PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever gotten out of gaming?

Fearless
12-31-2007, 11:51 PM
I started playing mmo's on the pc and was real close to getting rid of all my console stuff. I held off but was real close. Any of you ever gotten out then came back?

ScourDX
01-01-2008, 12:19 AM
I got out of gaming when SNES was in decline and 32bit system was on the rise. Eventually I got back into gaming thanks to emulation. So after I start collecting games.

TurboGenesis
01-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Not totally but in the later 1990's - the era of the PlayStation, Saturn, and the N64, I was pretty much not playing games. I was into getting messed up and chasing women. My age was 21 in 1997. The only games I play during this time was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, NHL '97 (this was a party game with friends -- we used to do tournaments and had a trophy), and Tales of Destiny.

In December 1999 I got Gran Turismo 2 and thats all my friend and I play.

In Spring of 2000, I play Soul Caliber and buy a Dreamcast just for that game.

Then in October 2000 I purchase a PlayStation 2 with Tekken Tag Tournament and use the PS2 more for DVD viewing :embarrassed:

In February 2001, my home was robbed and my Dreamcast and PS2 were stolen. While waiting for insurance, I brought out my NES and my Turbo Duo and rediscovered classic games. I then made many trip to Funco and buy games. While at Funco, I buy Genesis and SNES games as well and bring those console out of storage and hook them up too just like when I was in high school. I discover this site and got back into video games all over again!

So in concluding, I took break from video games for a time of around 1996 to 2000. Now I cannot stop playing games!

Fearless
01-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Hey Turbo, ya, I'm close to your age. I go through stages. Sometimes I want out, then I get the urge and cant stop playing. I think my patience has gotten less. I use to have no problem playing a 40+ hour game. Now, after about 5 hours, I get bored and want to move onto something new. I also realized that I still have games sitting around that have never been opened and I cant tell you when or if, they ever will get opened. To me, thats a bad sign. Do I buy them to play them, or do I buy them to just buy them!

retroman
01-01-2008, 01:14 AM
That would be a NO.

Push Upstairs
01-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Not really, I just bounced from console to PC then back to consoles again.

Gorez
01-01-2008, 02:58 AM
Not really, I just bounced from console to PC then back to consoles again.

same.

FlufflePuff
01-01-2008, 09:07 AM
I completely skipped the N64/Playstation/Saturn era. I had hit high school and noone was really gaming that much so I stopped. I still played some PC games here and there, but I didn't get back into gaming until my sophomore year of college. Unfortunately for me, I had sold all my SNES stuff when I got out. :( Lot's of complete RPGs.

heybtbm
01-01-2008, 09:21 AM
I swear we had an identical thread at DP about this exact subject a year or two ago. Anyway...

I almost completely stopped gaming during the bulk of my college years (late 1999 through early 2003). Too many other distractions. Any gaming I did was mostly PC games (99% consisting of Age of Empires 2, Diablo 2, and Spider Solitaire) during that time.

The impending release of Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker was what brought me back to consoles...well that generation of consoles anyway. I bought a Gamecube in February 2003. And yes, I did buy a Gamecube before I bought a PS2 or Xbox (WTF was I thinking?).

bangtango
01-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Like a few people have already said, I was pretty much "out" between the mid-1990's to about 2001. Pretty much the whole 32/64-bit era. About the only thing I was playing was the Sega Genesis and that playtime was scant. Especially after I broke an RF cord (had no AV at the time) and there were no places that I knew of still selling new Genesis parts. I don't know how the hell I ever ending up getting another cord, since nobody had them locally unless I wanted to purchase another complete system. Ebay, I guess? I actually owned an N64 during this time, which I had gotten for Christmas not too long after its release but I literally never played it.

Around the time I got back into gaming, about 2000-2001, I ended up buying a used 2600, Saturn, 3DO & Jaguar all in one fell swoop, decided to concentrate on that dust-collecting N64 a little more and also picked up a new-in-box Dreamcast when it was priced at $99.99.

I think part of the problem, for me, was that I had other things on my mind. Couple that with the fact I was a little pissed the 16-bit era was ending and I didn't have nearly enough money to buy the (expensive) new systems from the newer generation.

Fearless
01-01-2008, 10:08 AM
I made the same mistake......I bought a gamecube on launch day....what a stupid idea that was....:grumble:

Kejoriv
01-01-2008, 11:05 AM
i skipped the whole n64/playstation era. went from snes right to xbox

NE146
01-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Yes.. during the crash (which I wasn't aware of.. I only knew I couldn't find any more games) my 5200 went under my bed and I went out and mainly tried picking up chicks other things during most of high school.

Then I picked up a Famicom and went to college LOL

Overbite
01-01-2008, 11:20 AM
I don't play them as much as I used to, but I still play

UniHamachi
01-01-2008, 02:39 PM
I skipped the entire 8-bit era and didn't get back into it until the tail end of the 16-bit era, circa 1993.

During the PS2?Xbox/GC era, I got a GC on launch and ended up mothballing it for 5 years. I just got back in when I bought a Wii this summer.

RCM
01-01-2008, 02:45 PM
I've never considered getting rid of my library but did think about taking a break towards the end of '07. I have hundreds of games and little to no time to really play. It kind of depressed me. I'm trying to make more time for gaming, hope it works out!

ROTS MKII
01-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I am too quick and too fast for these people anymore. They might have fooled me once, twice, and three times in a row but they will not fool my children.

In terms of me stopping period I stopped supporting the drug adicts and drop outs of GameStop.

Jimid2
01-01-2008, 06:46 PM
I got out of gaming from about 1995 to 1999 or so... I moved in with my girlfriend in the early 90s when our daughter was born; she ended up in school nights while I was working full time days, so I had zero time to play... combine that with the fact that she always kind of frowned on the hobby (she thought I was wasting my time when I should be playing in bands and writing) and we really needed the money, I decided to sell all my systems... These included a Neo Geo AES with 11 games, a TurboDuo and TurboExpress with all the add-ons and over 100 games, a Genesis w/ CD and 32X and godknowshowmany games, a Jaguar with more than 20 games, a couple of Lynxes with 78 games, etc. etc. I took the money and bought us some furniture and a new computer for her to write her doctorate on...

A couple years later she left me for one of her professors... bitch. Guess how much of the furniture I ended up with... LOL

Oh well, live and learn... Today, things are much happier - my current wife doesn't mind any of my weird hobbies, and my teenage son is my co-conspirator in much of what I get up to that's game or music related... I still occasionally wish I hadn't sold all that great kit though... I really miss the TurboDuo...

NES_Rules
01-01-2008, 07:02 PM
I quit playing during the end of the N64 days, I got a Gamecube in 2002-ish and came back in stronger than ever. I sold a few of my games, but luckily no systems.

Poofta!
01-01-2008, 07:06 PM
hmm a lot of similar responses here. i too was out-of-the-loop for most of the 90s. but i think i was mostly playing pc games and not giving a crap about what was going on in the console realm.

these days with work and my gf, i hardly play, but collect.

PentiumMMX
01-01-2008, 08:00 PM
I got out of gaming for a few months in early 2003 after finishing all of my N64 and Game Boy games 100% other than F1 Pole Position 64 (Hated it) and Donkey Kong 64 (Missed one item, keeping me from a full 101%). I wanted a Gamecube so bad, and I had nothing left to do on my N64 or Game Boy, so it was a dark time for me.

diskoboy
01-01-2008, 08:06 PM
My gaming haitus was between 1996-1999. I wasn't impressed with pretty much anything that came out during the 32/64-bit era - with the exception of a few PC games.

9/9/99 was the day I made my triumphant return to hardcore gaming. :)

otaku
01-01-2008, 09:08 PM
I haven't (yet) but I've only been at it 11 years. You were still gaming by the way just on a different platform. All I can see holding me back are these things:

work/finances
women-god how I love them but they require so much time it leaves little for gaming

ssjlance
01-01-2008, 09:57 PM
My focus switches around a lot. Just gotten back into it actually, play FFVII about two or three hours a day. Got some games lined up for after I beat it (Dirge of Cerberus, Alundra, Chrono Cross, etc.)/ Usually something happens that makes me switch out of/into it. Like I get a new date and I spend a lot of time with them, or I burn myself out. Or I play Castlevania while tripping on acid, but that is a story I never want to relive so we'll leave it at that. LOL

Nirvana
01-01-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm not particularly into gaming as much as I used to, but I don't think I'll EVER get to a point where I'll want to sell my systems and stuff.

I always think about it like this. The money I'll get for selling that stuff will be spent on food and other stupid stuff. My games and consoles have been with me for such a long time.

digdug
01-02-2008, 08:15 AM
I got out of gaming from about 1995 to 1999 or so... I moved in with my girlfriend in the early 90s when our daughter was born; she ended up in school nights while I was working full time days, so I had zero time to play... combine that with the fact that she always kind of frowned on the hobby (she thought I was wasting my time when I should be playing in bands and writing) and we really needed the money, I decided to sell all my systems... These included a Neo Geo AES with 11 games, a TurboDuo and TurboExpress with all the add-ons and over 100 games, a Genesis w/ CD and 32X and godknowshowmany games, a Jaguar with more than 20 games, a couple of Lynxes with 78 games, etc. etc. I took the money and bought us some furniture and a new computer for her to write her doctorate on...

A couple years later she left me for one of her professors... bitch. Guess how much of the furniture I ended up with... LOL

Oh well, live and learn... Today, things are much happier - my current wife doesn't mind any of my weird hobbies, and my teenage son is my co-conspirator in much of what I get up to that's game or music related... I still occasionally wish I hadn't sold all that great kit though... I really miss the TurboDuo...

I really think you and i went through similar times in our lives. I was married to this bitch and she HATED that I was still playing games and it almost convinced me to get out of gaming (even though I was a manager at EB Games at the time). Needless to say we got divorced (thank GOD) (and I had to sell stuff to survive) I did sell a BUNCH of my stuff (hitting myself now for doing so) and I have never really recovered my collection to the status it once was before I was with her.

I too had all the rare systems (Vectrex, Adventurvision, etc) and they were all in perfect condition.

I to go through phases. I have since gone back to college and now finishing my degree in May. There are days that you want to concentrate on your career but I think gaming is the one thing that will always be there for you. I have a girlfriend now that supports (or more importantly accepts) how much I enjoy gaming.

I think as gamers we all go through phases where we have MORE then we think can ever play (but that is what makes us collectors). I think we also have times that we want to give it up and do other things in our lives. For the most part all of us (i don't mean to speak for us all) come back to the thing that makes us happy and that is gaming.

Dig Dug

Im done ranting

FrakAttack
01-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Got rid of everything in the mid '90s. Huge regret. Even if you stop playing for a while I wouldn't recommend totally "cleaning house" cuz there's always storage for the good stuff.

Icarus Moonsight
01-02-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm sure I've mentioned this before in another, older, thread, but... I'll chime in anywho. :p

After the Saturn's Swan Song concluded I was wrecked for console gaming for a while. I had a playstation for a bit but, for me, it just couldn't compare to my Saturn. So I sold it (the psx) off. N64 never really impressed me enough to go out and buy one. My friends and I would nerd-up with an N64 alot. We played Goldeneye TO DEATH. lol My Saturn stuff was eventually lost. I'm not going to get too much into that because the details still makes my blood boil and I end up drawing circles calling down dark deities and wishing ill upon others. I gave what was left of my Saturn games to a friend. Got back in touch with them recently and they didn't have them anymore... bummer. Anyway, while all this was going on, pretty much without my notice, I discovered Blizzard PC games. Diablo and Starcraft was a one-two punch that landed me square in PC gaming territory. For the next year and a half battle.net was my second home. Then I got into Quake 2, Dune 2000, Total Annihilation, Unreal, Half Life and a whole slew of others.

As was stated already, 9/9/99 brought back my console enthusiasm. Which led to another wreck, only with a more final result. :/ I hung with consoles after the DC because, honestly, the PS2 and GC fuckin rocked compared to the PSX and N64... well, to me anyway. ;) Sometime during the summer of 2005 I considered getting out of modern gaming and just sticking with classic consoles and the venerable GBA. Then in Sept the same year Iwata introduced the "Revolution" to the world and I instantly decided to hang with it. Consoles were beginning to look very good again.

In short... yes. lol

Oobgarm
01-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Took an unexpected break from 1993-1996 due to school. Other than that, no.

p_b
01-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Took an unexpected break from 1993-1996 due to school. Other than that, no.

Wow, that quite a short spell of education :)
SCNR

Slate
01-03-2008, 10:58 AM
I tried to get out of gaming awhile back. I think it was in fall 2006.

RASTAN
01-16-2008, 07:03 PM
I started playing mmo's on the pc and was real close to getting rid of all my console stuff. I held off but was real close. Any of you ever gotten out then came back?

This is sorta/kinda what I'm doing now. *Coming Back* into video gaming after a rather long hiatus (as of the last 8 months). I'm STILL getting rid of the three arcade cabs [one of which is a NEO:GEO] I have in my house, sold off most of my systems and just don't care overall. But I have dove deep into the portable gaming scene, and more to the point the Nintendo DS + the GBA lineup. I never liked the idea of gaming on the go really, but at almost age 30 working ridiculous shifts/hours, and trying to raise an over energetic 2 year old daughter... well, I really don't have time for much else. Though I'll never let go of my PS2 slimline, Sega Mega Drive, Famicom AV and Atari 7800 ProSystem.

I'm simply amazed at a lot of the stuff coming out on the DS and PSP, and didn't even know until like a week ago, that Dracula X: Rondo of Blood had finally made the jump over to the US via the PSP. I mainly look into "portable" gaming however, due to the fact I'm still pro 2-D at heart, and the hand held realm truly is the last bastion of that medium. I have great fear in my heart for what will happen to that medium when the DS and PSP finally burn out the last of their lives. By then I'm sure EVERYTHING will be 3-D and photo-realistic. I'm not back in the full sense, but I've returned to "gaming" none the less.
8-)