PDA

View Full Version : Sony / Nintendo - Achievements Please!!

Gorez
12-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Why didnt they copy Microsoft with this! Such a success...

walrusmonger
12-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Sony already kind of did with their Home concept. Some games (the darkness, uncharted) already have something like this set up.

If you mean on a more uniform scale, which you do, then I honestly can only figure that it's because xbox live is pretty much built into the system as one of the reasons why you'd buy it. If the PSN was as uniform and community driven as Live, then something like this would probably have been set up. The wii is a joke of a console, only a few games are actually worth getting on it. Sadly, those games are really awesome.

Richter Belmount
12-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Why didnt they copy Microsoft with this! Such a success...

meh...

Dangerboy
12-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Personally, I really don't care for achievements, and think they should be completely optional and have no bearing on your gamer card, especially with the bullshit ones.

Bullshit Examples:
Ultimate MK3 - Win 100 online macthes ranked - I would if there were people playing.
"Grinder Points" - Things like, "play 8 billion matches", "kill 1 million head shots", etc

The achievements I DO like are the truly creative ones, like Crackdown's "Jump off the highest point," or like Puzzle Fighter's "The Longest Road" where you had to beat the game with Dan...those are th eones that make it all worth while.

Nesmaster
12-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Personally, I really don't care for achievements, and think they should be completely optional and have no bearing on your gamer card, especially with the bullshit ones.

Bullshit Examples:
Ultimate MK3 - Win 100 online macthes ranked - I would if there were people playing.
"Grinder Points" - Things like, "play 8 billion matches", "kill 1 million head shots", etc

The achievements I DO like are the truly creative ones, like Crackdown's "Jump off the highest point," or like Puzzle Fighter's "The Longest Road" where you had to beat the game with Dan...those are th eones that make it all worth while.

Agreed. The Orange Box had some of the most creative ones to date, in my opinion. Ones that you have to grind for are fail. Also once in a lifetime achievements, I know there's two in NFS Prostreet, the "Race Day" ones or whatever. EA, piss off with that shit.

monkeysuit
12-29-2007, 11:52 PM
I think when the achievement system is done right, it's gold. It adds a whole new level of replay value to a game that maybe would have only gotten one play through.

Maybe one of the reasons Sony and Nintendo didn't throw achievements into the mix was out of fear of how much criticism they would receive for "copying" Microsoft? It probably would have given the fanboys that much more ammo to argue with.

boatofcar
12-29-2007, 11:54 PM
I don't think Nintendo and Sony are losing out too much on not having achievements. As someone above said, Sony has the trophy system which is pretty much the same thing, and as for Nintendo, well, just managing to keep track of all those friend codes is something of an achievement in itself.

I kid, I kid!

Anyway, most achievements are crap, at least in the 360 games I own. The ones that make you play X amount of games or X amount of hours are the worst offenders. I'm looking at you, Katamari.

WiseSalesman
12-30-2007, 12:50 AM
Maybe one of the reasons Sony and Nintendo didn't throw achievements into the mix was out of fear of how much criticism they would receive for "copying" Microsoft? It probably would have given the fanboys that much more ammo to argue with.

You might be right about Nintendo - they're usually way too arrogant to admit when someone else has a good idea. Sony though - no way. They're totally shameless about copying whatever works ... motion control, for example.

diskoboy
12-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Anyway, most achievements are crap, at least in the 360 games I own. The ones that make you play X amount of games or X amount of hours are the worst offenders. I'm looking at you, Katamari.

Sad fact - I've already gotten the 50 hour achievement.

Icarus Moonsight
12-30-2007, 01:01 AM
I'm not fond of achievements. It's an arbitrary number for Pete's sake! "Oh boy! Just hit 75k!!!" *fap fap fap* LOL

I prefer the good old fashioned easter egg or even unlockables/extras. Ya know, the achievements that actually do something for the game other than enlarge the ePenis. ;) You can get that stuff on the 360, I know. You pay for them in some cases though, and I'm also not keen on that either. The freebies on the other hand are nice, though it seems like a hand out to me and is somewhat insulting to a gamers pride. Weird, I know. O_O I'd prefer a system to earn that stuff or even a voucher system to trade in your accomplishments for the extra stuff. Sort of a merger of the achievement system and marketplace. Make that dl content a carrot-on-a-stick instead of a cash-cow and I'm all in. :D

Gorez
12-30-2007, 04:11 AM
ah i forgot with playstation's 'Home' there is going to be trophies for the games you beat or whatever...so thats similar.