PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft getting sued over Halo 3 malfunctioning?

kaedesdisciple
11-29-2007, 10:10 AM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071128-microsoft-hit-for-5-million-dollar-lawsuit-over-halo-3-compatibility-issues.html

I just don't get it.

"The suit alleges that Halo 3 "routinely, consistently, and systematically 'froze,' 'crashed,' or 'locked up.'" The suit then claims that these issues "disrupted game play," which, if these issues are as terrible or widespread as the suit alleges, is an understatement."

And this guy wants a $5 million class action judgment brought against Microsoft for it. Haven't Microsoft done enough yet to address their hardware issues? They extended their warranties and they finally re-engineered the system to try and prevent as many future RROD's as possible, both at great cost. Furthermore, IT'S A VIDEO GAME! This guy better not get $5 million for a game malfunctioning, that would just be abhorrent.

This lawsuit is completely frivolous and I hope the guy gets laughed out of court. Before anyone starts a war about defending/attacking Microsoft, the reason I am angry is the completely ridiculous nature of the lawsuit.

On a personal note, I have been playing Halo 3 since release on a system that doesn't have the "fixed" innards without any of these issues.

heybtbm
11-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Halo 3 is one of the few 360 games that's never locked up or froze on me. MS = "deep pockets". God, I hate lawyers.

Half Japanese
11-29-2007, 11:00 AM
I never had any problems with Halo 3 either, so I can't really see where this guy's coming from, or how a $5 million dollar lawsuit would help either's situations.

Now, if you could sue for Halo 3 being entirely underwhelming...

Pantechnicon
11-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Don't expect anything to come of this other than a brief flurry of press attention owing to the relative popularity of the specified terms i.e. - Microsoft and Halo.

So the plaintiff wants $5 million in damages and elevation of the suit to class-action status? ROFL It's got to be one or the other, you see. Taking the suit to class-action status is the fastest way for this pinhead to kiss that golden goose goodbye. If this goes to class-action and it wins, the best the plaintiff can hope for is a voucher for a free copy of the game. If the suit stays between him and Microsoft, it's probably going to be dismissed on the grounds, as kaedesdisciple noted, that MS has already initiated reasonable measures to correct the issue on behalf of everybody. I imagine they're probably already spending well in excess of $5 million to do so as well. There's no teeth at all to this.

God, I hate lawyers.

Well...urm, I'll tell my wife you said hello.

Seriously, I understand how you feel, but you should consider placing some, or most of the blame for this sort of thing at the feet of the regular people who hire the lawyers to initiate crap lawsuits like this in the wild hopes that they'll be able to build an instant retirement fund out of wasting the time and resources of both the courts and the corporations they're suing. I mean: for God's sake, when did playing Halo 3 without glitches become a matter of civil rights?

Alucard79
11-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Now, if you could sue for Halo 3 being entirely underwhelming...

Sign me up for that suit. On a side note, couldn't MS be fined for pimping the whore that is Halo as well? It's like a 60 dollar ho that you enjoy at the time, but looking back, it wasn't that great. And what's this burning sens...

Ryu3324
11-29-2007, 01:49 PM
This is quite rediculous.

OldSchoolGamer
11-29-2007, 03:17 PM
What's not to get kaedesdisciple? A massively popular and financially successful game + stupid greedy money grabber looking for a quick
cash grab = Frivolous Lawsuit, so what else is new? Just hope it turns around to bite them in the ass!

Joker T
11-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Halo 3 is one of the few 360 games that's never locked up or froze on me. MS = "deep pockets". God, I hate lawyers.

Same thing with me, Halo 3 has never froze on my 360.

DukeLuckyLuke
11-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Wait, so a guy bought something from Microsoft and expected it not to crash? How very silly of him.

kedawa
11-30-2007, 12:53 AM
Seriously, I understand how you feel, but you should consider placing some, or most of the blame for this sort of thing at the feet of the regular people who hire the lawyers to initiate crap lawsuits like this in the wild hopes that they'll be able to build an instant retirement fund out of wasting the time and resources of both the courts and the corporations they're suing. I mean: for God's sake, when did playing Halo 3 without glitches become a matter of civil rights?
Nobody forced the attorneys to take his case.
If more people got laughed out of law offices instead of courtrooms, maybe people would respect lawyers more.

diskoboy
11-30-2007, 06:36 PM
I love these idiots who think they even have a chance against Microsofts corporate lawyers. This guy is about to bring a world of hurt unto himself.

Hell - I bet even the lawyers turn an annual profit for MS.

The MS lawyers will eat this guy, any poor sap who signs on this sad excuse of a lawsuit, and his lawyer for breakfast.