Thread: Will Wii games still be produced after the Wii U is released?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DOAsaturn View Post
    In actuality, the Wii's existence is what kept the PS2 viable in stores until now. Most of the games still trickling out for the PS2 were Wii ports (and a few PSP ports). The Wii doesn't have that advantage now.
    You've got that backwards. Most of the games that are on both the PS2 and the Wii were originally PS2 games. The only one that I can think of that was on the Wii first and a much better game on the Wii as well, is Silent Hill Shattered Memories. Tenkaichi 2, Tenkaichi 3, Driver Parallel Lines, Scarface, Baroque(US version has the same release date, but it was PS2 first in Japan,) Dokapon Kingdom(PS2 released first in Japan,) and many I'm sure.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You've got that backwards. Most of the games that are on both the PS2 and the Wii were originally PS2 games. The only one that I can think of that was on the Wii first and a much better game on the Wii as well, is Silent Hill Shattered Memories. Tenkaichi 2, Tenkaichi 3, Driver Parallel Lines, Scarface, Baroque(US version has the same release date, but it was PS2 first in Japan,) Dokapon Kingdom(PS2 released first in Japan,) and many I'm sure.
    Yeah, it's a shame that game companies thought we'd be fine with dumbed-down PS2 games with waggle. Many ports actually look worse than the PS2 versions. It's like every gaming company was looking on internet forums, saw how Wii fans were talking about how "graphics don't matter", and took the smart-ass approach to that viewpoint by making games look worse than they do on much weaker consoles. It's actually insulting to Wii owners.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    If I recall there were quite a few "shovelware"-level games in the past 2-3 years that were released on both the Wii and PS2 at the same time. My guess is that these wouldn't have even been bothered with had it only been the PS2. I'm talking Dora the Explorer: Dora's Big Birthday Adventure, Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest (which came out way after the Wii version), Scooby-Doo! and the Spooky Swamp, Despicable Me: The Game, Jurassic: The Hunted, Marvel Super Hero Squad, Secret Saturdays: Beasts of the 5th Sun and I can probably name a few others... Yes, some of these were released at the same time for Wii and PS2 but my argument is whether they were a PS2 port or a Wii port is that since they could release a last-gen game or last-gen version of a game on a current-gen platform (Wii) then they might as well release it on the PS2. Some of these PS2 games may not have existed if it wasn't because they had the validity of a Wii release to go along with it. If you notice, VERY few games in the PS2's catalog from 2009-2012 were not on the Wii as well.

So yes, even if these games were programmed first for PS2 and then ported over to Wii during development (yet both released on the same day), I'm arguing that the only reason these last-gen games were existing at all was because the Wii was very viable for new game releases at the time. These may have been afterthoughts if the Wii didn't exist or was as powerful as the 360/PS3. I really couldn't see all these companies going out of their way to release these to the PS2 only...
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's quite obvious that the PS2 is never going to get anything now days that isn't already going to be on another console. It's been what. Five, almost six years since the last of the next gen consoles have came out? But the PS2 still had a valued place in the marketplace back in 2008, over a year after the PS3 and Wii were released, which later the same games that were released in that time on the PS2 were then ported over to the Wii. What I'm getting at is even if these titles wouldn't release on the PS2 otherwise, they're multiconsole titles and not ports.

The Wii right now isn't like the PS2 was. It's still the current gen and there are almost no games coming out. At this same time in the consoles life, prior to the next console coming out and even after the next console came out, the PS2 was still receiving big budget titles. God of War isn't very good in my opinion, no idea why people like it so much, but God of War 2 was released in 2007. Although one thing I think is that God of War 2 should have had development pushed over to the PS3 instead. The PS3 had hardly anything worthwhile for quite awhile and God of War 2 could have been a system seller since the 360 didn't have much either.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.