PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or do all PS3 games have a “hazy” look to them?

smokehouse
12-02-2007, 11:09 AM
I noticed this when they first started releasing pics of PS3 games before launch. All PS3 games have this funny hazy almost foggy’ish out-of-focus look to them. I really noticed this playing one last weekend...

Is it the graphics engine?

Am I the only one to notice this?

I know all consoles have a "look" to them that makes them instantly recognizable, by saying this quite often you can tell the difference between SNES-Genesis, PS1-N64, XBox-GameCube-PS2, Wii-360-PS3 etc...

Is this the signature "look" of PS3 games?

RyanMurf
12-02-2007, 11:12 AM
yes I know what you are saying. They do have that look to them. I think that is just how the graphics on the ps3 are. I guess it would also depend on what kind of TV you have.

smokehouse
12-02-2007, 11:13 AM
yes I know what you are saying. They do have that look to them. I think that is just how the graphics on the ps3 are. I guess it would also depend on what kind of TV you have.

It's not a bad thing...it's just a "look" that stands out...

walrusmonger
12-02-2007, 11:55 AM
It's Sony. PS1's "look" carried over to the PS2 and the PSP. I don't see it as much on the PS3, but it's probably there if you notice it.

**EDIT**

You know what, I answered without thinking about what I have for PS3. All of the high exclusives have the look. I don't really notice it on the 3rd party games, but Resistance/Motorstorm/Heavenly Sword/White Knight (from gameplay vid) all have that look.

I personally love the look, probably due to nostalgia though :-\

c0ldb33r
12-02-2007, 12:33 PM
It's probably because I don't have a ps3, but I have NO idea what you're talking about.

I've always found ps3 graphics to look the same as xbox 360.

Can you describe what you mean by hazy?

Juganawt
12-02-2007, 02:40 PM
I think it's a graphics card issue. Games like Uncharted, VF5, and even Super Stardust HD don't have it (at least not to the same degree), yet every game that's been ported from another system does.

It might be like PS2, where you could only get games at first in Flickery-Jaggy flavour, but then progressed to Who-Smeared-Blurry-Shit-Over-My-TV flavour, before finally settling down to Acceptable flavour about 3 years after the machine came out and people knew how to get stuff working properly.

Basically, good development teams can get around the issue, but people porting games usually won't bother ,So it's just MOST PS3 games that have it right now, but not all of them.

Frankie_Says_Relax
12-02-2007, 02:56 PM
I run my PS3 on an HDMI at 1080p on a Panasonic LCD setup ... I haven't noticed a "foggy" look ... even on the games that run 720.

Maybe this look has something to do with running the system through composite or component cables?

Borman
12-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Seriously, I have no idea what the OP is talking about. Theres absolutely no foggy look to either the 360 or the PS3. The games are all quite crisp, overly so in some cases. Dont run the game on a 10 year old CRT, or for that matter, a nice HD CRT that isnt calibrated properly and youll see that the games dont have some hazy or foggy look at all.

EX-Soldier
12-02-2007, 03:23 PM
wtf? i have no clue what the tc means, im gonna need an example to compare

smokehouse
12-02-2007, 04:24 PM
First and foremost…I don’t own a PS3 so I’ve only played them on HD in store displays…second, I’m not some moron who fell off the turnip truck yesterday…As a matter of fact I happen to be an ISF technician so I do know a thing or two about display quality…or else I wouldn’t charge $400 for calibrate displays. Lastly, please don't insult my intelligence with comments like "Dont run the game on a 10 year old CRT"

With that aside I’ve decided to appease the argumentative fanboys and post some pics of what I’m talking about…everything has a “sheen” or haze to it in many of the games…here’s shots ripped right from IGN (not altered in any way...):

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/metal.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/assassins.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/metal_2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/RE5.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/resistance_2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/resistance_1.jpg

Why does ANY comments other than "I love the xxx game/system!!!! It's the best!!!!!!!" get negative remarks thrown at the OP?

digitalpress
12-02-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't see any "negative" responses here, just a few honest answers to your question. You did ASK a question, didn't you?

By the way, I don't see anything "hazy" either, even in your pictures.

You did choose a lot of unCOLORful pictures, could that be the issue? A lot of these games are meant to be dark, gritty, post-apocalyptic... maybe all of that smoke and sand is what makes the games look hazy to you. For what it's worth, they look the same on the 360. I'd suggest playing something colorful. A racing game, for example. Even the foul Sonic game, just for some perspective.

DeputyMoniker
12-02-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm not sure if I see what you're talking about. Those screenshots look a little too shiny to me if that's what you're talking about. Maybe it's just the polished look they're going for. IDK but I don't see any haze.
Damn, those are some pretty shots.

Frankie_Says_Relax
12-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Ummmmm....I wasn't being "argumentative".

I was simply stating my personal experience with my own hardware.

I also run my 360, Wii, PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, and pretty much every other system back to and including Atari 2600 on it ... and I don't see a "fog", "haze" or "sheen" on any PS3 titles that I play.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, but, aren't you asking a question? Don't you want opinions and/or answers?

I don't think ANYBODY was trying to insult your intelligence, again, I could be wrong, but, if you ask a question on a forum ... you should expect a myriad of varying answers - including "I don't see what you're talking about."

As far as those pictures go - I don't really see any "fog" on the posted pictures.

The RE5 picture in particular looks particularly clear and "sheen free" to me (and whether or not the build of that game is even running on full PS3 rendering hardware at this point in development is debatable)

... and some of the other games I would imagine are supposed to have a mid-air "mist" effect - IE, rendered particulate matter hanging in the air - it's utilized heavily in Assassin's Creed.

smokehouse
12-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Here, perhaps these will better prove my point. Look at the light reflection off of the cars…especially the white and yellow vehicles…it’s a sort of “sheen” that many of these games have, almost blurry…

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/GT_1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/GT_2.jpg

It’s not a bad thing, it’s just a look the PS3 has…

digitalpress
12-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Confirmed, I'm definitely missing your point. The top one looks kinda blah like the others you posted but the second finally has color and looks really nice. What game is that, GT4? I want it. Sorry.

smokehouse
12-02-2007, 04:56 PM
OK……..

I thought those were pretty obvious but here…let me outline it in RED for you…

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/GT_3.jpg

I’m not sure how much more specific I can get here…

I could fly to your home and point it out personally I guess…:)

Borman
12-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Youre circling reflections. I dont see the point

smokehouse
12-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Never mind...why in the holy fuck do I even come in the modern gaming forum anymore...

all too often it's like a bunch of monkeys throwing shit at each other...

digitalpress
12-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Never mind...why in the holy fuck do I even come in the modern gaming forum anymore...

all too often it's like a bunch of monkeys throwing shit at each other...

Dude what is your problem? You asked "is it just me"... and despite your most detailed observations it seems to be just you, so therefore all of the forums are now a bunch of monkeys?

SUCK A DICK.

DeputyMoniker
12-02-2007, 05:06 PM
I see. I think that's an intentional effect. It makes it look brighter. During the game play, you'll be looking at the road, not the car. Calm down though. I think you were expecting people to flame you, they didn't but you're reacting as if they did. (I can see how you'd get a little fired up over the "10 year old CRT" comment. I'm not saying he was trying to insult you but I can see how you'd take it that way.)

smokehouse
12-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Dude what is your problem? You asked "is it just me"... and despite your most detailed observations it seems to be just you, so therefore all of the forums are now a bunch of monkeys?

SUCK A DICK.

Real nice...

Way to be a cut above the rest there Mr. site owner...

I'm sure I'll get banned for that but I don't recall throwing personal insults ant any one person...that comment was uncalled for.

G-Boobie
12-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Just you bro.

digitalpress
12-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Who ever said I was a cut above anyone, I'm a gamer like everyone else, with eyes like everyone else. I was trying to be objective, answered honestly but in your opinion I'm a shit-throwing monkey.

So yeah, SUCK A DICK.

b0ub0u
12-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi there,

This "haze" you are talking about is just an effect called HDR.

High dynamic range

DeputyMoniker
12-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi there,

High dynamic range

Holy shit. I just looked that up and you're right. Weird questions like this never get such a good answer. High five!!

From wiki:
High dynamic range rendering (HDRR or HDR Rendering), also known as high dynamic range lighting, is the rendering of 3D computer graphics scenes by using lighting calculations done in a larger dynamic range. Video games and computer generated movies benefit from this as it creates more realistic scenes than with the previous lighting model (referred to as "low dynamic range lighting" or "standard lighting").
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/DeputyMoniker/Farcryhdr.jpg

Matt-El
12-02-2007, 05:18 PM
It's really not that big a deal. 360 games did this and still do. It give a good effect, but when overused, it makes the picture look bleached out and probably just used to cover flaws in the graphics IMO.

Oh yeah, and I think you're all cut above the rest, so quit fucking around :) (I don't even know what the fuck I just said there)

smokehouse
12-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Hi there,

High dynamic range

B-I-N-G-O...

Thanks for the reply...that's exactly what I'm talking about...

iamchris
12-02-2007, 05:25 PM
There is nothing noticeable about the tires. Thats a reflection on the yellow car. As far as the trees, you know how when you try to look at things really far away and it can be kind of blurry...

Heres the thing. You need to actually go outside on a sunny day once in awhile, and look at how light affects things in real life. You'll be amazed.

Anthony1
12-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Actually, I think all PS3 games have a certain look to them, but I wouldn't describe it as Haze. It's more of a weird look around the outline of characters and objects. I don't notice it quite as much as 360 games. Also, the PS3 doesn't seem quite as colorful to me. Don't get it twisted, it can put alot of colors onscreen, but the colors seem a bit muted and don't have that "pop" that I'm used to with 360 games.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the PS3's graphical abilities, and these are minor nit picking points that really aren't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

DeputyMoniker
12-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Xizer should be here for this conversation. We don't usually get all riled up like this without him.

b0ub0u
12-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Also one other thing,

Keep in mind that the gamma levels on the PS3 are NOT the same as on the 360, this means that all games on PS3 are "brighter" than it's 360 version.

So that may also account for the difference you see...

But the things you pointed on this screenshots are really just HDR. Check in Halo3, Oblivion, Forza 2 etc... it's an effect that is sometimes over used.

Stephane

Matt-El
12-02-2007, 05:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/Matt-El/poster28889505.jpg

smokehouse
12-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Like I said earlier...this isn't a complaint type of thing..it doesn't bother me, I just noticed it.

The HDR thing is exactly what I noticed...I just didn't know how to fully explain it.

Rob2600
12-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Smokehouse, what you're seeing is a combination of several lighting effects: light bloom, high dynamic range rendering, and backlighting (specifically, rim lighting).

Those effects, when used properly, make graphics look more realistic. However, just like with any other special effect, they can be overused. Remember in the late 1990s, every game featured tons of lens flares?

More info:

"Bloom (sometimes referred to as light bloom) is a computer graphics effect used in computer games and high dynamic range rendering (HDR) to reproduce an imaging artifact of real-world cameras. The effect produces fringes (or feathers) of light around very bright objects in an image."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_lighting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_rendering

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backlighting_(lighting_design)

Juganawt
12-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Ok, after seeing his pictures describing what he sees, he's talking about something completely different to what I was describing. I didn't realise he was talking about after effects like HDR. I thought he meant the way the textures were displayed, as evident in RR7 and COD3 & 4...with that kind of blurred hazy texture and faded colouring.

If I knew he was talking about simple HDR lighting, I would have called him a silly goose, and told him that ALL next gen systems have it - PC, 360 AND PS3.

Rob2600
12-02-2007, 06:48 PM
If I knew he was talking about simple HDR lighting, I would have called him a silly goose, and told him that ALL next gen systems have it - PC, 360 AND PS3.

Actually, developers started using those lighting effects last generation. GameCube games like Burnout 2: Point of Impact, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader, and Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike come to mind.

smokehouse
12-02-2007, 06:49 PM

I don't keep up on modern consoles and their effects...it was just an observation...

....And other than the Wii I do not yet have a next-gen console...

With that said...I will be getting a PS3 down the road eventually if only for the Blu Ray playback...I can't ever see myself getting a 360 however...

mailman187666
12-03-2007, 09:33 AM
In earlier 360 games I noticed it a lot more (Kameo, PD Zero) but don't notice it as much in later titles (Eternal Sonata)

I think both systems, depending on the game, have this look to it for added effect. Have you played Mass Effect for 360? that game has a different "look" to it where it kind of looks grainy (on my TV anyways). I think just certain games use certain effects for mood setting. Check out some of the PSN downloadable games like Stardust HD. It doesn't really have any of those kinds of looks to them. Then again those are a bit simpler all together visuals and whatnot.

Daria
12-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Mass Effect has a weird setting for grain. You can turn it off in the options and the picture quaility will look alot better. I also don't see why a cell-shaded game like Eternal Sonata would have a big a use for realistic lighting effects.