PDA

View Full Version : 40GB PS3 not to have Backwards Compatibility?

sabre2922
09-24-2007, 11:37 AM
A new report says that Sony has turned to PS2 manufacturer FoxConn to produce the long-rumored entry-level 40GB PlayStation 3.

" According to Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/xml/article/tech/0,,91221-10259,00.html), an electronic manufacturing news source said that Sony will employ the Taiwanese firm FoxConn, which currently produces PlayStation 2s, to manufacturer the 40GB PS3.
The report suggests that an announcement regarding the long rumored (http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7110&Itemid=59) 40GB PS3 could be made this week in order to combat Microsoft’s Halo 3 juggernaut, a possibility also touted (http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7167&Itemid=2) by industry analyst Michael Pachter earlier this month.

The report also speculates that the console will retail for $399 and will ship without the USB ports or BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY included in the more expensive 60GB and 80GB models."

-------------------------------------------

OK I call this:bullshit:

WHY the hell would Sony have to cut the BC out if its just emulated by software in the new PS3s ANYWAY?

roushimsx
09-24-2007, 11:56 AM
The report also speculates that the console will retail for $399 and will ship without the USB ports or BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY included in the more expensive 60GB and 80GB models."

-------------------------------------------

OK I call this:bullshit:

WHY the hell would Sony have to cut the BC out if its just emulated by software in the new PS3s ANYWAY?

Without USB? How are you supposed to charge your controller?
No BC? Why would they cut something out that's part of their firmware and already being supported on another model via just software?

I'm calling shenanigans.

Darren870
09-24-2007, 11:57 AM
When is the 20gb model coming out? or the 100gb model?

or better yet the 0gb model?

sabre2922
09-24-2007, 12:07 PM
When is the 20gb model coming out? or the 100gb model?
or better yet the 0gb model?

heh im sure they will announce the 20GB model right before Xmas then Sony will announce the 0GB model that is not compatible with PS2 or PS3 games but hey it DOES PLAY PRETTY BLUE RAY MOVIES:love:

Oobgarm
09-24-2007, 12:39 PM
0gb model?

fuckin sign me up right now

heybtbm
09-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Without USB? How are you supposed to charge your controller?
No BC? Why would they cut something out that's part of their firmware and already being supported on another model via just software?

I'm calling shenanigans.

I agree. It's just another industry vs. media miscommunication. Backwards compatability is a firmware issue. It cost Sony $0 to include it at this point. They're probably just confusing the "lack of BC" with the lack of the Emotion Engine.

gum_drops
09-24-2007, 04:15 PM
I agree. It's just another industry vs. media miscommunication. Backwards compatability is a firmware issue. It cost Sony $0 to include it at this point. They're probably just confusing the "lack of BC" with the lack of the Emotion Engine.

That was my thinking also. What about the WiFi and HDMI, are those going to be included in the console?

A 40gb playstation at $399 will at least give sony a chance this fall. I wonder how it would do with a bundled game. Something like Tony Hawks Project 8. It was a launch title last fall and is a solid game. Even Need for Speed Carbon or Ridge Racer 7 would work. The 360 pro is already $50 cheaper at 350.00, a bundled title would help compete with it.

Then again during the holidays, would parents be less likely to buy an extra game if the system already has one, I am not sure.

jajaja
09-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Shipping a PS3 model without the USB ports would be impossible indeed, because as said above, it wouldnt be possible to recharge ur controller through the PS3 then. BC would still be possible through software emulation so it doesnt cost anything more to include that.

MegaDrive20XX
09-24-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm calling shenanigans.

Hey Farva, whats that place you like with all the goofy shit on the walls and the waiters wear those funny hats?

roushimsx
09-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Hey Farva, whats that place you like with all the goofy shit on the walls and the waiters wear those funny hats?

You mean "Shenanigans"?

MarioMania
09-25-2007, 03:12 AM
Shipping a PS3 model without the USB ports would be impossible indeed, because as said above, it wouldnt be possible to recharge ur controller through the PS3 then. BC would still be possible through software emulation so it doesnt cost anything more to include that.

They could add a Controller Port

-_-Nintendo-_-
09-25-2007, 03:15 AM
Wait so how many versions of the PS3 would be out then?

Icarus Moonsight
09-25-2007, 04:04 AM
Wait so how many versions of the PS3 would be out then?

Too many. *rimshot*

jajaja
09-25-2007, 06:51 AM

True, but i cant imagine this beeing any cheaper than putting atleast 1 USB port in there. And i dont think any PS3 controllers are corded, all are wireless, so if they should add a controller port they must also release a corded controller for it. Dunno if its cheaper to produce a wireless PS3 controller or a corded PS3 controller.

jajaja
09-25-2007, 06:52 AM

True, but i cant imagine this beeing any cheaper than putting atleast 1 USB port in there. And i dont think any PS3 controllers are corded, all are wireless, so if they should add a controller port they must also release a corded controller for it. Dunno if its cheaper to produce a wireless PS3 controller than a corded PS3 controller. I would guess a corded one, but i doubt Sony will make those for PS3.

Oobgarm
09-25-2007, 07:20 AM
True, but i cant imagine this beeing any cheaper than putting atleast 1 USB port in there. And i dont think any PS3 controllers are corded, all are wireless, so if they should add a controller port they must also release a corded controller for it. Dunno if its cheaper to produce a wireless PS3 controller than a corded PS3 controller. I would guess a corded one, but i doubt Sony will make those for PS3.

PS3 controllers require a port of some sort to charge, so they could just use a controller port to do to by including a new cable that would plug into it. No need for a corded controller, as it would kinda defeat some of the SIXAXIS motion.

jajaja
09-25-2007, 10:09 AM
PS3 controllers require a port of some sort to charge, so they could just use a controller port to do to by including a new cable that would plug into it. No need for a corded controller, as it would kinda defeat some of the SIXAXIS motion.

Thats true, but still, i cant imagine that this solution would be significantly cheaper, or even cheaper at all, than putting a USB port in there instead. USB is a wide standard, its being produced in a very high quantity so it must be cheap.

mailman187666
09-25-2007, 11:02 AM
could you still charge a PS3 controller by hooking it up to a computer USB port while the computer is turned on?

Flack
09-25-2007, 11:51 AM
could you still charge a PS3 controller by hooking it up to a computer USB port while the computer is turned on?

Sure. In fact, I charge my PS3 controllers on my Wii.

jajaja
09-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Yep, i think every USB port should work. But they cant sell the PS3 without being able to charge the controller through the PS3. Well.. they can, but it would not be a smart move. If they do, i'll be very, very suprised.

G-Boobie
09-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Does anyone want to take bets on this being the last console generation with multiple SKUs?

PapaStu
09-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Does anyone want to take bets on this being the last console generation with multiple SKUs?

No way in hell. Mutiple SKU's are always going to happen, Any time there is a system color change (which is pretty common among Nintendo Stuff) there is a different SKU. Anytime there are any hardware revisions there is a new SKU, even if the system stays/looks the same. Anytime they bundle the system with a game, there is a different SKU.

Bassgrabber
09-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Current wireless PS3 controller uses cable to USB port initially to set it up for use. This is so it is recognized by 'that' PS3. After it's set up push the PS button in the center of the controller to turn it on for use with the PS3 it's been "assigned" to. It could change, but why? More R&D cost, plus cost to change production line and materials used.

Controller can be charged thru any (powered) USB port if you have the appropriate cable. PC, Wii, PSP, even some camera cables work, so whatever. There are also separate recharge units available for various devices now.

Software updates can be made via USB port or online connection. One or the other will be needed.

The PS3 uses bluetooth devices (headsets, controllers, keyboards, etc) via WiFi. Do you really think it will go anywhere?

I've been told that the hard drive is easily changeable with many notebook HD's. I'm looking for a larger PC HD and have noticed prices dropping.

Last console gen with multiple SKU's? Not unless they get it right the first time. "It" being what the public wants and is willing to pay for, as well as whatever (and I mean whatever, anyone can have one) hardware/software issues that might show their ugly heads after launch.

The PS3 is still "new". It needs a bigger and better library, but not another flamewar ;-)

Cinder6
09-25-2007, 05:39 PM
The PS3 uses bluetooth devices (headsets, controllers, keyboards, etc) via WiFi. Do you really think it will go anywhere?

Just to clarify here, Bluetooth != WiFi. They are different technologies, though they can accomplish some of the same things (just in different ways). They could conceivably take out WiFi and leave in Bluetooth (actually, they did this with the discontinued 20GB model), or vice versa.

MegaDrive20XX
09-25-2007, 06:38 PM
You mean "Shenanigans"?

Whoooa!! *hands the chief his pistol*

Okay back on topic. What is Sony trying to do? This is the most retarded thing since the 80GB with no BC.

jajaja
09-25-2007, 07:42 PM
What is Sony trying to do?

To get the price down :P Not all care about BC, and by removing the Emotion Engine chip, its cheaper to produce, which in this case means cheaper retail price. BC is still possible through software emulation tho, and its not a huge difference between a PS3 with and without the EE chip. Fewer games is compatible indeed, but more are being added :)

MegaDrive20XX
09-25-2007, 10:17 PM
To get the price down :P Not all care about BC, and by removing the Emotion Engine chip, its cheaper to produce, which in this case means cheaper retail price. BC is still possible through software emulation tho, and its not a huge difference between a PS3 with and without the EE chip. Fewer games is compatible indeed, but more are being added :)

That's obvious, but one point I've started to realize over the few years. Is alot of consumers do not care about BC at all. Yes, it can be easily fixed. Yet to just rip it out to cut down production cost is hypocritical when the 80GB almost has similar issues I've heard. Yet why remove the USB ports in the 40GB? I just got to see how you have to charge your controller now.