Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never had one before fail.
    Last edited by kai123; 06-02-2021 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Had to fix something
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    I have a Castlevania cart for the NES that has bit rot. The character falls right through the floor and dies even in the attract scene when you just let it play it self. No amount of cleaning fixed it so that is what I assumed it was.
    Dude, make a video of this and post it to youtube, then drop us a link. I want to see this "bit rot" in action.

I've never heard of this before. While I'd hate for any of my carts to have bit rot occur to them unintentionally, I wouldn't mind purposely causing it to happen to a duplicate cart or two (I'm looking at you, Mario/Duck Hunts!). I really dig video games flipping out as their universe collapses in on itself like when certain Game Genie codes are entered. Cory Arcangel created a movie with Paper Rad about this kind of deterioration of the world of a video game as it ages. I am certain I've posted it on DP before, but screw it...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    I have a Castlevania cart for the NES that has bit rot. The character falls right through the floor and dies even in the attract scene when you just let it play it self. No amount of cleaning fixed it so that is what I assumed it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Dude, make a video of this and post it to youtube, then drop us a link. I want to see this "bit rot" in action.
    X2. Not that I would definitely consider it bit-rot, but I would love to see this.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Wow! Thank you all so much for your input. I figured that many of you would have seen this in 80's and early 90's music CD's but I'm actually relieved to hear at least a few here have had it happen with CD-based games as well. I've seem close-ups of discs with that pinhole effect and many customers have told me about their CD's suddenly stop working but I have never had a disc "go bad" like this for me.

As for EPROMs, I do consider that a form of bit rot but as stated above, it's true that EPROM manufacturers never guaranteed they'd last longer than 10 years and yes, simply re-writing over them will refresh the data within.

And I'd completely forgotten about laserdiscs. Not sure if I'll be able to squeeze that into a 20-second bit rot blurb but thanks for the reminder!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Well, it was way, way, way more evident in LaserDiscs because they didn't make many compared to CDs, so when they manufactured them badly, it affected a lot of discs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bought a sealed copy of Windows 98 Second Edition last year and the disc has a dark spot on the data side, it installs and works correctly so I imagine it must be language packs and other useless optional crap on the far edge of the disc.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shulamana View Post
    Bought a sealed copy of Windows 98 Second Edition last year and the disc has a dark spot on the data side, it installs and works correctly so I imagine it must be language packs and other useless optional crap on the far edge of the disc.
    I've had a few discs like that, it seems the top coat seal isn't that good and the reflective layer is oxidising. If it gets bad enough it won't be readable. I've seen this happen on water damaged discs too.

Now I have to check the laserdiscs I have, I don't have a player but I've picked up a few discs somewhat recently. I'm hoping they're all right.