PDA

View Full Version : Pro Gamer gets XBL account stolen for rare Halo 3 armor. (joystiq)

diskoboy
12-30-2007, 01:00 PM
And to add insult to injury, the guy no longer can gain access to his account.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/30/pro-gamer-gets-xbl-account-stolen-for-halo-3-armor/

PapaStu
01-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Intarwebs be serious business.

All kidding aside this (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/30/pro-gamer-gets-xbl-account-stolen-for-halo-3-armor/) article really got to me especially once I started to read the shit going down on their own forums (http://www.team-vbi.net/teamvbi/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3826) with this clan doing these hostile takeovers that they are doing, in what was initally just to takeover this guys armor as more noise is brought up, these guys start threatening DDoS attacks, take over other accounts and cause all kinds of shit purely because they feel like it. I really hope that Bungie and MS can get some serious hurt dropped on those fuckwads.

diskoboy
01-01-2008, 03:29 PM
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110912

I hope those fuckers get caught, and strung by their toenails.

cyberfluxor
01-01-2008, 04:19 PM
If people are calling the tech support and getting account information then that's a breach of your privacy. If credit cards and other financial information is linked then that may fall into federal territory.

ROTS MKII
01-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Nobody cares and this is why MMO games can't exsist since we have too many cheaters and too many smugged people.

Ponyone
01-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Intarwebs be serious business.

All kidding aside this (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/30/pro-gamer-gets-xbl-account-stolen-for-halo-3-armor/) article really got to me especially once I started to read the shit going down on their own forums (http://www.team-vbi.net/teamvbi/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3826) with this clan doing these hostile takeovers that they are doing, in what was initally just to takeover this guys armor as more noise is brought up, these guys start threatening DDoS attacks, take over other accounts and cause all kinds of shit purely because they feel like it. I really hope that Bungie and MS can get some serious hurt dropped on those fuckwads.

I just followed the forum story tonight... and already busted one of the perps. It's always good to go around stealing accounts and acting like hard shit, yet have a myspace with pics of your license plate number, where you work, go to school etc.

You got to check out this kid's pictures (I put them on page 20 I believe, maybe 21).

After seeing them, you'll see why he is the way he is.

Sailorneorune
01-01-2008, 11:02 PM
So here we have an irresponsible teenager (legally an adult now) with a sense of entitlement strong enough to knock a bull over. Big surprise.

Spoiled brats like this are definitely the reason why the only online games I play are on the DS.

His parents are probably clueless.

exit
01-02-2008, 01:39 AM
People like him make me sick, he hacked the guys account for no reason at all, someone should goto the Gamestop he works at and punch him in the teeth. I wonder how much longer until his co-workers and local customers find out about this, I'm sure his face will be red then.

His parents are probably clueless.

Just give it a few more days, I'm pretty sure a neighbor/relative will tell them the latest news about their asshole son.

xmagxus
01-02-2008, 07:21 AM
The account being stolen is wrong and should have never happened I hate people thatp ull that crap BUT with all that sad I cant say I feel the slightest bit of sympathy for this "pro gamer"

I dont see what he did to cause him deserving bungie/ ms employee halo 3 armor. If he's worthy of the armor then so is everyone that owns over 200 xbox 360 games. You don't see THOSE people getting exclusive armor.

I feel what happened to him is wrong but I dont feel bad for him.
(installs anti-flame shield)

geneshifter
01-02-2008, 09:10 AM
The account being stolen is wrong and should have never happened I hate people thatp ull that crap BUT with all that sad I cant say I feel the slightest bit of sympathy for this "pro gamer"

I dont see what he did to cause him deserving bungie/ ms employee halo 3 armor. If he's worthy of the armor then so is everyone that owns over 200 xbox 360 games. You don't see THOSE people getting exclusive armor.

I feel what happened to him is wrong but I dont feel bad for him.
(installs anti-flame shield)

I'm glad I don't live under your moral and legal justice system. What the crap happened to your sense of right and wrong??

jcalder8
01-02-2008, 09:40 AM
LMAO geez jealous much?
LMAO anti-flame shield?

He got it for having a "very popular Halo 3 video"

PapaStu
01-02-2008, 10:24 AM
His video did make the rounds right after people first started to post stuff thanks to the saved films options. It's not that its the ZOMG most amazing video ever, its just that he was the first to catch one in the head and make it known. Just like the Warthog flippers in Halo 1. The first one wasn't the best by far, but making that video opened the floodgates for pretty much everything else that got made.

http://gameroom.mlgpro.com/view/c2o6PCbPBhA.html

meancode
01-02-2008, 12:42 PM
I just followed the forum story tonight... and already busted one of the perps. It's always good to go around stealing accounts and acting like hard shit, yet have a myspace with pics of your license plate number, where you work, go to school etc.

You got to check out this kid's pictures (I put them on page 20 I believe, maybe 21).

After seeing them, you'll see why he is the way he is.

Wow the shot packing heat next to his license plate, that is really stupid. I hope MS is watching that thread and takes action against that kid. This is a really bad situation.

WiseSalesman
01-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Nobody cares and this is why MMO games can't exsist since we have too many cheaters and too many smugged people.

Are we even posting in the same thread? There's nothing about MMOs being said here. Also, please define "smugged" in this context.

Slate
01-02-2008, 04:03 PM
If those pictures are of him and that is his liscense plate.. Wow. What is the world coming to? Seriously, Who is that stupid? Nevermind, I can answer my own question: HIM.

I hope that the one guy gets his tag back. I'm going to post this on some other sites and let my friends know...

Ponyone
01-02-2008, 05:35 PM
they took another vbi member's account, and apparently started using his credit card.

Bye Bye fellows

xmagxus
01-02-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm glad I don't live under your moral and legal justice system. What the crap happened to your sense of right and wrong??

Nothing happened to my sense of right and wrong. I already said it is WRONG to steal other peoples accounts etc. All i'm saying is this alleged 'pro' gamer doesn't get any sympathy from me, what makes him more special than other gamers i bet he doesn't even support the gaming industry 1/4 as much as most of the members of digitpress. So why does he get special treatment from the industry? Oh cause he's a halo 3 expert that plays one or two games 24/7 instead of being a jack of all trades hardcore industry supporter?

I'm not condoning the criminal acts of theft, quite the opposite, but i sure as hell dont feel an ounce of sorrow for the guy it happened to, especially since it feels like he is getting some sort of special treatment from bungie or something for doing nothing.
Don't get me wrong, I hope the guy that stole his account gets caught and execute for treason (even if he hasn't committed acts of treason I have faith in our FBI that they can plant evidence on him and make him look like a terrorist so they can toss the maximum penalty at him. I'd be furious if someone stole my account but i'd have to be naive to think most of the internet would feel bad for me.

It's not like something happened to the guys real life family or something, kinda hard to feel bad for someone that has something happen to them via XBOX live when they had been given preferential treatment from bungie. Maybe if someone screwed up his credit, or tracked him down in real life and did something to him that way i'd feel bad though.

xmagxus
01-02-2008, 06:57 PM
LMAO geez jealous much?
LMAO anti-flame shield?

He got it for having a "very popular Halo 3 video"

Jealous? I dont even play halo 3 anymore I last played it like over a month ago. I'm not jealous, I just dont feel overly sympathetic for the guy. It sucks what happened but I don't feel sorrow for him in particular I don't see why that's so bad.

heybtbm
01-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Jealous? I dont even play halo 3 anymore I last played it like over a month ago. I'm not jealous, I just dont feel overly sympathetic for the guy. It sucks what happened but I don't feel sorrow for him in particular I don't see why that's so bad.

xmagnus...

After seeing your gamerscore, I'll offer you word of warning. I would think people with insanely high gamerscores would be prime targets for these hijacking douche bags.

I guess the lesson here is not to piss off any angry 13 yr. olds during your next online match or someday your account (and therefore all your achievements) might disappear. I'd try to remain as inconspicuous as possible.

xmagxus
01-02-2008, 08:30 PM
xmagnus...

After seeing your gamerscore, I'll offer you word of warning. I would think people with insanely high gamerscores would be prime targets for these hijacking douche bags.

I guess the lesson here is not to piss off any angry 13 yr. olds during your next online match or someday your account (and therefore all your achievements) might disappear. I'd try to remain as inconspicuous as possible.

Oh I know, In fact i've been threatened to have my account hacked by someone and I actually basically antagonized them saying it would never happen. This was like 4 months ago and my account is still totally untouched. However I am aware that for every wannabe hacker out there there is also someone that is actually capable of following through with the threats...

But I wouldnt expect people to feel sorry for me if it happened ;p I'd expect them to blacklist the actions of the guy that commited a criminal act but I certainly wouldnt feel bad if they didnt feel sorry for what happened to me, afterall Im just some guy on the internet.

Half Japanese
01-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Nothing happened to my sense of right and wrong. I already said it is WRONG to steal other peoples accounts etc. All i'm saying is this alleged 'pro' gamer doesn't get any sympathy from me, what makes him more special than other gamers i bet he doesn't even support the gaming industry 1/4 as much as most of the members of digitpress. So why does he get special treatment from the industry? Oh cause he's a halo 3 expert that plays one or two games 24/7 instead of being a jack of all trades hardcore industry supporter?

I'm not condoning the criminal acts of theft, quite the opposite, but i sure as hell dont feel an ounce of sorrow for the guy it happened to, especially since it feels like he is getting some sort of special treatment from bungie or something for doing nothing.
Don't get me wrong, I hope the guy that stole his account gets caught and execute for treason (even if he hasn't committed acts of treason I have faith in our FBI that they can plant evidence on him and make him look like a terrorist so they can toss the maximum penalty at him. I'd be furious if someone stole my account but i'd have to be naive to think most of the internet would feel bad for me.

It's not like something happened to the guys real life family or something, kinda hard to feel bad for someone that has something happen to them via XBOX live when they had been given preferential treatment from bungie. Maybe if someone screwed up his credit, or tracked him down in real life and did something to him that way i'd feel bad though.

Dick.

exit
01-02-2008, 09:52 PM

Dick.

I concur, it seems that you have the same sense of envy those kids had. It's not unfair that he received something from Bungie, they noticed something he did and it was their decision to give some kind of reward to him.

I also think you're missing the whole point of the situation, he cares more about the security (or lack of) than the silly armor that was given to him, since he could probably get it back from Bungie at any time. It's the only reason why the story is being spread around, since it seems to be a serious situation that the XBOX Live reps don't seem to care about. The kid leaving a trail is just an added bonus, since it seems that he's scared shitless and can't get out of the hole he dug himself into.

E Nice
01-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Wow. Reminds me of the that incident some time ago about some woman who brought her car to a shop and one of the mechanics took it for a joyride and bragged about it online and was caught for being so stupid.

Slate
01-03-2008, 12:17 AM
xmagnus...

Good point.

I think that if i'm going to play a game for single player (And only single player) I'll just stick to offline profiles. Like call of duty 2 for example.

Wow. Reminds me of the that incident some time ago about some woman who brought her car to a shop and one of the mechanics took it for a joyride and bragged about it online and was caught for being so stupid.

That reminds me of a tale of some burglers who stole a TV and forgot the remote, Went back to get it and got caught. From the way I heard it, It sounded like they went back hours later.

ProgrammingAce
01-03-2008, 02:44 AM
@xmagxus:

the dude was given the armor because he made Bungie laugh. I don't think there's a better reason to reward someone.

Vinnysdad
01-03-2008, 05:24 AM

Wow you got jealousy, conspiracy theories, and just plain asshole remarks all rolled into one! Good job.

xmagxus
01-03-2008, 05:37 AM
Wow you got jealousy, conspiracy theories, and just plain asshole remarks all rolled into one! Good job.

Please don't lie in this thread.

xmagxus
01-03-2008, 05:39 AM
I concur, it seems that you have the same sense of envy those kids had. It's not unfair that he received something from Bungie, they noticed something he did and it was their decision to give some kind of reward to him.

I also think you're missing the whole point of the situation, he cares more about the security (or lack of) than the silly armor that was given to him, since he could probably get it back from Bungie at any time. It's the only reason why the story is being spread around, since it seems to be a serious situation that the XBOX Live reps don't seem to care about. The kid leaving a trail is just an added bonus, since it seems that he's scared shitless and can't get out of the hole he dug himself into.

The guy that used forge mode to make 3d art was FAR more deserving of the armor than this guy was.

As for you and the other user calling me a dick - please dont lie - it makes people HATE you.

boatofcar
01-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Actually, your behavior in this thread is what makes people hate you. Your petty jealousy is really childish.

xmagxus
01-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Actually, your behavior in this thread is what makes people hate you. Your petty jealousy is really childish.

I'm not jealous, I've just seen more people far more deserving of what he recieved. I dont even play the game enough to care if I have the armor or not.
All I ever said was that I dont feel bad for the guy as there are far worse things that could happen its a game - I also said I hope the guy that performed the CRIMINAL acts gets whats coming to him.

Oh and people don't hate me in this thread, don't spread lies it's embarrassing.
Unless of course you'd like to prove me wrong and post complaints to the management at:
http://www.360voice.com/blog.asp?tag=jcnet

Half Japanese
01-03-2008, 12:06 PM
The guy that used forge mode to make 3d art was FAR more deserving of the armor than this guy was.

As for you and the other user calling me a dick - please dont lie - it makes people HATE you.

What's left to understand? This guy's video was one of, if not the first video made on Halo 3 to draw major attention and put the spotlight on the video features of Halo 3. I'm not even into Halo 3 and I managed to see it because it was so widespread. It made Bungie laugh and used their product in a funny way, so they rewarded the guy with a token (and that's it really, no more than a token) of their appreciation. Guy's account gets hacked and we all (well...almost) agree that it's a shitty thing to do and wish the guy the best of luck, as it speaks poorly for Xbox Live's security, and many of us here have Xbox Live accounts.

Instead you, with your presumed 200 Xbox 360 games, come and feel that because of your library of 360 games (are there even 200 worth playing?), you deserve the recon armor. Then you call anyone who doesn't agree with you a liar and act like the asshole you've proven yourself to be. That's what it breaks down to really: your sense of entitlement fails to let anyone else have something you don't have because you obviously deserve it more right?

So, to sum it up as succinctly as I did the first time: Dick.

smork
01-03-2008, 12:16 PM

How about tool? Seems to be the consensus here. And yes, I'm part of that consensus, as its pretty obvious you're slagging the guy because you'd rather have it than him. It's Bungie's game, they can reward whomever they feel like with whatever they want, and they chose to give a little something to a guy who promoted their game rather than someone who bought Pimp My Ride and Meet the Robinsons.

Anyway, I'd be pretty pissed at MS if they weren't helping me in that situ - I think they're a bit shitty anyway with Live and Gamertag issues, as i've a) lost a bunch of saves and achievements via an error (on my part) when I took my offline profile online and my tag was already taken (they were no help whatsoever in fixing my problem) b) become stuck with a tag associated to a country/address that I no longer live in, and can't change my profile to my new residence, even though its in the same region. Shitty. So I guess I'm not surprised.

s1lence
01-03-2008, 01:24 PM
I like how its turned from being a thread about someone getting their account stolen to a bash fest on Jcnet/xmagnus. People need to lighten up around here to other peoples opinions instead of thinking everyone is pissing in your bowl of corn flakes.

Drexel923
01-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I like how its turned from being a thread about someone getting their account stolen to a bash fest on Jcnet/xmagnus. People need to lighten up around here to other peoples opinions instead of thinking everyone is pissing in your bowl of corn flakes.

Yes...lets get back on topic or this thread will be locked.

unwinddesign
01-03-2008, 03:44 PM

I don't think it's a really a matter of people bashing xmagnus' "opinion." I think everyone is just really confused as to why he's so upset about this guy receiving recon armor. It's just a small thank-you from Bungie, not the Purple Heart or some shit.

Somehow, this situation doesn't surprise me at all, but calling the kid a "hacker" is just wrong. This kid wouldn't know a hacker if it bit him in the ass and then hacked all of his XBL accounts. They really need to do something about this on XBL customer support, otherwise every 12 year old you smoke in Halo 3 will be haxxorzing your account within minutes.

I was pretty pissed when MS suspended me for absolutely zero reason, since it meant I had $300 in content I couldn't access. If someone stole that from me, I'd be pissed as hell. Thank god I'll never have this armor.

meancode
01-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Yes, as Drexel has said, I would like to get back on topic here too.

I read now that another vbi team member had their account taken, and that the credit card was accessed. Now, that scares me. It is not like it is any harder for someone to take a credit card number from a stlen PSN account, but its something that we have yet to deal with in this generation of consoles.

Why haven't we heard anything from Microsoft on this issue? If I were them, I would want to put Xbox LIVE subsribers minds at ease, or at the very least tell us SOMETHING other than "we are investigating the matter."

xmagxus
01-03-2008, 09:02 PM
What's left to understand? This guy's video was one of, if not the first video made on Halo 3 to draw major attention and put the spotlight on the video features of Halo 3. I'm not even into Halo 3 and I managed to see it because it was so widespread. It made Bungie laugh and used their product in a funny way, so they rewarded the guy with a token (and that's it really, no more than a token) of their appreciation. Guy's account gets hacked and we all (well...almost) agree that it's a shitty thing to do and wish the guy the best of luck, as it speaks poorly for Xbox Live's security, and many of us here have Xbox Live accounts.

Instead you, with your presumed 200 Xbox 360 games, come and feel that because of your library of 360 games (are there even 200 worth playing?), you deserve the recon armor. Then you call anyone who doesn't agree with you a liar and act like the asshole you've proven yourself to be. That's what it breaks down to really: your sense of entitlement fails to let anyone else have something you don't have because you obviously deserve it more right?

So, to sum it up as succinctly as I did the first time: Dick.

95 percent of the users on this site are hardcore gamers and/or hardcore collectors. Almost all of us support this industry 50 times more than anyone else, every member of digitpress is more worthy of special gaming treatment than a sniper shot suicide glitch >.>
Industry support aside, I have seen far more interesting videos relating to halo 3, I think the guy that created 3d art with the forge when he created that 3d face on sandtrap is FAR more deserving of special armor yet bungie intentionally overlooked him, that's pretty much BS imo.

But I suppose me saying that someone else was more deserving of the special armor makes me 'jealous' I've already stated its WRONG to steal someones account, my statements saying that there are more deserving people out there that should have the special bungie armor and that I do not feel all that bad for the guy since this is afterall only a videogame and not some real life harm coming to him do not imply in any way shape or form that I am jealous or that I condone criminal acts. Quite the opposite actually.

BTW I flamed ONE of you violently in my 360voiceblog posting one of your deepest darkest secrets... don't believe me!? check out the link and see for yourself to see if I am telling the truth or not go to:
http://www.360voice.com/blog.asp?tag=jcnet

>.>

Oh and as for calling me a dick again, all that does is make you look like an underage user, especially if you think Im trying to say I deserve special treatment and no one else does just cause I have over 200 360 games.
Oh wow I own 200+ 360 games, that gives me so much bragging power on this site when there are users with COMPLETE ps one collections, 10,000+ games, etc. Yep I'm definitely acting elitest here!!11

xmagxus
01-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Oh and if you guys want the truth here at least in terms of my opinion. Despite what the news reports on it say I honestly believe the guy probably shared or shares his account with clan members as some clans have a history of doing sometimes. I wouldnt be surprised if it was one of his clan buddies that stole it rather than doing what the news is reporting about someone getting his password through the microsoft support service. The guy claims he changes his password frequently and doesn't share his account... but honestly this is the internet people can lie easily. Would you really go out and publically tell people "yep I gave out my login info like an idiot and had it stolen"

I honestly dont think xbox live is unsecure as the internet media sites try to make it out to be, the only people I know of that have had their accounts stolen were people that have given their passwords out at least once to someone they met over the internet. This mainly happens to account traders that trade for achievement points. I dont feel this guy was an achievement cheater but I do think being in a big clan/league he might have had a couple 'close' friends that he shared his account with. Heck he might have given out his password so some of his clan mates could try out the recon armor, and ended up getting owned for it.

xmagxus
01-03-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't think it's a really a matter of people bashing xmagnus' "opinion." I think everyone is just really confused as to why he's so upset about this guy receiving recon armor. It's just a small thank-you from Bungie, not the Purple Heart or some shit.

Somehow, this situation doesn't surprise me at all, but calling the kid a "hacker" is just wrong. This kid wouldn't know a hacker if it bit him in the ass and then hacked all of his XBL accounts. They really need to do something about this on XBL customer support, otherwise every 12 year old you smoke in Halo 3 will be haxxorzing your account within minutes.

I was pretty pissed when MS suspended me for absolutely zero reason, since it meant I had $300 in content I couldn't access. If someone stole that from me, I'd be pissed as hell. Thank god I'll never have this armor.

The term hacker has evolved in recent years Hacking doesnt just mean knowing leet programming languages and such, it is now more of an umbrella term that covers quite a few things.
For instance people largely refer to Sufoor ()admin of 360gamesaves) as an achievement hacker - he can unlock any achievements he wants without actually meeting the requirement. Is he actually hacking achievements? No he is using a hypervisor exploit and requires the XTC (i believe thats the right file name) file of each game disc in order to utilize it. He isn't hacking merely exploiting an oversight from MS - but I still call him an achievement hacker and so do many others.
I, and many others will also refer to as the stealing of someones account as 'being hacked'
It is not to be taken literally that we all think a guy brute forced his way into a guys account but it's just a figure of speech I suppose that has evolved in the last two years or so.

exit
01-03-2008, 09:15 PM
First you say you flamed someone and posted a secret of theirs on your blog, then say that people calling you a dick makes them look like an underage user. That sir, makes you look like a complete dick and a hypocrite, a hypocritical dick. But this subject is getting old and just leads back to same conclusion most of us came to, you're a complete dick.

Anyway, it doesn't surprise me that Microsoft is ignoring this entire situation, they'll take notice once things get even more out of hand.

Half Japanese
01-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Anyway, it doesn't surprise me that Microsoft is ignoring this entire situation, they'll take notice once things get even more out of hand.

Worked with the red ring of death, right?

carlcarlson
01-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Worked with the red ring of death, right?

exactly, though they've handled that one fairly well I think. this problem is potentially much worse though, because a credit card and personal information in the wrong hands can ruin someone's life for awhile.

and someone here needs to count to 10 and calm down...

Drexel923
01-04-2008, 12:35 AM
Apparently no one wants to let this thing be. Both sides need to cool off.