PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite videogame soundtracks?

G-Boobie
12-14-2007, 05:56 AM
I'm replaying Chrono Cross; don't feel sorry for me, it's on purpose. As I was playing I realized that I love the game primarily because of how beautiful the music is; every once in a while I try and find the soundtrack on Ebay or PlayAsia, to no avail. Anyway...

I was just wondering what people's favorite videogame soundtracks were. I'll get it started by listing a few of mine:

Chrono Cross
Castlevania: SotN
Persona 3
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Wind Waker.

Hows about you?

HYB
12-14-2007, 03:23 PM
I love game music but for me so far only one series stands out as the ultimate.

Jet set Radio and Jet Set Radio Future. I don't listen to other game music, no matter how awesome, daily unlike these two.

diskoboy
12-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Jet Set Radio, hands down.

And the Japanese only music. The Added American soundtrack destroys the games atmosphere.

heybtbm
12-14-2007, 04:05 PM
1.) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
2.) Dragon Quest VIII
3.) Final Fantasy Tactics
4.) Final Fantasy XII
5.) Shadow of the Colossus

...a few of the best from the last decade.

crazyjackcsa
12-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Jet Grind Radio. To be honest I enjoy lots of soundtracks while the game is on, few in the CD player.

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Shining Force III
and Vectorman are some of my favorites.

sisko
12-14-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm also a big fan of the Jet Set Radio Soundtracks.

I also like the Xenogears and Elemental Gearbolt soundtracks quite a bit.

Rob2600
12-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Some great video game soundtracks:

NES:
Blades of Steel
Contra
Castlevania series
Double Dragon
Jackal
Legendary Wings
Life Force
Mega Man series
Metal Gear
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden II
Super C
Super Mario Bros. series
Track and Field II

I also like the title screen music in Wizards and Warriors.

Basically, Capcom, Nintendo, and Konami/Ultra NES games usually featured great music. A few Tecmo and Sunsoft games impressed me, too.

SNES:
Batman Returns
Donkey Kong Country 2
EarthBound
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario Bros. series

N64:
Castlevania series
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Jet Force Gemini
Killer Instinct Gold
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Star Fox 64
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Super Mario 64
Tetrisphere

Rare, Konami, and Factor 5 usually produced great sounding music on the N64.

diskoboy
12-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Oh, and I forgot Rez and Lumines.

Alucard79
12-14-2007, 04:54 PM
I have always like the Loaded series soundtracks. SOTN is on up there as well.

monkeysuit
12-14-2007, 06:02 PM
My list:

Super Mario 64
Phantasy Star Online
Wave Race 64
Megaman 2
Jet Grind Radio/ Jet Set Radio

misfits859
12-14-2007, 07:00 PM
The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind - Xbox. Great music and great memories from a fantastic game.

Jorpho
12-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Didn't we just do this?
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109439

Maxx
12-14-2007, 07:23 PM
I may be showing my lame games here, but...

Hunter the Reckoning
Super Bubble
Phantasy Star Online

And I have to admit, each and every time I hear the original Halo soundtrack, I'm looking for my AR rifle and shotgun...

bazariah
12-14-2007, 07:37 PM
game music which instantly springs to mind are

castlevania (the series as a whole)
contra
megaman (series, but 2 especially)
megaman x
super mario bros
street fighter 2 (vegas stage.. or balrog if in japan)
un squadron
ninja turtles (arcade)
final fantasy 7
zelda

The Great Dane
12-14-2007, 09:21 PM
There are three game series that really stand out for me:

1. Suikoden - Especially 1 and 2

2. Metroid Prime - All three Primes have awesome music, but the first has the
best

3. Metal Gear Solid - Again, all have outstanding music, but the first is on top.

RARusk
12-14-2007, 09:56 PM
"Hitman 2: Silent Assassin" - Jesper Kyd.
"Hitman: Contracts" - Jesper Kyd.
"Hitman: Blood Money" - Jesper Jyd.

Can't wait to see what he's done with "Kane & Lynch" and "Assassin's Creed".

Half Japanese
12-14-2007, 10:51 PM
I've had some of the Jet Grind Radio songs stuck in my head for the past two days after hearing another song sample the "He's a sweet soul brother" line that's also sampled in Guitar Vader's "Super Brother."

The Oblivion soundtrack is pretty great as well.

I managed to snag the Virtua Fighter 4 and Panzer Dragoon Orta st's a few years ago when TokyoPop brought them to the US and both are above average (I wouldn't say great), even with VF4's Sega-trademarked buttrock guitar wailing.

Going the licensed route (since Jet Grind Radio has been mentioned), I liked a lot of the unlockable music tracks in Phantom Crash for the Xbox. Electric Eel Shock was on that one a good two years or so before many in the US had heard of them. There's also a Japanese band on that soundtrack called Win A Sheep Free that I remember being pretty good.

From the "I can't believe that exists" department, I also own soundtracks for Fox Hunt and Mega Man, both featuring some pretty shitty licensed music. Mega Man is almost all buttrock from what I can remember, save for a random Junior Mafia track, and Fox Hunt has a bunch of alternative bands that never went anywhere, but strangely also features the Sugarhill Gang, Average White Band and the Greg Kihn Band. The Fox Hunt st's liner notes also try to work in game clues based on close attention to the songs' lyrics and such.

E Nice
12-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Ninety-Nine Nights music is pretty beautiful. I had to get the soundtrack after playing it.

Contra Shattered Soldier is another great soundtrack to listen to, especially when put in the car's cd player while driving down a highway.

Lothars
12-15-2007, 12:10 AM
I can't believe no one has listed Chrono Triggers or Final Fantasy VI soundtracks

Those are some of the best soundtracks ever, but the others listed here are really good.

VACRMH
12-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Good topic :) I've been listening to alot of soundtracks recently. Some favorites are...

Final Fantasy VI
Phantasy Star (Series as a whole, 1-4)
Suikoden
Double Dragon (1 and 2)
Dragon Quest (As a whole)
Metal Slug 3
Vay
Arc The Lad
Contra: Shattered Soldier

And plenty more.

LiquidPolicenaut
12-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Too many for me to fully list, but here are a few stand outs for me:

Lunar 1 & 2 - Sega CD
Snatcher -Sega CD
Castlevania SOTN
Ridge Racer series (RRR for me specifically)
Streets of Rage 1 & 2
Actraiser

...and just for the season, Christmas Nights :)

TheDomesticInstitution
12-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Since the OP just said favorite soundtracks, and didn't stipulate if it had to be original or not- I'd like to nominate: GTA: San Andreas. It has a great collection of music... from country to hip-hop. It takes a lot of thought to put together a decent soundtrack like that. Otherwise as far as original music goes; the whole Metroid series had excellent music, as did Gradius III on SNES.

G-Boobie
12-17-2007, 04:02 AM
A few more I thought of:

Ikaruga
Full Throttle
Disgaea
Any Silent Hill

And nods and agreement to Morrowind and Oblivion.

WanganRunner
12-17-2007, 10:15 AM
XENOGEARS #1

Super Mario 64 (Jolly Roger Bay is the best single videogame track ever)
New Super Mario Brothers
Final Fantasy VII
Xenosaga
Chrono Cross (more Yasunori Mitsuda, w00t)

Retsudo
12-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Tekken 2 & 3, and UN Squardron.

MrRoboto19XX
12-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Jet Set Radio, hands down.

And the Japanese only music. The Added American soundtrack destroys the games atmosphere.

Amen, I must also personally add Katamari Damacy and Shenmue.

Chuplayer
12-18-2007, 12:16 PM
The Mega Man 2 soundtrack is so awesome it hurts. The underrated in every way Mega Man 6's soundtrack is also pretty good.

Ferrari F355 Challenge's soundtrack helped shape my tastes in music. There were only three songs with singing in the Dreamcast version, but the instrumentals that played elsewhere in the game were also quite good. I think the PS2 version has more music, but I haven't played it at all.

The first SEGA Rally's soundtrack is one of my favorites. It actually contributed to damaging my ears. The same can be said for Fighters Megamix. I especially like Sanman's song. Actually, just about everything on the Saturn damaged my ears, but it was a fun ride before I had to stop it.

Sonic Adventure's music is also enjoyable. (Getting the buttrock drift yet?)

World Driver Championship for the N64 had some good music, but I wish they went with a greater cart size to up the sound quality a bit.

The remixed version of the Dinosaur Canyon song in Daytona USA CCE is also one of my Saturn favorites. I also liked the Sounds of Angels and the American Dream songs.

Buns34
12-18-2007, 04:16 PM
1. Super Metroid
2. Mega Man 2
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask
5. The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker
6. Super Mario 64 (Jolly Roger Bay is still my favorite song to this day)

Slate
12-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Most of the time I don't pay attention to the soundtracks but Jet grind radio has a awesome one!

Frankie_Says_Relax
12-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Katamari Damacy, We <3 Katamari, Me & My Katamari, and Beautiful Katamari all have amazing original songs that enjoy a healthy rotation in my iPod.

I also enjoyed the soundtracks to God of War I and II, and all of the Metal Gear Solid (and Ac!d) soundtracks.

And every time I play through Bionic Commando arcade I'm reminded of how amazing each one of the level songs are too.

Nintendork
12-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Mega Man II
Mega Man III
Legend of Zelda series
Earthbound...I don't know why it gets stuck in my head all the time.

Zap!
12-19-2007, 08:34 PM
This doesn't belong in Modern Gaming, but I'd pick Ys: Book I and II, Outrun, and the original Phantasy Star.

calthaer
12-20-2007, 11:02 AM
The original Deus Ex is my favorite soundtrack ever.

Castlevania: SotN also gets heavy rotation on my iPod.

Morrowind, the original Unreal, Halo, and Ocarina of Time are also good.

I also like TRON 2.0 and Space Rangers 2.

There are other games that have good songs (like Metroid Prime), but I wouldn't necessarily say that the overwhelming majority of it is something I'd want to listen to.

heybtbm
03-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Just bumping up this old topic. I'm amazed by how awesome the 2-disc Street Fighter IV official soundtrack is. Well worth the purchase/download. It might be the best Capcom soundtrack to date. Fantastic.

G-Boobie
03-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Does that include the incredible INDESTRUCTABLE?

maxlords
03-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Short list of my fave soundtracks ever (not a whole list but off the top of my head):

Silent Hill 1-3 OSTs (these include the US vocal tracks which ROCK!)
Final Fantasy III US OST
Secret of Evermore OST
Jet Set Radio Future US OST
Symphony Ys 95
Gensosuikoden II: Orrizonte
Dracula New Classics
Actraiser Symphonic Suite
Final Fantasy Potions
Final Fantasy IV: Celtic Moon
Grandia II: Povo/Deus
Mass Effect OST
Panzer Dragoon Orta OST
Metroid: Sound in Motion

There's a few others but that's all I can think of now.

The 1 2 P
03-09-2009, 02:26 AM
Castlevania: SOTN
Bust-A-Move(Bust-A-Groove in the US)
Bust-A-Move 2(Bust-A-Groove 2 in the US)

Famidrive-16
03-09-2009, 02:35 AM
i'd pay a dumb amount for a copy of the puzzle fighter soundtrack.

acem77
03-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Ecco 1+2 sega cd
Ecco Dotf DC ps2
lords of thunder duo
gate of thunder duo
ssfII turbo 3do
wolfenstein 3do
sonic adventure dc
panzer dragoon sat
tempest jag
battle morph jag cd
steets of rage 1+2
sonic cd usa
halo xbox+360
flower ps3
mile high pinball ngage

and many many more

Stone_Protector_101
03-10-2009, 12:58 PM
I have to say Legend of dragoon is one of the best to me.

Neil Koch
03-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Most of my favorites have already been mentioned but I have to give a nod to House of the Dead: Overkill. Some really great original music, especially if you're into 70's funk and rock.

RPG_Fanatic
03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
I really liked the soundtrack to Wild Arms for the PSone

Rob2600
03-11-2009, 01:53 AM
"Learn" from Tetrisphere is one of my favorite video game songs ever:

http://goodrob13.com/2008/12/08/video-game-music-tetrisphere/

Sudo
03-11-2009, 01:57 AM
Pretty much everything by Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger/Cross, Xenogears, Soma Bringer, etc.) Some others:

Suikoden II
Castlevania: SotN
Final Fantasy VII

Xhizors
04-01-2009, 08:53 AM
SNES:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario World 1+2
Donkey Kong Country 1+2+3 (favorite: 2)
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Super Mario Kart
Wario's Woods

N64:

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Bomberman 64

JunkTheMagicDragon
04-01-2009, 09:08 AM
can't believe no one's mentioned the advent rising soundtrack. say what you will about the game (personally, i loved it) but the soundtrack was phenomenal. main theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqfaBM460z8) (disregard video)

also, much love for the mass effect and halo scores.

The 1 2 P
04-01-2009, 04:22 PM
I already posted in here last month but I forgot one. I absolutely loved the soundtrack to Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic 2. Even after I beat the game I would go into the song menu and just listen to music for twenty to forty minutes at a time. I wish they released an actual soundtrack to it but it's alittle too late for that now.

cityside75
04-02-2009, 12:16 AM
I absolutely LOVE the soundtrack to MDK. Truth be told I love everything about MDK, it's an underrated classic.

I like some of Tommy Tallarico's other work as well.

A Black Falcon
04-02-2009, 12:45 AM
I like videogame music a lot... I'll just mention a few... or I'll try to. Maybe. :)

Skies of Arcadia (Eternal Arcadia OST)
Planescape Torment
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
NetStorm
Xenogears
The Legend of Zelda (most all games, but esp. LA and OoT)
Panzer Dragoon (and Zwei, Orta, Saga... all are truly amazing!)
Tempest 2000
Lunar (Eternal Blue or Silver Star Story, SCD and PSX/Saturn versions)
Warcraft II and III
Starcraft
Star Wars games with the classic movie music (TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight...)
Quest for Glory (I, IV, and V especially)
Wizards & Warriors (the PC RPG)
San Francisco Rush 2049 (N64 version)
Wipeout (most all of them)
Turrican 2 (Amiga)
Sonic the Hedgehog (the original)

Haven't even gotten to most consoles yet... lots of great stuff there. Final Fantasy Adventure (so simple, and yet so great... best soundtrack in the Mana series. :)), Mega Man (particularly the NES ones...), Gradius (III SNES and The Interstellar Assault, particularly), R-Type, SoulStar, Nexzr, etc, etc. Way too many to list. :)

... and others. I like music from games. I'm not much of a music fan (classical, some techno/electronic stuff, that's about it), so I mostly just listen to music from videogames I have or have played, if I want to listen to something while I'm surfing the web or writing something and stuff... that's about the only time I listen to music.

theChad
04-02-2009, 12:50 AM
I could probably name a few dozen, but one I haven't seen yet is Spanky's Quest on SNES (might have had the same soundtrack on Game Boy too - I don't know). Fantastic jazzy music that makes the game all the more addicting.

Here's an excerpt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mliYN0qARRs

And I guess, while I'm at, Tomba! for PlayStation has got some pretty memorable tunes as well. Baccus Village and the 100 Year-Old Man's Hut both come to mind right away.

Ed Oscuro
04-02-2009, 02:17 AM
Too many to list, but some long-time favorites:

A trio of Taito arcade titles:

Gun & Frontier
RayForce
Metal Black
Darius games tend to have decent music too.

and of course Numan Athletics, Namco's late 80s and early 90s stuff is brilliant

Flippy8490
04-02-2009, 02:10 PM
I absolutely love the Gears of War score, and Sonic CD for the Sega CD (japanese version)...not sure why.

SEGA_Queen
04-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Here are my faves:

Sonic (Both the Genesis and modern era soundtracks.)

Klonoa: DTP and Klonoa 2 (Unfortunately, the music for the GBA games don't have the same charm.)

Lunar (Mostly the music from the Sega CD versions, but there are select tracks from the PS1 versions that I love too.)

Skies of Arcadia (The title screen theme and the theme for the "military facility dungeon" are my faves!)

"Tales of" series (Especially Tales of Symphonia!)

shertz
04-04-2009, 10:03 PM
you can hear most of this music on a radio show called the "The Video Game Music Show" on KSPC 88.7FM - Claremont, CA and it comes on Fridays from 4 - 6pm. Theres a live webcast if you dont live in the area at www.kspc.org Its nice to speak to a live DJ and call in for requests.

alexkidd2000
04-05-2009, 03:15 PM
My pics would be..
M.U.S.H.A - Genesis
Sonic CD USA Version (YES I SAID IT)
Astro Blaster - Master System
Road Rash - Genesis
Space Harrier - Arcade
Phantasy Star - Master System
Jet Set Radio - DC
Space Channel 5 - DC

Chemdawg
04-05-2009, 07:38 PM
so many greats from the castlevania's, IV and SOTN probably are my favorite soundtracks from them. but really they're all pretty good

-NBA street games, love the music from all of them, nothing like some good ol school hip hop
-Fight night round 2 and 3 also have some great music, really pumps ya up for the fights

UMDcase102
04-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Since the OP just said favorite soundtracks, and didn't stipulate if it had to be original or not- I'd like to nominate: GTA: San Andreas. It has a great collection of music... from country to hip-hop. It takes a lot of thought to put together a decent soundtrack like that. Otherwise as far as original music goes; the whole Metroid series had excellent music, as did Gradius III on SNES.

I almost thought i was the only one that thought GTA:san andreas has the Funk in Music soundtracks i also liked the music in MAdden 08.:rocker:

Sonicwolf
04-06-2009, 12:23 AM
Grand Theft Auto Vice City, Phantasy Star Online and Sonic CD all had excellent soundtracks to me. Both of them are in my top favorites.

DonMarco
04-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Only two soundtracks I have on my mp3 player are Rez and Silent Hill 4.

boogiecat
04-07-2009, 09:26 AM
For classic game soundtracks,i really love the ones in Sonic The Hedgehog and Mario games....

I've got a cassette tape of Psycho Soldier which is included in the game Athena on the Nintendo Famicom and that one was fantastic...I really love Kaori Shimizu's voice!!