PDA

View Full Version : Should I call xbox live about this?

Fearless
01-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Listen to this one. While playing the orange box, team fortress, capture the flag tonight, 2 gamers started cussing at the other players on the team because we were losing. I stood up for them and then they jumped on me. They said they were brothers and that they were going to kill my family and then rape them after they were dead. They then said they would burn them like black people but they used the N word. They told a 12 year boy on the team they were going to tie him up and rape him, then stab him in the throat. I told them I was filing a complaint, they said, we dont care, nobody is going to do anything cause they are all just a bunch of N's. They then got their friends to send mail to me threatening to kill me, stab me, rape me, that they would make everyone their slaves. The messages are still in my mailbox. They continued to harass and threaten anyone that joined the team. Of course I left, but then I got bombarded with hate mail. They said they were going to make up stuff and get their friends to file complaints on me. I filed like 9 reports on them in 20 minutes. What really gets me is that they really seemed to not care, i told them they were reported and they said, "we dont care, tell them n's to *^&(*(%(" What steps do I take if any? I wrote the gamertags down, they were LT Loucks06 and Sublimedcloud

Half Japanese
01-02-2008, 12:14 AM
I'd say take it as far as you feel compelled to. We'd all be in your debt if you got these two missed opportunities for abortions banned from Xbox Live. In all honesty, it's probably just a bunch of good-for-nothing shitheads, but if you can get them and their ilk banned, it's worth a shot.

Frankie_Says_Relax
01-02-2008, 12:22 AM
I've never seen Microsoft take any type of action for language violation.

It would probably help if you had some type of audio/video to back it up, which nobody ever really does in the heat of the moment.

But there's no reason not to report them if you feel like you've been wronged. And if somebody said that they were going to rape me, my family, my pets, or anything living MUCH LESS dead ... I'd feel the desire to do so myself.

Nesmaster
01-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Xbox Live. Serious business.

Graham Mitchell
01-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Wow, that's pretty abusive. I just joined live myself. I've gotten a little attitude from stupid teenagers and nerds because I'm not good at Forza but nothing on that level. Get those fuckers banned.

BTW-did anyone catch the "Gayboy" video?

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8087&Itemid=52

evil_genius
01-02-2008, 01:30 AM
Dude I was just joking, relax.

Trebuken
01-02-2008, 03:22 AM
If it continues, report it to the police and let them contact Microsoft. a recording would be nice but the e-mails could work too...

I'd just avoid them and see if they go away.

gepeto
01-02-2008, 07:25 AM
These are just stupid ignorant kids. Like the one that cracked on joe paterno this weekend. Nothing more here than ignorance and immaturity. The media tried to bait joe but he called it for what it was and moved on. Report there gamertags and move on.

segagamer4life
01-02-2008, 07:57 AM
this is a cheesy option, but you could always inform an admin on the forum xbox forums, I doubt that might change things, but it doesn't hurt to have the option.

heybtbm
01-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Penny Arcade said it best...

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/8215/20040319hgl7.jpg

Neil Koch
01-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Unfortunately, that just sounds like pretty typical behavior for Xbox Live in open games, which is why I don't really miss voice chat on Wii online games.

Isn't there some way to block individual gamertags? That might be the best route to go.

XYXZYZ
01-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Is this where video games are headed?

punkoffgirl
01-02-2008, 09:15 AM
I don't see why you bothered to go back and tell them you reported them. You've done what you can, interacting with them further only left you open for more harassment.

Gorez
01-02-2008, 09:31 AM
i can ask my girlfriend if they would do anything about that. she currently works for the company that does xbox live and xbox hardware tech support. will let you know later today.

Slate
01-02-2008, 10:05 AM
They sound like a couple of idiots who don't have any respect for anything. Personally I think the best thing to do in a situation like that is either ignore them, mute them or leave, Because they don't care. They don't seem to want attention, They just want to make people feel bad because it gives them a good feeling or something.

Heck, I was insulted because I told someone to calm down. Xbox live.. There is nothing else like it. x_x

And by the way, I'll file complaints against them too.

segagamer4life
01-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Penny Arcade said it best...

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/8215/20040319hgl7.jpg

fuckin hilarious

G-Boobie
01-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Welcome to Xbox live.

Given a choice of putting the xbox headset or a pistol to my head, I will always take the pistol.

Reporting them does nothing. Talking to forum admins at Xbox.com does nothing. Xbox live is like the wild west; anything goes, because everyone is paying for it, and Microsoft is loath to punish 'customers'.

I have a friend who was banned for modding his Xbox; other than that, I've never heard of anyone being banned for language or behavior. Has anyone else?

Dragon Warrior Jasen
01-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Unfortunately, its not limited to XBOX Live either. I have been playing COD4 pretty heavily on PS3 (never bothered to get it for my 360) and when you unlock the clan tag you get the goofy [XXXX] thing if you want it.

Being clever, I used [USN] Because I am in the Navy. The other day I was playing and a pair of players had the audacity to use [KKK]. I got stuck on thier team and of course they played like morons with no tactics so I chose to go it alone. All I heard the entire time was "Gator, you stupid NI***R... why are you going that way?" Add the really bad southern accent and I was ashamed to be from Florida.

Sometimes ignorant people like this make me so angry... much like your situation I got pissed because they were being jerks. Granted, no threats were made other than the "well hang you, you stupid NI***R" when I called them ignorant trailer trash.

Id report it. There is no room in the "sane" video game realm for these people.

mills
01-02-2008, 01:20 PM
It's not just bad language, they were using threats of physical and sexual violence.

They think they're so fucking bad ass on Live. Send their local police to their home and see how bad they are then.

Frankie_Says_Relax
01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Welcome to Xbox live.

Given a choice of putting the xbox headset or a pistol to my head, I will always take the pistol.

Reporting them does nothing. Talking to forum admins at Xbox.com does nothing. Xbox live is like the wild west; anything goes, because everyone is paying for it, and Microsoft is loath to punish 'customers'.

I have a friend who was banned for modding his Xbox; other than that, I've never heard of anyone being banned for language or behavior. Has anyone else?

Honestly, without plies of hard evidence, I can't see anything happening.

Microsoft simply does not punish for language violations (I'm not even sure XBL HAS language RULES, much less violations), regardless of the alleged threats of violence (which is, again, why you'd need physical evidence of some sort).

However, if you want them banned, you can tell Microsoft that they're all playing on modified systems with games dumped to the hard drives. They'll lifetime ban their IP and Gamertags for THAT.

Sad really.

diskoboy
01-02-2008, 02:09 PM
This is precisely why I don't play online.

But personally, I'd be threatening those kids, and everyone they know, within an inch of their lives.. I don't put up with teenage bullshit, the rare occasion I do play online. Being 6ft 2 and about 210lbs also kinda helps....

But if it continues - call the police. Not MS.

Neil Koch
01-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Welcome to Xbox live.

There was a story a while back about people getting banned for making cars in PGR (?) with swastikas on them, but no, you never really hear about people getting banned for the most part.

I don't know how things work on the 360, but with all the free trials that were given out for the Xbox1 version of Live, banning people was kind of a moot point anyway.

And it's not just Xbox Live, even the "family friendly" Wii has stupid crap going on, like people posting Miis of Hitler to the Check Mii Out channel.

unwinddesign
01-02-2008, 08:07 PM
I've done some pretty heavy trash talk on Xbox Live, but I never went the racist/I'm going to rape your mother route.

There's a certain level of trash talk/messing around that I find acceptable, but being a total asshat is just not good. I know some people in real life who got shit on a lot, so that went all out on Xbox Live with the racist/asshole cards. The thing is, the microphone really gives you an anonymous persona that can be completely different than who you are in real life.

My policy is, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face, then don't say it over the microphone.

While what the kids did is obviously wrong and a violation of the TOS, Microsoft isn't going to do shit. They're a dime a dozen on XBL.

Although if you report someone enough/go high enough up the chain, apparently you can get something done. I [without my knowledge] got suspended from XBL for a TOS violation. Knowing that I haven't talked on the mic in at least a year, I was confused. At first, I thought they were going to make me change my GT (Fuzzy Johnson), but apparently people had been reporting me for having "load up on drugs" [reference to a Nirvana song] as my motto and "damn I'm good" for my bio. Never heard any complaints in-game about them, so I don't know if a bunch of people turned me in, or one of Microsoft's computers/bots found it [if they even have those patrolling on Xbox Live].

So, if you still have the racist messages in your inbox on XBL, there's a shot [since there's evidence] that you can do something about the situation.

Half Japanese
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Wow, that's pretty abusive. I just joined live myself. I've gotten a little attitude from stupid teenagers and nerds because I'm not good at Forza but nothing on that level. Get those fuckers banned.

BTW-did anyone catch the "Gayboy" video?

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8087&Itemid=52

I'll bite and play devil's advocate here. I've played Halo 2 with a guy using a similar name (probably no connection, I'd wager), who did nothing but talk about gay sex and his boyfriend in the classic stereotypical 'gay voice.' The guy I played with was just baiting people into making easy homophobic remarks based on his name and behavior. To make matters worse, he was absolutely terrible at the game and had no business playing online. Who's really at fault here, in this case? I'd say both are equally to blame, if the baiter isn't technically more at fault.

As an aside, to those that don't wear their headsets on Live: why not? It takes 5 seconds to mute an annoying prick, but it can take 30 minutes or more to lose a game that could have been won with a little communication. I know quite often in ranked matches on Team Fortress 2, a good host will boot micless players to make the match more even for both teams, and I can't blame 'em. If you want matches with nil communication, might I suggest the Playstation 3 or Wii's underwhelming online experiences? There's a reason the mic comes with the system.

Graham Mitchell
01-02-2008, 09:41 PM
I'll bite and play devil's advocate here. I've played Halo 2 with a guy using a similar name (probably no connection, I'd wager), who did nothing but talk about gay sex and his boyfriend in the classic stereotypical 'gay voice.' The guy I played with was just baiting people into making easy homophobic remarks based on his name and behavior. To make matters worse, he was absolutely terrible at the game and had no business playing online. Who's really at fault here, in this case? I'd say both are equally to blame, if the baiter isn't technically more at fault.

As an aside, to those that don't wear their headsets on Live: why not? It takes 5 seconds to mute an annoying prick, but it can take 30 minutes or more to lose a game that could have been won with a little communication. I know quite often in ranked matches on Team Fortress 2, a good host will boot micless players to make the match more even for both teams, and I can't blame 'em. If you want matches with nil communication, might I suggest the Playstation 3 or Wii's underwhelming online experiences? There's a reason the mic comes with the system.

I had some reservations about posting that video because I think most of the people making the comments were just playing around with a person they assumed was comfortable with it, and he went and used it demonize them, which is unfair. If you've got a screenname like xxXGayBoyXxx you're asking for it, plain and simple, and the guy probably had to be okay with people having a little fun with it, which is a actually a show of maturity and good coping skills on his part. Heck I even found some of them kind of funny, and he'd have to be an asshole to not feel the same way on some level.

However, some of those comments were heinous. The one that was most profound was "Gayboy, you're going to burn in hell" coming from a girl, of all things.

Rev. Link
01-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I've had some experiences with jerks on Live before, though nothing like this. I was playing Halo 3 just the other week. While waiting for the match to start, one player who sounded like he was 8 years old proceeded to call everyone in the room a fag. "Rev. Link, you're a fag!", as soon as he came into the match! I didn't even have my mic plugged in, he was just trash talking to everyone for no reason.

So I did what I always do when I run across crap like this. I muted him, and after the match I gave him a negative feedback (thus ensuring I never have to play him again). In some cases, I also submit a complaint to Microsoft, though I know that doesn't count for much. But that's the best way to handle anything stupid on Live. Just mute them and neg them, you'll never see them again.

As for this particular case, I'd definitely try to contact someone at Microsoft, considering the fact that these children made death threats and threats of sexual violence. I believe that that is a pretty serious offense, especially if you still have the e-mails. Finding a way to get copies of those e-mails to those kids' local police would really teach them a lesson.

Gorez
01-02-2008, 10:20 PM
i talked to my lady who works for the company that does xbox tech support. and she said if its a complaint to report it to xbox.com and that what her company works on is the issues like bugs and glitches and things of that nature with xbox live.

so...sorry i wasnt any help.

s1lence
01-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Nice to see that Halo 2 players have moved on to other titles.

PsychoCandy
01-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Man, I had some great times playing Halo II with people like that. I'd just ignore it if I had a dime for every time someone said similar remarks to me I'd have an xbox 360.

segagamer4life
01-10-2008, 11:50 AM
here is a helpful link from XBOX.com here goes on the subject.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/live/ti-obnoxious.htm

ZackyH
01-10-2008, 12:53 PM
If they're threatening people through e-mails that's abusing the e-mail system and they can be blocked off of their e-mail or Internet service for that. You can report the e-mails to their e-mail service provider. You'll have to do a search of the provider's site to find the e-mail address and the instructions to report it.