PDA

View Full Version : Successor to the modded Xbox?

SkiDragon
12-08-2007, 02:45 AM
I wasn't sure where to ask this. I recently modded an Xbox and am using it with XBMC to play video and other media files. Modded Xboxes also perform some game playing functions that I wont go into detail in (but you will know what I am talking about). It does all this with a few limitation, but without many of the restrictions of commercial solutions.

Anyway, it seems like much of the software for modded xboxes is no longer being supported or upgraded. I wonder why this is, since Xboxes now are cheaper than ever, and their isn't much other use for them. Is there some newer device that performs many of the same functions as the modded xbox? Has the "scene" moved onto something else? If so, what? The only thing I can think of is a PS3 with Linux, but last I checked it seemed that much of the software for it was less mature than the old xbox stuff.

Thanks.

norkusa
12-08-2007, 11:31 AM
I was just thinking about this the other day. It seems that the console modding scene pretty much ended with the Xbox. Yeah, there's a chip for the Wii and 360's can be flashed to play backup discs but there's no emulators being released for them.

I saw some screen shots of a new version of MAME running on the 360, but it it's never been officially released and I haven't heard anything about it in a while. Could it be because this generation of consoles are too tough to hack?

k8track
12-08-2007, 01:37 PM
I think the best place for you to get your questions answered would be the Xbox Scene Forums:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php

There's a wealth of information there, and I'm sure if you lurked and searched, your questions might already be answered. One caveat--if or when you do post something, be sure that it doesn't violate one of their rules. They are extremely strict, and I myself received a 72-hour ban a while back for posting what I thought was quite an innocuous question--and that was even after I read all the rules thoroughly.

ubikuberalles
12-08-2007, 04:39 PM
I think the best place for you to get your questions answered would be the Xbox Scene Forums...

Or the modern games forum.

>>>>>>MOVE>>>>>>>>>

Leo_A
12-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Anyway, it seems like much of the software for modded xboxes is no longer being supported or upgraded. I wonder why this is, since Xboxes now are cheaper than ever, and their isn't much other use for them.

Thanks.

Not much other use for them? What happened to playing the games they were built to play on them? :)

SkiDragon
12-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Well, I was thinking that the 360 could play them, but I guess that is not true in many cases. But anyway, a modded Xbox can still play normal, retail Xbox games.

Robotron777
12-09-2007, 11:07 AM
I use my modded xboxes to host LANs. Halo runs so much better off a hard drive then trying to read it off a DVD.

I also have all my games backed up on the HD, so the disks never have to leave their cases. Saves on wear and tear.

I think that the people who were writing all the programs for the xbox have moved onto computers or are busy with the latest gen. consoles.

Anthony1
12-09-2007, 10:42 PM
If you have a Modded Xbox and a huge hard drive, it can really be a dream come true, from the standpoint that you can have so much of videogame's history on that hard drive. With all the various emulators and stuff, it's like a jukebox of videogaming past and almost present. And then there is all the media center stuff. Too bad the old Xbox is such a behemoth and takes up alot of space, and has crap controllers for old school games.

Poofta!
12-09-2007, 10:53 PM
honestly i thought the psp took on a lot of the duties... especially now with tv play ability. its an amazing piece of hardware (especially with the new ravamped psp slim), which just happens to have had terrible software support (this has changed in the last 6 months or so, but still lacking). the psp is a hacker's/modder's dream.

also i believe a lot of development is going on for the ds, but a lot less.

SkiDragon
12-10-2007, 01:36 AM
I guess those are good portable devices, but neither have the power of the Xbox. The Xbox is very good for playing multi player games.

Juganawt
12-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Well, we're 2 years into 360's lifespan, and the hackers are only *just* starting to find ways of running unsigned code. If Xbox360 is ever gonna be blown wide open, it won't be for at least a year or two. Microsoft really did a good job of security on that machine (for the most part).

I think PS3 will be the natural successor to Xbox 1 in terms of modding...especially if the XMB and firmware is as easily hacked as PSP was. The whole system's security isn't great to begin with, so I think once hackers work a little harder on their TIFF exploit, we'll see all kinds of crazy stuff on the system in the next 6 months...and if not, well, there are lots of Linux based emulators and homebrew stuff out there, so it's still a better bet than 360.

I personally can't wait... get a saturn emu on a PS3, and a driver hack so I can use a decent controller (ie an Xbox 360 pad) on it, and that'd make my $600 blu-ray grill worth every penny.

CosmicMonkey
12-10-2007, 03:21 PM
XBMC is still in development, but other than slight improvements the system does everything it was supposed to do. It really is the finest 'homebrew' project ever. T3CH just released a new version of the 9/12 build today.

As for a replacement, I've gone for the AppleTV. Ok, so it's not a game console and therefore has none of it's own games. But it does cover many of the functions of XBMC: multiformat video and audio playback and emulation. It a nice small box but with plenty of horsepower; it's certainly technically able to run MAME, CPS3 and much more capable than an Xbox. Out of the box the ATV is a bit crap and limited (but so is an Xbox), but with a bit of hacking and fiddling it's a very useful system (just like an Xbox :)).

NE146
12-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Still don't really need a successor at this point. Heck I just bought 2 more Xboxes not more than 2 or 3 months ago for 50 bucks a pop.. what they do, they do well. Only thing missing is good Hi-Def support, but that's not really all that big a deal for the stuff you throw on it really.

Something eventually will come up. If something comes where "it can be done" (i.e. emulators. etc.). It will be done. End of story :)

zemmix
12-10-2007, 04:16 PM
I think PS3 will be the natural successor to Xbox 1 in terms of modding...especially if the XMB and firmware is as easily hacked as PSP was. The whole system's security isn't great to begin with, so I think once hackers work a little harder on their TIFF exploit, we'll see all kinds of crazy stuff on the system in the next 6 months...and if not, well, there are lots of Linux based emulators and homebrew stuff out there, so it's still a better bet than 360.

I personally can't wait... get a saturn emu on a PS3, and a driver hack so I can use a decent controller (ie an Xbox 360 pad) on it, and that'd make my $600 blu-ray grill worth every penny.

I was thinking the same thing. Also the hardrives on the PS3's are so easily replaceable unlike the 360.

TheDomesticInstitution
12-10-2007, 06:52 PM
I soft-modded mine a few months ago... and had trouble getting an emulator to load via the program screen... it loaded fine in a roundabout way, but not the way it was supposed to. I was never really big on the mod scene, so I never really registered on any website. But I'm slowly finding those games I'd originally modded the xbox to play, so I mainly use my xbox as a way to play original xbox games... But you don't really see the support now for the new systems... but I do remember Xbox taking a few years before it really took off... and it seems the newer systems have parts you can't really replace with off the shelf components, and they're probably harder to program for. and like someone brought up... the PSP has a pretty good Mod-scene right now- which may be the easiest and cheapest system right now to develop for. I think cost is probably the biggest hurdle right now, so it may take off after prices drop further- because a well equipped PC isn't a whole lot more- and it seems a helluva lot easier to mod than the current systems. But I may be wrong.