PDA

View Full Version : I'm craving Street Fighter 2

venturousviking
12-30-2007, 01:01 PM
With the recent Street Fighter 4 previews I am once again craving a old fashioned Street Fighter 2 game. I am looking at both Capcom Collections for the PS2 since you seem to be able to pick these up used for a reasonable price. I have the original SF2 collection for the PS1 but wished I had gotten the 2nd collection. Are the Capcom collections for the PS2 good ports or should I just pony up the outrageous price for the 2nd SF2 collection for the PS1? Seems that the Hori sticks for the PS2 are one of the best for fighters. Has anyone tried any other brand fighting sticks that they would recommend?

ubersaurus
12-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Ugh, Capcom Classics. They're considered to be among the worst of the SF2 ports.

The reason is the speed. It shifts constantly during a match, so if you're a hardcore SF2 fan, it'll mess up your timing on everything. There's also severe input lag from when you push a button to when they do anything...something like 8 frames more than the actual game. Again, it'll mess up the play experience.

I'd just stick with the PS1 ports.

Horis are nice. I have one of those old Pelican real arcade sticks. They're decent with the default parts, but the fact you can replace them easily with other arcade parts are their major draw.

kainemaxwell
12-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Feels like the difficulty was increase don the Capcom Classics ports also (even at the lowest levels).

XYXZYZ
12-30-2007, 03:23 PM
I have not noticed the speed issues Ubersaurus mentioned on the Xbox version of CCC1. But the sound effects are wrong, and there are little things like how the music stops after a round instead of fading out as in the arcade version. But overall it was a decent port.

The PS1 collection is a more accurate port, but the loading times are slower. Or, you could always do the MAME thing...

RadiantSvgun
12-30-2007, 03:30 PM
There is always the Anniversary Collection. It has SFII and SFIII. And the Street Fighter stick is really sturdy and is ps2/xbox compatible.

venturousviking
12-30-2007, 03:41 PM
There is always the Anniversary Collection. It has SFII and SFIII. And the Street Fighter stick is really sturdy and is ps2/xbox compatible.

Is the Anniversary Collection a better port than the Capcom Classics?

Frankie_Says_Relax
12-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Hmm, I never noticed any speed variations or 8-frame delays on special moves in the Capcom Classics Collections...

...though, I'm not really a "hardcore" tournament playing SFII player.

(If you're not, you likely won't notice either.)

The Street Fighter Anniversary Collection packed with Street Fighter III is an interesting SF II interface, it's Street Fighter II Championship Hyper Fighting edition, but you can select the "style/game variant" per character selected ... so it's not really a port of any arcade version, per se

... you can have a Street Fighter II : The World Warriors Ryu Vs a Street Fighter II : Champion Edition Chun Li ...

I'm not sure how that game fares with "hardcore" SFII fans, but from what I've played of it (the majority of my time spent with that release was with SF III) it was pretty nice.

XYXZYZ
12-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Is the Anniversary Collection a better port than the Capcom Classics?

That collection contains SFIII 3rd Strike, and "Hyper SF2", the game Frank just described. But be warned that Hyper SF2 is INCREDIBLY FSKING HARD. I can finish SF2 and SF2 CE on the highest difficulty in one credit (sometimes) but it still takes me 4-8 credits to finish Hyper SF2 on the easiest setting. If you're not a super-awesome hardcore Street Fighter player, HSF2's going to rape you, kill you and leave your body in a ditch.

And I just played a game of CCC SF2-CE for Xbox, in spite of all those little inaccuracies I mentioned, it's still a solid game of SF2 for a great price. You may want to investigate the speed issues for the PS2 version though.

kedawa
12-30-2007, 04:48 PM
That collection contains SFIII 3rd Strike, and "Hyper SF2", the game Frank just described. But be warned that Hyper SF2 is INCREDIBLY FSKING HARD. I can finish SF2 and SF2 CE on the highest difficulty in one credit (sometimes) but it still takes me 4-8 credits to finish Hyper SF2 on the easiest setting. If you're not a super-awesome hardcore Street Fighter player, HSF2's going to rape you, kill you and leave your body in a ditch.

And I just played a game of CCC SF2-CE for Xbox, in spite of all those little inaccuracies I mentioned, it's still a solid game of SF2 for a great price. You may want to investigate the speed issues for the PS2 version though.

Hyper SF2 isn't that hard if you use the right character. WW Blanka can destroy the CPU with ease.
I can't say much about the CCC versions, but anniversary collection for PS2 is solid, as is SFA Anthology.

spoon
12-31-2007, 03:52 AM
Pick up a Saturn and the Saturn SF Collection. Then you could import Capcom Generations Vol. 5. That is the Saturn equivalent of PS SF Collection V.2.

I also like the Anniversary Collection. You could pick up a Street Fighter stick. It is easy to replace the parts. I am not a fan of the Anniversary edition SF control pads.

Pilotwings
12-31-2007, 05:00 AM
What about the streetfighter HD remix on x-box live soon?

Is that not going to be the best?

ubersaurus
12-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Hyper SF2 is not the same as SF2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting. Hyper Street Fighter pretty much is capcom throwing together the versions of the characters from all the different versions in one game. It's a separate entry in the SF2 series. The reason the CPU is so ridiculous is because it's the same AI used in Super SF2 Turbo, which pretty much just reads your inputs and responds with a move that'll beat what you did.

HD Remix is going to have both a remix mode and a port of the arcade game, based off of the Dreamcast code. So that one should be good :P

MarioMania
12-31-2007, 03:23 PM
HD Remix is going to have both a remix mode and a port of the arcade game, based off of the Dreamcast code. So that one should be good :P

I thought it going to be the HD Remix only

ubersaurus
12-31-2007, 03:27 PM
I thought it going to be the HD Remix only

Nope, it has both. The one fellow working on the game who's also a competitive SF player, Sirlin, made sure that they included the original game(albeit with the fancy graphics) for the hardcore purists. The remix is a rebalanced mode where characters have been tweaked to be on a more level playing field.

MarioMania
12-31-2007, 03:31 PM
So let me get this right..the Original game will be like the DC version..Same Grafix from 1994 & the HD remix going to be better

Damaramu
12-31-2007, 03:49 PM
I was under the opinion that the original game (graphics and all) would NOT be included, only this new HD version, along with the tweaked mode will be available.

MarioMania
12-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Same here..But when he said Dreamcast Code..The Arcade Original would be based on the DC port..I want to see proof of the DC Mode & HD Remix Mode

venturousviking
12-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Hmmm....HD Remix sounds promising especially with the multiplayer. I just hope they have all the lag bugs worked out this time. I might just hold out for it unless I can find one of the other PS2 versions for cheap. What about sticks? Seems like the X-Arcade would be a good choice since it works with all systems with an adapter. Any other good choices?

Rob2600
12-31-2007, 05:06 PM
If you have an SNES, you could just play one of the Street Fighter II games on that.

venturousviking
12-31-2007, 05:09 PM
If you have an SNES, you could just play one of the Street Fighter II games on that.

Nah....I have all the control pads I need. Every time you play Street Fighter on a control pad, God (or insert deity of choice) kills a kitten.

Rob2600
12-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Nah....I have all the control pads I need. Every time you play Street Fighter on a control pad, God (or insert deity of choice) kills a kitten.

You could use the SNES Advantage joystick. People are selling them on Amazon.com for $10 to $20:

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Advantage-Joystick/dp/B0009O8UDG/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1199140141&sr=8-1

ubersaurus
01-01-2008, 03:40 AM
I was under the opinion that the original game (graphics and all) would NOT be included, only this new HD version, along with the tweaked mode will be available.

Yes, in both cases it's the HD graphics...just one is the arcade settings and shit, and the other is the tweaked one.

As for sticks, I picked up a hori stick for 360 which shouldn't be too bad for the game. I don't think x-arcades are made for ps3 and 360?

XYXZYZ
01-01-2008, 04:56 PM
You could use the SNES Advantage joystick. People are selling them on Amazon.com for $10 to $20:

SNES Advantage isn't good for Street Fighter, the button layout is too weird. The Capcom Fighter Power stick is a much better option.

Still, if you're not after acquiring any new consoles or anything like that, and just have a hankering to play some Street Fighter, just grab the Capcom Classics Collection 1 and a joystick; the Nubytech 15th Anniversary stick feels pretty uncomfortable compared to better hardware, but it works. The PS1 ASCII arcade stick is fine too, and not too expensive. But if you can find one the Hori Tekken 5 stick is the best thing you can get without getting into $100.00+ stuff.

Nirvana
01-02-2008, 12:18 AM
I was actually just about to say...are there any good fighting game designed controllers for the 360? I mean, the D-Pad for the normal controllers ain't bad, but if there's anything better, I'd love to know.

GhostDog
01-02-2008, 02:16 AM
If you want a Street Fighter fix then you should definitely invest into getting a copy of SF Anniversary Collection. I also had a craving for some Street Fighter and bought my copy of SF Anniversary Collection yesterday for XBox. What a fantastic package. You get Third Strike, SF Anniversary and the animated film all on one disc. I was getting tired of the loading screens of SF Collection for Sega Saturn so I went out and bought SF Anniversary Collection which doesn't have any loading and gets to the action right away without any disruptions. The loading screens are only annoying on SF Collection for Saturn if you play 1-player. If you're focused on 2-player matches in the VS. mode then SF Collection for Saturn would also be a fine choice since there are less load screens and they don't bother me in the VS. mode as they do in the Arcade mode. Anyway, you should get SF Anniversary Collection because it gives you all the Street Fighter action you could want. Having Third Strike and SF Anniversary on one disc makes this a must-have for any Street Fighter fan.

ubersaurus
01-02-2008, 04:29 PM
I was actually just about to say...are there any good fighting game designed controllers for the 360? I mean, the D-Pad for the normal controllers ain't bad, but if there's anything better, I'd love to know.

I've had no problem with the Hori joysticks.