PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Gaming Resolutions

G-Boobie
12-25-2007, 08:11 AM
This is about as cheesy as it gets, but what the Hell. What are your gaming resolutions for 2008?

I resolve to actually play all the way through Castlevania: Bloodlines again.(I beat it in a medicated pneumonia haze before)

I resolve to play every game I buy at least once

I resolve to stop shopping at Gamestop

I resolve to finally pick up that Atari Jaguar, just for kicks

What about the rest of ye?

josekortez
12-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Here are mine:

1. Play more of the games I already own versus buying more new games.
2. Try to trade more games in order to acquire more games and get my backlog down.
3. Buy an LCD high-def setup after I move in September.

roushimsx
12-25-2007, 10:54 AM
I resolve to:
- Play through some more RPGs this year. 3, maybe 4...we'll see. I've got a massive backlog of RPGs and I need to get crackin'! Final Fantasy X and XII are high on the list.

- Play through Sam & Max Season 1 and start Season 2. Lord knows I haven't been spending enough time playing adventure games in recent years.

- Hit some PS2/Xbox collection goals. Sniper Elite (Xbox) and Futurama (PS2) are two biggies.

- Buy a copy of High Seize, no matter the price god damnit.

- Play through more early-mid 90s shareware games! A lot of these puppies are getting released by the companies as freeware and by god, I'm gonna play through 'em. Tons of 'em I've played the shareware versions before but never the full registered versions.

- Help people get older games running on their computers! I just hammered out a blog post on getting MechWarrior 2 3Dfx working in 2k/XP/Vista and I plan on doing a whole bunch of DOSbox-related posts this year.

- Find a cheap used PS2, buy an LCD Top Gun, and set up a two screen Time Crisis 2 + 3 setup during a long holiday weekend. Play the shit out of both games with some friends all weekend long.

FlufflePuff
12-25-2007, 02:51 PM
1. Buy a house with the space to setup my first permanent game room.

2. Buy a Crystal Castles Cab to go in said game room

3. Finish off my NES Collection

4. Begin working through the backlog of unplayed titles. Stop buying for new consoles when I still have tons of older games unplayed.

5. Save a little money

j_factor
12-25-2007, 03:26 PM
I resolve to:

1. Mod my Turbo Duo for at least s-video, if not RGB.
2. Somehow get RGB/Component out of my Saturn with audio.
3. Buy a new standard-definition TV for my classic consoles (as my old one is going bust).
4. Finalize my CD32 setup and acquire more Amiga games.
5. Start getting into Commodore 64; get a floppy drive and some games (I still only have the unit itself).
6. Get my Dreamcast and Wii, and possibly Xbox, hooked up to my monitor.
7. Go after the GBA games I need.
8. Keep up on new releases and fill out my collections for Wii and DS.
9. Buy a 360 and/or PS3 and/or gaming PC.
10. Finally ditch the dial-up and get high-speed, cable/wi-fi internet.
11. Win the lottery, or at least get a better job.

Matt-El
12-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Actually PLAY my wii while I'm waiting for smash bros. to come out.

7th lutz
12-25-2007, 03:35 PM
1.) Buy more Hombrew 2600 & 7800 games
2.) Get all the Nes games I want. I have 1 to go.
3.) beat more games
4.) Get at least one Atari Lynx game

walrusmonger
12-25-2007, 03:41 PM
My resolutions, which I WILL stick to this year (otherwise I'm in deep shit) are:

1. stop buying every game you're interested in
(went nuts this holiday season, need to take a chill pill. maybe set a limit of 1
brand new game per month)

2. beat the games I buy
(have a backlog of at least 30 brand new PS2 games to get started on, not to
mention the 360/Wii/PS3 games I have yet to finish)

3. get a new pc
(my pc died on me a year ago, have been using my expensive but shitty thinkpad T41
as my main pc. it'd be nice to get a sexy sony vaio or something, not for gaming but
because my thinkpad runs slow, has a broken backspace key, and is 4 years old)

4. beat expert drums in rock band
(1/2 way done with hard drums)

5. not gaming related- but stop buying clothes.
(have spent around $1200 on sneakers and $3000 on new clothes since july. of course
this is because I lost some weight and needed a new wardrobe, but it's getting out of
hand)

6. finally- get a real deal job. just graduated and need to get into something that I can
not only apply my skills, but also make me use my brain.

SaturnFan
12-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Mine is to somehow find a way to play Crysis.

Fuzzball24
12-25-2007, 03:56 PM
1. Buy more classic games
2. Beat at least half of my games (At 200 and 20 something, it shouldn't be too hard).

parker619
12-25-2007, 05:17 PM
1. try and play more classic games e.g. megadrive sms,,
2. buy phantasy star collection for gba to play on my christmas present yup the ds!
3. beat more games !! dont play for fun goddammit this is SPARTA!!!

Nate Nanjo
12-25-2007, 05:21 PM
To finally beat the games that I've started, but never finished (Working on Star Ocean 3 now)

DragonMaster Sam
12-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Really need to finish the games that I already have. New games can wait, they'll be around.

roushimsx
12-25-2007, 05:58 PM
3. beat more games !! dont play for fun goddammit this is SPARTA!!!

Everyone with this resolution had damn well better post (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94816) about the games they beat, too!

Nesmaster
12-25-2007, 06:51 PM
-Finish, or at least play every game I've bought for my 360/PS3/Wii in 2007 (which is currently 20+ 360 titles yet to be touched, and 5 each for PS3/Wii). Might be tough considering all the new games coming this year, but I'll do my best.

-Hit 100 000 Achievement Points. I've been wanting to hit 6 figures ever since I went achievement crazy at about this time last year, but have settled down in the last 4-6 months. 2008 is the year I aim to hit it, though.

Garry Silljo
12-25-2007, 07:08 PM
After getting plenty of doog new stuff for xmas, my main goal is to play the stuff I have to completion. I want to really go nuts on my games and finish some of these gems 100%. Then I want to cut back on my new game puchases and work on playing my classic backlog and building up my NES catalog and maybe some of the last Saturn titles I need. Lastly I want to spend a little more time teaching my little girl to game. She's still a little young but is showing great interest.

CreamSoda
12-25-2007, 08:01 PM
-Spend more time gaming on my Dreamcast
-Spend more time gaming on my N64
-Finally fix my damn blinking NES
-Sell off the unwanted "fillers" in my collection
-Spend more time gaming and less time collecting
-Spend more time playing multiplayer with friends
-Finally get my PS3 up an online
-Getting a decent HD setup for my PS3
-Pushing my N64 collection over the 200 mark(currently at 118)
-Playing some of the older PC games I need to play(Diablo/Starcraft/Unreal '99/ect)
-Buy more classic games
-Play more classic games

It's a long list, but everything is easily doable if I use my time and money right! :)

kainemaxwell
12-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Actually finish some rpgs.

JSoup
12-25-2007, 08:52 PM
1. Finish all three games in the Atelier Iris series.
2. Play and beat at least 2 of the games I've bought over the last year and have yet to touch.

8bitgamer
12-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Spend less time working and more time playing video games.

Videogamerdaryll
12-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Play more games instead of being on the internet.

But a better wireless,wired riuter to have less problems playing Xbox Live games online.
Try to get back to and finish games offline since playing online has sucked me in..

Sell off more of my old system games..to have less of a game collection since I play so much less now-offline
But still working on finshing my NES collection..

Buy a new Glass Top and Overlay for my Ms Pac Man Coctail table ..And then try to beat my wifes high score.

RadiantSvgun
12-25-2007, 10:09 PM
My goal is to finally own an Arcade Cabinet.

Icarus Moonsight
12-26-2007, 01:55 AM
Finish my room, wall actually, of doom. Organized, neat, streamlined with all systems play-ready and most games at hand.

Finish my trim down I started in 07.

Catch up on Wii and DS releases.

Finish my GC, GBA and PS2 wants.

Bigger SD set for lightgun games. 32" minimum.

Finish my MAME project.

Play more, shop and hunt less.

Get SSBB and Mario Kart Wii on day one.

I will also resolve to buy a 360 this year IF, and only if the RRoD issue, is by some divine providence, resolved to my satisfaction sometime in 08.

Get an N-Gage or get rid of the games I have for it.

Sothy
12-26-2007, 02:26 AM
1024 x 768

im going for framerate.

Hawksmoor
12-26-2007, 02:31 AM
1. Cut back on impulsive purchases
2. Play all of the games I buy
3. Go through my entire collection in storage and actually catalogue everything I have
4. Get rid of and or sell a lot of the promotional crap I've accumulated over the years

heybtbm
12-26-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm pretty good at finishing 95% of the games that I start. It's almost a compulsion for me to get to the end of a game. I've been this way since the NES days. There are a few games however that I stop (for all kinds of reasons) and struggle to finish...

1.) Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I've started then stopped playing this game twice. Third time's the charm I guess.

2.) Final Fantasy X. I've never made it past 10 hours. Biltzball ruined the game immediately. Although I've recently heard you can ignore it for most of the game (thank god).

3.) Xenosaga 1-3. 2 and 3 are still sealed. I only made it 3 hours or so into Xenosaga 1.

4.) Metal Gear Solid 3. I've picked this one up 3 different times. I'm guessing I'm probably half done at this point. I really want to finish this before MGS4 comes out.

Edit: Achievement goals...

Crackdown. I need the last 250 points. The 150 point racing achievement takes so fricking long. I have to get these.

Godfather. EA finally gave us the remaining achievements for this game last week (after 1+ years). I really want to get all 1250...or at least a majority of them.

Ridge Racer 6. I only have 3 more races to go before I get ~400 achievement points pretty quick. I've had this game for almost 2 years now.

Call of Duty 4. 1000 for completing veteran difficulty. Shouldn't be too hard. I just need to find the time (and motivation).

Bioshock and Assassin's Creed. I only have 1-2 achievements remaining for each game. They both require full play-throughs to attain however.

Oobgarm
12-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Obtain no more than 3 games in 2008, using personal funds.

G-Boobie
12-26-2007, 12:28 PM
One more, post-Christmas gift fallout: I resolve to play more Rock Band.

heybtbm
12-26-2007, 12:32 PM
One more, post-Christmas gift fallout: I resolve to play more Rock Band.

Until your drums and guitar break next week.

FAMOUS
12-26-2007, 12:44 PM
1. Finish a game before purchasing a new one...
2. Trade in oldies for newbies
3. Go out for drinks with buddies instead of playing on LIVE! *weekends only*

G-Boobie
12-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Until your drums and guitar break next week.

Good. Then I'll get a free copy of Skate, too.

I resolve to play through the free game EA sends me when my Rock Band stuff breaks.

ubersaurus
12-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Get my fighting game skills back up to snuff in time for SF4.

diskoboy
12-26-2007, 05:07 PM
- to get every achievement point in at least 1 of my 360 retail games (I still haven't on ANY of my games, so far)
- To start playing more PC games since I just built a new rig.
- To have more patience with Nintendo.
- To be nicer to Sony fanboys :)

roushimsx
12-26-2007, 05:26 PM
3.) Xenosaga 1-3. 2 and 3 are still sealed. I only made it 3 hours or so into Xenosaga 1.

4.) Metal Gear Solid 3. I've picked this one up 3 different times. I'm guessing I'm probably half done at this point. I really want to finish this before MGS4 comes out.

Get the fuck out of my head :(

Juganawt
12-26-2007, 09:30 PM
my 2008 resolutions.

1: Track down my missing games for Saturn and Mega CD to finally complete the sets.

2: To finally get round to sorting, backing up, and documenting the complete sets mentioned in number 1 plus my complete dreamcast set, and uploading them for various projects.

3: Clear up and backup my 2tb hard drive space to have enough space to do number 2.

4: Buy all the 360 games I was interested in in 2007, but didn't buy because my 360 crapped out on me.

5: Start acquiring a full set of Master System and possibly start on Nes/32x/Jaguar.

6: Finally get round to buying a NuoN to play Tempest 3000 without having to settle for the rather crappy NuoN emulator.

Rogmeister
12-26-2007, 10:27 PM
I don't usually make gaming resolutions...let's see what I can come up with, though.

1. Find and buy a Wii.

2. Bump my GameCube collection up to 150 games (shouldn't be hard, I currently have 141).

3. Cut down my gaming collection by selling or giving away 3-5 of my systems.

4. Buy more game-related T-shirts

Sorry, that's all I could think of.

Flack
12-27-2007, 10:21 AM
01. Redo both of my game rooms (the upstairs one and the arcade). After seeing several other DP'ers Rooms of Doom, I really want to improve the look of my rooms.

02. I'm starting a separate blog for talking about games and computers. Maybe it'll spin off into a podcast or even a videocast (?). Who knows.

03. I plan on getting back into retrogaming more heavily this year. Specifically I'd like to get back into DOS gaming and C64 gaming more.

Sailorneorune
12-27-2007, 10:56 AM
1) (not quite game related) get my anime DVDs professionally resurfaced.

2) (continued from no. 1) get a new DVD player!

3) finish the RPGs. (I always go to something portable instead...)

4) find a way to make Sega and Square release more of their great games on the Virtual Console or drive everyone involved insane in the process.

5) thin out the collection a little bit, and get a good, permanent organizational system for the Cabinet of Doom.

6) (continued from no. 3) finish Sakura Wars.

jdc
12-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Likewise, get another small "regular" TV for the SNES, N64 and Dreamcast. They don't go so good on a LCD tv. LOL

Catch up on the wealth of PC RPGs that I missed by not having a gaming PC all these years.

Get my gaming PC and PS3 online.

Yet again, be more selective in the games that I DO buy.......and ONLY "collect" for the PSX.

Teach my 6 yr old to play games other than Pokemon and Smash Bros.

unwinddesign
12-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Buy less games. I actually managed to purchase (or receive) only 17 or 18 this year, which is probably the fewest since I started getting an allowance (re: 8 or 9 years).

Avoid buying a PS3, Wii, PSP or any other system I don't own. Because I just don't need them. At all.

Stop buying XBLA arcade games for achievements. God, I am hating achievements, and yet I can't get enough. Son of a bitch.

monkeysuit
12-28-2007, 03:03 AM
- to get every achievement point in at least 1 of my 360 retail games (I still haven't on ANY of my games, so far)

No doubt. I'm going to try and finish up getting my achievements in GoW and CoD4. Maybe after I get that out of the way I'll start on Assassins Creed.

Flack
12-28-2007, 07:54 PM
02. I'm starting a separate blog for talking about games and computers. Maybe it'll spin off into a podcast or even a videocast (?). Who knows.

Got this one done and it's not even 2008 yet.

http://tech.robohara.com

Articles begin 1/1/2008.

G-Boobie
12-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Got this one done and it's not even 2008 yet.

http://tech.robohara.com

Articles begin 1/1/2008.

Nice! That might be a resolution speed record.

Joker T
12-30-2007, 11:30 PM
I have alot of games to finish.

God of War and the PS2 version of RE4 for non next-gen.

360:
I'm attempting to break 30,000 GS this year so I have some work there.

Halo 3:
Currently missing 3 achievements for my 1000, the meta score on the 8th level which is a total pain and than Heroic and Legendary.

COD 2 and 4:
Need to finish up both these games on Veteran, I am about 1/2 way through both of them.

Bioshock:
I need to finish this game and get the achievements.

Assassin's Creed:
Need to finish this game aswell but I can't see myself going for the flags.

Crackdown:
I still need a slew of achievements for this game, I have most of the orbs its just going to be quite annoying trying to find the last 40 or so I need.

PapaStu
12-31-2007, 12:13 AM
Buy MOAR DS games. I need more. I really do, despite what others may say.

Play more of the 360 stuff i've got. Just playing CoD4 doesn't help to alleviate the slight backlog of games that i've got for the system, or fix the fact that I need to finish up the achievements in Halo 3 and CoD4's offline mode.

Howie6925
12-31-2007, 07:53 PM
To finally beat the games that I've started, but never finished (Working on Star Ocean 3 now)

I second that one, I have sooo many games I started and never finished. The last game I played through and finished was kings field IV and that was 4 years ago.

otaku
12-31-2007, 10:03 PM
I resolve to keep playing! Its gonna be tough I've got a rough year ahead it seems due to family and financial issues probably doing some moving etc and lots of work to.