Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many SNES games is there in total?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Tommittaja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How many SNES games is there in total?

so, i was watching ZetaPlays' videos on youtube and i saw that he had over 1700 snes games... some people claim that there are only 785 of them :P

i'm just really annoyed when i have only 771 of them and i don't want to miss any good games. :P (i play on emulators haha) just yesterday i came up with these ones: DoReMi adventure, Firemen, The adventures of batman & robin...

so how many are there actually?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tommittaja View Post
    so, i was watching ZetaPlays' videos on youtube and i saw that he had over 1700 snes games... some people claim that there are only 785 of them :P

i'm just really annoyed when i have only 771 of them and i don't want to miss any good games. :P (i play on emulators haha) just yesterday i came up with these ones: DoReMi adventure, Firemen, The adventures of batman & robin...

The US library is in the 700's. But when you factor in Super Famicom and SNES PAL games, there are easily well over 1,500.

Good choices regarding DoReMi and The Firemen -- excellent games, particularly DoReMi which I find to be one of the most charming 16-bit video games around

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

DP rarity guide only lists 729...unless I counted wrong

Outside of non US games, it's also possible the youtube guy is counting doubles.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wiki says 779 but as your aware thats open to debate as its wiki lol,really needs an expert to confirm.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ames_%28A-M%29

Insert Coin (Level 0) Tommittaja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it's not like USA is the only place that has games. so i should pretty much download all the japanese released games too? o_O and european? damn... okay, so it's not 700+ mm.. have to get busy on the matter... haha going to take forever to narrow down the games that i have and don't. :P

E: is everyone serious? nobody counts in the japanese and european games?? what the... i'm dissappointed
    Last edited by Tommittaja; 12-07-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jammajup View Post
    Wiki says 779 but as your aware thats open to debate as its wiki lol,really needs an expert to confirm.
    That's why you use wikipedia as a reference book and not as a reference itself. In otherwords, use it's references as your references. Which leads to this list from Nintendo...
    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gam...snes_games.pdf

E: is everyone serious? nobody counts in the japanese and european games?? what the... i'm dissappointed
    In Japan at least, those would be Super Famicom games...so they wouldn't be counted. I know...semantics, semantics
    Last edited by jb143; 12-07-2010 at 03:11 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0) MasterJSP's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mehizzo

According to byuu's web page about preservation, there are 720 US games, 1442 JP games, and 534 EU games.

http://byuu.org/preservation/

EDIT: I'm pretty sure, however, that the 720 US total doesn't include Super Noah's Ark 3D. And I know for sure that it doesn't include Player's Choice label variations and Majesco reprints.
    Last edited by MasterJSP; 12-07-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://byuu.org/preservation/list-usa

The list is outdated, I have all of the USA games now.

There are 717 officially released games in the USA. I also have two that were only released in Mexico: Super Copa and Chavez II.

The official Nintendo list is actually wrong in many areas. For instance, it does list Chavez II that was never released in the states, but it does not list Chavez I that was in fact released here. It also does not list Frogger. And it has a few titles that were never released anywhere.

Anyway, best number I have for North American cartridges is 719. I do not count the Donkey Kong or Starfox competition cartridges, because they weren't for sale. Super Noah's Ark 3D and the military Super Scope games were unlicensed, so they do not count. Super Game Boy, Game Genie and X-Band Modem have ROMs but were not technically games themselves, so they don't count on my list. Right now I don't count the Exertainment two-in-one game, because it wasn't sold alone, but it probably should be counted.

I do not count multiple revisions of the same game.

You have my guesses for Japan and Europe, but those numbers are definitely wrong. Japan has lots of special-case games like ones that were only available digitally via flash cartridges (Nintendo Power cartridges), the BS-X games that masquerade as real games, the BS-X ones that are clearly only available over satellite, the BS-X data packs for various games - Same Game's may be sold in stores, some are obviously only from the BS-X Satellaview service, the Sufami Turbo data packs ...

And then there's Europe, shit. Who knows what is up with that. Which games were released in which regions, which ones were identical in multiple regions and which weren't, and on and on.

The whole thing is a giant mess :P
    Last edited by byuu; 12-07-2010 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chavez II was released in the US and possibly some areas of Canada, at least in small quantities. The first copy of Chavez II I got was from a seller in Canada.

Really, I would group Super Copa and Chavez II in general North American releases anyways, as the packaging is the same. To exclude them based on some assumption that they didn't get sold in the US seems silly, because there is no way we can confirm this (unless somehow the ASC sales information becomes available).

<Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chavez II was definitely released in the US. I know at the least, it was a Blockbuster rental, and that was the only place I saw it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by byuu View Post
    Anyway, best number I have for North American cartridges is 719. I do not count the Donkey Kong or Starfox competition cartridges, because they weren't for sale. Super Noah's Ark 3D and the military Super Scope games were unlicensed, so they do not count. Super Game Boy, Game Genie and X-Band Modem have ROMs but were not technically games themselves, so they don't count on my list. Right now I don't count the Exertainment two-in-one game, because it wasn't sold alone, but it probably should be counted.
    720 is the number I stand by, that being the 719 byuu mentions plus MBR/SR.

Let's not get into the Super Copa debate. It's long, it's tedious and no one ever agrees.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So where can I find a copy of the most accurate list?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you all for the clarification on Chavez II. I apologize for my misinformation, my sources were obviously wrong.

Seems Super Copa is contentious here as well. Thankfully someone sent me the game for $40, there was no way in hell I would have paid the $150+ people ask for it on eBay.

Are there any other known non-USA-but-fit-USA-SNES commercial, licensed games out there? Something not on my list at all? It'd be nice to know I at least was able to collect at least one revision of every NTSC game.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

International Superstar Soccer is the other one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

12, I reckon.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Daze Before Christmas was only released in Germany for SNES.....and the Majority of Dragon Ball Z games were released in France (and Japan on super fami, obviously)...Some other Euro Exclusives off the top of my head: Turbo Toons, The Humans, Whirlo (also super fami), TinTin in Tibet, The Smurfs, The Smurfs travel the world, Micro Machines 2, Hungry Dinosaurs, Asterix, Asterix and Obelix, 90 minute european prime goal, Cannon Fodder, and a ton more....theres quite a few Euro Exclusives and some are specific to certain countries...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I live in the UK and I don't even try to sort out which other EU countries got which game. It would be a nightmare, as well as nearly impossible, to sort out.

I stick to games released purely in the UK. It's just much easier that way.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some other Euro Exclusives off the top of my head: Turbo Toons, The Humans, Whirlo (also super fami), TinTin in Tibet, The Smurfs, The Smurfs travel the world, Micro Machines 2, Hungry Dinosaurs, Asterix, Asterix and Obelix, 90 minute european prime goal, Cannon Fodder, and a ton more....theres quite a few Euro Exclusives and some are specific to certain countries...
    Check out Lucky Luke. For me, best game made by Infogrames for SNES.

And as I'm actually an European gamer, I can say that PAL exclusives aren't so interesting though. IMHO, there's no way to compare Asterix & Obelix with Kirby's Dream Land 3 or Magical Pop 'n.

PAL only release of English Terranigma just makes me angry because of ridiculous price of British and Australian versions of cartridges. Although I'm still learning German at school, it's freakin' hard to play Terranigma without using a dictionary. It kills for me the gameplay. English is so much easier to understand.
    Last edited by Dred; 12-10-2010 at 02:44 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Twin Paradox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Twin Paradox

Default Allow me to summarize . . .

Okay, so I am closing in on my last few US SNES games. I currently just bought my 716th game. I just wanted to get my numbers straight before I went any further. Hopefully you guys can help me. I apologize for the length, but I tried to organize it in a way that was easy to follow.

The DP rarity guide lists exactly 722 US snes games. There are 5 pages of 138 games and 1 page of 32 games. Therefore:

5*(138) + 32 = 722

However, there are two games that are on the list that I think should not be:
    1) Super Bomberman Party Pack
    2) Extertainment Mountain Bike Rally / Speed Racer.

As far as I can tell from my research, the only difference between the Super Bomberman Party Pack and Super Bomberman is the inclusion of the Multi-tap and a larger box. Since I am just collecting loose carts, I feel justified in leaving that game out.

As far as EMBR/SR is concerned, it never saw an actual retail release. I have even read reports that the company that develeped the game had trouble confirming that it even existed, let alone that it was sold. Needless to say I am not counting this cart either.

So, this brings our total down to exactly 720. I DO count both the Donkey Kong and Starfox Competition Carts as part of the list, because they were official sold through Nintendo Power, as well as, some Blockbuster locations that hosted the competition.

The problem with this number, though, is that it is missing the following 3 games:

1) Super Copa
    2) International Super Star Soccer
    3) International Super Star Soccer Deluxe

If these games did see an actual US release (based on the printing on the back of the box art, it seems they did) that would bring the total to 723.

I know this topic has been debated and I understand that it can be a bit contentious. I just kind of wanted to see if my estimate makes sense and if anyone agrees with it.

Finally, just in case anyone cares, the reason that I didn't mention Super Noah's Ark 3D is because I already own it. If you don't consider it to be part of the US SNES library, then that would bring the total down to 722.
    Last edited by Twin Paradox; 02-19-2011 at 03:24 PM.
    It's official, my snes cart only collection is complete! The collection includes both competition carts, ISS, ISSD, EMBR/SR and Super Noah's Ark 3D.

Please check out my video game cover music.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

VEGETA: It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAND!

NAPPA: What, nine thousand?!