PDA

View Full Version : Questions About the R4 and Other Flash Carts

rurouni318
12-03-2007, 07:23 PM
I have a couple of questions about the R4 and some flash carts. I have been wanting to a DS flash cart for awhile and now with the release of the R4, it seems like this might be the best time for me to jump in. It looks like the most user-friendly DS flash cart so far but it also seems like it is the most efficient from the review that I saw from the GBAtemp forum. I was just wondering how easy it is to use for someone who has not messed around with any flash carts before.

I saw a couple of places that were selling the R4 and on Gameyeeeah they have two bundles that caught my eye, one was the R4 and the EZ Flash 3-in-1. While the other one was the R4, the M3 Perfect Lite, and a 1GB TF card. And I was wondering which one I should get, I want to be able to play GBA games along with my DS games. The EZ flash looks like it might be the best one to get for the built-in memory.

Since I want to be able to mess around with both GBA and DS games with a flash cart I was just wondering which one would be best one to get. They both had pretty good reviews from GBAtemp, and I just wanted to see what people thought of each. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Oh yea, has anyone ordered anything from Gameyeeeah before? The site looks a little shady so I'm a little hesitant to order from there. I'm only looking there because of the bundles I saw.

Here are the links for the two bundles I was talking about.

(R4 and EZ 3-in-1)
http://www.gameyeeeah.com/r4-r4ds-ez-in-expansion-pack-black-p-277.html

(R4, M3, and 1GB card)
http://www.gameyeeeah.com/r4-ds-r4ds-m3-perfect-lite-kingston-tf-1gb-card-p-239.html

Juganawt
12-04-2007, 03:31 AM
The problem with the EZ flash, is you have to effectively waste space on your micro SD card, and takes a while to unpack games.

The R4 stores the games, then the EZ flash flashes the games as you load them, which can take a little while. Then when you want to play another game, you have to flash it again, wait for it to load, then play.

I'd suggest getting an R4 for the DS to put in slot 1, and a Supercard Mini SD in slot 2 for your GBA games. That way you can have 1 card filled with DS stuff, and a seperate card filled with GBA games. No flashing, no waiting, and more than one GBA game available at any one time. Also, the Supercard Mini SD has built in NES, PC Engine, and Master System emulation, so you can put those games on the Mini SD and play them without any extras required.

Jorpho
12-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Something I've been wondering: When I use the GBA loader from the R4, I get this annoying blue border around the GBA screen. Is there a way to turn that off?

And there's still not that much that uses the RAM expansion or rumble pack, is there? I've only heard of the Web browser and DS Linux using the RAM.

norkusa
12-04-2007, 11:23 AM
I had a M3 Perfect Lite but got rid of it after a couple weeks. Didn't like it because you had to patch every single GBA game on the computer first before playing so it'd save properly. I couldn't figure out how the patching software worked so I got frustrated and sold it. I guess all Slot 2 carts make you patch the GBA roms before playing though, right?

Poofta!
12-04-2007, 07:38 PM
are you guys effectively talking about how best to pirate new ds games? wtf?

Jorpho
12-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Nah, you can run homebrew and emulators and media players and all kinds of other things on it. Or use it to conveniently carry around a copy of all the software you legally own rather than trying to juggle a bunch of carts.

roushimsx
12-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Or use it to conveniently carry around a copy of all the software you legally own rather than trying to juggle a bunch of carts.

This is the primary reason we picked one up. We don't travel as often as we used to, but when we do we like to bring along some in-flight entertainment and juggling through multiple carts in a bag can just go fuck itself. Imagine the annoyance of having to reach around your tv to disconnect a SNES to hook up a genesis whenever you wanted to play Sonic instead of Mario. It's about that god damn annoying when you're kickin' it in coach and trying to fish for your copy of Phoenix Wright because you don't feel like playing Nintendogs at that point in time.

Not exactly legal, but I'll be damned if it isn't convenient as all get out.

A super awesome side effect is the ability to back up save games. I don't know if anyone else is as compulsive about this as I am, but I love archiving my save games.

stuffedmonkey
12-04-2007, 08:37 PM
are you guys effectively talking about how best to pirate new ds games? wtf?

"Yo ho ho ho a pirate's life for me...."

Sweater Fish Deluxe
12-04-2007, 08:52 PM
I agree with Juganawt about the EZ-Flash 3-in-1. I prefer a full stand-alone GBA flash cart for slot-2 since I play GBA games a lot and don't feel like dealing with the extra bother of the 3-in-1 and the loader and all. If you don't think you'll play many GBA games, then the 3-in-1 is probably a good choice. If you decide you want a full slot-2 flash cart, the M3 Perfect is a good one, but it's also bloody expensive. The EZ-Flash IV Lite Deluxe (EDIT: I originally said "EZ-Flash IV Lite Compact," but that was a mistake--the "Compact" actually removes the onboard memory to save on costs, but that also kills the GBA compatibility; same goes for the M3 Professional and Supercard Rumble, stay away from all of those) offers about the same features as the M3 Perfect for like half the price. I don't recommend Supercard slot-2 devices since they have issues with slowdown in GBA games.

I also don't think the R4 is the best slot-1, for that matter. The CycloDS Evolution, Supercard DS ONE and probably the M3 Real (though that's a pretty recent release, so I don't know much about it) are all better cards in my opinion, though they're also all more expensive than an R4 and the R4 will probably do everything you want anyway, so don't worry too much about what I say, I guess.

Have fun with your new toy. And seriously, I hope you plan to use it for more than just piracy because while I'm not against piracy or anything, the fact is the DS has one of the best homebrew development scenes ever and there's some amazing cool homebrew games for the DS. I'm playing homebrews or emulators on my DS about 85% of the time these days. Who's got time for piracy?

...word is bondage...