PDA

View Full Version : Wii Gift Shop feature coming to wii later today-Dec. 10th (Nintendo pressroom)

7th lutz
12-10-2007, 09:35 AM
http://press.nintendo.com/loginSplash.jsp

Later in the day on Monday, Nintendo will make your holiday shopping just a little bit easier. If some people on your gift list have visions of classic video games dancing in their heads, you're in luck. Starting this week, Wii Shop Channel patrons can use a new Gifting feature to send games to other Wii owners with whom they've traded Friend Codes. It's an easy and inexpensive way to give your fellow Nintendo buffs the gift of a classic gameóno wrapping paper required. And don't worry about duplication. If your friend already has the game you're trying to give, you'll get a simple message and be bumped back into the catalog to continue shopping.

7th lutz
12-10-2007, 11:37 AM
To let members know, I copied and pasted that post from Nintendo's website. In my opinion, this will be the 2nd best channel on the wii.

FantasiaWHT
12-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Ok THAT is cool.
(edit, nm, didn't read close enough)

Definitely going to use that for a few gifts this year.

Super Mario Fan
12-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Ok THAT is cool.

I wonder what happens if they already have purchased the game? They just get credited the points, hopefully?

I read on CAG and kotaku, that you will get a notice if your recipient already bought the game. You will just have to make another selection.

monkeysuit
12-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Ah, what a great idea!

So who wants to gift me Sin & Punishment?

segagamer4life
12-10-2007, 01:41 PM
one size fits me.... SMB 64.... lol

MegaDrive20XX
12-10-2007, 08:03 PM
WII SYSTEM UPDATE! Download now!

The Wii Shop Channel update is finished! If you all wish to recieve gifts, you must do a system update.

FantasiaWHT
12-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Is it possible for somebody who doesn't own a Wii to buy a game for someone who does? Via a normal computer?

Mangar
12-12-2007, 08:01 AM
I predict lots of Regifting :)

7th lutz
12-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Is it possible for somebody who doesn't own a Wii to buy a game for someone who does? Via a normal computer?

No, it is an exclusive feature for the wii owners. It is caused by 3 factors. The first one is feature does not include buying regular Wii games. The 2nd factor is it appears like you only can buy Virtual game console games at this time using the feature for other people. The 3rd factor is it uses friend codes. The friend codes for the Wii only works with other other wii's. Nintendo's friend codes for the wii are different then the codes for the ds. Nintendo used a different set of codes for each game console and each unit of a system.

This feature does not include buying regular Wii games.

rbudrick
12-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Can't you just buy someone Wii points?

So who wants my friend code to send me shit? ;)

-Rob

FantasiaWHT
12-12-2007, 12:40 PM
No, it is an exclusive feature for the wii owners. It is caused by 3 factors. The first one is feature does not include buying regular Wii games. The 2nd factor is it appears like you only can buy Virtual game console games at this time using the feature for other people. The 3rd factor is it uses friend codes. The friend codes for the Wii only works with other other wii's. Nintendo's friend codes for the wii are different then the codes for the ds. Nintendo used a different set of codes for each game console and each unit of a system.

This feature does not include buying regular Wii games.

I think you misunderstood me.

I am looking for the ability to log into a computer, go to Nintendo's website, and buy a VC game as a gift for somebody who owns a Wii, and who I know their Wii code. It really shouldn't be that hard to implement.

Rbudrick - yeah you can buy a wii points card, but I'd rather buy a game for somebody than a points card, for the same reason I would rather give a real gift instead of a gift card.

FantasiaWHT
12-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Has anybody been on the receiving end of a gift yet? What does it take to "get" the gift? Does the blue slot light up? Do you need to just check your "messages" or do you need to sign into the Wii Shop channel?