PDA

View Full Version : Ps3 1 year report card

gepeto
10-16-2007, 08:23 PM
What are your thoughts for year 1. I will tell you mine. It will be going back in the box this weekend. I have had it for almost a year and I can't see any must haves anytime soon. I am thinking I am better off putting it away until releases pick up.

I knew the games would be slow but this is worse than the N64 / ti994a. I have burned a hole in the resistance disc. When is the must have hot stuff coming out? I am excited for the msg4 and ff 13 but I am getting really dismayed.

grade from me F

zektor
10-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Look at the PSP. It took some time, but now there are a slew of great must have titles for the unit. So many, that I am considering the PSP again :)

gepeto
10-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Look at the PSP. It took some time, but now there are a slew of great must have titles for the unit. So many, that I am considering the PSP again :)

Yeah I love my psp but I never thought the well would be this dry for the ps3. I am so ready for a hot release. I was talking to some guys and they were like all like the majority of hot games are slated for 2008.

Was the system release too early. When the ps2 came out Madden was highly polished and the games were alright then there was a steady stream and maybe some are not so hot but still a stream.

Where is the 3rd party support?

esquire
10-16-2007, 10:34 PM
What are your thoughts for year 1. I will tell you mine. It will be going back in the box this weekend. I have had it for almost a year and I can't see any must haves anytime soon. I am thinking I am better off putting it away until releases pick up.

I knew the games would be slow but this is worse than the N64 / ti994a. I have burned a hole in the resistance disc. When is the must have hot stuff coming out? I am excited for the msg4 and ff 13 but I am getting really dismayed.

grade from me F

Please tell me this is not another typical Sony/PS3 bash post. I did not see you putting a lot of thought and effort into your review/grade which leads me to believe so. Anyways, for a more serious grade/review....

Current Must Haves:
Folklore
WarHawk
Heavenly Sword
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Oblivion
Motorstorm
Virtua Fighter 5
Resistance: Fall of Man

Near Future Must Haves:
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (10/26)
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (10/30)
Assassin's Creed (11/13)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (11/20)
Time Crisis 4 (11/20)
Kane & Lynch (11/20)
Rock Band (11/23)
Orange Box (12/11)

(Yeah, you're right. Nothing good on the horizon there.)

Thoughts on the console itself:
Let's see, built in WiFi (MS charges you an extra $100) and free online play (yes XBOX Live is better but they had a head start, and they charge you for it).

$100 price drop put the 60GB competive with the 360 Elite.

Near 100% backwards compatibility with the PS2 library (with the obvious caveat for the upcoming 40GB) means you can sell your PS2.

Love the Blue-ray player. I like it better than the HD-DVD player for the 360. I am buying most of movies now in Blu-ray, save for TV Show compilations.

Biggest Disappointments:
LAIR!!! Why oh why no optional Dual Analog Support???
The delays and wait for Lair and Heavenly Sword
The 20 GB version

Some people will say the lack of rumble in the controllers and the tacked on Sixxaxis controls as well, but these don't bother me, unless of course we are talking about Lair.

I would give it a B-/C+

Yes there is a lack of games for it, but you may recall the 360 was the same way. In fact, the launch games were nearly identical (quantity, quality). The 360 library didn't pick up with consistent releases until mid to late Summer '06 (Prey; Dead Rising) and into the fall (Gears of War). Check any release chart, and you'll see that is about to change.

gepeto
10-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Please tell me this is not another typical Sony/PS3 bash post. I did not see you putting a lot of thought and effort into your review/grade which leads me to believe so. Anyways, for a more serious grade/review....

Current Must Haves:
Folklore
WarHawk
Heavenly Sword
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Oblivion
Motorstorm
Virtua Fighter 5

Near Future Must Haves:
Assassin's Creed (11/13)
Time Crisis 4 (11/20)
Kane & Lynch (11/20)
Rock Band (11/23)
Orange Box (12/11)

Thoughts on the console itself:
Let's see, built in WiFi (MS charges you an extra $100) and free online play (yes XBOX Live is better but they had a head start, and they charge you for it).

$100 price drop put the 60GB competive with the 360 Elite.

Near 100% backwards compatibility with the PS2 library (with the obvious caveat for the upcoming 40GB) means you can sell your PS2.

Love the Blue-ray player. I like it better than the HD-DVD player for the 360. I am buying most of movies now in Blu-ray, save for TV Show compilations.

Biggest Disappointments:
LAIR!!! Why oh why no optional Dual Analog Support???
The delays and wait for Lair and Heavenly Sword
The 20 GB version

Some people will say the lack of rumble in the controllers and the tacked on Sixxaxis controls as well, but these don't bother me, unless of course we are talking about Lair.

I would give it a B-/C+

Yes there is a lack of games for it, but you may recall the 360 was the same way. In fact, the launch games were nearly identical (quantity, quality). The 360 library didn't pick up with consistent releases until mid to late Summer '06 (Prey; Dead Rising) and into the fall (Gears of War). Check any release chart, and you'll see that is about to change.

Nah not a bash but more like venting. I know there is not alot of info in how I came to my decision but it was just based on games availible and my view. Me and stone protector 101 were talking and he made a good point about the ps3 releases that are already out on other platforms. There just seems to be a slow delay on titles and the exclusives just seem get pushed back.

So what are we to do wait until metal gear comes out. Then how long until the next one. Or better yet when will there be a 3 must have title release in a 2 month span for the ps3. Which leads me to think I should just pack the system away until the hits start coming.

The delays put people that own both into a weird spot. I don't know about you but i get a weird feeling when I see Fight night and oblivion come out for the ps3 at full price the it has been released for the 360 a good while ago.

mnbren05
10-16-2007, 11:19 PM
As from what I've experienced with my brothers, I would say it has some definite positives/negatives.

Positives:
Quiet
No defects yet (in our PS3)
A few great games
Nice controller

Negatives:
No die hard must have titles yet
System looks
Price of product(s)

Overall report card for PS3 = C+ 84/100 It is a pretty good system that will only get better once the top notch titles roll out.

gum_drops
10-17-2007, 12:03 AM
I have had it for almost a year and I can't see any must haves anytime soon.

I suggest taking it back out for ratchet and Clank in a few weeks. It received a 9.3 from PSM3 UK (a print magazine). Its tied for the highest rated game they have given a ps3 title yet with oblivion. Give the demo a try at least, its on psn.

But besides that I cant think of any must haves coming out this holiday. They would of had UT3 as a timed exclusive but that fell apart. Uncharted looks interesting, and many ps3 owners are hyped up about it but it cant be called a must have at this point.

I wouldn't be as harsh as an F, I have retired that grade in honor of the CD-i

System: B
Durable, built-in wifi and blue ray, free access to the playstation network. I would of given it an A but for the price.

Games: C
Lacks the library quality of the 360 at this point, yea I know the year head start helps. Not much in the way of exclusives so far. Lair flopping sure didn't help. Couple that with inferior ports of some games like F.E.A.R.

Outlook: B
The price drop and release of MGS and FF games next year will improve the overall depth of the install base and library. But with a loss of past exclusives like GTA and Devil May Cry I am not sure if the PS3 can pull itself out of 3rd.

gepeto
10-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Good point^^^ about the ratchet game I totally forgot that about that one. You know whats funny I can't recall the last time I seen a ps3 commercial. I remember anthony 1 ratchet post more. I remember the last ratchet games had some crazy commercials. I did not know it was so close to release.

I see the wii want to play commercials all the time.

Quick question
with all the features the ps3 has do any of you utilize them? Like I have never used any of the memory ports.

swlovinist
10-17-2007, 12:38 AM
I do plan on getting a PS3 after I get a PSP. I dont have one, but my brother in law does. He is enjoying Warhawk, and it is his only system. Here are the reasons I dont have one yet:

1. Price
2. Lack of Rumble in the controller
3. Must have games
4. I have a 360 already as well as a PS2

I know that I am like many on this forum that already own a Wii and 360. This makes it harder to pick up a PS3 for the "exclusives". The two big ones for me are Resistance and Warhawk. It is going to have to be alot more than a couple of exclusives for me to jump on the PS3 wagon for at least 400 dollars.

I dont have a problem with the PS3, I have a problem with the PS3 fitting into a must have buy at 500 dollars. Sony needs to wake up and smell the coffee that they do not know shit about their fan base. The PS2 is one of my very favorite modern systems of all time. It is sad to see Sony where they are right now. If Sony had a clue, they would be in first right now, but instead of going after the PS2 fanbase(value), they decided to go after the tech fanbase(Xbox). So far, the Wii is laughing all the way to the bank as Microsoft nurses its 1.1 billion hardware blunder and Sony is going to see how many millions of dollars it can shed before calling uncle. It is over for Sony? No, but they better do something drastic this holiday or they are going to get their ass handed to them by both competitors. As far as I see it, the PS3 is a far third place this holiday for software and reason to buy one.

As far as Assains Creed being a good game, I hear early rumblings that the game is not as hot as some would want. Top this with the HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT Lair was(I am a huge fan of Factor 5), things could be going alot, alot better for Sony

It all comes down to games. If you dont have that this holiday, you are screwed.

esquire
10-17-2007, 01:19 AM
When comparing the 3 major consoles out now, it is very difficult to compare either the 360 or PS3 with the Wii. Although the Wii was the next gen for nintendo, it really isn't on the same level as the 360 and PS3 as the library for the Wii is going to be different than the libraries for the 360 and PS3, partly due to the limitations of Wii, and partly due to the market for the Wii.

So the PS3 gets stuck being compared to the 360, which has a 1 year jump on it. When comparing these 2 consoles, I don't think its fair to grade the PS3 for lack of 1st and 3rd party exclusives. It is what it is. In fact, I would venture to gues that some multi-platform games may play better on the PS3 then the 360, and vice versa.

And don't forget, quantity does not always equate with quality. Case in point, the Wii, which has its fair share of "shovel ware" already - games previously released on the Gamecube (GT Pro Series), PS2 (Anubis II) and XBOX (Monster 4x4 World Circuit) and re-released on the Wii, or re-releases with the added Wiimote gimmick controls (Driver Pararell Lines, Far Cry, MK Armageddon, RE4 and Prince of Persia).

In fact, there are very few Wii exclusives that are "must haves" beyond Metroid Prime Corruption, Super Paper Mario, WarioWare: Smooth Moves and Rayman Raving Rabbids. Red Steel was a disappointment as was Sonic. Trauma Center was so-so, and Zelda does not count as it was released on the Gamecube as well. But I guess it is a must have, even if it not unique to the system. Then there is the kiddie crap and just plain terrible games (Escape from Bug Island, Wing Island, Chicken Shoot, etc)

boatofcar
10-17-2007, 01:38 AM
When comparing the 3 major consoles out now, it is very difficult to compare either the 360 or PS3 with the Wii. Although the Wii was the next gen for nintendo, it really isn't on the same level as the 360 and PS3 as the library for the Wii is going to be different than the libraries for the 360 and PS3, partly due to the limitations of Wii, and partly due to the market for the Wii.

So the PS3 gets stuck being compared to the 360, which has a 1 year jump on it. When comparing these 2 consoles, I don't think its fair to grade the PS3 for lack of 1st and 3rd party exclusives. It is what it is. In fact, I would venture to gues that some multi-platform games may play better on the PS3 then the 360, and vice versa.

And don't forget, quantity does not always equate with quality. Case in point, the Wii, which has its fair share of "shovel ware" already - games previously released on the Gamecube (GT Pro Series), PS2 (Anubis II) and XBOX (Monster 4x4 World Circuit) and re-released on the Wii, or re-releases with the added Wiimote gimmick controls (Driver Pararell Lines, Far Cry, MK Armageddon, RE4 and Prince of Persia).

In fact, there are very few Wii exclusives that are "must haves" beyond Metroid Prime Corruption, Super Paper Mario, WarioWare: Smooth Moves and Rayman Raving Rabbids. Red Steel was a disappointment as was Sonic. Trauma Center was so-so, and Zelda does not count as it was released on the Gamecube as well. But I guess it is a must have, even if it not unique to the system. Then there is the kiddie crap and just plain terrible games (Escape from Bug Island, Wing Island, Chicken Shoot, etc)

So why did this turn into a why I hate the Wii thread? Do you feel the need to put it down just because someone said something bad about the PS3? Sabre2922, is that you?

UniHamachi
10-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Current Must Haves:
Folklore
WarHawk
Heavenly Sword
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Oblivion
Motorstorm
Virtua Fighter 5
Are those really "Must Haves" or just the "best you can get"? Aside from Resistance, are any of these really system sellers?

Whoa whoa whoa -- you're calling RE4 "shovel ware"? Those aren't gimmicky controls -- the Wii version is a definite improvment over the GCN version because of those controls. I won't argue with your point about alarming numbers of Wii shovelware.

In fact, there are very few Wii exclusives that are "must haves" beyond Metroid Prime Corruption, Super Paper Mario, WarioWare: Smooth Moves and Rayman Raving Rabbids. Red Steel was a disappointment as was Sonic. Trauma Center was so-so, and Zelda does not count as it was released on the Gamecube as well.
I'm not sure why Zelda doesn't count -- I would only get the GCN version if I didn't have a Wii -- the Wii is the definitive version of that game. Again, your "must haves" list is way to big -- it's really just Metroid, Zelda, and RE4. I wouldn't consider anything else indispensible, although you did neglect WiiSports (I know, it's a pack in, but it's one of the best things on the Wii IMO).

Considering the paucity of titles, the crazy launch price, the poor marketing, and the embarassing sell through numbers, I don't know how you could give the PS3 higher than a C-. I'd say D. Even with BluRay factored in, the truth is, the BluRay library is actually pretty small, and most of the movies are shit.

Nintendo Gamer
10-17-2007, 01:53 AM

UniHamachi
10-17-2007, 01:55 AM
This won't end up well.
Shit, the title alone was a giveaway.

j_factor
10-17-2007, 02:04 AM
What pisses me off about the PS3 is that backwards compatibility is already being phased out. Soon, there will be no PS3 with hardware-enabled BC available. Backwards compatibility, combined with the upscaling ability, would've sold me on a PS3 whenever I get around to getting an HDTV.

The other thing is, I'm wondering what exactly certain Sony teams are even doing right now. Where's the new WipEout? What's the ICO team working on? Where's the new Parappa? Considering their losses on the third-party front, it's awfully weird that Sony isn't putting more effort into -- or at least talking about -- their first-party stuff.

Nick
10-17-2007, 02:22 AM
Current Must Haves:
Folklore
WarHawk
Heavenly Sword
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Oblivion
Motorstorm
Virtua Fighter 5

Near Future Must Haves:
Assassin's Creed (11/13)
Time Crisis 4 (11/20)
Kane & Lynch (11/20)
Rock Band (11/23)
Orange Box (12/11)

Hmm...im not sure thats the best must have list I've seen. I would agree with the OP that there really isn't enough quality games currently and on the horizon to justify the steep price tag. I truly don't care what happens either way but I would say the first year grade is at best, D+.

Icarus Moonsight
10-17-2007, 02:29 AM
I agree with j_factor. Where is the first party support on Sony's end? Now, I have never listed Sony as among my favorite devs/pubs, but they were starting to put out some damn fine quality games on the PS2 with startling regularity. Ico and Shadow, GoW 1/2, Champions of Norrath & Return to Arms and even an awesome series of platformers with Sly Cooper... I can't even fathom why they haven't been able to deliver on their own hardware. Even the N64, as bad as it was, had a steady yet slow production of gems through the Nintendo teams.

Saddest of all is that when Sony finally designs a system with relatively few flaws on the hardware reliability end the software pool is closed to make the whole point moot.

Any grade higher than an D is mercy. No F's though. The platform is still at market after all.

spoon
10-17-2007, 06:30 AM
Current Must Haves:
Folklore (Haven't played yet)
WarHawk (Haven't played yet)
Heavenly Sword (Good. A bit hyped IMHO)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Remake. Does look pretty in spots though)
Oblivion (Previously released and done better, on another system
Motorstorm (Underwhelming online is fun)
Virtua Fighter 5 ( Pretty damn good. Will be released on 360 though)
Resistance: Fall of Man (Easily the best of the bunch. Only PS3 game I have played through.)

Near Future Must Haves:
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (10/26) (Multi Platform release)
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (10/30) (Also really, really looking forward to this)
Assassin's Creed (11/13) (Multi Platform release)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (11/20) ( I am Really, really, really looking forward to this)
Time Crisis 4 (11/20) (Should be good)
Kane & Lynch (11/20) (Multi platform release)
Rock Band (11/23) (Multi platform release)
Orange Box (12/11) (Multi platform and already out release)

Just how I felt about the list. Almost a "well, this is what you can get since you have a 600 dollar paperweight."

Joking aside, Sony really needed to delay the release of the PS3. I'm not sure what was worse, this or the Saturn. System was in short supply out of the box. As were/have been quality games. Games still are, systems, and multiple, multiple SKUS I might add, are everywhere. Shit, I heard Jack Trenton is living in a cardboard box on New Yorks Upper East Side. The displays of arrogance were very disheartening to me. I don't think I have heard more crazy shit stated by Execs than that 3-5 month period after the PS3 came out.

I am also guessing the rumblings of problems developing for the machine were true? Seems like a lot of delays, cancellations or finger pointing. Unreal has problems running smooth, as do the EA sports titles.

Funny how Microsoft seems more geared towards the gamers atm, while, Sony now needs to shed a corporate machine image.

I just want to see more quality games and a quality effort by Sony. I also would like to see less of the tacked on "we have waggle like the wii" controls. Also, Lair was something I was really looking forward too. What a letdown.

The Stuff that is being done with LittlebigPlanet and Home look to be pretty sweet.

I give it a C. Still got a long road to drive. The thing has amazing potential. Just needs some sturdy legs.

esquire
10-17-2007, 08:32 AM
So why did this turn into a why I hate the Wii thread? Do you feel the need to put it down just because someone said something bad about the PS3? Sabre2922, is that you?

This didn't turn into that at all. The OP originally gave the PS3 an "F" due to lack of console specific "must have" releases. Obviously when such a statement is made, it cannot be made in a vacuum, but compared to the other consoles and placed in a proper context. Obviously you didn't read both my posts as also stated that the 360 was in a similar position 1 year after its release as well. Oh and I never said I hated the Wii nor did I give it an "F". In fact I have a Wii with 18 releases, not including Wii Sports.

Nice try fanboy.

Oh, and BTW, I don't think what I said, while partly on opinion as far as "must haves", is not far from the truth, as far as the comment on "shovel ware" and re-releases, unless you like to actually comment on that rather than simply pigeon hole my statement with a one sentence response like you did.

gepeto
10-17-2007, 08:40 AM
The funny thing about the Wii is there first party and diverse games seem to be closer to retail than the ps3. Victorious boxer. ssbm. fire emblem. There flawless backwards compatibility helps and they might have average games but they have games and the ports don't stand out as much and the ports are cheap like far cry. Also for me the wii entered the scene with average expectation. and the cheap price takes the sting down a little bit.

The good news on the ps3 front is I heard the new 40 gig model and 399 price lead to triple sales. Are 3rd party developers intentionally not developing until the install base gets bigger? I thought 3rd parties dump stuff out just to get in on the action.

As far as grades go please feel free to grade on what you think. If someones grade is low respect it if someones is high repect it because when you pay for something you earned the right to judge it how you see fit.

esquire
10-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Are those really "Must Haves" or just the "best you can get"? Aside from Resistance, are any of these really system sellers?.

Yes. This thread is based upon opinion after all. How can you otherwise grade a system? That was the whole basis of the OP - his opinion on lack of upcoming "must haves" for the system, which he did not even bother to look up, as you can see there are releases on the horizon, and he didn't realize Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted on being released in the next 30 days.

Whoa whoa whoa -- you're calling RE4 "shovel ware"? Those aren't gimmicky controls -- the Wii version is a definite improvment over the GCN version because of those controls. I won't argue with your point about alarming numbers of Wii shovelware.

No. Please read my post. I refer to "shovel ware" and "re-releases". RE4 is a re-release, twice now already and is not console specific to the Wii. The OP's grade of the PS3 was based on lack of console exclusives. Please read the threads and follow along if you are going to participate.

I'm not sure why Zelda doesn't count -- I would only get the GCN version if I didn't have a Wii -- the Wii is the definitive version of that game. Again, your "must haves" list is way to big -- it's really just Metroid, Zelda, and RE4. I wouldn't consider anything else indispensible, although you did neglect WiiSports (I know, it's a pack in, but it's one of the best things on the Wii IMO).

Again, it's not a console exclusive. in fact it was originally designed for the Gamecube; regardless, I thought I conceded Zelda anyways? Please read my post.

Considering the paucity of titles, the crazy launch price, the poor marketing, and the embarassing sell through numbers, I don't know how you could give the PS3 higher than a C-. I'd say D. Even with BluRay factored in, the truth is, the BluRay library is actually pretty small, and most of the movies are shit.

I don't see how marketing/sales numbers has anything to do with grading the console itself; we're not grading Sony here. However, with the anti-Sony and pro-Nintendo bias that seems to be prevalent here, it does not suprise me.

As far as the price, I think I mentioned the $100 price drop.

Yeah Casino Royale, 300, The Departed, and both Pirates of the Caribbean all suck. Yeah, there are some poor translations - Fifth Element - and the library is not like standard DVD yet, but its early on and Blu-ray has the majority of studios supporting it as opposed to HD-DVD. Plus, I notice the HD-DVDs tend to run more than their Blu-ray counterpart.

esquire
10-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Hmm...im not sure thats the best must have list I've seen. I would agree with the OP that there really isn't enough quality games currently and on the horizon to justify the steep price tag. I truly don't care what happens either way but I would say the first year grade is at best, D+.

Again, you need to place things in context. Look at other consoles "must haves" in their first year.

gepeto
10-17-2007, 08:56 AM
Yes. This thread is based upon opinion after all. How can you otherwise grade a system? That was the whole basis of the OP - his opinion on lack of upcoming "must haves" for the system, which he did not even bother to look up, as you can see there are releases on the horizon, and he didn't realize Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted on being released in the next 30 days.

This is not particularly true I keep my ear to the street for the most part but it is really sony and the game makers job to inform the the consumer and get the information out accurately.

I hear more about a title getting pushed back than confirmed release dates.

Oobgarm
10-17-2007, 08:57 AM
I'd give the console a solid 'C'.

There have been some major missteps with the way Sony's been handling the hardware, but the high profile titles that have been released, coupled with the holiday releases, make up for those errors somewhat.

heybtbm
10-17-2007, 09:30 AM
I'll give the PS3 a "C" for the year.

The PS3 needs a real-time achievement system, similar to Microsoft. Sneer all you want, but all things being equal...I'll buy the 360 version of a game because of the achievements. I really think Sony underestimated the draw of the whole achievement system.

swlovinist
10-17-2007, 09:40 AM

Nevertheless, the Wii is Competition of the PS3 any way you cut it. People who normally would buy a Family Sony Game system are buying a Wii instead. Sales numbers are speaking loudly

I have to contend that F.E.A.R., Madden 08, and Oblivion of all things are inferior ports on the PS3 versus the 360. Esquire, you have to face the facts that the PS3 is sucking balls on 1st party exclusives right now, a reason why Sony is getting a black eye by it competition.

Every successful system has shovel ware. Sales numbers cannot deny that the Wii has been successful as much as some people dont like it.

Since you are using upcoming PS3 exclusives to defend "your system" this holiday, let me remind you that Mario Galaxy is coming out on the Wii, as well as these: This is not a blatant attack, nor a fanboy one. The truth of the matter is the PS3 is a far third right now for not having exclusives and being overpriced. I give the overall system a C with its future on the ropes. Mark my words, it will not have the staying power of the PS2 due to not being the market leader.

Every successful system has shovel ware. Sales numbers cannot deny that the Wii has been successful as much as some people dont like it.

October 23, 2007 Namco Museum Remix Namco Action
Compilation
(DSI) Adventure

October 23, 2007 Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure Capcom Adventure

October 29, 2007 Battalion Wars 2 Nintendo Action
Adventure

November 5, 2007 Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Nintendo Strategy
RPG

Compilation
November 6, 2007 Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games SEGA Sports
Compilation Sports

November 12, 2007 Cruis'n Midway Games Racing

November 12, 2007 Super Mario Galaxy Nintendo Platformer

November 13, 2007 Geometry Wars: Galaxies Sierra Shooter

November 13, 2007 Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 Ubisoft Action

November 13, 2007 Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles Capcom Shooter

November 13, 2007 Soulcalibur Legends Namco Bandai Action

November 13, 2007 Star Trek: Conquest Bethesda Softworks Flight
Action

November 19, 2007 Link's Crossbow Training Nintendo Shooter

November 19, 2007 Nitrobike Ubisoft Racing
Action

November 20, 2007 Ghost Squad SEGA Shooter

November 20, 2007 Indoor Sports Konami Sports

November 20, 2007 Trauma Center: New Blood Atlus Simulation

December 3, 2007 Samurai Warriors Katana KOEI Action

December 18th, 2007 Nights into Dreams

Chuplayer
10-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Here's my report card on the PS3.

BC
20gig: Makes a great PS2
40gig: Pointless
60gig: Makes a great PS2
80gig: Makes an okay PS2

PS3 games: Well, you can play import PS3 games, and MGS4 and Time Crisis 4 are coming down the line. Almost everything else can be had on the 360.

PS3 hardware: You can saunafy it, and it'll still work. The different models of the system might confuse soccer moms, and removing BC from the 40 gig is the worst decision ever. Otherwise, the PS3 is solid as a rock.

VGfan
10-17-2007, 09:51 AM
edit.

VGfan
10-17-2007, 09:57 AM
No. Please read my post. I refer to "shovel ware" and "re-releases". RE4 is a re-release, twice now already and is not console specific to the Wii. The OP's grade of the PS3 was based on lack of console exclusives. Please read the threads and follow along if you are going to participate.

Then why did you list games like Virtua Fighter 5, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Oblivion? They don't count.

klausien
10-17-2007, 10:16 AM
...I would give it a B-/C+

Yes there is a lack of games for it, but you may recall the 360 was the same way...

I'd say that your review sounds more like a D+/C- than anything approaching a B. Excellent perspective however; though I disagree that versions of year+ old games (no matter how great they may be), the normal launch racers, and the like are "must-haves" approaching a system's one year anniversary. Most systems seem to suffer from this problem though.

That said, it is still very hard to give the PS3 anything better than a D after this first year. Time does make a difference, but system death problems aside, the 360 never felt as aimless and lost as the PS3 does a year later. A look at all of the different SKUs & hardware changes, in addition to immediate price drops & lack of sell-through though shows that Sony has a larger hill to climb than its competitors after it stops digging its own grave.

Nintendo has a corner on the family/non-gamer market & the luxury of a stable of franchises that has reached Disney proportions in terms of public familiarity, though lack of technical muscle will hurt them in the long run. Microsoft has the epicness of Live, Halo, and continues to steadily build their market share with "hardcore mainstream gamers", but a real money pit opened up under them due to engineering mistakes. Microsoft may very well have pulled very far ahead if they hadn't been hit with such a consumer confidence-sapping tragedy.

Sony had nowhere to go but up after the PS2 finally turned a profit. Then UMD almost killed the PSP. So what did they do? They bet the farm, "Trojan Horsing" a new format into the mix with their new console, thereby pricing it out of their market's reach. PS3 is currently looking like it could very well make a winner out of Blu Ray, but it may sacrifice itself as a result. That would be a victory for Sony, but a loss for loyal gamers.

The song remains the same. Anything could happen with this kind of volatility. We are again kicking the crap out of a decomposing equine.

UniHamachi
10-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Yes. This thread is based upon opinion after all. How can you otherwise grade a system? That was the whole basis of the OP - his opinion on lack of upcoming "must haves" for the system
So, if his opinion is that there isn't anything he likes, then your opinion trumps it? And if I loooove Ninjabreadman, should I then include on my list of "must haves"? You can't willy nilly assign that term to any game that strikes your fancy.

RE4 is a re-release, twice now already and is not console specific to the Wii. The OP's grade of the PS3 was based on lack of console exclusives.
But it was re-eingineered for the Wii -- the play experience is differnt, and it's not a tacked on gimmick. Besides, most of your list of current and upcoming "must haves" are also multi-platform.

I don't see how marketing/sales numbers has anything to do with grading the console itself
If you bungle the marketing, then you get less sell through. Less sell through, and less people want to develop (although the taxing technical demands are doing that anyway). Everything has to be taken into account because all these factors determine what games go on what system. If publishers delay games hoping that the install base will grow more, then yes, it is all part and parcel of the console score.

I have a Wii with 18 releases, not including Wii Sports
Shit, I can't even find 10 games I even want to try on the Wii, and you own 18? I now understand why your "must haves" umbrella is so big and inclusive.

And if you want to compare the first year of PS3 to the Wii, I would say that Metroid, RE4, and Zelda are better than anything on the PS3 (of course, excluding BC PS2 games). And you can say RE4 is just a remake, but it's still better than the PS2 version and it's also half the price of a PS3 game.

Rob2600
10-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Look at the PSP. It took some time, but now there are a slew of great must have titles for the unit.

the PS3 gets stuck being compared to the 360, which has a 1 year jump on it. When comparing these 2 consoles, I don't think its fair ... And don't forget, quantity does not always equate with quality.

Ten years ago, the PlayStation had a one-year "jump" on the Nintendo 64, but that didn't stop PlayStation fans from bashing the Nintendo 64's lack of games.

Remember, PlayStation fans bashed the Nintendo 64 for having a slow trickle of new releases and bashed the whole concept of quality over quantity. "Nintendo 64 has four new releases a month. PlayStation has fourteen. See, PlayStation is better! Quality over quantity is stupid!" Now, ten years later, the PlayStation 3 is in the same situation the Nintendo 64 was in...and PlayStation fans are actually defending it. This blatant flip-flop in attitude is hilarious.

What goes around comes around.

Anyway, "Keep waiting, good games will be released eventually" is not an acceptable attitude. It wasn't acceptable ten years ago with the Nintendo 64 and it shouldn't be acceptable now.

removing BC from the 40 gig is the worst decision ever.

Did Sony remove backwards-compatibility entirely or is it just being done in software instead of hardware?

7th lutz
10-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Did Sony remove backwards-compatibility entirely or is it just being done in software instead of hardware?

Sony remove backwards-compatibility entirely. That is one of the reasons why the 40 Gb ps 3 is for $399.99 along with 2 less USB ports.

Oobgarm
10-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Sony remove backwards-compatibility entirely. That is one of the reasons why the 40 Gb ps 3 is for $399.99 along with 2 less USB ports.

And, though I thought it was a stupid move at first, really isn't a bad idea if you're wanting a PS3 experience without anything extra. Which, honestly, I might spring for in the future.

heybtbm
10-17-2007, 12:51 PM

Not entirely. PS2 titles will not be backwards compatible, but PS titles will work via emulation.

UniHamachi
10-17-2007, 01:27 PM
They removed the emotion engine from the PS3 to save money. As I understand it, the PS2 games could still be done via software, but that would require Sony to comb through all the games and test them to see which ones worked and which would need further firmware upgrades. Rather than do all this legwork, they scrapped it as a feature. So it's not impossible, but it would require too much work to tout it as a feature.

mailman187666
10-17-2007, 01:28 PM
PS3 game library C- (could use more new exclusives like we've all said a million times)

PS3 online capability B- (has some great downloadable games but haven't played multiplayer yet)

PS3 system durability A- (everything works great so far and have experienced no problems what so ever but it does pump out some heat)

PS3 (60 gig) backward compatibility A (I love how well it upscales the games and I have yet to experience a single glitch).

PS3 system functions B (the memory card slots from PS1+2 should have been included along with Dual Shock Controller ports. Internet is kinda shitty, SD card slots are useful in a few ways to me, Blueray is outstanding picture quality, PSP/PS3 connectivity is kinda cool, and can't wait for Home to come out....should be interesting)

PS3 overall B- (everything functions properly and the system has very high potential. The only thing missing still is all the games. Forget about the little downloadable titles and get working on the real deal

Flack
10-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Here's my report card.

Hardware: Sleek design. Surprisingly heavy. Shiny sloped case makes it hard to stack shit on top of. Leaving the unit in standby raises the temperature in my gaming room 5 degrees. It has a ton of processing power that programmers apparently don't know how to use. It has USB rechargable controllers that I can't recharge if the system's turned off. The controller shape hasn't changed in a decade -- I consider that a good thing. The new R1/L1 triggers are great, if you like finger cramps. Buit in wifi, memory card slots and USB ports are nice. All bullshit aside, I haven't had a single read error and no red lights that have kept me from buying a 360 to date. Definitely durable so far. Hardware Grade: B+

Software: While not directly the fault of the PS3, it turns out I really don't like new games. I don't like FPS and a lot of the other titles bore me. A lot of the early titles were released both for the PS2 and PS3. The backward compatibility adds a letter grade right off the bat, but the trickle release schedule drops it down two. I like the downloadable demos; very enjoyable. I'm still waiting for the title that I can show to my friends and say, "THAT'S why I bought this." Software Grade: C

Price: Too high. I appreciate the fact that wifi and a hard drive were included, but I picked up a 2nd controller and 3 games and ended up dropping over $900. That's too much. Price: D

I like the fact that you can play online for free, but I don't think the PS3 comes close to holding a candle to Xbox Live. You get what you pay for. I like the fact that Sony keeps adding features with firmware upgrades, but I don't like the fact that they are mandatory before you play online. I feel like "the best is yet to come" with this console, and I silently wonder if I will still be interested when it arrives.

Overall Grade: C-

Poofta!
10-17-2007, 02:35 PM
lemme take a stab at this list... *puts on flamethrower safety goggles*

Current Must Haves:
Folklore - mediocre rpg, like there arent any rpgs out right now for other consoles...
WarHawk -a battlefield clone, that no one ever does anything different in other than run for the aircrafts
Heavenly Sword because dungeon crawlers havent been released before
Ninja Gaiden Sigma see xbox... 2 years ago
Oblivion multiplatform so shouldnt count
Motorstorm ...dirt
Virtua Fighter 5 multiplatform so shouldnt count
Resistance: Fall of Man fine, but halo3, gears is better

Near Future Must Haves:
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (10/26) multiplatform so shouldnt count
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (10/30) okay, but kiddie no and slightly overdone by now
Assassin's Creed (11/13) multiplatform so shouldnt count
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (11/20) i plead ignorance on thsi one, dont know anything on it
Time Crisis 4 (11/20) yep, nothing like a deep, involved, highly interactive 60 hour game to justify a 500-600 dollar system
Kane & Lynch (11/20) multiplatform so shouldnt count
Rock Band (11/23) multiplatform so shouldnt count
Orange Box (12/11) multiplatform so shouldnt count

(Yeah, you're right. Nothing good on the horizon there.) yeah he is right

now, having said all this, i still want a ps3. cause i want to have a nice BC PS with hdmi, i want the 60gb and i dont wanna pay more than 400. if anyone has one for sale call me up. as for ps3 games, im sorry theres simply nothing interesting.

esquire
10-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Then why did you list games like Virtua Fighter 5, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Oblivion? They don't count.

Of those 3, only Ninja Gaiden is a re-release - game released on a prior generation console. The other 2 are multi-console releases - game released on multiple consoles like say Madden 07. Ninja Gaiden Sigma is sort of like RE4 to the Wii - added content etc.

esquire
10-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Since you are using upcoming PS3 exclusives to defend "your system" this holiday...

Why is it that on this board, if you say something nice about CONSOLE X you are labled? All I did was call someone out who made a statement that I believed to be untrue and then took his comment and placed it in context to another system release that took place approximately the same time 1 year ago.

The whole Wii comparison was to put things in "context", which for some people (and there seems to be a pattern of usual suspects), and this is not directed at you, cannot appreciate without going off flaming someone because they see it as an attack on the other console. Please take not that I never said the Wii sucks or gave it an "F".

For the record I own a Wii with 18 games, a PS3 with 13 games and a 360 with 112 games. They are all "my systems". I do not own stock in any one company, nor do I have any financial interest in seeing one rise or fall. As I see it, we all gain when a console is successful. I wish Sega still made systems for that matter. I've been playing video games since Space Invaders in the arcade and Pong on the family TV. In the words of Al Pacino as Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade, "I've been around you know".

What I get tired of here is the endless PS3 bash post here at DP. (For that matter, Sony pisses me off too - take for example the release of the PSP and the problems of burnt pixels and single analog control)

When the original post was made, it was not, in my opinion, an honest or otherwise sincere review. It did not look at the console overall, and it simply dismissed it as an "F" due to the fact that there was no "must have" releases on the immediate horizon. To simply give a console an "F" seems dismissive to me, especially when the sole reason for the grade that was given was not necessarily true.

Rob2600
10-17-2007, 10:16 PM
When the original post was made, it was not, in my opinion, an honest or otherwise sincere review. It did not look at the console overall, and it simply dismissed it as an "F" due to the fact that there was no "must have" releases on the immediate horizon. To simply give a console an "F" seems dismissive to me, especially when the sole reason for the grade that was given was not necessarily true.

In fairness, swlovinist's "F" only applies to the PlayStation 3's first year. It does not apply to its entire lifespan.

megamaniaman
10-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Ok, I have to give this system an F. Why? Because, compared to the expectations of this system it laid a big fat one. One year ago people were expecting that the PS3 would be number 1 by this time. It was supposed to give the deathblow to Nintendo's Wii. And it's must have games were supposed to be side by side with XBOX 360. Sony was supposed to reign supreme int he console wars. Did any of this happen? The answer is no. This system was supposed to have anything but an average first year. One problem was that Sony's hubris was extensive. Only recently in July have they started working on a problem that should of been addressed in October. Of course the PS3 is anything but dead. But if the PS3 is going to have the success of the previous 2 Sony systems, they better get a move on.

j_factor
10-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I kind of agree with the sentiment myself. The PS3's library so far just doesn't do anything for me at all. Talk all you want about how the first year is never great, but I think the PS3's first year has been worse than most major systems (I say 'major' only to exclude crap like CDi). IMO all four last-gen systems had better first-years than PS3, and so did 360 and Wii, Playstation and Saturn, and Genesis and SNES.

Rob2600
10-17-2007, 11:17 PM
IMO all four last-gen systems had better first-years than PS3, and so did 360 and Wii, Playstation and Saturn, and Genesis and SNES.

Even the Nintendo 64 had several A+ classics like Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, and Goldeneye 007 in its first year.

Anthony1
10-18-2007, 02:00 AM
I'd give the PS3 a D. It would be an F, if it wasn't for the outstanding Blu Ray playback. Now, having said that, I think things will dramatically improve for it in the future.

Positives

1. Everything is integrated into 1 sleek console - You get Wi-Fi, Blu Ray, memory stick support, etc, etc.

2. Blu Ray playback is awesome. Seriously, as a big time videophile, I can tell you that the Blu Ray player in the PS3 is nearly indistinguishable from any other Blu Ray player.

3. Lossless 7.1 sound available in certain games. Like Resistance, Lair and WarHawk, with more coming. This is one thing the 360 isn't cable of. Sure, it requires a special receiver and high quality speakers to really appreciate the difference, but hearing is believing. Last generation, I normally choose the Xbox version over a PS2 version, because the Xbox version had 5.1 Dolby Digital sound in game. This time, the PS3 has a huge advantage.

4. No giant power brick. Seriously. That huge ass power brick for the 360 is pretty darn annoying.

5. Resistance and Motorstorm were very fun. Virtua Fighter 5 was also pretty good.

Negatives

1. No easy scaler to convert 720p material to 1080i. This is an absolute critical flaw in my opinion, and I'm absolutely flabbergasted that this issue is still with us almost a year later. I remember when the PS3 first launched, I figured that this was a minor hiccup that would have been patched within a couple of weeks. Boy was I wrong. There are millions of people out there with HDTV's that only support 1080i. For those of us with these kinds of HDTV's, Resistance and Motorstorm look like absolute crap, because they are output at 480p instead. 99 percent of all external High Def devices have a scaler built in, making this a complete no issue, but somehow the engineers at Sony completely dropped the ball and forgot to put a $1 scaling chip in their $600 system. (when I say $1, I mean purchased in ridiculously huge quantities).

2. Only 3 games that are actually worth having, if you already own a Xbox 360. Resistance, Motorstorm and VF5. Of course, the VF5 thing is no longer valid, but was for many months.

3. No rumble - Yeah, I know it's coming, eventually, but the fact that I even have to list this as an issue is pretty ridiculous. I'm sorry, but if I'm playing COD4 this Xmas, I'm playing it on 360, primarily because of rumble. All things being equal, I want my First Person Shooters, Sports and Racing games to have rumble.

4. Why can't I play my own tunes during games? The 360 has had this feature since the beginning, but the PS3 doesn't allow it. Pretty bizzare if you ask me. I only use it during racing games, but still.

5. No headset packed in the PS3 box. This is something alot of people don't talk about, but I think it's a huge part of the reason that the PS3 online experience isn't as well thought out as the Xbox Live one. They should have put a headset in every box. A Wired USB one. I don't like those damn blue tooth things, and I just want a normal damn headset. If you take 100 PS3 owners, how many have headsets? Virtually every 360 owner has a headset. It's a big difference.

Now, again, having said all of this, things can improve by leaps and bounds very quickly. It might look pretty dire for Sony right now, but things can change in a heartbeat. Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted are about to come out, and I'm super hyped on both of those games. I'm sure Killzone 2 and MGS4 are going to be pimp as well. I'm very intrigued by Infamous and Afrika. Rumble controllers are coming to the USA in 2008. Sony could add a $1 true scaling chip to a future revision of PS3 systems. Basically, all their negative issues can be corrected.

MarkMan
10-18-2007, 02:34 AM
I've had a PS3 since launch last year.

My grade... D- ...

Aside from playing Tekken and watching Blu-Rays... this system did NOTHING for me.

VGfan
10-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Of those 3, only Ninja Gaiden is a re-release - game released on a prior generation console. The other 2 are multi-console releases - game released on multiple consoles like say Madden 07. Ninja Gaiden Sigma is sort of like RE4 to the Wii - added content etc.

But you shouldn't list them because they don't count if we use your rules.

Ninja Gaiden is re-release of an Xbox game, so like RE4 Wii, it dosn't count.

The other two don't count because they are multiplatform. I'll use your words here:The OP's grade of the PS3 was based on lack of console exclusives. Please read the threads and follow along if you are going to participate.

monkeychemist
10-18-2007, 12:54 PM
so what is the deal with backwards compatibility. I am getting confused with all the posts on this board??

PS1? it works?

PS2? most games work, but then the BC was taken away...is it back?

I'm so confused.

heybtbm
10-18-2007, 01:03 PM
so what is the deal with backwards compatibility. I am getting confused with all the posts on this board??

PS1? it works?

PS2? most games work, but then the BC was taken away...is it back?

I'm so confused.

PS1 games work on every version of the PS3 (20,60,80, and 40 gig).

All PS2 games work on the 20, 60 gig PS3's.

Some PS2 games work on the 80 gig PS3 (via emulation).

No PS2 games work on the 40 gig PS3.

UniHamachi
10-18-2007, 01:47 PM
From the WSJ (via neoGAF):

The new $399 PlayStation model will not play games designed for the PlayStation 2, Sony's popular older game console. Mr. Tretton conceded that removing that capability, along with a few other features, isn't dramatically reducing Sony's cost of manufacturing the console but will instead encourage buyers of the entry-level PlayStation 3 to purchase more games designed specifically for the new system.

There is a link to the article (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119266831139662837.html?mod=googlenews_wsj), but you need a subscription to read it.

monkeychemist
10-18-2007, 03:43 PM
PS1 games work on every version of the PS3 (20,60,80, and 40 gig).

All PS2 games work on the 20, 60 gig PS3's.

Some PS2 games work on the 80 gig PS3 (via emulation).

No PS2 games work on the 40 gig PS3.

Moving forward is the PS3 going to continue supporting BC for PS1 & 2?

I really want to one day be able to get a PS3...however my fav collection of games is PS2 (after SNES) and I really will have a hard time shelling out the cash if I have to lug around my clunky PS2 with its barely working dvd drive.

Nintendo Gamer
10-18-2007, 07:59 PM

gum_drops
10-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Moving forward is the PS3 going to continue supporting BC for PS1 & 2?

I really want to one day be able to get a PS3...however my fav collection of games is PS2 (after SNES) and I really will have a hard time shelling out the cash if I have to lug around my clunky PS2 with its barely working dvd drive.

Yes, the 80 gb will continue to support BC. Also, the 80gb version bundled with motor storm was dropped down to 499.00 today.

You can check your collection of games on the BC compatibility site at:
http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Lothars
10-19-2007, 02:11 AM
Current Must Haves:
Folklore -
WarHawk -
Heavenly Sword
Motorstorm
Resistance

Near Future Must Haves:

Time Crisis 4 (11/20)

im sorry theres simply nothing interesting

:rolleyes:

Well you can't account for acting like an idiot but you should plead ingnorance on basically your outlook in general on the games for the PS3 this fall, Yes it's not as good as the 360 fall lineup but there are some definite must have games for the PS3.

The games I have listed here are definitely the must have games for the PS3 this year from Folklore which is something that came out of no where imo and is really good to Warhawk which I thought was gonna be really bad but turned out to be easily one of the top multiplayer shooters on consoles which for a battlefield type game, it's great.

To be fair I think resistance is better than halo 3 in some ways and worse in others.

Motorstorm is a great game which I think is better than dirt

Rachet and Clank and Uncharted are looking amazing, the demo for rachet and clank was great and got me excited for the game.

Uncharted is looking better and better everytime I hear something about it.

I rate the PS3 so far a C, Great System in general but lacking in games compared to the 360 but on par with the Wii.

Icarus Moonsight
10-22-2007, 01:34 AM
I don't have to plead ignorance and I see that there is nearly zero need for me to buy a PS3 with what is in the pipe so far. Ok, MGS4 IS tempting. As that may be, I'm not going to invest in a system for a single game I am deeply interested in. I'd like to see at least five or so before I start looking hard at a purchase. Especially at the $400 entry fee (still too high IMO). :o So I can see his point. Even though we rarely agree. lol

esquire
10-23-2007, 12:42 AM
But you shouldn't list them because they don't count if we use your rules.

Ninja Gaiden is re-release of an Xbox game, so like RE4 Wii, it dosn't count.

The other two don't count because they are multiplatform. I'll use your words here:The OP's grade of the PS3 was based on lack of console exclusives. Please read the threads and follow along if you are going to participate.

That was my mistake misreading or misinterpreting the OP. For review, here it is:

grade from me F

It does not say anything about exclusives. It simply states "must haves".

Any particular system has a "must have" title, regardless of whether its console specific or not. Perhaps you are confusing "must haves" with "system sellers". Otherwise, by your analogy, GTA IV will not be a "must have" for either the 360 or PS3, and RE4 was not a "must have" for either the Gamecube or the PS2.

gepeto
10-23-2007, 07:18 AM
The 399 version looks to be headed in the right direction. The unit seems to have all I would need. The backward compatible to me is not as important because the ps2 does a good enough job and they are cheap and wafer thin. Has anyone used all the functions to pimp out your ps3 like the memory bigger hard dr. reader,os,etc.

gepeto
10-23-2007, 12:16 PM
i saw the ratchet demo out availble for download from the psn store. Any thoughts?

heybtbm
10-23-2007, 12:22 PM
i saw the ratchet demo out availble for download from the psn store. Any thoughts?

It was pretty cool. The "just like playing a Pixar film" hype is justified. I went from thinking about picking it up to definitely picking it up. It'll be a nice break from Halo 3/CoD4 FPS overload.

Games like this make me weep when I think of how incredible a Mario game would look like with this hardware.

Juganawt
10-23-2007, 03:21 PM
My Verdict -

System - B-

Frequent (if bloated) updates add new codecs and additions to the system that are usually worth having. The XMB though, while at first being quite neat and cool-looking, becomes quite cumbersome to navigate through one you start packin a few bits on the hard drive.

Online play is much better than I thought it would have been, but regional lockouts, lack of voice support on almost every game (which is made worse by the pathetic messaging system), and incosistent lag drop the quality of the online experience down to "passable, but only a throwaway feature" level..

The PSN Store is, quite frankly, laughable. In the US, there's a bit of worthwhile content, but here in the UK, PSN Store is a graveyard. The interface is slow and clunky, and the content is extremely sparse and overpriced.

After a year, I STILL think the Sixaxis is a heap of shit. The analogs have a 15% deadzone, the analog triggers feel flimsy and awkward, the motion control is laggy and inprecise, and the damn controller feels like its going to snap in my hands every time I play.

The machine itself is quite nicely designed though, and is much more stable than the Wii or 360. It seems PS3s are built to last.

Exclusive Released Games Lineup - E-.

I haven't such a poor lineup of exclusives since the PS2's Japanese launch.

Resistance is OK. It was never anything special (and that was solidified when only 2 weeks later Gears came out on 360, making Resistance look instantly old-hat), but showed promise for the system later on down the line. Motorstorm was gorgeous and was fun online, but lacked longevity. VF5 was an awesome timed exclusive, but now a far superior version is released we can't really credit the PS3 version anymore.

Ridge 7 is Ridge 6 with car customising..a HUGE let down, but still enjoyable.

Lair was abysmal, Eye of Judgement is interesting, certainly, but hardly a must-buy, and Folklore is just another RPG with no identifying features.

Which leaves us with Heavenly Sword and F1, which are both utterly average, despite hype falling out their asses.

Basically, out of PS3's desperately limited library of retail games, there are still ZERO AAA exclusive games that are purchasable today, and the machine's been out a year. Pathetic.

Luckily, it has 2 saviours from the PS Store - Warhawk, which is a pretty cool online only shooter which, while doing nothing remarkable, plays like a dream...and Super Stardust HD...which is an absolutely amazing little shooter and hands down the best game on PS3 - boxed or downloadable.

Overall released games lineup - C+

PS3 versions of 360 games litter the shelves of your local store. PS3 games tend to be released after their 360 counterparts, almost always look inferior, and typically have no extra features (which could easily be added in, in that 1 - 6 month gap PS3 versions have). There are some good games out there, but chances are, if you own a 360 like me, you've owned better versions of them for quite some time.

Future Potential - B-

The machine has huge potential, with some stellar looking games on the horizon that could possibly save the PS3 from an early death. Now the price has been reduced, we'll have to wait and see if the damage has already been done. Aside from the whole price/ lack of development support / poor sales / hilariously bad string of blunders Sony have made all the way through PS3's production and beyond, my only concerns are the limited memory in the system, and the slow speed of Blu-Ray. We'll have to wait and see. I think this holiday season (and the backlash shortly after from parents about removal of BC in the PS3 they bought for their kids) will determine PS3's lifespan.

Overall - D+

Passable, but Sony must try harder. If Sony don't pull the grade up by Xmas 08, then it's going to be expelled from the Console Race. The machine itself is nice, but what use is a games console without decent games on it that you cant find elsewhere?

Rob2600
10-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Games like this make me weep when I think of how incredible a Mario game would look like with this hardware.

I think Super Mario Galaxy will be amazing just the way it is. :)

Rob2600
10-23-2007, 05:26 PM
My Verdict...

Overall released games lineup - C+

PS3 games tend to be released after their 360 counterparts, almost always look inferior, and typically have no extra features (which could easily be added in, in that 1 - 6 month gap PS3 versions have).

Again, the PlayStation 3 reminds me of the Nintendo 64. There was a slow trickle of new releases and several third-parties were lazy and sloppy with their ports. It isn't the hardware's fault, it's just how things turned out for some reason. However, the developers that really took advantage of the powerful hardware produced games that looked amazing.

At least the Nintendo 64 had five A+ must-have classics in its first year. What does the PlayStation 3 have in its first year? According to several of you, not much.

gepeto
12-20-2007, 11:00 PM
I feel a need to update for what it is worth MY ps3 library has been picking up steam over the last month. I have been very pleased with the latest titles uncharted drakes fortune,Unreal Tornament 3 and a suprise folklore Rpg. I also pick up the simpsons game and ratchet.

I am surprised unreal hasn't been talked about much here. The online play so far has been super fast amazing for wifi. It is nice to have some games that I like to play om it. Can't wait for 2008.

skylark
12-21-2007, 06:09 AM
I'm happy with mine. Unreal isn't my thing, but after about two months I own Motorstorm, Folklore, Heavenly Sword and Uncharted. I plan on buying Ratchet and Clank and Resistance fairly soon. All are very good titles. So six, for me, must-buy exclusives since I bought the system last October or November (can't remember). That's a pretty good record compared to any other console. I will say that I tend to buy multi-console releases for the 360 because I happen to like achievements. That could change instantly if my 360 starts to malfunction.

GrandAmChandler
12-21-2007, 08:21 AM
I give The PS3 a grade "P" which does not stand for "Playstation", but........

......PWNED!

Dangerboy
12-21-2007, 08:43 AM
If i may add in an opinion from the employee-side of the counter:

The PlayStation 3 this year has been a failure; not a dismal failure, but a failure. When you're sitting on the same consoles for over 4 months, wiping the dust off the stack so you can use it as a coat rack, it's a bad time.

The biggest opponent for the system has been none other than Kaz, Jack Tretton's, and Ken Kutaragi's mouths. When you have that many lies and dumb comments come out of so many mouths, its hard for something to try and prove itself.

2nd is all the smoke and mirrors with FMV footage be sold off as in-game footage, no one supporting the true HMDI including Sony themselves (more than half the library is 720 tops), doctored screens and more.

The biggest issue with the comparisons to the 360 is that you can not compare cross platform games; one of the "so many up coming games" list was practically all on the 360 if-not-better on it. You have to focus strictly on 1st party material.

As I said, from this side of the counter, the only games that even remotely go the blood pumping for customers was Heavenly Sword, and that was only for like 2 hours, tops.

We've sold maybe 4 Eye of Judgements, maybe 10 Warhawks (which could be argued since it can be bought via the system), and even Ratchet and Clank, despite the beauty of it, hasn't exactly been making waves.

We've had the same used copy of Lair come back 7 for 7 under the "if you don't like it, return it" policy.

Don't even start on the NFL games framerates fiasco.

Hell, freaking Carnival Games for the Wii has outsold every Sony 1st party game combined, at least.

On top of all that, you have Sony stripping away the core values of the system (PS2 games? Screw PS2 games! We follow the Peter Moore way of thinking!), on top of the severe LACK of stuff in the box. You argue about the Wifi built in, I argue where the hell are the component cables, hdmi cables, and headset that Microsoft Elite tosses in for free, and still comes in cheaper under the radar? Especially on a system that was practically shoving HDMI down your throat...and at one point claimed the deck was going to have two hdmi ports.

You argue about how Sony's internet stuff is free; we had two PS3's traded in on the same day for the same reason; they couldn't stand the shakey online support. One of them bought a 360 with the same games on the spot because he knew he could get online easier with it.

The truth of the matter is that despite some solid pick up during the holidays (gift giving always helps), the PS3 has NOT made the strides it had needed to make to regain the support it lost through the early drought and garbage spewed from its maker's mouths. For every little positive step it takes, there ends up being a huge step back.

So many times we thought there'd be the one game to bring the system to light; so far most have only offered a flicker. I tell you this; if MGS4 really is coming to the 360, no force on earth sans Final Fantasy is going to save that deck. And even then, that's arguable.

Iroquois Pliskin
12-21-2007, 10:02 AM
mgs4 sounds like its not coming to the 360 at all. kojima [creator of the game] wont let it happen as long as hes still alive.

heybtbm
12-21-2007, 10:10 AM
mgs4 sounds like its not coming to the 360 at all. kojima [creator of the game] wont let it happen as long as hes still alive.

It's Konami's franchise, not Kojima's. They'll make the decision. Precedent has already been established. Capcom has shown that no matter how much your "top talent" bitches about porting a game, it all comes down to the bottom line.

Rob2600
12-21-2007, 10:39 AM
The biggest opponent for the system has been none other than Kaz, Jack Tretton's, and Ken Kutaragi's mouths. When you have that many lies and dumb comments come out of so many mouths, its hard for something to try and prove itself.

For the record, here are some of the stupid things Ken Kutaragi has said:

"As with the PS and PS2, we believe people who like games will, without question, purchase it."

"If you can have an amazing experience, we believe price is not a problem."

"If you consider the PlayStation 3 a toy, then yes, it is an expensive toy. However, it is more than a toy. It is a PlayStation 3 and it is the only PlayStation 3. I hope that those who understand this will gladly purchase it."

"PS3 is not a game machine. We've never once called it a game machine. With the PS3, our intentions have been to create a machine with supercomputer calculation capabilities for home entertainment."

"PS3 is for consumers to think to themselves, 'I will work more hours to buy one.' We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

"We're not going to equip PS3 with a hard drive by default, because no matter how much we put in it, it won't be enough. We've added a 2.5-inch hard drive bay so that users can equip hard drives, such as 80GB or 120GB, even though that's still not enough."

"I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architectís blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. Itís the same as that."

Regarding the PlayStation 3's price, Ken Kutaragi told Japan's IT Media "It's probably too cheap" in May 2006.

Regarding Xbox 360:

"Xbox 360 is more of an Xbox 1.5 than a next generation console."

Regarding the PSP:

"This is the design that we came up with. There may be people that complain about its usability, but that's something which users and game software developers will have to adapt to."

2nd is all the smoke and mirrors with FMV footage be sold off as in-game footage ... doctored screens and more.

This shouldn't surprise you. Sony has been doing that for over 12 years, starting with the PlayStation.

Oobgarm
12-21-2007, 10:47 AM
I think the last couple months have shown a bit of promise, but it's got a long ways to go.

Iroquois Pliskin
12-21-2007, 11:07 AM
It's Konami's franchise, not Kojima's. They'll make the decision. Precedent has already been established. Capcom has shown that no matter how much your "top talent" bitches about porting a game, it all comes down to the bottom line.

i don't know so far it seems like konami is just going to listen to whatever he says.

esquire
12-21-2007, 11:21 AM

I think you give the "Average Joe Consumer" a little more credit than they deserve if you actually believe that they know who the hell "Kaz, Jack Tretton, and Ken Kutaragi" are, or even care care what they have to say, let alone let that affect their decision as to whether or not they should buy a PS3.

Let's not kid ourselves, the number one reason why the PS3 did not sell well its first year was $$$$$$$. We've now seen the elimination of both of the launch systems, elimination of costly manufacturing, bundling the system with either a game or movie, and two price drops. Several friends and business associates of mine who are gamers, but not as ardent as those here on these boards are finally approaching me and asking if they should buy a PS3 and if so which one. Months ago, they would have not done so. I believe it is the price drop to $400 that has changed their minds.

exit
12-21-2007, 11:45 AM
When the PS3 first came out they would just sit in our stockroom, collecting dust until someone was brave enough to buy one. Now that the prices have dropped, better games have appeared and the price has dropped, I've noticed a huge pick-up in sales. Hell I picked up an 80gig for X-Mas, of course me having a 20% X-Mas store discount helps a bit as well.

In the long run, Sony saw what they needed to do (finally) and bit the bullet. It might not be enough to put them back on top, but maybe they'll be able to hold on with a slim chance of hope.

MachineGex
12-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Considering Sony went from first to last, I would be hard pressed to give it anything above a "C". Personally I would give it a C-/D+. Most people considered the PS2 and PSone to be "must have" systems, both of those systems really were the tops in both leagues. The PS3 just doesn't seem to be anywhere close to that yet.
D+

zemmix
12-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Well I just bought a white 40gb one. With the $ to yen conversion it was only $350 or so including the tax so thats not half bad. Got a white dualshock 3 and Gran Turismo prologue also. Other than that though there really aren`t any games I want for it. I would like to get a 360 but I won`t buy a system thats only going to last so long. Both my ps1 and ps2 still work and no doubt this ps3 will keep working for a long time as well.

jdc
12-27-2007, 12:44 PM
As a guy who buys every console, I love the PS3, I'm glad that I bought it and look forward to the future with it. I'm taking it on faith that like the two Playstations before it, it will also become the leader in this current new generation. There's nothing yet to prove otherwise. No-one here, that I know of, has an "inside" with Sony....and why would you have any reason to go against Sony's proven track record? Plenty of people want this system to fail simply because they want to see the giant fall for their own personal thrills. "yeah, fuck Sony, they're goin' down this time!!!" That makes no sense whatsoever.

exit
12-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Well I've spent the past few days with my 80gig and I am glad that I got one. It had a pretty disappointing launch and I agree with the low grades that it received, I would've been pretty pissed off too if I had gotten it at launch.

They may not be exclusives, but Assassins Creed and COD4 are great games, I borrowed AC from my friend and I haven't put it down since. I also picked up Folklore today (one of the reasons why I got a PS3) and I've already put a few good hours into it.

There are a few other games I'd like to get, but I'm going to hold off until I clear my plate first and so I finally get the Samsung LCD I've been wanting.

Magnum
12-28-2007, 07:45 PM
let me know when the exclusive library surpasses the 3DO

I'm not biased