PDA

View Full Version : Crysis OMG

aaron7
12-16-2007, 06:58 PM
I searched and there were threads about when it was coming out and such, but no gameplay threads.

First off... wow. Just wow. I know I said that about Oblivion, HL2, Doom3, Duke3d... you get the idea... but wow. This game looks amazing and I don't even have it cranked up all the way!

My system isn't the greatest but I can play the game with all settings on high and max resolution (1680x1050) but with AA off.

One downside for the game is it's written to take advantage of DX10. Why is that a downside? I don't want Vista and that's the only way to get it. Don't get me wrong, the game looks insanely beautiful, but they put a lot of effort into the DX10 features of it and I think they skimped on us DX9 people. But who can blame them, right?

Gameplay seems somewhat daunting at first... lots of buttons and modes, but you pick it up quite quick and it's a BLAST to play! You can use your cloaking ability and snipe people or put max strength on and go punch some people out!

The AI is great... they actually fall back, look for cover, interact with eachother, etc. Also, they don't just 'see' you when you're near... if you're hiding behind a tree or behind their back (and quiet) you can hide from them.

Another awesome thing you can do is take a vehicle for a spin! Humvees, trucks, boats... all handle and drive quite well for a FPS. Gauges work, they take realistc damage... and you can shoot out the tires or gas tanks!

I recommend everyone at least download the demo for free (google Crysis demo) and give it a go. It's definately my new favorite game!

Borman
12-16-2007, 10:22 PM
I think you can enable the DX10 features in XP with some hack

aaron7
12-17-2007, 06:45 AM
http://www.pureoverclock.com/story1585.html

Snapple
12-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I heard that nobody can play the game on the highest settings without some lag, even with a top, top of the line computer.

Trebuken
12-17-2007, 02:57 PM
While I imagine that hack would help image quality it does not enable DX10 in XP. DX10 can do things DX9 cannot though it also introduces a loss in fps'.

I do believe the game can be played at its highest settings, especially now that 3-Way SLI is just about available...I think Crysis will benefit from that.

It's actually playable at 20fps so you can push those settings pretty high on a core2 with an 8800.

I've not played too much but did enjoy it. It does not cover any new ground but it does seem to do many things better than other games in the genre. I liked the AI particularly...

I am playing it in Vista, 64-bit...

aaron7
12-17-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm running it at max resolution and very high settings (with that hack) but with no AA and it plays fine. Sometimes you notice a little choppiness but it's totally playable. I'm just running a AMD X2 4400+ and 2gb RAM, but I have the Radeon 3870.
The hack doesn't enable DX10, no. But it DOES add DX10 features like the 3d waves and slotted sunlight through the leaves.

diskoboy
12-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Anyone playing this on a quad-core rig?? I wanna hear how it's looking on all the quad rigs...

I'm building a quad FX-74 rig for Xmas.

OldSchoolGamer
12-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Yeah I have that game on order, just built a new Core 2 Duo E6750 with
the latest Geforce 8800GT 512mb videocard, though I will be running it on XP I look forward to it still, that and BioShock, not to mention the noticable improvements I have experieced since it replaced my old system, multi tasking is amazing with Core 2 Duo!

boatofcar
12-17-2007, 11:20 PM
http://kotaku.com/gaming/clips/watch-3000-barrels-fall-down-in-crysis-333902.php

Wow. Just wow.

Slate
12-18-2007, 12:34 AM
http://kotaku.com/gaming/clips/watch-3000-barrels-fall-down-in-crysis-333902.php

Wow. Just wow.

I saw that on youtube and it looks un. freaking. believable!

diskoboy
12-18-2007, 12:40 AM

Wow. Just wow.

I guess I'll splurge for that physics card now.

Damn.

meancode
12-18-2007, 02:13 AM
I would be interested in hearing your opinions on why this game is not selling. Are the requirements too high? Is it because Vista is required to really get the most out of this game? Has the PC market just hit a saturation point when it comes to FPS games?

aaron7
12-18-2007, 07:33 AM
Yah the requirements are too high and also people think they either can't run it without Vista or that it won't look good without it.

Crysis LOVES multi-core systems. A quad core is perfect for this!