PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought a PS3

Barbarianoutkast85
10-20-2007, 06:25 PM
I've had enough money in my bank account to buy one for probably two months now, but didnt want to shell out the cash. But I finally picked one up a few hours ago. I only bought Ninja Gaiden Sigma for it.
So I was wondering what everyones' favorite PS3 game's were, so maybe I could come up with an idea for what game to buy next. Thanks in advance.

Edit:
Now I just need to get broadband internet so I can play games online.

zektor
10-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Well, me being the Ridge Racer fan I am, I would recommend it. It really is a great racing game...if you are into the RR style of things that is..

Resistance goes without saying. You have Sigma already, which is a great game. I love Motorstorm too...awesome visuals.

Barbarianoutkast85
10-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Yea I really wanted Motorstorm, but I figured I'd be able to play Sigma more. Since you can only play a racing game so much. In response to Ridge Racer, I've only every actually played one RR game. That was for the PSP, and I liked it, so eventually I'll end up geting it.
Also I was wondering if the Baldurs Gate game was any good?

FAMOUS
10-20-2007, 07:09 PM
You playing it on an hdtv or a regular?

Barbarianoutkast85
10-20-2007, 08:44 PM

I have my Playstation 3 hooked up to a 52", widescreen, Sharp Aquos flat panel LCD TV.

The Great Dane
10-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Well, I don't have a PS3 YET. But, I plan on getting one by Christmas as my wife said that if I do well in my graduate classes she would get one for my Christmas gift :D.

Anyway, I personally suggest Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, unless you have the Xbox 360 version, that is.

Barbarianoutkast85
10-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Well, I don't have a PS3 YET. But, I plan on getting one by Christmas as my wife said that if I do well in my graduate classes she would get one for my Christmas gift :D.

Anyway, I personally suggest Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, unless you have the Xbox 360 version, that is.

When I was deciding what game I wanted it was a toss up between Ninja Gaiden or Elder Scrolls.

The Great Dane
10-20-2007, 09:28 PM
When I was deciding what game I wanted it was a toss up between Ninja Gaiden or Elder Scrolls.

I have only played just a small bit of the Xbox 360 version, and what little I played was awesome. One of the best games I have ever played. That is one of the main reasons why I am buying a PS3 (along with some exclusives).

studvicious
10-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Save up for Ratchet and Clank and Drake's Fortune.

Barbarianoutkast85
10-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Save up for Ratchet and Clank and Drake's Fortune.

Ratchet and Clank along with Devil May Cry were two big reason's I decided to pick one up now, before the holiday rush because who knows if I'd be able to get one.

The Great Dane
10-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Don't forget about Assasins Creed and Metal Gear Solid 4.

sonicteam
10-20-2007, 11:35 PM
dirt is pretty fun , as well as skate but those are available on 360 , i picked up my ps3 for the sole reason of playing killzone 2 when it comes out

Anthony1
10-21-2007, 04:27 AM

Actually the big question is.... Do you have a TV that will display 720p?

Because if it can't, like millions of 1080i/480p sets in existence, then a huge majority of PS3 games will look like crap, and you won't be able to understand what all the hoopla was all about. I happen to have a Sony HDTV in my living room that is a fantastic HDTV, a really good picture, but it's a 1080i/480p TV. Resistance and Motorstorm and Heavenly Sword look like ass on it, plain and simple. Why? Because all those games are native 720p, and the PS3 is the first device in the High Def era that doesn't have a 1 dollar scaling chip inside it. Luckily, more games are supporting 1080i now. Like Ratchet and Clank and supposedly Uncharted.

If you're TV can display 720p, then it's all gravy.

Personally, I would recommend Motorstorm. I wouldn't pay more than $35 for a used copy, but you should be able to find a used one on Craigslist for that much. I just think that game is fun, fun, fun.

Nintendo Gamer
10-21-2007, 02:57 PM

Hitman Tyler
10-21-2007, 03:29 PM
well i currently own 1 PS3 game that is Def Jam Icon. The reason i got it is because i own the other 2. An also it was on sale for 44.99.

I cant wait for better PS3 games though.

I recommend Resistance due to i played the demo and it cool as hell. i might buy this this.

flipflop711
10-22-2007, 12:33 PM
If I my PS3 isn't hooked to the internet and I'm playing it on an analog tv, I'm still getting my $600+ worth. My co-workers say no.

blissfulnoise
10-22-2007, 12:41 PM
50" LCD Television + PS3 + Dial-Up? Interesting set of priorities.

I've just gotta assume that broadband it's an option in your area.

FAMOUS
10-22-2007, 01:02 PM
I have my Playstation 3 hooked up to a 52", widescreen, Sharp Aquos flat panel LCD TV.

A very nice tv to use,id have the 360 hooked up also with 2 HDMI's! Drakes Fortune and motorstorm would be my buyers, when drakes fortune comes out..:o

WanganRunner
10-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Actually the big question is.... Do you have a TV that will display 720p?

Because if it can't, like millions of 1080i/480p sets in existence, then a huge majority of PS3 games will look like crap, and you won't be able to understand what all the hoopla was all about. I happen to have a Sony HDTV in my living room that is a fantastic HDTV, a really good picture, but it's a 1080i/480p TV. Resistance and Motorstorm and Heavenly Sword look like ass on it, plain and simple. Why? Because all those games are native 720p, and the PS3 is the first device in the High Def era that doesn't have a 1 dollar scaling chip inside it. Luckily, more games are supporting 1080i now. Like Ratchet and Clank and supposedly Uncharted.

If you're TV can display 720p, then it's all gravy.

Personally, I would recommend Motorstorm. I wouldn't pay more than $35 for a used copy, but you should be able to find a used one on Craigslist for that much. I just think that game is fun, fun, fun.

What if your TV supports 1080p? I thought all PS3 games display in native 1080p, is this not the case?

I think most 1080p TV's also support 720, but I could be wrong. I have yet to buy my HDTV, waiting until xmas bonus time.

mailman187666
10-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Virtua Fighter 5 is good but unfortunately it doesn't have online play. Its not a big deal to me because I'd normally get my ass kicked online but for most people it is. I suggest you do get Broadband though becuase PSN games are great. They even got a downloadable Symphony of the night that you can copy onto a PSP (if you have one).

Flack
10-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Another reason to go online is that you can download demos of a lot of these games. The demo for Skate and Motorstorm are both free to download. To tell you the truth I end up playing a lot of demos because they are free.

Right now the three games I'm playing the most are Motorstorm, Skate and Ghost Recon 2.

skylark
10-22-2007, 07:05 PM
I just picked up the 80 gig Motorstorm bundle along with a copy of Folklore. I guess I was thinking of the 360 Elite, but I assumed it came with the HDMI cable. I'm now stuck with standard AV until I get back to the store. In standard definition, Motorstorm just looks like a good Xbox title. Still seems like a great game. Haven't really had time to mess with the thing.

gum_drops
10-22-2007, 07:51 PM
I just picked up the 80 gig Motorstorm bundle along with a copy of Folklore. I guess I was thinking of the 360 Elite, but I assumed it came with the HDMI cable. I'm now stuck with standard AV until I get back to the store. In standard definition, Motorstorm just looks like a good Xbox title. Still seems like a great game. Haven't really had time to mess with the thing.

I am not sure what store you picked it up from, but be careful, stores like gamestop will try and hawk their gamestop brand hdmi cable for $59.99. It the same damn cable you can get on newegg or buy.com for $8.99.

skylark
10-22-2007, 08:25 PM
I am not sure what store you picked it up from, but be careful, stores like gamestop will try and hawk their gamestop brand hdmi cable for $59.99. It the same damn cable you can get on newegg or buy.com for $8.99.

Thanks, I'll check those places first.

UniHamachi
10-22-2007, 08:35 PM
I think most 1080p TV's also support 720, but I could be wrong. I have yet to buy my HDTV, waiting until xmas bonus time.
The rule of thumb is: if you have a CRT based HDTV (either RPTV or direct view), 720p wil have to downscale to 480p. If you have LCD, Plasma, or DLP/LCoS, those sets typically have scalers built in that will scale anything to the TV's native resolution (be it 720p or 1080p, or even 480p EDTV for older plasmas).

Because the PS3 does not have an internal scaler, any game that is native 720p cannot be scaled to 1080i and must be output at 480p.

HDMI cables can bought for under $10 all over the place online. There is NO difference between a $10 cable and a $90 cable -- well, except $80. Don't worry about gold plating and other bullshit -- it is digital, and will work or it won't. If your picture is not dropping out, you are at the limit of what any cable can do.

studvicious
10-23-2007, 12:17 AM
I thought all PS3 games display in native 1080p, is this not the case?

Not all games.

vegi-saurus
10-23-2007, 02:33 PM
I recommend Warhawk! But you need to get some hi-speedz internetz first. LOL