Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do any of the new portables allow for "PERFECT" emulation of the SNES ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    There is no way the PSP's SNES emulation is going to please someone upset that these clones are not perfect. Genesis and NES are pretty good, as is GBA, and GB/GBC is near perfect, but I've never been satisfied with any revision of the SNES emulator on the PSP.
    The PSP as an emulator machine has it's ups and downs. It can play A LOT of different emulators, and some of them very well. But.....

The screen is 16:9. Not the right aspect ratio for these retro games. Also, when the game is moving, you get a considerable amount of smearing of the video image. Then there is the stock D-Pad and buttons.

While some emulators work well, and certain games work well, the emulation can be a bit spotty. Especially with SNES it seems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Also, when the game is moving, you get a considerable amount of smearing of the video image.
    I really can't imagine a portable SNES of any kind that won't have that problem.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PSP as an emulator machine has it's ups and downs. It can play A LOT of different emulators, and some of them very well. But.....

The screen is 16:9. Not the right aspect ratio for these retro games. Also, when the game is moving, you get a considerable amount of smearing of the video image. Then there is the stock D-Pad and buttons.

While some emulators work well, and certain games work well, the emulation can be a bit spotty. Especially with SNES it seems.
    While I am wholly of the opinion that the PSP is a horrible SNES emulator, the issue f the screen aspect ratio is, well, a non-issue. You can set the emulator to display 4:3. Problem solved, image is beautiful. Too bad it runs at 13 FPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I really can't imagine a portable SNES of any kind that won't have that problem.
    I haven't noticed anything like that on the GP Wiz, but then the controls aren't all that great, so it's pretty pointless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    the issue of the screen aspect ratio is, well, a non-issue. You can set the emulator to display 4:3.
    Yeah, you can, but I don't want to play it "pillar boxed". I guess, I wouldn't mind it if I had a special skin thing for the PSP that would keep those side bars completely hidden. The side black bars are distracting. I'd rather play it in a stretched out mode, which most think is even more horrible. For me, I hate pillarboxing, so I'd rather zoom it out.

Man, I wish somebody would make a handheld with a nice sized 4:3 screen, good contrast, good viewing angles, and some comfortable buttons and a D-Pad very much like a Saturn D-Pad. With enough power to run a SNES emulator at a decent level, although I'd be willing to settle for really good PC Engine and Megadrive emulation.

currently playing: Resident Evil 4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you played Metroid 4: Fusion for GameBoy Advanced? It's pretty close to what I'd expect from SNES, and Zelda: Minish Cap is just as good graphic wise as 'A Link to the Past'.
    Last edited by algol291; 02-04-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, you can, but I don't want to play it "pillar boxed". I guess, I wouldn't mind it if I had a special skin thing for the PSP that would keep those side bars completely hidden. The side black bars are distracting. I'd rather play it in a stretched out mode, which most think is even more horrible. For me, I hate pillarboxing, so I'd rather zoom it out.

Man, I wish somebody would make a handheld with a nice sized 4:3 screen, good contrast, good viewing angles, and some comfortable buttons and a D-Pad very much like a Saturn D-Pad. With enough power to run a SNES emulator at a decent level, although I'd be willing to settle for really good PC Engine and Megadrive emulation.
    Well, I guess we'll see how long it takes for the Vita to get hacked (though it won't be a 4:3 screen) and emulators to start popping up. I've got one pre-ordered with my corporate card...the benefits of working for Sony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't say I feel the same. I don't find windowboxed mode distracting at all, especially if the system itself is black.
    Maybe you could set up some sort of Super Gameboy type borders or something.
    That would be nice, yes.