Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things people do with/to classic games and systems that really bothers you

Insert Coin (Level 0) SNESMaster's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BlueBomber03
    3DS Friend
    0817-4236-4184
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/plumbersdontwearties

Same as treismac and the original post. I also hate it when people write their names on the cartridge. Why would you do that? As long as you put the game back on the shelf or in its case when you finish playing, you're not gonna lose it, and it's annoying to buy a game with "BOB JOHNSON" written across the label.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Two main things:

Goodwills that throw away classic games and consoles. Notice that you never see anything older than NES at Goodwill. There is a reason for that

Hmm, come to think of it I have NEVER seen systems older than the NES at Goodwill. Wonder if a person could strike a deal where they call you for all the older stuff if you promise to haul it off no matter what it is? I guess you would have to be close to the manager because I can see all sorts of people trying to strike deals like this.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Also, stickers on consoles.

*shudder*

I'm guilty of this. But I like the way the stickers look on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I do that all the time and have never had a cord fail.
    Man, ya'll need to stay away from my place.

I always wrap up my controllers. It easier and neater to store.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    I'm not sitting in judgment on those who do this, but here goes: I dislike when collecting video games overrides actually playing them. I'll spare you my intended function of a video game rant, but I will say that slabbing a game doesn't sit well with me. I suppose on a very common game like Super Mario Bros. it doesn't bother me as much as much as when a Nintendo World Championships gets the Hans Solo carbonite treatment. Yet, even this tragedy is mitigated by virtue of the availability of NWC repros.

Video games are potential fun (ala potential energy), and sealing them away forever keeps this fun from ever happening. I'm a half-ass animist when it comes to video games. I like the idea of rescuing neglected games from garages where they are being buried and forgotten about in some box with a ton of other miscellaneous stuff. Slabbing them is like rescuing a butterfly and then dipping it in formaldehyde to seal it up. Let the butterfly fly and play the damn video game.
    I have to agree 100 percent. Not once have I gotten a game and not played the hell out of it. I don't mean mistreat it but I mean play it a considerable amount. I guess I'm more of an "enthusiast" than a collector. Honestly I have been looking all over for a cheap copy of earthbound that is playable NOT beautiful. I may even buy a repro because I don't care if it's authentic or good looking I just wanna play the damn game

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    This ranks up there with the age old question of...What do people do with game cases and manuals after they buy games? It infuriates me to no end.
    This drives me nuts, especially with newer games. Why the hell would you separate the disc from the case at all, unless you're playing it? It seems like when you go to a place like Gamestop these days more than half the used games are in those shitty store brand cases. Hate it. And I do wonder what people do with the manuals. All of my games are as complete as the day they were when I bought them, most of them even have the receipt from the purchase. Also hate people that write stuff on games, particularly cart games.

BTW, do you work at Oogie games? If so, I'm in your store all the time, bought my Wii there. Wish you had more XBox games, but I guess you're limited to what people bring you. You said on your blog that you're opening a store, where's it going to be located?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In addition to many of the things above, another one that drives me nuts is seeing people who swear by blowing into cartridges to get them to work. Yes while a good temporary fix, the moisture from your breath can actually do more damage in the long run and it won't get it anywhere as clean and good working as if taking the minute to clean it with a q-tip and alcohol (or whatever your preferred cleaning method is).

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

This;

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Sativa View Post
    This drives me nuts, especially with newer games. Why the hell would you separate the disc from the case at all, unless you're playing it? It seems like when you go to a place like Gamestop these days more than half the used games are in those shitty store brand cases. Hate it. And I do wonder what people do with the manuals. All of my games are as complete as the day they were when I bought them, most of them even have the receipt from the purchase. Also hate people that write stuff on games, particularly cart games.
    There's a pretty good chance that half of those were gutted by rental places like Blockbuster and then traded into places like Gamestop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

AHH!!! Those words are poison. Perfect example. Next to my parents business is a bulk wholesale shop owned by two old brothers. When I was little my dad would bring me in and let me pick out a new NES and eventually a Genesis game when I got into Sega. Last summer I was talking to one of the brothers wife who frequents our shop...and asked her..hey ...when I was little I used to get video games..what did they do with all them? Her response was "Those two idiot brothers locked a bunch of the stuff away in a storage unit and then had family go through it all and toss the stuff away"

I almost cried.
    Everytime I hear the story about the Atari Consoles and games being crushed in the New Mexico desert, it almost infuriates me. You'd think the local officials would have rounded up the stuff and put it to good use, instead of asking Atari to dispose of it properly.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    This;

I hate when I get a package of games from craigslist and they hide 2 gay guys in the box with the carts... so frustrating

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SNESMaster View Post
    I also hate it when people write their names on the cartridge. Why would you do that? As long as you put the game back on the shelf or in its case when you finish playing, you're not gonna lose it, and it's annoying to buy a game with "BOB JOHNSON" written across the label.

This sooo much this

and old blockbuster stickers on n64 games that you cant take off, otherwise the whole front label will come off.

also im guilty of cord wrapping never had a problem what does irk me is when people grab the cord and let the controller spiral down and bungie, thats where shorts in the wires come from

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SNESMaster View Post
    Same as treismac and the original post. I also hate it when people write their names on the cartridge. Why would you do that? As long as you put the game back on the shelf or in its case when you finish playing, you're not gonna lose it, and it's annoying to buy a game with "BOB JOHNSON" written across the label.
    You heard of "PARENTS"?
    Maybe they like to identify which belong to their kid's "FRIENDS"?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    People who wrap the wires around controllers. Winds up usually screwing the wire up.
    you can wrap wires around controllers without them getting screwed up. You just have to make sure you leave some slack in the cord where it hooks into the controller itself. You don't want it bending over, but standing straight out from it. Shouldn't be a problem at that point because there is no stress on the cable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    Also, maybe not "classic" but I really don't get why people dispose of cases for disc based media.
    100% in agreement. Really, that DVD/CD case taking up too much room? Had to part with it and the manual to ease the clutter? Whatever, dipshits.

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Encasing sealed games in plastic and referring to them as investments.
    No game is an investment until you find a sucker dumb enough to pay you that price. i knew a guy who said he had a single baseball card in a safe deposit box that was worth over $14 K. I told him it was worthless until he found someone who would give him $14 K for it.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Agreed here too, I don't get nor appreciate much sealed let alone slabbed games, furthermore I consider VGA itself to be a borderline fraud enterprise trapping suckers into paying them into grading games. I think they're games, they should be used, just like people who have collected old coins, stamps, cards, comics and the rest. They unless you lucked into something that never hit 'the wild' are usually used and vary in condition, but they're are used. So where's the crime in not using a game eh?

I should probably clarify the VGA comment too. If you check their site they don't have a solid set of standards like coin, print(comic, book, etc), and sports card grading groups do. They have this nebulous list of things they look for, that's it. Worse yet, the standards are soft. Time and again I've seen NintendoAge members submit not like a score and resubmit (one or more) again until they get what they want. If grading is supposed to be a sign of trusting quality why have it set such a way being so loose and allowing stuff to keep going back in until someone gets a grade high enough they like. Smells fishy to me. And then getting more common people do it and don't save them, they take a $100 sealed title and flip it for a grand up on ebay which screws up the averages sealed or not.

...and cord rolling I've done on controllers since 85, not one has ever broken or stretched so I don't intend to stop. If you don't wrap it as tight as possible it's not going to hurt it.

JOEY Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/nes-lot-vga-...tem4d045e3d66=

Here we go. One douchebag on ebay rolled up most of the things I hate all into one thing. We got VGA, overpriced BIN and the shipping is FREE. This dude can go suck a dick. 80,000 dollars.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    You heard of "PARENTS"?
    Maybe they like to identify which belong to their kid's "FRIENDS"?
    Yeah, I'm surprised that anyone would be confused by this practice. I don't know about these days, but back in the day of NES, SNES, and what have you, kids were frequently lending their games to friends. With so many games swapping around, it was understandable that kids or parents would want to identify what's theirs. Of course, that doesn't make it any less annoying for us buying these games used.

Anyway, I wouldn't say I'm "really bothered" by anything that people do to their games. I mean, people are entitled to do what they want with their own property. And I'm sure there are people who would take issue even with things I do. That said, there are still plenty of things that people do that I consider stupid and/or illogical. But if you want something that really bothers me, it would be the mentality behind people who treat their possessions like crap. Not because I'm so worried about the objects themselves but because I think people are spoiled and need to appreciate the things that they have. Even if you've lost interest in something, you can still respect the fact that somebody had to spend money on it, so why not keep it nice and sell or give it away to someone who hopefully would have interest in it? I also hate the idea of people being wasteful, so I don't like useable things getting thrown away. It's irresponsible to think landfills are these magical places that can accept an infinite amount of junk, which then just disappears. There's so much stuff that's constantly being manufactured, using up valuable resources, when it wouldn't need to be manufactured to such an extent if people stopped being so wasteful. Just look at the awful situation with plastic water bottles. So many go straight to landfills, which is bad enough when they could be recycled, but if more people used reusable bottles, a ton of them wouldn't need to be made in the first place. Now I'm really straying from the subject, though, so I'll leave it at that.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Space-Ace-13 View Post
    I hate when I get a package of games from craigslist and they hide 2 gay guys in the box with the carts... so frustrating
    MAO! Would it be any better if they had a sealed copy of something like Earthbound or Panzer Dragoon Saga stashed with them?
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MAO! Would it be any better if they had a sealed copy of something like Earthbound or Panzer Dragoon Saga stashed with them?
    Well that depends, would I have to... keep the gay guys??