Thread: Things people do with/to classic games and systems that really bothers you

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0) SNESMaster's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BlueBomber03
    3DS Friend
    0817-4236-4184
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/plumbersdontwearties

Same as treismac and the original post. I also hate it when people write their names on the cartridge. Why would you do that? As long as you put the game back on the shelf or in its case when you finish playing, you're not gonna lose it, and it's annoying to buy a game with "BOB JOHNSON" written across the label.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SNESMaster View Post
    I also hate it when people write their names on the cartridge. Why would you do that? As long as you put the game back on the shelf or in its case when you finish playing, you're not gonna lose it, and it's annoying to buy a game with "BOB JOHNSON" written across the label.

This sooo much this

and old blockbuster stickers on n64 games that you cant take off, otherwise the whole front label will come off.

also im guilty of cord wrapping never had a problem what does irk me is when people grab the cord and let the controller spiral down and bungie, thats where shorts in the wires come from

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Same as treismac and the original post. I also hate it when people write their names on the cartridge. Why would you do that? As long as you put the game back on the shelf or in its case when you finish playing, you're not gonna lose it, and it's annoying to buy a game with "BOB JOHNSON" written across the label.
    You heard of "PARENTS"?
    Maybe they like to identify which belong to their kid's "FRIENDS"?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    You heard of "PARENTS"?
    Maybe they like to identify which belong to their kid's "FRIENDS"?
    Yeah, I'm surprised that anyone would be confused by this practice. I don't know about these days, but back in the day of NES, SNES, and what have you, kids were frequently lending their games to friends. With so many games swapping around, it was understandable that kids or parents would want to identify what's theirs. Of course, that doesn't make it any less annoying for us buying these games used.

Anyway, I wouldn't say I'm "really bothered" by anything that people do to their games. I mean, people are entitled to do what they want with their own property. And I'm sure there are people who would take issue even with things I do. That said, there are still plenty of things that people do that I consider stupid and/or illogical. But if you want something that really bothers me, it would be the mentality behind people who treat their possessions like crap. Not because I'm so worried about the objects themselves but because I think people are spoiled and need to appreciate the things that they have. Even if you've lost interest in something, you can still respect the fact that somebody had to spend money on it, so why not keep it nice and sell or give it away to someone who hopefully would have interest in it? I also hate the idea of people being wasteful, so I don't like useable things getting thrown away. It's irresponsible to think landfills are these magical places that can accept an infinite amount of junk, which then just disappears. There's so much stuff that's constantly being manufactured, using up valuable resources, when it wouldn't need to be manufactured to such an extent if people stopped being so wasteful. Just look at the awful situation with plastic water bottles. So many go straight to landfills, which is bad enough when they could be recycled, but if more people used reusable bottles, a ton of them wouldn't need to be made in the first place. Now I'm really straying from the subject, though, so I'll leave it at that.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SNESMaster's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BlueBomber03
    3DS Friend
    0817-4236-4184
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/plumbersdontwearties

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Yeah, I'm surprised that anyone would be confused by this practice. I don't know about these days, but back in the day of NES, SNES, and what have you, kids were frequently lending their games to friends. With so many games swapping around, it was understandable that kids or parents would want to identify what's theirs. Of course, that doesn't make it any less annoying for us buying these games used.

Anyway, I wouldn't say I'm "really bothered" by anything that people do to their games. I mean, people are entitled to do what they want with their own property. And I'm sure there are people who would take issue even with things I do. That said, there are still plenty of things that people do that I consider stupid and/or illogical. But if you want something that really bothers me, it would be the mentality behind people who treat their possessions like crap. Not because I'm so worried about the objects themselves but because I think people are spoiled and need to appreciate the things that they have. Even if you've lost interest in something, you can still respect the fact that somebody had to spend money on it, so why not keep it nice and sell or give it away to someone who hopefully would have interest in it? I also hate the idea of people being wasteful, so I don't like useable things getting thrown away. It's irresponsible to think landfills are these magical places that can accept an infinite amount of junk, which then just disappears. There's so much stuff that's constantly being manufactured, using up valuable resources, when it wouldn't need to be manufactured to such an extent if people stopped being so wasteful. Just look at the awful situation with plastic water bottles. So many go straight to landfills, which is bad enough when they could be recycled, but if more people used reusable bottles, a ton of them wouldn't need to be made in the first place. Now I'm really straying from the subject, though, so I'll leave it at that.
    Oh, I get it now. Sorry about that. I didn't realize people used to trade games that much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also hate it when people write their names on the cartridge. Why would you do that? As long as you put the game back on the shelf or in its case when you finish playing, you're not gonna lose it, and it's annoying to buy a game with "BOB JOHNSON" written across the label.
    I have a few NES games with my name (and some with my friends names) on them, but this is a bi-product of my mom writing my name on my games when I was young, just in case I took them over to a friends house we'd know who owned what. I don't see any reason for a grown person to do this. Maybe these names you see are from similar situations like mine.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Flam View Post
    I have a few NES games with my name (and some with my friends names) on them, but this is a bi-product of my mom writing my name on my games when I was young, just in case I took them over to a friends house we'd know who owned what. I don't see any reason for a grown person to do this. Maybe these names you see are from similar situations like mine.
    i actually have a tetris gameboy game i got back in high school off a kid that has a name written on the back of it... should really try to see about trying to get that removed since its on the back and all...

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flam View Post
    Yeah, I would bet that just about every time you see a name on a game cart is was a kid's parents for the same reason. Rubbing alcohol usually takes that off thankfully