over it.
    Dude I'm not after a flamewar or anything, but why don't YOU shut up? This thread isn't for people who don't have interest in this clone and never planned to buy it in the first place. If you want the experience of the original hardware then yes go for the original hardware. This isn't about that. This is about the march of technology reverse engineering devices from when we were kids to play the same software. It's cool and its fun. For Famiclones I love to see the progression of them with better and more capable NOACs coming out every year. I am excited for the RDP even though its not practical and even if it's not as good as the real hardware.

For me that doesn't matter. I already own five NES toasters, an NES toploader, a Famicom, two AV Famicoms and a PC10. It's the clones that interest me now. If that's not you, then fine, just leave this thread. You don't like clones. We get it. This thread is for people who do.

thank you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nintendoexpress35ir_sized.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	4275

It might seem like a silly reason, but this bit from a 1991 issue of EGM sums up a lot of why I find portable clones interesting and exciting. Even back then there was an awareness that portable consoles were a cool idea. That part of me that got excited twenty years ago by this never released portable NES is the same part that gets hyped by these new devices that fulfill that original promise. They aren't mean to be the final and best solution to playing these games, but they do deliver options and avenues not available with original hardware -such as portability, or wireless controllers (speaking specifically to the FC-16 Go, which got that aspect right).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm just waiting for a hands on review of the Genesis Adapter on the SNES, How good is it

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this really a Pokefami DX marketed for the US? It's important to know whether the parts are the same, the Pokefami DX has a very nice color temperature leaning towards warm in contrast to the Supaboy which leans towards colder colors. I would like to know what this one is like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Taiyaki View Post
    Is this really a Pokefami DX marketed for the US?
    That's still currently unknown. According to Old_Skool_Fool the PokeFami DX and the RetroDuo Portable are not the same, but I don't entirely believe him. The Chinese clone market is incestuous. The NeoFami was released by Yobo as the FC Game Console and is now being sold by RetroBit as the Retorn1. Other than the name and perhaps the casing, its the same system. I wouldn't be surprised if the PokeFami DX and RDP are both being made by Shenzhen Qi Sheng Long.

It makes sense that the PokeFami DX is the Japanese/Asian version of the upcoming RetroDuo Portable, but it's impossible to say for sure until someone does a side-by-side comparison.
    Last edited by Satoshi_Matrix; 01-09-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I was simply pointing out the irony of demanding perfection from clones, which are by definition, crap.

thank you.
    It's alright to state your opinion as long as you didn't call other people who buy merchandises you don't like "morons". I'm sure you bough some craps I don't like as well but I didn't see you as a moron. No one appreciate the rudeness in your post , please.
    Last edited by TKO; 01-09-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    The NeoFami was released by Yobo as the FC Game Console and is now being sold by RetroBit as the Retorn1
    No. RetroBit sells the NeoFami as the Retro Entertainment System. It's Hyperkin that sells it as the RetroN1.

But I do hope the PokeFAMI DX is what the RetroDuo Portable is based on because holy crap, I love the sound output of that thing! I'd love to hear some direct audio capture of some more games on the PokeFAMI DX, especially Gradius III, Doom and UN Squadron(this is mainly to see if the audio amp is adequate for the game as UN Squadron will have audio issues depending on the amp. The FC3 Plus causes garbled audio due to all the audio being mixed into Mono before being amplified and the RetroN3 Version 2 makes the sound unbearably loud and distorted due to the audio signal being too strong entering the audio amp).
    Last edited by Ace; 01-09-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thank you.
    How about we talk about clone hardware in this thread and you shut the fuck up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I think it's probably best to just ignore any future posts by MyTurnToPlay in this thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As somebody who has not had an interest in clones and knows next to nothing about their performance, assuming this is the same as the Pokefami DX, is that a good thing or a bad thing? Compatibility? Accuracy in terms of how it performs compared to authentic hardware? And if it isn't the same as a Pokefami DX, what improvements over that can be expected/desired?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

If the upcomming RDP is the same as the PokefamiDX, then that's a very GOOD thing. The Pokefami DX has perfect sound and a very nice looking picture, and from what I hear, the dpad is very good as well. Super Famiclones tend to be compatible with nearly everything. The only games that won't even up playing as any revision of SA-1 games beyond 1.0. This isn't a hardware thing, but a software thing. Nintendo programmed SA-1 games to refuse to boot if they don't detect the original hardware.

If the RDP isn't the Pokefami DX, then it can only mean bad things such as inferior audio.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good to know. I really wish there was more information at the moment. I'm currently a bit messed up right now regarding my access to video games so I'd be pretty interested in preordering this thing. But I don't want to commit nearly 100 bones to something without knowing a lot more about it, especially when there's some discrepancy over what the internals are.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Well, and it obviously doesn't support the VRC6/VRC7 chip, but then again, only the Famicom did. In that review, he didn't exactly push the system. I wanted to see if Kirby Super Star, Starfox, Castlevania III/IV, or Super Mario RPG would work.

What is the estimated date of arrival on this? I may wait for some reviews from other people in this thread.