PDA

View Full Version : Gamecube component video owners..question!

Gamereviewgod
04-11-2003, 07:24 PM
Ok, I finally broke down and bought the component cable for my 'Cube from Nintendo directly. After hooking it all up and hitting power, I really didn't notice a difference. Now, when I hooked up My X-Box and PS2 component it was nearly a holy moment. But the "Cube...well, it sucked. I even popped in Zelda and Home Run King, games that support progressive scan, but still....eh. Pop in Burnout on the 'Box and holy sh*t! Zelda on the 'Cube....eh. Anyone else feel the same???

CrazyImpmon
04-11-2003, 07:35 PM
Did you hold the button B while powering up GC? It should pop up an option menu for using progressive scan.

Gamereviewgod
04-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Ah ha! That must be it. Thank you Nintendo for charging $30 for a cable and not including even a small piece of paper mentioning that fact.....

Anonymous
04-12-2003, 02:02 AM
No Prob.

cheesystick
04-12-2003, 04:48 AM
Someone wanna explain what this cable thing is for all the idiots like me?
-crispy

Sylentwulf
04-12-2003, 01:05 PM
Wow, I can't believe Nintendo didn't include something saying that. Especially at that price, damn nintendo.

Does the PS2 have a similar option that needs to be set? Cuz I was never wowed by switching to component cables (47" HDTV before you ask)

wberdan
04-12-2003, 02:46 PM
Wow, I can't believe Nintendo didn't include something saying that. Especially at that price, damn nintendo.

Does the PS2 have a similar option that needs to be set? Cuz I was never wowed by switching to component cables (47" HDTV before you ask)

no, i dont think the PS2 outputs a progressive image.
someone told me that the PS2 will output an almost high res image (something like 1024x768), but i have never seen actual proof of this.

willie

Sylentwulf
04-12-2003, 03:32 PM
That's what I thought, too bad really.... Not that most PS2 games have good enough graphics for it, but there are some (FMV's and FFX)

Mayhem
04-12-2003, 05:03 PM

They do... indirectly. The instructions for booting in prog scan are at the back of every single GAME manual that supports it...

CrazyImpmon
04-12-2003, 06:49 PM

They do... indirectly. The instructions for booting in prog scan are at the back of every single GAME manual that supports it...

That's the problem. people expect the game manual to cover games, and not a how to on using compoment cable or enabling progressive scan.

Why is it hard for Nintendo to include one lousy line, even on the package itself explaining how to enable progressive scan? It can't possibly cost half a penny for the extra ink.

wberdan
04-12-2003, 08:34 PM
That's what I thought, too bad really.... Not that most PS2 games have good enough graphics for it, but there are some (FMV's and FFX)

but- the progressive scan or higher resolution would reduce the diagonal "jaggies" (jaged lines) and make the games somewhat more realistic and smoother in appearance..

willie

Mayhem
04-13-2003, 06:07 AM
Why is it hard for Nintendo to include one lousy line, even on the package itself explaining how to enable progressive scan? It can't possibly cost half a penny for the extra ink.

Probably to cover themselves from stupid people who would try to boot EVERY GC game they had into prog scan, finding they couldn't and then complaining about why it wasn't working for some games :roll:

Slate
08-07-2006, 11:41 AM
With a nice long bump, Is the GC component cable worth what it costs these days?

Mayhem
08-07-2006, 01:54 PM
I'll let you know when (or if, long story) my 37" LCD I just ordered turns up heh...

Even on a non-progressive picture usage, you'll notice it if you've only being using RF or composite before. As QoF said at the time of getting her new component equipped TV (on my recommendation): "HOLY CRAP!" LOL

Blanka789
08-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Anyway to get one of these working with the Super Nintendo? I know the cable will fit, but am i just gonna have to use RGB instead?

NintenDk
08-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Ok, I finally broke down and bought the component cable for my 'Cube from Nintendo directly. After hooking it all up and hitting power, I really didn't notice a difference. Now, when I hooked up My X-Box and PS2 component it was nearly a holy moment. But the "Cube...well, it sucked. I even popped in Zelda and Home Run King, games that support progressive scan, but still....eh. Pop in Burnout on the 'Box and holy sh*t! Zelda on the 'Cube....eh. Anyone else feel the same???
With a nice long bump, Is the GC component cable worth what it costs these days?

ALL GAMECUBE GAMES WORK WITH THE COMPONENT CABLE

All gamecube games that don't do 480p HD will do 480i HD signal. So that scenario is almost a non-issue Mayhem as 480i HD is enabled in place of 480p HD. You don't need a standard composite cable plugged in at all and should not have one plugged in at the same time if you are running a component cable since the component is all you need. Try it, In fact you can play GBA games in 480i over just the component cable :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :popcorn: :-P :) :lovin: :pimp: :-D

Mayhem
08-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Oh you'll still need the composite cable if you're running component on a Cube... otherwise you'll get no sound ;)

My point was that if you've only been using composite before, switching to component regardless of engaging prog scan on a game will be a major step up picture quality wise.

NintenDk
08-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Oh you'll still need the composite cable if you're running component on a Cube... otherwise you'll get no sound ;)

My point was that if you've only been using composite before, switching to component regardless of engaging prog scan on a game will be a major step up picture quality wise.

yeah I got that out of order ROFL I just wanted people to try it out to see that the cube will give you a great picture with just the component cable ONLY so there really is no misconception that all cube games won't run over component, everything else he says is right too!

GrandAmChandler
08-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Moving this to Modern Gaming!

RARusk
08-07-2006, 10:59 PM
I have two Component Video cables. One RGB modified (http://nfggames.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:gamecube_rgb) and one unmodified. I have the best of both worlds even though I do not have a Component Video monitor.

Jasoco
08-10-2006, 03:46 AM
Can someone do me a flavor. I'm curious to see the difference between GameCube Component and S-Video/Composite.

Can someone snap some shots of both for me? With Composite/S-Video on a normal SDTV and Component on a 480 capable TV. HD if possible. Actually yeah, I wanna see what I'm gonna see on my HDTV when the Wii comes out. So yeah, take pictures of Component on a HDTV.

I ask because well, I can't get a Component cable right now. eBay's expensive. I'll wait for the Wii.

Preferably Zelda: Wind Waker and Paper Mario: TTYD. (In game, not the title screen.) Oh, and if possible, Beyond Good and Evil. Oh, and Mario Sunshine! ... and Pikmin 2... that's all. I promise. But at least Zelda.

heyricochet
08-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Anyway to get one of these working with the Super Nintendo? I know the cable will fit, but am i just gonna have to use RGB instead?

Before your question gets lost, no it won't work, its a different plug. If you have an older model GC look at the back, there should be two large plugs, one that you use and one that says Digital-out. Thats the component plug.

Slate
09-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Time to bump this topic back up.

jonjandran
09-23-2006, 11:04 PM

Why?

Slate
09-23-2006, 11:25 PM

Why?

Because i want people's opinions on the gamecube component cable and i want to know if they thought it was worth the price.

smork
09-23-2006, 11:29 PM

Why?

Because i want people's opinions on the gamecube component cable and i want to know if they thought it was worth the price.

It was for the $15 I paid for mine. Nice at $50, even, methinks. Depends on how you view your games and how picky you are, right?

Anthony1
09-24-2006, 12:28 AM
With the Wii so close, might as well wait for the Wii to come out and see if there are component cables available day one. The same cable might also work on the Cube.

Or, if you are getting a Wii anyways, then just play your Cube games on the Wii, and use the new Wii component cable.

Nez
09-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Havent we done this enough? %th time posting this I payed $80 and they were still worth every penny.

s1lence
09-24-2006, 01:53 AM
I seriously didnt know that, I'll have to try that on zelda.

LucidDefender
09-24-2006, 08:30 AM
With the Wii so close, might as well wait for the Wii to come out and see if there are component cables available day one. The same cable might also work on the Cube.

Or, if you are getting a Wii anyways, then just play your Cube games on the Wii, and use the new Wii component cable.

The ports are different; I've looked at my Cube component cable and the Wii's AV-out port.

jonjandran
09-24-2006, 08:49 AM

Why?

Oh .... Well I paid around $60 for mine and it was well worth the price.

Of course I play on a 60" HD Sony TV and it really made a noticeable difference. Less jaggies and much better colors and focus.

Nez
09-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Havent we done this enough? 5th time posting this I payed $80 and they were still worth every penny.