PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Games - Have these women not heard of bras?

veronica_marsfan
12-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm playing MK - Deadly Alliance and watching Sonya's breasts bouncing around to ridiculous depths. Surely her tight, tight T-shirt would hold them in place? If not why doesn't she strap them down with some tight cloth?

Whip, whip, whip.

This makes Dead of Alive look tame. Silly. Course - the whole MKDA game is pretty bad. I just beat the game on my second try (using Makado and pressing A repeatedly).

Totally unbalanced.

Chuplayer
12-01-2007, 09:29 PM
I only play it for the fighting.

dcescott
12-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Since I am a boob man. I have no problem with the programmers exaggerating the bounce. No it does not give me a semi, but my friends and I get a good laugh! It's a video game, for entertainment purposes. Fun to be an idiot after a hard days work.

Cryomancer
12-01-2007, 10:18 PM
You should meet Taki. Protruding nipples in official art for the win.

Kitsune Sniper
12-01-2007, 10:40 PM

Hell. There's that AND cameltoe in the game.

RadiantSvgun
12-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Hell. There's that AND cameltoe in the game.

Really? I never noticed. Now KOF 94 and 95, heh...

ecresto
12-01-2007, 11:07 PM
some games need the bouncy breasts . i.e Rumble roses . if it wasnt for them the game would be awful . LOL

Gapporin
12-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Bras don't sell.

dlopez9069
12-01-2007, 11:41 PM
women dont wear bras and have horrible camletoe for the same reason almost every guy is shirtless and looks like a chip and dale because sex sells!! I'm not saying that you should get off to it but if it didn't rake a games sells go up DoA would never have sold as many copies as it did.

Tron 2.0
12-01-2007, 11:46 PM
I guess you can blame,SNK for starting the trend with mai in the kof serise :D

Wich did lead temco doing the same with doa now midway does it with mk !?

LOL isn't it while it's unrealistc i guess it's all about the fanservice.

Hwj_Chim
12-02-2007, 12:04 AM
I don't mind boobs that bounce in my games. As long as they got the game play right the boobs can bounce all day.

Kitsune Sniper
12-02-2007, 12:08 AM
some games need the bouncy breasts . i.e Rumble roses . if it wasnt for them the game would be awful . LOL

Nothing can save that horrid game. Not even rampant T&A.

Xizer
12-02-2007, 02:38 AM
Surely there's something better to whine about than good breast physics. :roll:

The Great Dane
12-02-2007, 02:47 AM

I have to second Taki. She is sure a nimble ninja character for being as large and bouncy as she is.

Aussie2B
12-02-2007, 03:03 AM
women dont wear bras and have horrible camletoe for the same reason almost every guy is shirtless and looks like a chip and dale because sex sells!!

Maybe if you're playing Golden Axe or something, but most games don't have shirtless guys. There is also a huge percentage of guys in games that aren't attractive at all. I mean, look at how often fighting games (and RPGs and you name it) have playable older men characters, but how many actually have older women? All that I can think of off the top of my head is Power Instinct, but that series also lets you see a little boy's family jewels so nothing normal is going on there. :P Also, it doesn't even have to apply to elderly women. The vast majority of female characters in games that are playable or have a significant role (that is, not random townspeople) cap off at 30. Male character fall into every range up to old and gray. To add insult to injury, games make the higher aged female characters out to be even older than they actually are. Heck, they get a few years into their 20s, and there are jokes of them being "old hags". In Valkyrie Profile, there was actually a playable female character that was in her upper 30s, which was a nice change of pace, but they ruined it by having her portrait, voice, and back story make her out to be much older than she was, as if she was 50 or 60.

Oh, and Xizer, I don't think "good" and "physics" should be placed in the same sentence there. :P You can call them "good breasts" or call it "breast physics," but considering the physics couldn't be farther from reality, there's nothing good or accurate about them.

Push Upstairs
12-02-2007, 03:15 AM
They would be good physics if gravity's only effect on breasts was to make them bounce.

Apply real world physics to anime and I bet the most popular person in Neo Tokyo/Feudal Japan/wherever would be a chiropractor.

veronica_marsfan
12-02-2007, 04:56 AM
Oh, and Xizer, I don't think "good" and "physics" should be placed in the same sentence there. :P You can call them "good breasts" or call it "breast physics," but considering the physics couldn't be farther from reality, there's nothing good or accurate about them.

'xactly.

The breasts in MKDA move like they are made of water, not fat and tissue. Real breasts don't bounce that much especially when contained inside a tight T-shirt (which hold them in place).

WiseSalesman
12-02-2007, 05:11 AM
I mean, look at how often fighting games (and RPGs and you name it) have playable older men characters, but how many actually have older women? All that I can think of off the top of my head is Power Instinct, but that series also lets you see a little boy's family jewels so nothing normal is going on there. :P Also, it doesn't even have to apply to elderly women. The vast majority of female characters in games that are playable or have a significant role (that is, not random townspeople) cap off at 30. Male character fall into every range up to old and gray.

As far as the age thing goes, it's true you don't see a lot of older female characters in fighting games, but I think it's semi-common to have extraordinarily young girls (like, 10 and under) in japanese-style fighting games, and you rarely see little boys, so maybe there's some weird correlation there.

Maybe if you're playing Golden Axe or something, but most games don't have shirtless guys. There is also a huge percentage of guys in games that aren't attractive at all.

Um ... what? Some of these guys from VF4 and Tekken 4 would like to have a word with you ...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/jratma/vf4_aou_screen014.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/jratma/vf4_aou_screen016.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/jratma/vf4_0314_screen027.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/jratma/popwins_tk4king1_5.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/jratma/popwins_tk4kaz1_2.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/jratma/popwins_tk4mlaw1_5.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/jratma/popwins_tk4mard1_5.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/jratma/popwins_tk4fox1_2.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/jratma/tk4_concept_jin.jpg

... and these are just the first two games that popped into my head when I thought "fighting games". I'm sure there would be more examples out there. Heihachi and Bryan are also shirtless in the Tekken games, but the official site didn't have picture and I didn't feel like wasting my time looking. All but two male characters in Tekken 4 are shirtless, and of the two that aren't, one's a ninja and the other's an army guy (i.e. they kind of need the outfit to fit the role). Please note, also, that everyone, regardless of age or frame, is diamond-cut with six-pack abs looking like they just walked out of the cast party of 300.

Believe me, I definitely agree that women are over-sexualized and portrayed unfairly in videogames. But lets be honest here, it does happen to the men, too. Just as our movie stars tend to be beautiful people, game characters are idealized. That's just the way it is.

Wolfrider31
12-02-2007, 10:55 AM
There is an argument there, and it's a simple fact in the history of art that human forms have always been idealized. But, and here's where I disagree with WiseSalesman, the difference is that though the male forms in video games may be idealized they are not sexualized. That's a subtle but telling difference, and its not just about fighting games but games in general. You never see men posing provacatively in games, but for women (especially in fighting games) that's usually their predominent role. And their sexuality is usually a large aspect of the character. Consider B. Orchid's flash finisher in Killer Instinct or Sonya Blade's Kiss of Death in Mortal Kombat. Or the entire cast of Dead or Alive.

I'd actually argue that Virtua Fighter (for the most part) strays from this with female characters that aren't overly sexualized. Most are fully clothed (especially when compared to the men) and when they aren't its generally not for reasons of sexuality (Vanessa is the most underdressed female fighter in VF, and its generally used to highlight her masculinity not femininity).

But it's a big issue in videogames, most female characters are not strong characters but are 2D cutouts with layers of sexuality layered on top. I don't think anyone would argue that Lara Croft is a "feminist" character, and even when you look at Final Fantasy characters like Rikku are almost non-existent beyond their skin.

However characters like Solid Snake (sure big muscley guy with skin tight clothing) may look "idealized" but that's never the crux of their character. As far as the guys you showed that are barely clothed, well yeah, but how many of them are designed to be attractive to females? I'm not sure, but among my female friends I don't think any of them find themselves fantasizing about Lei Fei. However, the hyper busty, thin, waif like, ultra cute female characters of stuff like DoA are definitely designed to be attractive to males.

It's infuriating to me as both a feminist and a prospective game designer who has many female friends and have had to watch some of them attempt to meet these ridiculous ideals that many (not all) males expect of them, with most of those ideals being delivered in media vehicles like television and video games.

Please, please, go get a girlfriend. Our industry will be better for it.

Oh, and while I'm at it, stop idolizing Itagaki. He's just a pervy kid who thinks he's a rockstar. (yeah, he bugs me)

josekortez
12-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Please, please, go get a girlfriend. Our industry will be better for it.

Even if we have one, which I do, I assume that we will still want to watch "perfect" women duking it out on a game system.

Wolfrider31
12-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Even if we have one, which I do, I assume that we will still want to watch "perfect" women duking it out on a game system.

I wasn't referring to anyone specifically in this forum. Just a general comment. But the thing is, these women aren't perfect they're are completely fictitious with unattainable bodies (in a literal sense, its not biologically possible - like the old male Greek statues that lacked specific areas of their spine in order to achieve an "ideal" look) . And there's a larger issue of manipulating this image of the female body for the pleasure of men (and perhaps affecting how they look at women and what they expect of beauty) not to mention a significant business issue. The market will never expand to include female gamers if this is the only types of females that they have to relate to.

josekortez
12-02-2007, 11:33 AM
I wasn't referring to anyone specifically in this forum. Just a general comment. But the thing is, these women aren't perfect they're are completely fictitious with unattainable bodies (in a literal sense, its not biologically possible - like the old male Greek statues that lacked specific areas of their spine in order to achieve an "ideal" look) . And there's a larger issue of manipulating this image of the female body for the pleasure of men (and perhaps affecting how they look at women and what they expect of beauty) not to mention a significant business issue. The market will never expand to include female gamers if this is the only types of females that they have to relate to.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I will admit my girlfriend doesn't look anything like the women in DOA or Soul Calibur. I don't think that a lot of women play those kinds of fighting games. If they're trying to reach the older women who seem to be more like casual gamers, I would imagine that they wouldn't find the Miis on Wii offensive at all since the women and men both have the same "weeble-wobble" body shape on the Mii characters...

walrusmonger
12-02-2007, 11:43 AM
"The market will never expand to include female gamers if this is the only types of females that they have to relate to."

When I worked at a game store for 5 horrible years, every female gamer buying a game for themself would buy either a puzzle game, an rpg or a platformer. If a female likes games, they'll play them no matter what the lead character looks like. My ex, who was a bigger gamer than I am, played everything under the sun and simply made fun of characters with crazy breasts.

Most "hardcore" gamer geeks sadly fall under the stereotype of either being scrawny and underweight, or overweight to obese. These gamers play all types- fit sports stars dont stop them from playing madden, muscles don't stop them from playing most action games.

While there is clearly a misrepresentation of women in video games, the exact same thing can be said for males. The reason why there are more male gamers than female is because gaming has just "boomed" to include all ages/sexes a few generations ago. Starting with PS1, it became "cool" and "popular" to play games, not just something for children and D&D freaks. As adult gamers have children, female children, the market will shift to more than a (made up stat) 85/15 breakdown.

josekortez
12-02-2007, 11:54 AM
walrusmonger, can you talk my girlfriend? She thinks that games should only be for children and she doesn't believe that people over 16 play games, contrary to market research. Once she tried to drag me out of a Gamestop when she thought I was taking too long. Sorry to go off-topic, but I shudder to think what will happen if we ever get close to the marriage stage. Right now, if I had to choose between her and my games, I'd have to choose the games...

walrusmonger
12-02-2007, 11:58 AM
If you pick games over your girlfriend, then it's time to dump the girl. There is no way in hell I would pick games (just a hobby) over someone that I had genuine love for. If you love your games, love as in... take a bullet/brave a fire/take out insurance, then maybe you have your reasons :)

The easiest way I think you could make your situation flow smoothly is to take your GF to the mall when you want to go to a game store, shop *with* her (women LOVE that) for a while, get your game when she's finished, then go home and enjoy your game while she enjoys her new clothes.

If she doesn't like shopping (which is possible), then only go game shopping without her, or dump her. She should be able to accept you for you and your hobbies. You shouldn't have to convince her that games are just as acceptable a form of entertainment as movies, books, music or sporting events.

The Great Dane
12-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah, before we got married, I told my fiance at the time that I was a huge gamer and I wasn't ever going to be changing that about myself. I wanted to let her know because some friends of mine have had their girlsfriends demand that they stop playing video games COMPLETELY.

She was 100% understanding about it, and after being together for just over 6 years and married for just over 3, she is still cool with my hobby. I collect video games, she collects purses. So, we each have our expensive hobbies :p

p_b
12-02-2007, 01:04 PM
A girlfriend who demands their friend to stop gaming completely should be dumped ASAP! If the girl in question wants me to reduce my gaming, fine. No gaming while with her? Ok. But to drop it altogether? What's next, I ask?

josekortez
12-02-2007, 01:11 PM
You guys are right but right now, she lives 100 miles away and I only see her every 2-3 weeks since I moved to take a new job. It may not last anyway.

I don't really expect to find a woman who is actually into games. I met one once that seemed interested but every time I called her for a date, she had scheduled time to play Final Fantasy XI online with her friends. I think she was worse than I was.

And yes, I met her in person, so I know it wasn't a dude who was pretending online. ;)

veronica_marsfan
12-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Please don't post hugh jass pictures.

Some of us are still using slow 50kbit/second dialup or 500 kbit/s DSL modems. Provide links to the pictures instead.

Thank ye.

The Great Dane
12-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Well, you probably won't ever find a girl that is a gamer (I say probably, since there obviously are some out there, just not as many as guys). But, at least make sure that the girl, whether the one you're with now or some other girl, respects that this is your hobby and its something that you enjoy.

Its like with my parents. My dad's favorite hobby is wordworking and carpentry. Its something he has always loved to do, and has since he was a kid. He loves to spend time out in his shop, and will sometimes be out there for hours building all kinds of things. My mom has always respected that he loves to do this, even if he is involved in something other than her.

The same thing applies to video gaming.

Aussie2B
12-02-2007, 01:56 PM
... and these are just the first two games that popped into my head when I thought "fighting games". I'm sure there would be more examples out there. Heihachi and Bryan are also shirtless in the Tekken games, but the official site didn't have picture and I didn't feel like wasting my time looking. All but two male characters in Tekken 4 are shirtless, and of the two that aren't, one's a ninja and the other's an army guy (i.e. they kind of need the outfit to fit the role). Please note, also, that everyone, regardless of age or frame, is diamond-cut with six-pack abs looking like they just walked out of the cast party of 300.

Believe me, I definitely agree that women are over-sexualized and portrayed unfairly in videogames. But lets be honest here, it does happen to the men, too. Just as our movie stars tend to be beautiful people, game characters are idealized. That's just the way it is.

Well, I think Wolfrider31 already summed it up pretty well.

I said "most", and that still holds true. Those games are the exception, not the norm, while it certainly is the norm for female characters in games to have large breasts and be at least slightly sexualized. I don't think those male characters are sexualized at all. I don't find any of them attractive in the slightest (in fact, some are the exact opposite), and, as a woman, it's very clear to me that they are designed with men in mind, not women. They're big and muscular because most men want to play as that strong, hero figure. They want to pretend to be Rambo or Conan the Barbarian, not some spindly nerd or fat couch potato. It also makes logical sense for the characters to be strong. If they're martial artists or what have you by profession, then of course they're going to be physically fit. For female characters, logic completely flies out the window. If women is some warrior going out to war, why is she in bikini armor and how does that protect much of anything? If a female character is some kind of physical fighter, why does she have huge breasts flopping around hindering her abilities? If these female characters truly did what they claim to do by profession, they would be more muscular, which would in turn reduce their body fat percentage, reducing the fat content and thus size of their breasts.

By the way, if you look at stuff like SNK's fighting games, out of a huge cast, you'll get maybe a couple shirtless characters, and you'll also get some male characters that are fat as well as some small guys that don't look muscular at all. If you look at their female characters, almost every single one has large breasts and is somewhat (all the way to extremely) sexualized.

The Great Dane
12-02-2007, 02:38 PM
The thing with women being over exploited the way that they are, is because men and young guys are the main demographic that buy video games. So, as the term goes, and was said already, "sex sells," unfortunately. Teenage boys want to see scantily clad "hot" women in video games, most do anyway.

I don't know how well it sold, but that DOA Beach Volleyball game I'm sure sold pretty decent. It wouldn't have sold at all if it was some ordinary looking girls playing. Unfortunately, this is how the world is.

So, unless there is a major change to our thinking, video games will always be this way.

Kid Fenris
12-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Guys, I just heard that women in video games have unrealistically huge breasts. Could someone please confirm or disprove this for me?

mercarian
12-02-2007, 03:08 PM
A lot of guys even in there 50's still play games and do models/puzzles. Its a regular thing. Maybe its best to keep your gf and "fun factor" seperate.

Wolfrider31
12-02-2007, 03:39 PM
The thing with women being over exploited the way that they are, is because men and young guys are the main demographic that buy video games. So, as the term goes, and was said already, "sex sells," unfortunately. Teenage boys want to see scantily clad "hot" women in video games, most do anyway.

I don't know how well it sold, but that DOA Beach Volleyball game I'm sure sold pretty decent. It wouldn't have sold at all if it was some ordinary looking girls playing. Unfortunately, this is how the world is.

So, unless there is a major change to our thinking, video games will always be this way.

It's interesting that you bring up DOA Beach Volleyball. I don't know what the sales numbers were, but if they were indeed high, then I think that as gamers we should all be worried about a trend like this. Barring the fact that - regardless of whether ones sexuality makes you want to look at scantily clad women - one should at least be concerned about what that is doing to the majority of the population (ie. women), if designers can attract men with terrible games as long as they have half naked women in them then that means wading through a lot of crap products. And I don't know about you, but that's not something I want to see happen.

And someone mentioned that women shouldn't be concerned about the characters and just accept games for what they are. Um. Raiden anyone? How many men absolutely DETESTED that game for the sole reason that they couldn't play as Snake and instead had to go through the game as a bleach blonde prom king (which, ironically, seems to at least be attractive to some women). Not to mention the scene where you have to run around as him in the *GASP* nude.

Later Final Fantasy games seem to have that issue as well. FFX got a lot of slack for having a male lead that appealed to women. People complained endlessly about the "pretty-boy" designs of Nomura. So lets see, women should sit back and shut up when they find character designs irritating/offensive but if men bitch then its a whole different story. Double standard ftw.

veronica_marsfan
12-02-2007, 04:39 PM
I always play as the woman character.
If I have to spend 40+ hours staring at
the screen, I want the image to look good.
walrusmonger, can you talk my girlfriend? She thinks that games should only be for children..

I suspect SHE displays a few characteristics that could be considered "childish". For example my niece (same age as me) sometimes rag on me for spending too much time watching TV shows or movies. Then I remind her:

- you have debt. I have $200,000. Which one of us is more immature (can't hang onto a dollar)?
- you drink 'til you pass out. I limit myself to 2 drinks. Which one of us is more immature (lacks self-control when it comes to liquor)?
- you ate so much turkey you threw up. I ate just one leg. Which one of us is more immature (no self-control)?

Your girlfriend probably has juvenile traits as well. Just give her a friendly nudge: "Yeah well, you can't _____ which is kinda childish. So I guess we're both still just children - just in different areas." (and laugh)

If she still persists, find a different person.
You shouldn't have to change your behavior
just because she's close-minded about games.

The Great Dane
12-02-2007, 05:29 PM
It's interesting that you bring up DOA Beach Volleyball. I don't know what the sales numbers were, but if they were indeed high, then I think that as gamers we should all be worried about a trend like this. Barring the fact that - regardless of whether ones sexuality makes you want to look at scantily clad women - one should at least be concerned about what that is doing to the majority of the population (ie. women), if designers can attract men with terrible games as long as they have half naked women in them then that means wading through a lot of crap products. And I don't know about you, but that's not something I want to see happen.

And someone mentioned that women shouldn't be concerned about the characters and just accept games for what they are. Um. Raiden anyone? How many men absolutely DETESTED that game for the sole reason that they couldn't play as Snake and instead had to go through the game as a bleach blonde prom king (which, ironically, seems to at least be attractive to some women). Not to mention the scene where you have to run around as him in the *GASP* nude.

Later Final Fantasy games seem to have that issue as well. FFX got a lot of slack for having a male lead that appealed to women. People complained endlessly about the "pretty-boy" designs of Nomura. So lets see, women should sit back and shut up when they find character designs irritating/offensive but if men bitch then its a whole different story. Double standard ftw.

I personally love Metal Gear Solid 2. I was a little upset that Snake wasn't playable except in the first small mission. But I still like Raiden.

Also, don't forget about some franchises that show strong women, as well as having a classy but sexy look. The first that comes to mind is Metroid. Samus is a bad ass woman, but she also isn't "ugly" or "manly" looking. And, as far as the player can tell, she isn't physically disproportionate. I would to see more games with women like her.

Chuplayer
12-02-2007, 05:53 PM
By the way, if you look at stuff like SNK's fighting games, out of a huge cast, you'll get maybe a couple shirtless characters, and you'll also get some male characters that are fat as well as some small guys that don't look muscular at all. If you look at their female characters, almost every single one has large breasts and is somewhat (all the way to extremely) sexualized.

King's a man! Oh, wait...

Yuri, despite wearing tight pants, isn't overflowing with sexuality.

Leona, despite the shorts, is tough as hell.

Kasumi Todo is one of my favorite characters, and she's not sexualized at all.

Hotaru's just plain cute.

B. Jenet, well, okay. She's sexualized, but if Johnny Depp can wear eyeliner, this pirate chick can be as sexualized as she wants.

And then there's Mai, Shermie, Athena, that Sumo girl who first appeared in 99 or 2000, Blue Mary, and, um... there must be more. I think Mai and Blue Mary are the only ones who have noticeably bouncy breasts.

So, the list of sexualized female characters compared to the list of nonsexualized female characters is more or less even.

And then there are the effiminate male characters, especially from the past two KOFs. The sub-boss with the stabby weapon from KOFXI is a dude, believe it or not.

But I'll just continue with my rotating team of Terry, Mai, Joe, and Lucky, depending on the year. Joe moons in 98, too. I did it to a friend of mine, and he got grossed the fuck out.

snes_collector
12-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Fighting Games - Have these women not heard of bras?

It's the medical bills my friend. Most characters in fighting games can't affort any nice close(ex. charcters with ripped clothes, "bra-less" women, etc.) due to the high cost of medicine and the fact the aren't coved with insurence.

Riiiiiiiight

TheDomesticInstitution
12-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa... What's a girlfriend?

RegSNES
12-02-2007, 07:51 PM
"She kicks high." But man, KOF was soooo ahead of it's time. Bouncing boobies in what, '94? Of coruse I admire Mai for her skills as a fighter. Honest.

I rememeber seeing the original DOA years ago in GameStop. Someone set it on breast mode. Even as a teenager, I had no idea breasts could do those kinds of... things.

RegSNES
12-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa... What's a girlfriend?

Kinda like another bill.

digitalpress
12-02-2007, 08:57 PM
For example my niece (same age as me) sometimes rag on me for spending too much time watching TV shows or movies. Then I remind her:

- you have debt. I have $200,000. Which one of us is more immature (can't hang onto a dollar)?
- you drink 'til you pass out. I limit myself to 2 drinks. Which one of us is more immature (lacks self-control when it comes to liquor)?
- you ate so much turkey you threw up. I ate just one leg. Which one of us is more immature (no self-control)?

Can I have your niece's phone number?

PS enjoy life.

Push Upstairs
12-03-2007, 02:31 AM
My GF said (about DOA VB in particular) something like

"If you're gonna do breasts, might as well go all out."

Frankie_Says_Relax
12-03-2007, 02:34 AM
The problem is one of in-game "physics".

The developers spent millions of man-hours on developing "breast physics" ... but they forgot to develop "bra physics"!

Victoria's Secret Inc. has teams of programmers working in under-ground labs on update patches for all bouncing-boob-related-games as we speak.

Icarus Moonsight
12-03-2007, 05:36 AM
The breasts in MKDA move like they are made of water...
Maybe Midway is trying to tell you that Sonja has saline implants.

fishsandwich
12-03-2007, 02:19 PM
women dont wear bras and have horrible camletoe for the same reason almost every guy is shirtless and looks like a chip and dale because sex sells!!

You do know that "Chip and Dale" are a couple of chipmonks, right? Chip n' Dale appeared in a couple of NES games and I think they were in Kingdon Hearts but I don't remember thinking they were sexy or getting a woody or anything.

I believe you mean "Chippendale"

Icarus Moonsight
12-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Fish your libido is on the fritz cause I get ragin' wood watching Rescue Rangers. Dale and his hawaiian shirts... *drool*

MonoTekETeA
12-03-2007, 11:10 PM
... if designers can attract men with terrible games as long as they have half naked women in them then that means wading through a lot of crap products. And I don't know about you, but that's not something I want to see happen.

Isn't this a strong percentage in the Japanese market?

WiseSalesman
12-04-2007, 06:22 AM
Those games are the exception, not the norm

I still don't believe that's the case. Those were literally the first two fighting games I could think of (since a fighting game was what was mentioned in the OP), and I'm pretty sure that other games would have shirtless men as well. In any case, I really don't have the time to track down more screen shots, so I'll just let it go.

Suffice to say, after six-years of being force-fed college-level feminist literature, I haven't been a feminist like Wolfrider in several years. Instead, I believe in equality between the genders. If you believe that there is an inequality here, then I applaud you for standing up for what you believe in.

As for me, I continue to simply see traits that are popularly attractive (strength in men, sexuality in women) idealized to the extreme, just like in any other media, dating all the way back to classic art. I can't say it bothers me and, to be honest, I don't really understand why it bothers anyone else, either. You think Kasumi's (DOA) physique and ridiculous physics make her out to be a helpless victim? Then pick up a controller and help her kick ass. Videogames are all about making what you want to happen happen.

Oh, and if someone is for some reason looking for a fighting game that offers a multitude of body-types and non-sexualized characters, may I recommend Tobal No.1 and 2?

Wolfrider31
12-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Suffice to say, after six-years of being force-fed college-level feminist literature, I haven't been a feminist like Wolfrider in several years. Instead, I believe in equality between the genders. If you believe that there is an inequality here, then I applaud you for standing up for what you believe in.

Actually I agree with you there. It's unfortunate too, because I think University absolutely destroys feminism. I'm sure there are decent classes out there, but the amount of misandry passed off as feminism is unfortunate. Especially when you're like me and identify with it, it's really difficult to maintain that position when every misty eyed women's studies student is convinced that she now knows how the world is and that it's all a product of the evil patriarchy (which is the greatest villain an ideology has ever come up with). I've been failed on papers for taking counter positions, yelled at (in a literal sense) by "feminists" (notice the quotes) for being a misogynist at a gender conference that I was on the ORGANIZING committee for simply because I dared used facts to dispel an erroneous assumption. Not to mention that "gender studies" never involves men (and there are loads of male centered inequality issues) .

But that's the Academy in general, it's prepackaged politics passed off as education. People are much better off just getting the piece of paper that says your smart, and then spending a few days delivering unto yourself some blunt head trauma to forget it all and then relearning everything without bias.