PDA

View Full Version : Howie's Game Shack

Trebuken
12-06-2007, 05:34 PM
In the most recent Maximum PC an addendum called 'the Way', which seems to be nVidia gaming advertising, there appears an article about Howie's Game Shack. It is located in Mission Viejo California (and another location in Westminster).

It is a pay for play LAN operation. I have never seen this done successfully but what I am reading in the mag and online suggests this may become very successful. I hope for the days that we would have some Korean style gaming outlets, could this be it?

Has anyone been? I do not live anywhere near but they are promising significant expansion over the next couple of years, starting on the West Coast. I live near Columbus, OH so I think there is a chance my city could eventually see one...

WiseSalesman
12-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Those used to open (and fail) by me all the time. I would be nothing short of shocked if somehow these succeed, considering home broadband is becoming more and more common.

cyberfluxor
12-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Well, a lot of local comic and role playing stores have added little game rooms in the back for LAN parties. They aren't cheap to rent out often so they're more of a special occasion deal or if you know nothing about network gaming. The other option is you can rent out a space to play a next gen console for up to so many people with a good price tag. Most places prefer the console route since they're easier to deal with and they can sell the console later along with any games they play. It's actually like a decent advertising plot.

Poofta!
12-07-2007, 12:05 AM
WOW. this must be a regional thing, cause omg there are dozens of these in NYC. and about 3-5 years ago, there were hundreds (before everyone and their mom had broadband in nyc). they are all very successful (these days).

they charge usually 2-4 dollars an hour with all day specials (10-20$). prices depend on location only. all have very comfy chairs with great pc gaming rigs and all of todays newest and coolest multiplayer games, as well as the old classics (CS...).

these places dont belong to a franchise or anything, just solo operations. very popular for after school gaming and just a group of friends getting together to blow each other up while still being able to scream at each other and talk about nonsense without the use of a stupid mic. these places sell snacks and drinks and always have very chill atmospheres with great people running the thing.

a lot of these are located in nyc's chinatown, but it isnt exclusive to there, there are plenty in brooklyn and probably quiet a bit in queens as well.

Trebuken
12-07-2007, 03:39 PM
What I found interesting about Howie's here is that they have over 200 PC's with nVidia 8600 GT's in them. Broadband is great, but there is zero latency (or so) in these LAN centers. You get a level playing field.

They also seem to organize competitions against their other location which would expand with more locations. Sounds like this 'franchise' would have many benefits that individual locations would not.

Bojay1997
12-07-2007, 06:51 PM
I was wondering what that was. I assumed it was just an arcade/restaurant like Dave & Busters when I drove by. It's right off the 5 Freeway in Mission Viejo. There is also a Bristol Farms and a movie theater in the same complex. I will have to stop in to check it out. We have had lots of strip mall style LAN gaming centers in SoCal over the years, but I don't know of any that have really survived long term.

PapaStu
12-07-2007, 09:34 PM
You know our very own DigitalPress games has its own LAN center in it. /me waits for Joe to see the thread and respond.

I know that the LAN center in Sean Kelly's store always has a bunch of kids in it playing CounterStrike, Warcraft, Diablo and the like.

kainemaxwell
12-07-2007, 10:04 PM
I know when the Wizards of the Coast store in the Willowbrook Mall was still there they had this.