PDA

View Full Version : Wii Question

digdug
01-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Question for all you savy hookup people. I have a Linksys Wireless router. I have my PS3, X-Box 360, and 2 PC's hooked up to it via wired (they are all in the same room). Can I also have my Wii hooked up to it via Wireles adapter? If so any suggestions on how to do it?

Thanks

Dig Dug

PsychoCandy
01-03-2008, 12:22 PM
It SHOULD, automatically find the access point if it's wireless, but I've heard of and been having a lot of trouble getting a stable internet connection via my router out of the Wii.

Chadt74
01-03-2008, 12:51 PM
I have my wii wireless use my router that I have PS2/Xbox and main computer hooked up to as well. Also the Wii's wireless is internal, no need for an adapter and I have never had a problem with it. Good luck.

Mayhem
01-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Wireless wise you probably should input the SSID, channel, encryption type and key into the Wii settings and you'll be good to go. That's all I needed to do for mine (mainly because I block the broadcast of the SSID for starters).

Habeeb Hamusta
01-04-2008, 01:11 PM
uhh yeah you shouldn't have to do any of that...the wii is wifi and it should pick up the signal no problem...the is no adapter

Mayhem
01-04-2008, 02:02 PM
I've turned off the SSID broadcast for starters, so if you scan the airwaves for signals, technically you won't see the router exists. Unless you already know the SSID of it.

I've also employed WPA encryption (pretty much a must if you use wireless) so you need to enter that into the Wii so it can decrypt the signal on its end.

Anyone not doing that is far more liable to have their signal pinched, intercepted or sniffed for secure information.

Chadt74
01-04-2008, 03:18 PM
What about using MAC address filtering as an alternative

Mayhem
01-04-2008, 07:55 PM
You can do that as well. In all honesty, a really dedicated hacker will get past most of it anyhow (though the encryption will take them a fair while) but using encryption and added security (through SSID blocking and MAC address) will deter most people trying to nick your signal.