Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy replacement game labels for NES Games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Would you buy replacement game labels for NES Games?

Voided
    Last edited by Starwander; 09-27-2007 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find the idea of this to be antithetical to game collecting. I would not want to pay an inflated price for a game with a reproduction label...and would consider it to be a fraud. I would, however, think that having a label that designated said label as a reproduction as being okay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starwander View Post
    I have been considering the idea of making and selling replacement game labels for NES games for some time and have finally started down the road to do it. I was wondering as a whole what the collecting community thinks about such an idea. Basically the replacement labels would be identical to the original labels on the games themselves. They would be of the same quality as well, as they would be indistinguishable to the originals. All you would have to do is simply remove the old label and stick on the new one and basically you have a new, minty looking game. I was thinking of charging about $1.50-$2.00 for a replacement label. Overall I like the idea of being able to take those old games with damaged labels and being able to restore them to new condition, though I wanted to know what other people thought about the idea and if this is something you might buy. I would only be starting with NES, but could do other games down the road if it working out.
    it's a good idea, reprolabels.com does reproduction labels for transformer toys...

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keep in mind that if video game collecting ever goes mainstream (which I believe it will within 5-10 years) and third party grading companies enter the picture, using any type of replacement label, etc. will be considered a form of restoration!

A lot of comic book collectors found this out the hard way when CGC (Comics Guaranty Corp.) entered the picture back in 2000 and started grading comic books. Everyone laughed when they started to encapsulate comic books in plastic. I however can tell you I was happy when I sold my comic book collection for $50,000 because the value of near mint unrestored CGC comics went through the roof. Restoration kills value. So if you are a collector of anything, you do it at your own risk.

I know that some of you reading this are laughing and thinking that the idea of grading video games is stupid, but a lot of collectors said that about toys, action figures (both loose and carded), sports cards, comic books, and coins.

This is just a word of caution. By all means if you just want the game for your own use pursue it.

The more I look at CD games, the more experience I have in seeing whether or not they were "buffed" or "resurfaced". The ones that were, I tend to look at like a red headed step child. I hate to say that, but to me it has to be MINT and NATURAL.

Just my opinion...keep that in mind!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I would be interested in this, and not just for NES games. I'm a gamer-collector, meaning I collect to play, not just for collecting itself, so replica labels doesn't bother me. That said, perhaps you should consider putting a small "watermark" that IDs your labels as replicas so hardcore collectors will be accepting.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

There's already replacement shells for console systems. Why not go a step further? I'd like replacement labels if they were marked as such. You should see the condition of a Tecmo Super Bowl I sold recently...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Replacement labels would be nice ... however, being able to completely and totally cleanly remove an official label from an NES cartridge is quite the task.

If you're going to make replacement labels, you should come up with a guaranteed technique and product (something like goo-gone, which is pretty hit-or miss if you ask me) to get the cartridge casing down to the smooth gray plastic (no sticker glue residue/label chunklets) ... or else a replacement label will be practically useless.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Kentuckyfried Process:

Lighter fluid is the key to removing stickers from plastic, you can thank me when you discover the brilliance for yourself

Insert Coin (Level 0) cheshire191's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not to through a wrench in, but how would you get the licensing to repo the label??
    ..:: If Linux isn't the solution ... you have the wrong problem ::..

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I say only make them for R10 games.

Kidding, just stirring trouble here.

But seriously, I do think that a repro label does reduce value. To make them indistinguishable would be tough. Ask any pirater out there. However, if you did indeed make them indistinguishable, I'm scared for collectors in a way. At the same time, I feel for the people with messed up labels. My thoughts? Only make them for commons...no wait, that kind of defeats the purpose, since they can always buy another common, and who wants to restore a common? I dunno, mixed feelings, I guess. It seems folks would only wanna do this for rare games with messed up labels.

However, if you made the labels more like collectors cards instead, those would be a very cool collectible if you wrote some data about the game on back and maybe put DP ratings on them (with DP permission, of course).

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's an amazing Idea. I've always wished someone (like Nintendo) would offer new boxes, and manuals for every Nes games made. I think they would sell pretty good.

I agree, they would have to be perfect reproductions of the originals.
    Last edited by Nescollector; 09-24-2007 at 05:03 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do like the idea. However like others have said the quality of the label needs to be REALLY good and there should be some kind of symbol in a corner of the labels front artwork so a repro label could easily be spotted in auction pictures and what not.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Little Samson's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by savageone View Post
    I do like the idea. However like others have said the quality of the label needs to be REALLY good and there should be some kind of symbol in a corner of the labels front artwork so a repro label could easily be spotted in auction pictures and what not.
    I agree 100%.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Anything to keep the values of games low I'm all for, but honestly? I think it would be fun to make NEW labels for classic games, as we all know alot of games had questionalbe box art (yeah megaman..i'm fucking looking at you..what the hell?) just think of all the creative ideas people could come up with for replacement labels? everything from just resizing the japanese art to coming up with totally new ideas. That i'd lay some cash down for, team that up with the clear tinted game cases another site is selling, would add some fun back to the hobby for those of us who have everything we want.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt you could find a way to make them to the point where you could not tell the difference between originals and fakes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    Anything to keep the values of games low I'm all for, but honestly? I think it would be fun to make NEW labels for classic games, as we all know alot of games had questionalbe box art (yeah megaman..i'm fucking looking at you..what the hell?) just think of all the creative ideas people could come up with for replacement labels? everything from just resizing the japanese art to coming up with totally new ideas. That i'd lay some cash down for, team that up with the clear tinted game cases another site is selling, would add some fun back to the hobby for those of us who have everything we want.
    This is a great idea, too! This is the kind of thing they like over at www.thecoverproject.net (custom covers, etc.).

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You defanatly need to mark them in a way so you can tell it's not the original label

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyfried View Post
    The Kentuckyfried Process:

Lighter fluid is the key to removing stickers from plastic, you can thank me when you discover the brilliance for yourself
    Been doing that for years. I actually learned this technique from removing shelf labels at Rite Aid (one of my first retail jobs)...hah!

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    perhaps you should consider putting a small "watermark" that IDs your labels as replicas so hardcore collectors will be accepting.
    Agreed. Don't be "one of those guys."
    There has to be something on the cart that identifies it as a repro. That being said, make sure it's something someone who isn't really into collecting wouldn't notice. Fibbing to a friend should be possible. "I have one of those mint. Follow me, I'll show you."

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can you do SNES Labels, I have some with Bad or No Labels