PDA

View Full Version : 5 most memorable events in MMORPG History

miaandjohnrule
12-06-2007, 07:51 PM
#1 is just so entertaining.

http://www.mmocrunch.com/2007/12/04/top-5-most-memorable-events-in-mmorpg-history/

xmagxus
12-06-2007, 08:47 PM
That list lost all its credibility the second they ranked a world of warcraft event above killing the sleeper in everquest.

the sleeper was like the god of gods during velious and nothing that EVER happens in world of warcraft can ever top it.

boatofcar
12-06-2007, 08:51 PM
That list lost all its credibility the second they ranked a world of warcraft event above killing the sleeper in everquest.

the sleeper was like the god of gods during velious and nothing that EVER happens in world of warcraft can ever top it.

he said, breathing heavily through his mouth before calling his mom upstairs for another Hot Pocket.

udisi
12-06-2007, 09:05 PM
The whole Leeeeroy Jenkins thing was around in FFXI long before Wow. and either way I think that's a dumb thing for #2.

WiseSalesman
12-06-2007, 09:14 PM
he said, breathing heavily through his mouth before calling his mom upstairs for another Hot Pocket.

:cheers:

xmagxus
12-06-2007, 09:24 PM

Nice try but I speak the truth, I havent played any mmorpgs for a long time but the fact remains everquest will forever be the more challenging deeper gameplay experience and superior to world of warcraft.

World of warcraft got its mainstream popularity partially due to the fact that is isINCREDIBLY EASY by mmorpg standards.

Poofta!
12-06-2007, 09:25 PM
man i remember when leeeeroy first started, it was comedy gold.

also i remember when lord british was 'assassinated'. i wasnt in the game but i read the article in PCGamer about it. i started playing UO in 99 if i remember correctly....

diskoboy
12-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Doesn't this thread belong in the modern gaming section?

miaandjohnrule
12-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Doesn't this thread belong in the modern gaming section?

5 most memorable events in MMORPG History , since it's history I figured it would be classic, no?

grolt
12-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I was hoping that the final official server shutdown for PHANTASY STAR ONLINE would be on there, but considering the calibur of the other finalists, it's understandable.

FlufflePuff
12-06-2007, 10:49 PM
The plague was funny, but hardly noteworthy as one of the top MMO moments of all time. I'm sure they could find some CoH or DAoC moments that would rival it. Other than that I thought the list was pretty spot on.

ghsqb
12-07-2007, 12:35 AM
I guess that kind of list is subjective, but there are good choices on there overall.
I would think though that the travesty that befell Star wars Galaxies would have made the list.
The whole "Combat Upgrade" then NGE fiasco is still hard to believe.
I have never in my life seen a company butcher something so badly as what SOE did to that game.

Griking
12-07-2007, 08:19 AM
World of warcraft got its mainstream popularity partially due to the fact that is isINCREDIBLY EASY by mmorpg standards.

WoW isn't necessarily an easy game, it's just easy to learn enough to get started and begin having fun with from day one (which is why it's so popular) Though if you really want to get into the meat of WoW and raid the larger lvl 70 instances then you better learn how to play your class well.

skylark
12-07-2007, 05:40 PM
I guess I'm the only one who never heard of Leeroy Jenkins. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

diskoboy
12-07-2007, 05:44 PM
5 most memorable events in MMORPG History , since it's history I figured it would be classic, no?

No offense inteded... To me MMO's still seem faily modern.

I do remember that Lord British incident, though... I remember how pissed the Ultima community was super pissed at Rainz, and wanted to rip out his fingernails. And they banned him faster than you could say "DAMN!!!"

miaandjohnrule
12-07-2007, 06:00 PM
No offense inteded... To me MMO's still seem faily modern.

I do remember that Lord British incident, though... I remember how pissed the Ultima community was super pissed at Rainz, and wanted to rip out his fingernails. And they banned him faster than you could say "DAMN!!!"

I was torn between putting it into modern or classic. I never really got much into MMOs but this was at least a cool read if inaccurate in some true MMORPGers eyes.

Stark
12-07-2007, 10:23 PM
I agree that the Sleeper event should have been placed before Leeroy Jenkins however the Sleeper is only remembered because SOE stopped it at first then lied then said sorry and let it happen. In fact I'd put the SWG fiasco and the AO launch before any long forgotten EQ incidents in the top 5.

jcalder8
12-07-2007, 10:26 PM
I guess I'm the only one who never heard of Leeroy Jenkins. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.
I'm in the same boat as you and I love it now :love:

spoon
12-09-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm in the same boat as you and I love it now :love:

Me too. I was away from the intrawebs for a few years. That's how I missed it. I love the VGA in Vegas commercials. leeroy in real life, lol.

PapaStu
12-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Last I checked MMORPG's were more modern and not so much classic so i'm shimmying it over there.

**Shimmah!**

WiseSalesman
12-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Nice try but I speak the truth, I havent played any mmorpgs for a long time but the fact remains everquest will forever be the more challenging deeper gameplay experience and superior to world of warcraft.

I played Everquest for a couple of years back when it came out, and loved it, but let me say this - I have never played a "hard" mmorpg. They are all incredibly easy. It basically boils down to auto-attack, and then pop your abilities when they're ready to go. I will admit that one class in everquest (the bard) had some skill involved. Twisting three songs at a time was somewhat challenging until you got the hang of it.

However, what I'm getting at here is that ALL mmorpgs, by videogame standards are almost embarrassingly easy. If by "INCREDIBLY EASY" you mean that leveling goes at a sane pace, rather than forcing you to kill 2 million non-challenging critters for each level, than you'd be right, and I, along with most of the world, feel that this was a good decision.

Everquest isn't harder - it just forces you to waste more of your time to level. And given that WoW's user base dwarfs that of EQ several times over, it probably makes good sense for one of their firsts to be above that of EQ.

Mr.FoodMonster
12-09-2007, 10:31 PM
My brother and a lot of my co-workers all play Eve, and I hadn't heard of the story posted there. Very cool, and that game is so incredibly deep, I can see how terrible that would be. I bet it made everyone in the attacked corp quit the game.

Mangar
12-10-2007, 08:25 AM
heh - I ran a PK Guild (Lucid Vision) on Rallos Zek during the time of the sleeper event. Most of the participants were our usual "victims" so to speak. While it was a big deal to most of the bluebie servers, it was sort of anti-climatic. Tons of hours to dedicated to pretty much nothing. No gain, no reward, and even most of the participants were rather unfulfilled when it was finally killed. I remember we made a T-Shirt at the time to commemorate the event.

http://jitcrunch.cafepress.com/jitcrunch.aspx?bG9hZD1ibGFuayxibGFuazo3X0ZfYzIzLmp wZ3xsb2FkPUwwLGh0dHA6Ly9pbWFnZXMuY2FmZXByZXNzLmNvb S9pbWFnZS8zNTE4NTg5XzQwMHg0MDAuanBnfHxzY2FsZT1MMCw xMTYsMTA1LFdoaXRlfGNvbXBvc2U9YmxhbmssTDAsQWRkLDE3N ywxMDJ8Y3A9cmVzdWx0LGJsYW5rfHNjYWxlPXJlc3VsdCwwLDQ 4MCxXaGl0ZXxjb21wcmVzc2lvbj05NXw=

Fun Fun - Sold a decent amount actually. Also available in a hoodie! :)
http://www.cafepress.com/holygear

Wolfrider31
12-10-2007, 08:30 AM
The Million Gnome March didn't make the list? I thought that was pretty cool.

And what's geekier, killing the sleeper or wearing a tshirt proclaiming you were laid while other people were killing the sleeper? :)

Nature Boy
12-10-2007, 08:39 AM
I find it disappointing that the text to describe "The Sleeper" looks like it was copied verbatim from Wikipedia.

(I suppose it's possible the same guy wrote both, but I seriously doubt it).

I'm not a MMORPG guy at all, but I thought of the Lord British thing immediately. The Leeroy Jenkins, which I knew about at the time, didn't occur to me at all (although I remembered it after seeing the video again). It maybe should've been 5, or even as a honerable mention. The others seem pretty cool.

Jorpho
12-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Those all make sense except for that description of what exactly happened with The Sleeper.

Wasn't Leeroy Jenkins a purposefully-staged parody rather than an actual "event" ?

This little EVE Online story (http://forums.reebosak.net/showthread.php?t=4418) seems to have made the rounds, but I guess it isn't particularly notable. (I mention it because it is the most notable instance I am aware of when someone other than myself has used the name of Jorpho.)

Damaramu
12-10-2007, 11:44 AM
What about that big funeral slaughter in WoW? I don't play the game, but the footage from that had my friends and I in stitches!

blissfulnoise
12-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Those all make sense except for that description of what exactly happened with The Sleeper.

Wasn't Leeroy Jenkins a purposefully-staged parody rather than an actual "event" ?

This little EVE Online story (http://forums.reebosak.net/showthread.php?t=4418) seems to have made the rounds, but I guess it isn't particularly notable. (I mention it because it is the most notable instance I am aware of when someone other than myself has used the name of Jorpho.)

I read it all. Awesome story. I've never played EVE but it sounds pretty epic.

xmagxus
12-19-2007, 07:35 AM
I played Everquest for a couple of years back when it came out, and loved it, but let me say this - I have never played a "hard" mmorpg. They are all incredibly easy. It basically boils down to auto-attack, and then pop your abilities when they're ready to go. I will admit that one class in everquest (the bard) had some skill involved. Twisting three songs at a time was somewhat challenging until you got the hang of it.

However, what I'm getting at here is that ALL mmorpgs, by videogame standards are almost embarrassingly easy. If by "INCREDIBLY EASY" you mean that leveling goes at a sane pace, rather than forcing you to kill 2 million non-challenging critters for each level, than you'd be right, and I, along with most of the world, feel that this was a good decision.

Everquest isn't harder - it just forces you to waste more of your time to level. And given that WoW's user base dwarfs that of EQ several times over, it probably makes good sense for one of their firsts to be above that of EQ.

It is easy to do quests and max out levels in all mmorpgs but everquest hands down contains the hardest "uber" mobs of almost every mmorpg.. certainly harder uber mobs than WoW.
Im not sure how hard or easy it is now a days but back around kunark (temple of veeshan), velious (sleeper, Temple of veeshan, avatar of war), and several expansions after that its uber mobs actually requires TONS of max level players AND they did actually require tactics. Zerg rushing didnt work at all, especially against the AoW. I'm not saying zerging works in WoW but it certainly is more forgiving and requires lessmax level players.