Thread: Last Game Gear release?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Last Game Gear release?

Today I acquired a loose copy of The Lost World: Jurassic Park for .79 cents for the Genesis and as I was looking up information about it on gamefaqs I saw that a Game Gear version was also released in 1997 and knew that it had to be one of the last games for the system. So now I'm wondering what was the final Game Gear release? What were some of the late releases (1996-1997)? One I know of is Sonic Blast.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

According to Wikipedia, it was the last game on the system. As for '96 - '97 games in NA there was only Jurassic Park, Sonic Blast, PGA Tour '96, Virtua Fighter Animation, and X-Men: Mojo World. Hope this helps!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Weren't Bugs Bunny in Double Trouble, Smurfs 2 and Tintin in the Tibet released in 1996 too? I think I remember them being released then.
    Step Back! This is my blast shot!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Plus View Post
    Weren't Bugs Bunny in Double Trouble, Smurfs 2 and Tintin in the Tibet released in 1996 too? I think I remember them being released then.
    The first two were, but wasn't Tintin in Tibet released in 1995? Wikipedia seems to not know.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tintin in the Tibet was released towards the end of Summer 96 in Europe, if I'm not mistaken.
    Step Back! This is my blast shot!

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

X-Men Mojo World is terrible, but iirc it's the only x-game where Bishop's now dead sister Shard was a playable character. They were always throwing weird extra characters into the Game Gear x-games, like how Cable was hidden character in Gamesmaster's Legacy but Sega didn't care about making him playable in any of their Genesis releases at the height of his mid-'90s popularity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is not 100% clear what the final Game Gear release was. Originally, it was indeed The Lost World, both in the US and globally. However, there is some uncertainty about Super Battletank. It was reviewed in magazines in 1994 but it's unclear if it was actually released at that time, or not until the release of the Majesco Game Gear in 2000, or possibly sometime in between. Majesco was doing Genesis reprints well before they were doing Genesis systems, so it's possible that even if only the Majesco version exists, it was released way before the Majesco Game Gear.
    Last edited by j_factor; 02-02-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    It is not 100% clear what the final Game Gear release was. Originally, it was indeed The Lost World, both in the US and globally. However, there is some uncertainty about Super Battletank. It was reviewed in magazines in 1994 but it's unclear if it was actually released at that time, or not until the release of the Majesco Game Gear in 2000, or possibly sometime in between. Majesco was doing Genesis reprints well before they were doing Genesis systems, so it's possible that even if only the Majesco version exists, it was released way before the Majesco Game Gear.
    Huh, that's interesting, I didn't realize that Super Battletank had never had an original release... I'd always thought that the last GG game was The Lost World, 1997's only Game Gear release anywhere. I guess it might not have been, if Super Battletank indeed never got a pre-Majesco release.

As for the GG Lost World game, I have it. It's incredibly, incredibly short, I'm not even sure if there's an hour of gameplay in the thing... it's okay while it lasts, but there's almost nothing there. The Genesis game is a lot more ambitious and higher quality.