PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hate the classic games on XBLA?

PsychedelicShaman
10-21-2007, 03:30 AM
When I bought my 360, I spent $60 on the old classics that were available on xbox live. I really dislike them. The most notable being Joust. Joust is probably my favorite pre-NES game, but they pretty much botched it. Either the ostrich has a lead butt, or it's on super gravity. The amount of times you have to press a button to make him go up is way off. If the hands come up and grab me, I actually can't press the button fast enough to fly away. The other games are generally unsatisfying as well. Missile Command wasn't doing it for me. Galaga is OK.

Maybe if this was the only feasible way for me to play Joust, I would just be able to grin and bear it. But, I always feel like I should be playing the original. If anything, it justifies my classic gaming collection. Meh, if I get any other MS points, I will be spending them on new games and not the classics.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

SkiDragon
10-21-2007, 05:32 AM
Just from the demo's I've played, I can tell that the games are not worth the price. Besides the fact that I already own most of them, I am stuck using the 360s poor D-pad, and the games are emulated oddly. Apparently they are in HD, but I don't have an HDTV. Some of them have online multiplayer, which would be the only thing that would make me want some of them.

Sothy
10-21-2007, 10:17 AM
No problems with mine.
I dont have joust though.

swlovinist
10-21-2007, 10:23 AM
I usually ONLY buy the classics....if they dont suck. I got an Xbox point card on clearance, which i used to get joust for free. I would recommend Robotron 2084 and Pac-Man Championship Edition. Those dont suck.

Damaramu
10-21-2007, 10:24 AM
The only classic games I've purchased are Rush N Attack, Time Pilot, and Street Fighter II Turbo. Aside from the crummy d-pad on the wireless controller and the seemingly amped up amount of baddies on Rush N Attack, everything seem a-ok. I'm digging Time Pilot.

sisko
10-21-2007, 10:40 AM
I usually ONLY buy the classics....if they dont suck. I got an Xbox point card on clearance, which i used to get joust for free. I would recommend Robotron 2084 and Pac-Man Championship Edition. Those dont suck.

I would also definitely recommend PacMan CE. It is an entirely new game built in the classic style with a modern twist. Out of all of the demos I played, it is the only one I found that didn't suck.

Kid Ice
10-21-2007, 12:11 PM
IMO good: Paperboy, Robotron, Frogger, Scramble, Galaga, Double Dragon

IMO meh: Defender, Gyruss

IMO bad: Missile Command, Centipede/Millipede

Curious: why did you buy them?

otaku
10-21-2007, 12:21 PM
never got into xbox live arcade really dunno know why cause compared to VC it does have online (better pricing to usually) and HD graphics. I still prefer and play quite a bit of VC games on wii though

norkusa
10-21-2007, 12:22 PM
I like the ones I've purchased. Track & Field is probably my favorite. I have the DOA arcade stick though, so that definitely makes the games a lot easier to play.

IMO bad: Missile Command, Centipede/Millipede

I don't understand why these games keep getting ported to modern consoles. They're great classics but if you can't play them with a trackball, then they aren't worth playing at all.

Overbite
10-21-2007, 12:38 PM
How is it possible to hate Doom? Street Fighter 2? Marathon 2? Those games are classics!

Hell, Samurai Shodown 2 is coming out on live arcade and that game rocks!

edit: I forgot that Streets of Rage 2 is also on live. That one rocks too!

Fuzzball24
10-21-2007, 01:52 PM
TC is fucking around when he says Joust is bad. That game on XBLA just sucks. Atleast I got it for free.

BydoEmpire
10-21-2007, 02:01 PM
My 360 gets more time w/ XBLA titles than retail games. HOWEVER, I agree that some of the classic remakes I've played have been poor - Joust in particular. It doesn't feel right at all. That said, I thought Robotron was servicable, and the demo of Frogger seemed pretty fun, though I haven't put lots of time into it.

NEW XBLA games like Pac Man CE and Bomberman Live are where it's at, imho.

TurboGenesis
10-21-2007, 02:57 PM
I have the DOA arcade stick though, so that definitely makes the games a lot easier to play.

Having the arcade stick is the best way to bypass the horrible D+Pad on the 360 controller. XBLA games playability is improved 10 fold with the arcade stick.

On topic, I enjoy most of what I have got from the XBLA though Super Contra just feels clunky -- I never play the arcade game before, only the NES game. I also have to go with the original graphics on Super Contra because it look poor in enhanced graphics. Time Pilot is well done though with enhance graphics and sound is is great fun to play with my arcade stick too. Also Space Giraffe is my favorite game on the XBLA for original games and the price is great too 400pts($5). Space Giraffe plays well with the original controller as it use analog.

Nebagram
10-21-2007, 02:58 PM
There are some hits and some misses, same with everything, but IMO a lot more hits than misses. Pacman CE is absolutely essential buying, and the amount of time I've wasted on stuff like Robotron, Paperboy and regular Pacman is incalculable.

NE146
10-21-2007, 03:16 PM
I dunno but the flapping on Joust seems spot on to the actual arcade version to me. I'll have to try again for sure...

Kitsune Sniper
10-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Didn't Digital Eclipse port most of those games?

There's your problem.

diskoboy
10-21-2007, 03:24 PM
The only classic XBLA game that I think absolutely sucks, is Missile Command. It happens to be one of my favorie arcade games of all time. But Atari really botched the XBLA version. Even the Retro version has so many bugs, it's practically unplayable.

And the "Evolved" version should be called the "Devolved" version. The Atari VCS version of Missile Command is better than the Evolved version.

And I'm another person who cannot lavish enough praise on Pac-Man CE. It renewed my love of the franchise, and is the best Pac-Man game since Jr. Pac-man.

Leo_A
10-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Some of the XBLA classics are great, like it has the best home versions of Tapper and Time Pilot. Joust and the Atari releases aren't really indicative of the quality of most of the rest of the content.

Kid Ice
10-21-2007, 10:03 PM
And the "Evolved" version should be called the "Devolved" version. The Atari VCS version of Missile Command is better than the Evolved version.

I was thinking the same thing when norkusa made his comment about how the trakball games haven't been done well on modern consoles. Isn't it strange that the VCS has some of the better versions of Missile Command, Centipede, and Millipede? So it's not as if the games can't work without a trak ball (also I know the Jag and PSX versions of Missile Command have their fans).

LiquidPolicenaut
10-21-2007, 10:19 PM
I forgot that Streets of Rage 2 is also on live. That one rocks too!

'Tis not a bad game at all. It just isn't too pretty with the smoothed out graphics feature turned on. Some of the sounf=d effects are a bit oof as well, but overall, its still an absolute classic.

PsychedelicShaman
10-22-2007, 02:58 AM
Curious: why did you buy them?

I was hoping to get faithful ports of some classic games. My 360 is always hooked up, so it's more of a convenience thing. And the added bonus is playing them over xbox live.

Well, I have to say the two I was psyched about most when I saw the list were Joust and Missile Command; what I gather from this thread is that they are badly done, but there are some other good games out there. I think they may have just left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm going to give Pacman and Robotron a shot, and see how those go. Thanks guys!

--PS

NE146
10-22-2007, 10:21 AM
I think they may have just left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm going to give Pacman and Robotron a shot, and see how those go. Thanks guys!

Whoah there now, be careful. Not Pacman. But rather, Pacman C.E.

Big difference :)

PapaStu
10-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Oh god I LOVE PacMan C.E. It is probably my favorite XBL title.

I've got Dig Dug which is ok,(great because I got it on sale for 2 bucks or whatever it was) played Robotron in demo mode (which I really didn't care for all that much) and most all my other Live arcade games are much more modern. However TMNT 89 Arcade did not translate well to Arcade. Its even cheaper than it was back then if you can believe that.

Kid Ice
10-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Well this time instead of buying them just download the demos.

diskoboy
10-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Whoah there now, be careful. Not Pacman. But rather, Pacman C.E.

Big difference :)

Agreed... Definitely get Pac-Man CE over the regular Pac-Man.

I own a Pac-Man arcade game, and since CE came out, I barely play it, at all, anymore. The CE is the same old Paccy you've known and love, but the gameplay has been somewhat modernized, and it's a breath of fresh air, to the old-school 2-D, dot eating, franchise.

I've longsince gotten all the achievement points for the game, but I still play it constantly.

PsychedelicShaman
10-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Well this time instead of buying them just download the demos.

Haha, that was my flaw. My thoughts at the time were something like, "How could I go wrong with buying Joust and Missile Command?"

mailman187666
10-24-2007, 09:47 AM
I thought Doom, Double Dragon, and Gauntlet came out pretty good. Those are the only classic games I've downloaded. I played demos of a lot of other ones but when it came down to me paying $5 that I have the originals for already, I was like nahhhh.

neuropolitique
10-24-2007, 09:49 AM
The classic games that I've bought have been pretty good. In addition, they are the games I spent the most time with, including retail 360 purchases.

boatofcar
10-24-2007, 09:52 AM
I really enjoy Rally X.